• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

160GB HDD showing 43.59GB

why? it's in an external drive bay and it installed correctly. When I made the partition I told it to make 160GB. When it was finished, it showed 43.59GB. I uninstalled it and tried again, same result.

Is there an option I need to click to make Windows recognize past a certain amount of GB? Right now I have a 60GB and a 160GB installed and they both work fine, it's the new 160GB that is the problem.

tenchir

bune duggy said:
why? it's in an external drive bay and it installed correctly. When I made the partition I told it to make 160GB. When it was finished, it showed 43.59GB. I uninstalled it and tried again, same result.

Is there an option I need to click to make Windows recognize past a certain amount of GB? Right now I have a 60GB and a 160GB installed and they both work fine, it's the new 160GB that is the problem.

Older external drives have limitations. I have two external drives, one of it can't go over 120 GB, the second one can't go over 200 GB. Are you sure that your external drive support 160 GB? If it's an old model, try going to its support site and see if there's a firmware update.

kinda, but I was going to use it for hdloader, so...

alright, so I clicked the "new topic" button in the wrong thread.

EDIT: it's a brand new drive and a brand new external bay.

and what jumper settings? according to the bay's installation manual it'll support up to 300GB no problem.

Tain

If you'll be using this for hdloader, don't even format it in Windows or whatever. You have to have the PS2 format it.

tenchir

bune duggy said:
kinda, but I was going to use it for hdloader, so...

alright, so I clicked the "new topic" button in the wrong thread.

You mean USBLoader? That thing sucked. Now only it has a lower compatibility rate than HDLoader, it loads data slower than the DVD-drives making loading times longer and movies/gameplay very stuttery.

edit: Nevermind I read it wrong. Thought you were connecting external to PS2.

If you have another computer/laptop, try using them to format it. Otherwise just let HDloader format it.

no, hdloader. I was going to use my dvd drive in my computer as it's faster than the ps2 one. I was formatting in windows to see if the drive even worked before I used it (and before my return period ran out).

Bobety

I just got a new computer recently with an internal harddrive that was supposed to be 160gb but only shows as 130gb. I would have taken it back to the shop but i had been computer-less for a few days and didnt want to wait any longer to set it up... is there something wrong with it or is there a way to fix it?

tenchir

Bobety said:
I just got a new computer recently with an internal harddrive that was supposed to be 160gb but only shows as 130gb. I would have taken it back to the shop but i had been computer-less for a few days and didnt want to wait any longer to set it up... is there something wrong with it or is there a way to fix it?

Check your bios or update it if possible.

Tain

Eh, I'd wager that's just the marketing difference rather than your HD not fully working. 1 kb = 1024 bytes, etc, etc, where the box's displayed value assumes 1 kb = 1000 bytes.

I can't imagine jumper settings being an issue here, either.

bune duggy said:
so the jumper is set to cable select. Should I change it? Also, it is connected via firewire, would that have any say in the matter?

Who's the drive's manufacturer and model? It's the IBM/Hitachi that has the compatabilty mode settings IIRC.

Also, I suppose the IDE > Firewire adaptor chip in the external enclosure could be the culprit too. Don't know how likely that is though.

bune duggy said:
the drive is maxtor and the bay is mad dog (it was on sale at compusa).

I can't find anything about a 43GB limit in the Maxtor knowledge base. What model is that HD? I'm beginning to think that it may be the "mad dog" related problem.

Can you give me a little more info on both? help me out a bit ya?

Hooker

Go to disc management and see what's wrong with the drive. Partition Magic is even better, they may have a trial version

Top Bottom