• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In August (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

AgentChris said:
I believe Christopher Nolan had a role for Guy Pearce on Batman Begins and Guy declined.

He didn't really decline. Originally, Ducard was going to be a younger character and Nolan was going to cast Pearce for it, but then they rewrote the role as someone older.

Pearce was offered to play Daredevil, and that he did turn down.

bud

alright, so what does this mean, then?

Guzim said:
d602l.jpg

i've noticed that whenever pearce's name pops on on gaf, someone responds with a picture of nolan.

i want to understand. it's tearing me apart!

jtb

Banned
bud said:

i've noticed that whenever pearce's name pops on on gaf, someone responds with a picture of nolan.

Pearce starred in Memento, Nolan's directorial breakout - which is how most people on the internet remember him for. That said, Pearce has always shied away from those bigger roles - he got a ton of critical acclaim for LA Confidential and even that didn't lead to him breaking out as a star.

Edit: And Rise of Planet of the Apes is actually good?!? I was only going to watch 30 Min or Less (Glad to hear that its confirmed a dark comedy, predictable given the true story, I suppose), but I might have to give that + the Change Up a shot.

UrbanRats said:
Expendable, care to elaborate a bit on The Debt? Seems like a good fun thriller from the trailer.

Sure. Saw it almost a year ago, but if memory serves me correct the back-and-forth timeline structure takes away from the suspense, which feels forced. Jessica Chastain is great as expected, but I didn't find the two storylines (older and younger) to be working together very well. There are a few really well-done scenes (particularly involving their mission), but it didn't have much of an impact on me. Like I said, willing to give it another chance.

Raxus

Expendable. said:
Not surprising, FOX also was behind the terribly marketed X-Men: First Class.
Sometimes I wonder if Futurama's portrayal of Fox execs wasn't exaggerated at all.

UrbanRats

Expendable. said:
Sure. Saw it almost a year ago, but if memory serves me correct the back-and-forth timeline structure takes away from the suspense, which feels forced. Jessica Chastain is great as expected, but I didn't find the two storylines (older and younger) to be working together very well. There are a few really well-done scenes (particularly involving their mission), but it didn't have much of an impact on me. Like I said, willing to give it another chance.
Thanks, i'll keep an eye on it, on its way to homevideo.

bud said:

Nolan works with the same actors over different projects but not Guy Pearce for some reason.

Christian Bale in The Prestige & Batman films. Michael Caine in Batman films & Inception. Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Inception & The Dark Knight Rises. Marion Cotillard in Inception & The Dark Knight Rises. Tom Hardy in Inception & The Dark Knight Rises. Cillian Murphy in Inception & Batman films. Wally Pfister as his DP since Mememto. Hans Zimmer scoring Inception & Batman films

Guzim

AgentChris said:
Nolan works with the same actors over different projects but not Guy Pearce for some reason.

Christian Bale in The Prestige & Batman films. Michael Caine in Batman films & Inception. Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Inception & The Dark Knight Rises. Marion Cotillard in Inception & The Dark Knight Rises. Tom Hardy in Inception & The Dark Knight Rises. Cillian Murphy in Inception & Batman films. Wally Pfister as his DP since The Prestige. Hans Zimmer scoring Inception & Batman films
Actually, Wally Pfister has been his Director of Photography since Memento.

AbsoluteZero said:
I learned today that "30 Minutes or Less" is loosely based on a real event.

Wired did an article on the actual event not too long ago. I think that would have made a better movie but I haven't seen this one.

UrbanRats

AgentChris said:

Christian Bale in The Prestige & Batman films. Michael Caine in Batman films & Inception. Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Inception & The Dark Knight Rises. Marion Cotillard in Inception & The Dark Knight Rises. Tom Hardy in Inception & The Dark Knight Rises. Cillian Murphy in Inception & Batman films. Wally Pfister as his DP since Mememto. Hans Zimmer scoring Inception & Batman films
Caine was also in The Prestige.

border said:
The Change Up? Really? Are you sure?

Well, he loved Scott Pilgrim & hated The Expendables, so that movie is right in line for his re-crap-ommendation. lol

The list is definitely something I take into account though
usually watching the opposite from the list

See You Next Wednesday said:
Well, he loved Scott Pilgrim & hated The Expendables, so that movie is right in line for his re-crap-ommendation. lol

The list is definitely something I take into account though
usually watching the opposite from the list

I didn't love Scott Pilgrim, but nice try! So, the opposite from the list tells me you are excited for Glee Live in 3D, Conan, and Spy Kids 4?

Have fun with those.

HiResDes said:
Want to see Bellflower, and that is all basically...Now someone help me find a way to see it, lol

1310501279.jpg

Schedule

Date City, ST Theater
08/05/2011 Los Angeles, CA Landmark Nuart
08/05/2011 New York, NY Angelika Film Center
08/12/2011 Austin, TX Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar
08/12/2011 Ventura, CA Cinemark Century 10 Downtown
08/19/2011 Berkeley, CA Landmark Shattuck
08/19/2011 Palo Alto, CA CineArts Palo Alto Square
08/19/2011 San Francisco, CA Sundance Kabuki
08/19/2011 San Jose, CA CineArts Santana Row
08/19/2011 Sausalito, CA CineArts Marin
08/26/2011 Houston, TX Woodland Hills
08/26/2011 Phoenix, AZ Valley Art
08/26/2011 Pleasant Hill, CA CineArts Pleasant Hill
08/26/2011 Rancho Mirage, CA Century @ The River
09/02/2011 Dallas, TX Angelika Dallas
09/02/2011 Denver, CO Landmark Mayan
09/02/2011 Plano, TX Cinemark West Plano
09/02/2011 San Diego, CA Landmark Ken
09/02/2011 Seattle, WA Landmark Varsity
09/09/2011 Boston, MA Landmark Kendall Square
09/09/2011 El Paso, TX Cinemark Cielo Vista Mall 14
09/09/2011 Honolulu, HI Consolidated Kahala
09/09/2011 Kansas City, MO Cinemark The Palace at the Plaza
09/09/2011 Washington, DC Landmark E Street
09/16/2011 Atlanta, GA Landmark Midtown Art
09/16/2011 Boulder, CO Century Boulder
09/16/2011 Chicago, IL Landmark Century Centre
09/16/2011 Cleveland, OH Cinemark @ Valley View
09/16/2011 Evanston, IL Century Evanston 12
09/16/2011 Hadley, MA Cinemark 12
09/16/2011 Madison, WI Sundance Cinemas Madison
09/16/2011 Philadelphia, PA Landmark Ritz @ the Bourse
09/16/2011 Salt Lake City, UT Century 16
09/23/2011 Albuquerque, NM Century Downtown
09/23/2011 Detroit, MI Landmark Main Art
09/23/2011 Indianapolis, IN Landmark Keystone
09/23/2011 Las Vegas, NV Century Suncoast
09/23/2011 St. Louis, MO Landmark Tivoli
09/23/2011 Tucson, AZ Century El Con
09/30/2011 Abilene, TX Century Abilene 12
09/30/2011 Boca Raton, FL Cinemark Pallace 20
09/30/2011 Lubbock, TX Cinemark Tinseltown
09/30/2011 Odessa, TX Century 12 Odessa
09/30/2011 Reno, NV Cinemark Century Riverside
09/30/2011 Wichita Falls, TX Cinemark Parker Square 14

big ander said:
Sweet, should be able to see it around the 23rd.

icarus-daedelus said:
Nice, Bellflower is coming out in Tucson 3 days before my birthday. Will definitely catch that, then!

Very interested to hear what people think. I didn't love it, but it gets so fucking crazy that it is one of the few films this month that elicited a strong reaction. For that, I suppose I really admire it.

psykomyko

Watched Bellflower at a screening at USC. Interesting film I will say that much, and the ending goes crazy. Its definitely worth a watch, cus its visually a great looking film.

I have a friend who's song is actually in the film (Secrets by Small Town Zeros), and the film was shot were I live (Ventura, CA)

hawt

The Debt, Columbiana and Bellflower got me HYPED!

&Thanks to Expendable for putting up the schedule for Bellflower. I'll be seeing it on the 5th. :)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Planet of the Apes also has David Hewlitt in it from Stargate, now I must see it.

Jin34

Wow this month is terrible. Some of the movies in the 10 to see look like complete shit (looking at you Fright Night). Last time I was in the movies all the trailers look liked utter garbage, I felt like Stan "Everything's shit!".

I'll probably see 30 Minutes or Less, and Final Destination is my favorite horror series next to Saw, so those are the only two I'll put money out to see in theaters.

Fright Night and Rise of the Planet of the Apes I'll probably see later on Netflix or something.

Jin34 said:
Wow this month is terrible. Some of the movies in the 10 to see look like complete shit (looking at you Fright Night). Last time I was in the movies all the trailers look liked utter garbage, I felt like Stan "Everything's shit!".

Fright Night is actually getting strong buzz. Talked to more than one person that really, really liked it.

Amagon

For this month that I am definitly gonna see in the theater:

1. Senna (If they have it playing at my theater)
2. Columbiana
3. Conan the Barbarian (Hate me Expendable! :p)
4. Bellflower (If they have it playing at my theater and since Expendable recommend it no. 1)
5. Fright Night

I lol when I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes at no.2. I hated those movies, so stupid.
Come at me bros!
But next month, I can't wait to see Drive, (unless Expendable could get me the hook up for a early screening!!!) Straw Dogs and Contagion. Ahhhh, I luv movies!

oatmeal

Banned
Expendable. said:
Let me know how the former is! Seeing it tomorrow.

Just got back from The Help...

The trailers kind of tell you everything you need to know about it going in, the film is really good. Art direction is aces, the photography is gorgeous, and the cast is excellent. The biggest problem is that, according to my wife, NOTHING was lost in the adaptation. That's good and bad, depending on who you ask. She was mighty impressed that the only thing lost/changed was one small detail in a characters backstory
Constantine, Skeeter's maid growing up got fired in the film for 'acting out' in front of some president of some local something or other, in the book she was fired because she had an affair with Skeeter's father
. However, with all of the content left in, there's just a ton going on.

There is always like 5-7 different story lines going on and it gets to be a little much and it leads to the film having a bloated run time (Wikipedia says 2 hours 24 minutes, but the lady at the screening said 2h17m...so I'm not sure). The movie feels LOOOOONG, and it feels like it loses its focus a fair amount. Characters disappear and then reappear later and you're just like "Oh fuck, I forgot about them."

It is built as a 'chick flick' and I think it delivers. The screening I attended was close to 80% female, and I had never been in a theater packed so full of people that genuinely enjoyed themselves. The film is an emotional roller coaster, causing you to cry at one moment and then make you laugh out loud the next. And while I wasn't busting a gut ever (other than a few good character moments that make you laugh), the audience was eating it up. Silence in the dramatic moments, and causing a ruckus whenever Mini (the fat maid) makes one of her sassy comments.

Overall, it was a good experience. The audience was well behaved, and I had no cell phones or any real talking during it, so I was impressed.

I feel like the film is going to do pretty well in the Box Office, it has a good following right now with everyone snatching up the book. The cast is great (Viola Davis as Aiboleen is phenomenal, I smell an Oscar nomination) and the writing is sharp, so I can definitely see word of mouth giving it some legs.

Anyway, for a movie that a lot of females are going to drag their SO's to the theater to check out, it's not bad. There are some cheek-biting moments where you don't want to let the characters get to you, and there are some funny bits. But it's good. I definitely enjoyed it.

Jin34

Expendable. said:
Fright Night is actually getting strong buzz. Talked to more than one person that really, really liked it.

Then they should fire whoever made that trailer because when I saw it I just kept waiting for the punchline where it's all revealed that the movie is tongue in cheek/bad on purpose.

fernoca

Final Destination is a guilty pleasure of mine, so seeing Final Destination 5 for sure. Though #4 looked like a mess and ended been an even bigger mess, at least #5 seems to be back to been closer to the first 2 and they added the bit of killing others so they could take your place.

At least in the worst case scenario, it will be better than #4 and the "Oh so I just searched and Google and we all die..so lets run around till we all do.... for 90 minutes".

overcast

Really want to check out Our Idiot Brother (That cast is great. So many hot women too :D). I doubt it will get a wide release? Like plenty of other movies I wanted to watch this summer.

Wow, Rise of the Planet of the Apes reviews are shocking.. I guess I can add that to the list.

oatmeal

Banned
My wife's review of The Help...just for a second opinion.

Its one of my favorite books. I read it last September. I started it on the first day of our vacation home. I was finished it 3 days later. I couldn’t put it down. The story take place in 1960′s in small town Jackson, Mississippi. Its about the controversy of the black maids working in the white households. There are many stress points in these ladies lives, including taking care of and loving the white ladies children and dealing with shared indoor plumbing.

The story really takes off when a young white girl who dreams of being a published writer starts a project interviewing these maids about their experiences. It witty, emotional, and an amazing story beginning to end. I cant even tell you how excited I have been waiting for the movie. But then we won advanced screening tickets! So tonight I got to see it a week before everyone else!

I was first in line, 30 weeks pregnant and waiting 2 hours early. (everyone has to be there 2 hours early but still) I was too excited. It doesn’t disappoint. Its the best book to movie adaptation Ive seen. I now know why its so long (2 hrs 17 min) because they dont leave anything out! Wow. I was impressed they covered it all. The cast is fantastic! Viola Davis brings Aibileen’s character to life in every way. Octavia Spencer brought Minnie’s character even further. I want to know her personally all over again! Minnie and Celia have a realistic humorous relationship that you cant help but love. And Emma Stone actually pulled off Skeeter better than I originally thought.

If you are looking for your summer feel good movie, you’ve found it. Ive never seen an audience react so well to a movie like this. There is laughter and tears to go around the entire movie. And the tears are not even all sad, most of them are happy tears as you feel so touched by a characters experience. Its a must see. So go get together for a girls night, or do as I did and drag your husband along. Although it wouldn’t have been his first choice, he did admit it was very well done.

The casting, the characters, the script not veering from the book, the sets and costumes. Everything was right on. I felt like I was in the south in the 1960′s. Doesn’t hurt that Im an addict of everything 60′s! I really would have thrived. I know in the book club questions it asks you to pick a character you would be. Most women say Skeeter, because we all wish we could be her, but lets face it not many of us in those times would be so daring. And Im not saying we’re all Miss Hilly’s either. I imagine myself as Miss Celia Foote. Just looking for a good friend. If you have read or see the movie I would love to hear who everyone else finds a special connection with.

And through all of this the only important thing to take from this post is go read the book first, if you havent already, and then see the movie. You will love both!

SENNA!!

Good god is it going to make me cry like a bitch but I'll still see it again. Saw it in May and I've never been moved by a documentary before as much as Senna moved me.

Can't wait!

EDIT: There is an extended version? OMG!!!

An-Det

I think I'll go see Apes this weekend, it getting the good reception so far is encouraging, although that's more of a bonus than reason for me. I might see Conan as well in theaters, but I'm definitely keeping an eye out for that, and Final Destination has long been a guilty pleasure of mine, so will go see that in theaters if I get bored.

VOOK said:
Planet of the Apes also has David Hewlitt in it from Stargate, now I must see it.

That's what turned me on to the film in the first place, despite him not being in the film much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom