• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Prey” Movie’s Shield and Tomhawk Inspired by God of War, Director “Extremely” Excited for Ragnarok

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
god-of-war-1536x864.jpeg

prey_trlr_089427_K.jpg

The newly released movie “Prey” has been the talk of the town in the entertainment industry because of how critically acclaimed it was.

Recently in an interview, Prey’s director Dan Trachtenberg revealed how the protagonist’s and antagonist’s gear were directly influenced by Sony Santa Monica’s God of War, and how excited he is for the sequel, God of War Ragnarok to launch.

This was revealed in a recent interview with CassiusLife, where the Dan Trachtenberg confirmed that the Predator’s shield in the film and Naru’s tomahawk were both inspired by the God of War 2018 video game.

Trachtenberg also mentioned that he’s “extremely” excited for God of War Ragnarok, too.

Dan Trachtenberg states:

“The answer is extremely…It was the Predator’s shield (that was inspired by Kratos’ shield) and it was her (Naru’s) tomahawk that she makes (that was inspired by Kratos’ axe), because she throws it and pulls it back, it was very much inspired by that game (God of War).”

Kuranghi

Its great but I miss the simplicity of old God of War, the new one is better in almost every way except boss fights, variety of enemies and most of all the gear is too complicated, Kratos would never change his pants mid adventure.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Is the movie any good though?

I find it really weird given how a hard time our boy Arnold had it beating up the Predator, and then seeing a strong independent tribe woman finishing one off with sticks and stones.

8BiTw0LF

Banned

I find it really weird given how a hard time our boy Arnold had it beating up the Predator, and then seeing a strong independent tribe woman finishing one off with sticks and stones.
I think it's on par with Predator 2.

Not the same predator and not the same tech.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Prey was a boring Predator movie. Not bad, not good. They never make monster movies right anymore, showing the Predator all the time just fucking sucks.

The only thing I'd ever want to see is never going to happen, now that Disney owns the IP.

batman-vs-predator-1.jpg

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I think it's on par with Predator 2.

Not the same predator and not the same tech.
So the Predator against Arnold was a high tier one, while the one in this movie is a low budget gear Predator?

They are more or less bounty hunter with gear depending on their skills?

8BiTw0LF

Banned
So the Predator against Arnold was a high tier one, while the one in this movie is a low budget gear Predator?

They are more or less bounty hunter with gear depending on their skills?
The Predator in Prey is a Feral Predator. Low ranked and not as tall as the Hunter Predator from the first movie. Their tech is also not as evolved.

Prey was a boring Predator movie. Not bad, not good. They never make monster movies right anymore, showing the Predator all the time just fucking sucks.

The only thing I'd ever want to see is never going to happen, now that Disney owns the IP.

batman-vs-predator-1.jpg

There is no point in not show the predator. We all know how he is, his abilities, most of motivations. This concept of "don't show the monster, make mysterious", work the first time.
Sure, the movie can try to hide him, you can try to act surprised when he show up and be pathetic as the other movies that still try that

RAIDEN1

I would love to see "Prey" the game based on the movie, it could be like Red Dead Redemption but with the sci-fi vibe...it has been a while since we have seen a Predator stand-alone game..

TheKratos

It was terrible, not just the tiny girl wrestling big boy predators but also other fight scenes. Don't want to spoil it too much but at one point you see Predator destroying an entire army and after that he gets whooped by tiny pocahontas.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this shit...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Yeah its great but it sounds like you made up your mind about the movie already. (and simultaneously forgot how Arnold beat the first Predator with sticks and stones lmao)

MarkMe2525

So it seems as if this predator fight fire with fire. What I mean is, if someone is using projectile weapons, he uses projectile weapons, if someone is using blades, he uses blades. This holds steady throughout most of the movie (not all). They drive this home when he takes on a large animal (I'll avoid spoilers) and the way he takes on that challenge is telling.

This predator is also in her home turf which plays a part in some instances of the movie. Remember, he is on an alien world, fighting creatures (humans included) he doesn't fully understand.

While stating she defeated him with "sticks and stones" may literally be true. That's like describing shooting someone with a shotgun as defeating someone with "an outburst of multiple BB's".

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
There is no point in not show the predator. We all know how he is, his abilities, most of motivations. This concept of "don't show the monster, make mysterious", work the first time.
Sure, the movie can try to hide him, you can try to act surprised when he show up and be pathetic as the other movies that still try that

Bullshit. It has a point. Go watch Jaws. Go watch The Grey. The monster should be a part of the payoff, not of the buildup. Knowing the Predator already is irrelevant.

Prey's not bad in that it could truly be worse. But it is not really good at much. It could be worse, as they could have tried to do what they did with "The Predator" and filled it with stupid shit trying to be funny. It could be much better, as they could have cut showing too much of the predator meandering around being a predator, doing his thing with the wildlife too often; and instead focused on building tension.

Nobody should be seeing that big dickhead in the space lizard suit Hulk jumping through tree tops, or out there landing to investigate a scene so often. They copped out on the mud and herbal camo shit beyond reason and made the whole movie more retarded than it needed to be. There were better ways to handle the franchise throwbacks. The movie jumps the shark.

The amount of bullshit time wasted on the axe fishing quicksand trope had me rolling my eyes more than anything.

JoduanER2

Not deserved of the praise is getting, bad sfx but otherwise enjoyable and worth watching but nothing too exciting. Is forgetable but i would say good protagonist (not woke as some people are saying.. and im hypersensitive to that shit) and easy on the eyes 😁. The thing is the game and movie industry is so dead nowadays that people get excited for anything mildly good.

It was terrible, not just the tiny girl wrestling big boy predators but also other fight scenes. Don't want to spoil it too much but at one point you see Predator destroying an entire army and after that he gets whooped by tiny pocahontas.

Drunkards collecting Buffalo skins is not an army.

sendit

Agreed. Arnold had it rough during the first movie.

Last edited:

JoduanER2

Bullshit. It has a point. Go watch Jaws. Go watch The Grey. The monster should be a part of the payoff, not of the buildup. Knowing the Predator already is irrelevant.

Prey's not bad in that it could truly be worse. But it is not really good at much. It could be worse, as they could have tried to do what they did with "The Predator" and filled it with stupid shit trying to be funny. It could be much better, as they could have cut showing too much of the predator meandering around being a predator, doing his thing with the wildlife too often; and instead focused on building tension.

Nobody should be seeing that big dickhead in the space lizard suit Hulk jumping through tree tops, or out there landing to investigate a scene so often. They copped out on the mud and herbal camo shit beyond reason and made the whole movie more retarded than it needed to be. There were better ways to handle the franchise throwbacks. The movie jumps the shark.

The amount of bullshit time wasted on the axe fishing quicksand trope had me rolling my eyes more than anything.
The Grey is far better
you know Sony. Its what they do.

Make games that are beloved by the movie industry. All started with the SoTC.

atleast one of you snowflakes admits youre all sensitive to empowered female protagonists.

Fu*k off you piece of s*it. Please ban this asshole. I didnt say anything insulting and you start insulting me? I bet you are one of those insane woke fuc*kers who believe they are an it and a gender fluid crazy

Did you saw the original Predator?
Arnold was a super marine and a squad formed by the best of the best super strong dudes. The thing is, none of then could go hand to hand combat with a predator,no one can. The fight must be won by a plan, set somekind of trap. Arnold never won by wrestling the predator. In this case, you sex, weight, high, and weapons is irrelevant, that's not how you will fight the predator, because he will always be superior in those things.

And a movie is about that, the tiny chance that someone have, like a miracle of winning the fight. In a almost infinity times,the predator won against any human or other race in the universe, but in this especial situation,that girl won or Arnold won. That's why it's a movie.
If it was a predator vs a army general, they would just nuke the predator, end of the history.

In this kind of histories we can't go hand to hand or even think about power levels, because the monster will always win. It's about been smart.
Now, how could a simple 1700s person outsmart a super advanced warrior alien, that travels galaxies just to fight and get stronger in tactics, this we can discuss and not that girl or anyone in our planet could do that.

coffinbirth

Arnold was a super marine and a squad formed by the best of the best super strong dudes. The thing is, none of then could go hand to hand combat with a predator,no one can. The fight must be won by a plan, set somekind of trap. Arnold never won by wrestling the predator. In this case, you sex, weight, high, and weapons is irrelevant, that's not how you will fight the predator, because he will always be superior in those things.

And a movie is about that, the tiny chance that someone have, like a miracle of winning the fight. In a almost infinity times,the predator won against any human or other race in the universe, but in this especial situation,that girl won or Arnold won. That's why it's a movie.
If it was a predator vs a army general, they would just nuke the predator, end of the history.

In this kind of histories we can't go hand to hand or even think about power levels, because the monster will always win. It's about been smart.
Now, how could a simple 1700s person outsmart a super advanced warrior alien, that travels galaxies just to fight and get stronger in tactics, this we can discuss and not that girl or anyone in our planet could do that.
Did you watch Prey? Or any Predator films?
It takes place 270 years before the original Predator.

The entire throughline between all of the Predator films is that they learn how to be better Predators through hunts. This is the beginning of that. On top of that, the Predator that is dropped on Earth is a rookie just like her. This was telegraphed heavily throughout the film. Remember how it lost? Complete lack of understanding how it's own equipment worked. This mirrored the weakness of the army that it in turn defeated. That is DIRECTLY tied to the ending of Predator 2.

sendit

The Grey is far better

Fu*k off you piece of s*it. Please ban this asshole. I didnt say anything insulting and you start insulting me? I bet you are one of those insane woke fuc*kers who believe they are an it and a gender fluid crazy
xYAfwVn.jpg

TheKratos

I mostly agree but the scene where big boy gets ambushed and somehow the French miss all their shots just piss me off, just have him stalk and hunt em down instead of full brawl where the French forgot they got guns or miss every shot.

In the original Predator the entire squad got picked out 1 by 1 and Arnold learned how it hunts, Arnold was an experienced fighter too.

Prey literally shows the girl got lucky twice, against the lion and the bear. Hell the bear scene was ridiculous, Predator literally punched the bear to death but later on he's struggling with the girl. This wasn't a perfectly excuted plan either, she literally tussles with the Predator in a melee fight and ends up in the perfect spot as if everything was according to plan.

Just terrible storytelling but like I said, I'm getting too old for these type of movies where all "logic" is lost for sake of entertaining scenes.

Top Bottom