• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

☆☆☆☆☆ 2021 Official Oscar Thread ☆☆☆☆☆

xrnzaaas

Wait, people on social media are mad because Chadwick Boseman didn't receive an Oscar? I mean come on, it's not like with Heath Ledger who actually had a memorable last role in an incredibly good film.

mcjmetroid

is it only on AppleTV+ or whatever?

Yep seems like it.

It feels like an anime style film.

Consdiering it's rottentomatoes score as well It's a joke it lost to the lackluster Soul

TIEKOFb.png

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Didn't even know this was on lol and who the fuck watches this shit anyways... O look a multi millionaire pampered cunt is handling out an award to another multi millionaire pampered cunt who thinks he's won the fucking noble peace prize.. go make a fucking difference to humanity and maybe then I'll be interested in your new mantle piece ornament

teezzy

Banned
I've been meaning to watch Nomadland and The Sound of Metal

Need to get on that. Haven't really paid attention to movies this past year or so.

Fbh

Was curious and searched the ratings.
Seems like they are not out yet, but there's like 20 articles already making tons of excuses about why they expect the rating to fall and why "that's ok".

Didn't even know this was on lol and who the fuck watches this shit anyways... O look a multi millionaire pampered cunt is handling out an award to another multi millionaire pampered cunt who thinks he's won the fucking noble peace prize.. go make a fucking difference to humanity and maybe then I'll be interested in your new mantle piece ornament

At least it was more fun some 10-15 years ago when it didn't feel like half the show is millionaires lecturing you

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I bet you’ve never even flown on your own private jet to give a speech at the UN about third world war crimes or some shit.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ratings for it tanked. Down 50 percent over last year which was down from the year before.

It's only going to get worse if the Oscars remain a celebration of woke politics instead of the art of movies. I used to watch every year, but I'm sick and tired of how politicized it has become.

Fox Mulder

It's only going to get worse if the Oscars remain a celebration of woke politics instead of the art of movies. I used to watch every year, but I'm sick and tired of how politicized it has become.

It’s only ever going to go down. The plebs don’t watch this shit and instead sign up to Netflix and Disney+ by the millions to watch popular blockbuster stuff or movie quality tv shows.

NickFire

It’s only ever going to go down. The plebs don’t watch this shit and instead sign up to Netflix and Disney+ by the millions to watch popular blockbuster stuff or movie quality tv shows.
I think it has less to do with Netflix (etc), and more to do with how insufferably predictable these shows have become. I don't even need to watch to know what happened:

1) things I probably never heard of won awards; and
2) the people on stage put on performance art related to a particular topic.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I actively looked for articles that had any balls to speculate why the ratings were so low. All that any of them say is covid. A lack of "big name" movies.

ManaByte

While Mills argued that the show was a success in that it defied expectations, his first sentence highlights a wrongful presumption. He says the show was not supposed to end “on somebody who was not present.” In other words, Chadwick Boseman was expected to earn a posthumous Oscar.

The Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom star was the clear frontrunner for Best Actor in a Leading Role, having previously taken home the Golden Globe and the BAFTA for his unfettered performance. Producers likely expected Boseman to win the Oscar, upon which his widowed wife would come onto the stage, accept the award on his behalf, and deliver a speech that would bring the audience to tears. Yet, the six-time Oscar nominee Anthony Hopkins won the coveted prize. And, instead of a tearful denouement, viewers got an anticlimactic finish.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Fbh

The most popular and financially successful movies have never (or at least for a long time) aligned with the award winning ones.
Look at the most financially successful movies over the past several decades. It has always been stuff like Titanic, Pirates of the Caribbean, Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, Lord of The rings, Harry Potter, Marvel, ET, Star Wars, Jaws, Grease, etc.

The Oscars just used to be more fun. They did a much better job at selling the illusion of actually being a celebration of the best movies. Now its all about the race, gender and sexual orientation of the nominees, with diversity quotas probably taking it further when they come into action in 2024. Acceptance speeches used to be fun, emotional or just grateful, talking about the movie, the character, fellow cast members or the award itself, now we have to hear Joaquin Phonex yapping on about equality and soy milk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

Gp1

The most popular and financially successful movies have never (or at least for a long time) aligned with the award winning ones.
Look at the most financially successful movies over the past several decades. It has always been stuff like Titanic, Pirates of the Caribbean, Ghostbusters, Jurassic Park, Lord of The rings, Harry Potter, Marvel, ET, Star Wars, Jaws, Grease, etc.

The Oscars just used to be more fun. They did a much better job at selling the illusion of actually being a celebration of the best movies. Now its all about the race, gender and sexual orientation of the nominees, with diversity quotas probably taking it further when they come into action in 2024. Acceptance speeches used to be fun, emotional or just grateful, talking about the movie, the character, fellow cast members or the award itself, now we have to hear Joaquin Phonex yapping on about equality and soy milk.

ManaByte

The Oscars have been in a meteoric freefall since this moment:
WILYN3E3MFQTDMFORM2DKKGQSM.jpg

MayauMiao

Glad the ratings tanked hard. The list of nominees was depressing and the preachy tone of the ceremony was horrible.

For context on how bad the rating is:

2020: 23.6 million, Parasite (No host)
2019: 29.6 million, Green Book (No host)
2018: 26.5 million, The Shape of Water (Jimmy Kimmel)
2017: 32.9 million, Moonlight (Jimmy Kimmel)
2016: 34.4 million, Spotlight (Chris Rock)
2015: 37.3 million, Birdman (Neil Patrick Harris)
2014: 43.7 million, 12 Years a Slave (Ellen DeGeneres)
2013: 40.3 million, Argo (Seth MacFarlane)
2012: 39.3 million, The Artist (Billy Crystal)
2011: 37.9 million, The King’s Speech (Anne Hathaway/James Franco)
2010: 41.3 million, The Hurt Locker (Steve Martin/Alec Baldwin)
2009: 36.3 million, Slumdog Millionaire (Hugh Jackman)
2008: 32.0 million, No Country For Old Men (Jon Stewart)
2007: 40. 2 million, The Departed (Ellen DeGeneres)
2006: 38.9 million, Crash (Jon Stewart)
2005 42.1 million, Million Dollar Baby (Chris Rock)
2004: 43.5 million, The Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King (Billy Crystal)
2003: 33.0 million, Chicago (Steve Martin)
2002: 41.8 million, A Beautiful Mind (Whoopi Goldberg)
2001: 42.9 million, Gladiator (Steve Martin)

So in 2021, less than 10 million is quite a huge drop. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: :lollipop_tears_of_joy: :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

CloudNull

Banned
Just finished watching it. What an awful movie. The "leaked" fatality was by far the best one, these cunts probably leaked it themselves to generate hype after getting roasted over the shitty trailers. I can't believe there's a worse movie than Godzilla vs Kong this year but here we are.

You shut your damn mouth..... King vs Godzilla is a National treasure. Exactly what I wanted between monsters fighting.

tom cruise GIF

Lol. On topic. So happy the oscars tanked. I use to love knowing who won but now I don’t care at all. Hopefully the industry course corrects.

Gp1

I'm a little depressed to see this list. Besides Parasite last year, the last incontestable winner was.:

2008: 32.0 million, No Country For Old Men (Jon Stewart)

ps: Ok. I saw the contender and Parasite isn't incontestable per se, but it is a great movie nonetheless.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Sound of Metal and Promising Young Woman were my favorites, but I knew they were not going to win. Chicago 7 was pretty good too. Minari and Nomadland didn't do much for me. The Father was well acted, but didn't blow me away either. Judas and the Black Messiah was my least favorite, but honestly I had tipped it as the winner.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My weekly reminder I still need to see Wolfwalkers.

Nomadland had best picture clinched. In fact just looking through the major awards nothing really seems all that surprising.

Top Bottom