• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Speed”, “higher frame rates”, and “a more powerful CPU” are major goals for Xbox Scarlett

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to Aaron Greenberg, Microsoft’s GM of games marketing, Xbox is focusing on raw power, speed, and computational heft when it comes to the release of Project Scarlett.

“The team that built Xbox One X is building Project Scarlett,” Greenberg said. “I think we’re really proud of the fact that we built the world’s most powerful console. We want to continue to not only focus on power, but also add things like speed, enhanced frame rates with a more powerful CPU, and we want to give those capabilities to our game developers.

“We’re meeting with game developers, we’re going and meeting with them, actually, right now, and they have dev kits. We’ll hear more from them in time, but we know, so far, the feedback initially is they’ve been really excited about our plans, and we’ll share more – I mean, next year is really, for us, is going to be all about Project Scarlett.”

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Good but I only playsingle player games and framerate is a 2ndary thing there.
Death stranding felt great with it's incredible graphics and motion handling is very good thanks to it's motion blur at 30fps. I would prefer better graphics and resolution and 30fps. At least for single player games. 60 would be perfect for sp games though

nikolino840

Good but I only playsingle player games and framerate is a 2ndary thing there.
Death stranding felt great with it's incredible graphics and motion handling is very good thanks to it's motion blur at 30fps. I would prefer better graphics and resolution and 30fps. At least for single player games. 60 would be perfect for sp games though

LOL

I have fighted for many many many years about 30 vs 60 fps

I thought gamers wants 60 fps... i don't understand now...i'm confused....a lot confused...

Phil Spencer years back for the the fact of pushing resolution said "60 fps Is cool but 30 Is enough" so was right?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
LOL

I have fighted for many many many years about 30 vs 60 fps

I thought gamers wants 60 fps... i don't understand now...i'm confused....a lot confused...

Phil Spencer years back for the the fact of pushing resolution said "60 fps Is cool but 30 Is enough" so was right?

I don't care anymore really. I just want best possible graphics for my games and if it's stable 30 fps then it's ok. I would not want Death Stranding to look worse and play at 60.
I'vs had 240hz gsync and 144hz monitors on pc. It is great but I always come back to 4k 60 pc gaming. I just want best graphics fidelity and no aliasing.
But it's just me. I am that kinda of person. years after playing a game, I will remember how great it looked and not how fast it ran. I just want responisveness. 4k 60hz freesync monitor locked at 58fps to stay in freesync range is my current perfection

Last edited:

nikolino840

I don't care anymore really. I just want best possible graphics for my games and if it's stable 30 fps then it's ok. I would not want Death Stranding to look worse and play at 60.
I'vs had 240hz gsync and 144hz monitors on pc. It is great but I always come back to 4k 60 pc gaming. I just want best graphics fidelity and no aliasing.
But it's just me. I am that kinda of person. years after playing a game, I will remember how great it looked and not how fast it ran. I just want responisveness. 4k 60hz freesync monitor locked at 58fps to stay in freesync range is my current perfection
I believe this too but i have received lots of dislikes...so in that old interview Spencer was in the right?

sendit

Devs will determine fps and how much they want to push the graphical boundaries of a closed box.

Also, “the worlds most powerful console” because you released a year later and at 100 dollars more against this gens best selling console.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If there are no mandates, then I won't hold my breath. Will the Zen2 allow for more breathing room, absolutely, it will also have an impact on PCs early on with less chance of "brute forcing" double or triple framerates at the same fidelity. But as mentioned, devs will choose their own design decisions.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
cute.

4k 60fps is a bitch even on PC so no chance will a console manage it. maybe if they go to 1440p they might get to about 65-75fps. if they want close to or above 100fps then it'll be 720-1080p.

and the funny thing is these consoles are using an AMD Zen 2 cpu which is NOT good for high refresh rate gaming. the new Ryzen CPUs are great but if you want pure gaming performance then you can't beat Intel.

not only having weak CPUs but consoles are small form factor and have crappy airflow. you can't just increase framerate without a shit load of heat being thrown out.

so yeah, good luck Xbox.

Last edited:

Romulus

cute.

4k 60fps is a bitch even on PC so no chance will a console manage it. maybe if they go to 1440p they might get to about 65-75fps. if they want close to or above 100fps then it'll be 720-1080p.

and the funny thing is these consoles are using an AMD Zen 2 cpu which is NOT good for high refresh rate gaming. the new Ryzen CPUs are great but if you want pure gaming performance then you can't beat Intel.

not only having weak CPUs but consoles are small form factor and have crappy airflow. you can't just increase framerate without a shit load of heat being thrown out.

so yeah, good luck Xbox.

Have you played Forza 7?l X1X? 4k 60fps with high settings. It looks phenomenal too. Sure, it's a racer, but we're talking about the X1X, a console with a CPU less capable than an intel I3 and it still hit those numbers. Even Gears 5 runs at 1540p-4k 60fps, again, on a complete shit CPU. Even if that zen2 isn't an intel, its lightyears ahead of the Jaguar, not to mention more GPU grunt and bandwidth for the Scarlett. I think.4k 60fps will be thing more than people think. They can also do checkerboard 1800p 60fps, which is what I think will be the sweet spot next gen.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I took it as more stable framerates and 60fps on more open world games.

Anyway, I’m excited for next year.

pr0cs

Wait what? If you still think MS has a games problem. Then Xbox just isn't for you. Its like MS can come with 1000 AAA games but if none are for you just stick to PS threads and stop shittin up MS threads.
It's the reboot of the ps3 has no games meme, now with more Microsoft

Wait what? If you still think MS has a games problem. Then Xbox just isn't for you. Its like MS can come with 1000 AAA games but if none are for you just stick to PS threads and stop shittin up MS threads.
Coming from someone that has owned all their consoles and 2/3 were my main consoles, their game output this year and last year sucked, they still have a problem.

Sephimoth

Have you played Forza 7?l X1X? 4k 60fps with high settings. It looks phenomenal too. Sure, it's a racer, but we're talking about the X1X, a console with a CPU less capable than an intel I3 and it still hit those numbers. Even Gears 5 runs at 1540p-4k 60fps, again, on a complete shit CPU. Even if that zen2 isn't an intel, its lightyears ahead of the Jaguar, not to mention more GPU grunt and bandwidth for the Scarlett. I think.4k 60fps will be thing more than people think. They can also do checkerboard 1800p 60fps, which is what I think will be the sweet spot next gen.
Isn't Gears 5 4k 60 too? Maybe I imagined that...

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
speedbusjump1200-600x315.jpg

Jtibh

Banned
I just wish people wouldnt be soo cheap and demand champagne taste on a beer budget.

I would be perfectly fine with a 600 dollar box. Its a long therm investment into a quality product.

And with the current consumer oriented efforts from microsoft the price would be justified.

"Respond intelligently, thanks." Actually address their output this year and last year instead of giving me a non-response.
Open your eyes and ears and you can see they are making moves to course correct. You're acting as if they have not bought a ton of studios and just announced new IPs just days ago. If it's not to your liking well that's your problem, not theirs.

Last edited:
Open your eyes and ears and you can see they are making moves to course correct. You're acting as if they have not bought a ton of studios and just announced new IPs just days ago. If it's not to your liking well that's your problem, not theirs.
No your acting as if they just put out a dozen AAA games and people are still saying they have a problem. They haven't actually proven anything yet. How are you gonna say the problem is solved and people are living under a rock when their output is still lagging behind the competition.

Just because they announced some indie sized games yesterday you expect people to say, Woooo Xbox is back baby!

No your acting as if they just put out a dozen AAA games and people are still saying they have a problem. They haven't actually proven anything yet. How are you gonna say the problem is solved and people are living under a rock when their output is still lagging behind the competition.

Just because they announced some indie sized games yesterday you expect people to say, Woooo Xbox is back baby!
The moves they are making have impressed everyone but the fanboy. Do you fall into that category?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I just wish people wouldnt be soo cheap and demand champagne taste on a beer budget.

I would be perfectly fine with a 600 dollar box. Its a long therm investment into a quality product.

And with the current consumer oriented efforts from microsoft the price would be justified.
I would too.

But most gamers would rather have a $400 console, and spend the extra $100-200 on pizza, Starbucks and a few cases of beer, rather than skip that for the month and sink that money into a better system that will last at least 5 years.

Go figure.

The moves they are making have impressed everyone but the fanboy. Do you fall into that category?
LOL yea I'm a Sony fanboy even though I have more OG Xbox games than PS2 games and more 360 games than PS3 games. Is this your go to response?

People want to see results pure and simple, the lack of games problem isn't gonna go away until they put out more games, it sounds crazy I know. You expect people to say, hey I didn't get that many quality exclusives for my Xbox one, but Microsoft purchased some studios so I'm happy.

Jtibh

Banned
I would too.

But most gamers would rather have a $400 console, and spend the extra $100-200 on pizza, Starbucks and a few cases of beer, rather than skip that for the month and sink that money into a better system that will last at least 5 years.

Go figure.
Or they rack up a 300 dollar phone bill cuz they have to youtube all day on the go.

No its sad how people think nowdays.

LOL yea I'm a Sony fanboy even though I have more OG Xbox games than PS2 games and more 360 games than PS3 games. Is this your go to response?

People want to see results pure and simple, the lack of games problem isn't gonna go away until they put out more games, it sounds crazy I know. You expect people to say, hey I didn't get that many quality exclusives for my Xbox one, but Microsoft purchased some studios so I'm happy.
Well what more does a company have to do to show you that they are making moves. They have more shows then anyone else they are consistently showing us whats coming and what they are doing. They are spending that money like nobodys business and the games take time to make. Now if they were on radio silence and not letting us know what's coming then I would be all for the "where's the games".

Well what more does a company have to do to show you that they are making moves. They have more shows then anyone else they are consistently showing us whats coming and what they are doing. They are spending that money like nobodys business and the games take time to make. Now if they were on radio silence and not letting us know what's coming then I would be all for the "where's the games".
So nobody should criticize their shitty first party output the past two years because they might finally fix that in 2-3 years? You do a shitty job and you get criticism for it, that's the way things work, nobody is exempt from that, not even the all mighty Microsoft.

So nobody should criticize their shitty first party output the past two years because they might finally fix that in 2-3 years? You do a shitty job and you get criticism for it, that's the way things work, nobody is exempt from that, not even the all mighty Microsoft.
We've all criticized their shitty out put from the past 2 years but your stuck in a bubble that's 2 years old we've beat that horse to death why regurgitate what we and MS have already identified as a gap in their strategy, move on and appreciate the fact they are listening to their fans and fanboys and making changes major changes.

We've all criticized their shitty out put from the past 2 years but your stuck in a bubble that's 2 years old we've beat that horse to death why regurgitate what we and MS have already identified as a gap in their strategy, move on and appreciate the fact they are listening to their fans and fanboys and making changes major changes.
Again they haven't proven anything, your just expecting everyone else to have blind faith in them like you do. Its not all sunshine and lollipops because they bought some studios. Some of their studios have a very shaky track record like Undead Labs, Rare, and Compulsion Games.

Until they actually catch up to the competition the criticism isn't going anywhere, plain and simple.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you're going to criticize anyone, you should send hate mail to all the devs putting games on Game Pass. They put lots of games on Game Pass which many of us will play for $1, which guys like you pay full price, and that includes many games like classic FF and Yakuza games never on Xbox before.

Obsidian's The Outer Worlds is a great recent example. Many of us who have GP Ultimate for $1 have tried it. You're paying $60. PS Now doesn't get current gen third party games like this.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If you're going to criticize anyone, you should send hate mail to all the devs putting games on Game Pass. They put lots of games on Game Pass which many of us will play for $1, which guys like you pay full price, and that includes many games like classic FF and Yakuza games never on Xbox before.

Obsidian's The Outer Worlds is a great recent example. Many of us who have GP Ultimate for $1 have tried. You're paying $60. PS Now doesn't get current gen third party games like this.

Thanks.
No I'm not. Where are you getting this from? Do you think I don't have a Xbox One?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No I'm not. Where are you getting this from? Do you think I don't have a Xbox One?
If you claim to have so many Xbox games (like you stated before), then stop supporting Xbox if it stinks so much. Pay $60 and buy games like Outer Worlds on PS, instead of getting it on Game Pass for $1.

If you claim to have so many Xbox games (like you stated before), then stop supporting Xbox if it stinks so much. Pay $60 and buy games like Outer Worlds on PS, instead of getting it on Game Pass for $1.
If I claim lol. The reason I criticize them is because I have liked their previous consoles and am not happy with the current state of Xbox.

If your so interested in how I'll buy Outer Worlds it will be when it goes on sale for $20, I buy my games physically, its the main reason I game on console. If I was digital then I would game on PC.

Top Bottom