• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“South Park” Scrubbed From Chinese Internet

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I’m more surprised it was allowed there before this episode aired.

The Chinese government has reportedly deleted all clips, episodes and discussions of the Comedy Central series “South Park” following the show’s most recent episode “Band in China”

One of the episode’s storylines sees Randy getting caught attempting to sell weed in China and getting sent to a work camp where he runs into an imprisoned Winnie the Pooh (the Chinese government has been known to aggressively censor Winnie the Pooh).

A second storyline follows Stan, Jimmy, Kenny and Butters forming a metal band. A manager wants to make a film about them, but the script keeps changing so that the film can safely be distributed in China. The episode also takes shots at Disney.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Are they gonna nuke a country because someone shows a picture of Pooh Bear to Xi?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
South Park is literally the Simpsons at this point though. Based Chinese censors.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
How do you not expect this as someone making the show. Come on.

Fear mongering all day all night on the news, constant coverage of trade war nonsense, 中共 being the center of everything related to bans, protests in HongKong SAR, and Taiwan... and then you make an episode about drugs (illegal in China) and being sent to a camp (sensitive issue) like no one's gonna do anything about it. Always hated South Park tbh. Fight me though.

brap

Banned
Always hated South Park tbh. Fight me though.
>me when I'm trying to fight 심포니 and his room is filled with taiwanese ladyboys
giphy.gif

lock2k

Banned

Fear mongering all day all night on the news, constant coverage of trade war nonsense, 中共 being the center of everything related to bans, protests in HongKong SAR, and Taiwan... and then you make an episode about drugs (illegal in China) and being sent to a camp (sensitive issue) like no one's gonna do anything about it. Always hated South Park tbh. Fight me though.
South Park is life.

Blade2.0

Nothing the episode said was wrong tho.

Last edited:

Carton

Who said they didn’t expect this? I doubt Matt and Trey care that the Chinese government went all 1984 on them. It makes China look ridiculous and only validates the fear mongering.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Lol all I'm saying is it's less about expecting it and more why fan the flame... Obviously to Americans in a democratic(?) soceity CPC shit looks ridiculous.

Also brap brap fam... wrong place "pie_tears_joy:

Mistake

For those of you who don’t know, chinese people have something called “losing face” which makes them unable to take jokes or understand the consequences of their actions, mostly in the older generations. Also, mocking political figures is banned, same as North Korea.

Fun fact, when Albert Einstein’s diary was discovered bashing chinese people, he also got banned on many of their platforms

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
maybe you do expect it but since you have already been millionaires for decades you don't care, since any blowback will just least to positive press for you & you looking like you are "fighting for freedom" by taking a super easy potshot. it's not like China can do anything to upset Matt & Trey's empire.

any blowback they get from China is more than compensated for by them looking like heroes in America. this and the last episode alone have convinced leftists they are "on their side". if anything, it's just a good marketing move.

Last edited:

nbcjr

maybe you do expect it but since you have already been millionaires for decades you don't care, since any blowback will just least to positive press for you & you looking like you are "fighting for freedom" by taking a super easy potshot. it's not like China can do anything to upset Matt & Trey's empire.

any blowback they get from China is more than compensated for by them looking like heroes in America. this and the last episode alone have convinced leftists they are "on their side". if anything, it's just a good marketing move.
Leftists like China, your argument makes no sense.

cryptoadam

Banned
China
China

China FUCK YEAH
Comin agian to save the motherfuck'n day
China FUCK YEAH
Communism is the only way

Capatlist your game is through
Cause now you have to answer to
China FUCK YEAH
So lick my butt and suck on my balls
China FUCK YEAH
What you gonna do when we come for you

Its a dream we all share
A hope for Tomorrow

Tencant FUCK YEAH
WeChat FUCK YEAH
Ali Baba FUCK YEAH
Sina Weibo FUCK YEAH
Baidu FUCK YEAH
Xiaomi FUCK YEAH
ZTE FUCK YEAH
Organ harvesting FUCK YEAH

#Phonepunk#

Banned
eh, without this controversy, it would be a waste of time crap episode. there weren't many actual jokes. it wasn't all that funny past the idea of murdering Winnie the Pooh. which is, like, something they could have thought of in the 90s. it was funny bc it was so violent and edgy, might as well be a Family Guy/Robot Chicken sketch or something.

they picked a trendy topic and gave it their typical edge treatment. same with the last episode tbh. they think they have important things to say but seem to be stating really obvious points that have already been made. they just do it in their crass way. they are good at exploiting the trendiest topics, which helps them appear relevant.

i guess how far they succeed is mostly dependent on whether or not you buy the execution. i mean come on people were satirizing Mickey Mouse on album covers in the '60s, 50 years ago. this isn't some original thing they are doing.

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

You think they didn't expect this? That was the literal point of the episode. China banning the series is literally proving them right.

Lol all I'm saying is it's less about expecting it and more why fan the flame... Obviously to Americans in a democratic(?) soceity CPC shit looks ridiculous.

Also brap brap fam... wrong place "pie_tears_joy:

Well yeah because it is Winnie the pooh is banned because of a vague resemblance to their president for goddsake.

And the chinese government act like a child throwing a tantrum at even the most mundane shit.

buizel

Banned
I always figure surely theres a plethora of wealthy philanthropists over here that could upset the establishment over there, yknow - send everyone a custom cake in the shape of winnie the poohs face and a message 'with love from xi jinpong' or whatever

Last edited:
Top Bottom