• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1GB MS Duo - $95 shipped @ Dell

The Sony msx-512s (black stick) i received on Monday came with the adapter.

Great price, wish this had been out a week earlier, although it looks like it's already out of stock. It's really nice to see prices slowly dropping.

IJoel

Mrbob said:
If I remember right, the Sony duos don't come with the Memory stick adapter?

From Dell:

Save a large number of images quickly with the Memory Stick PRO Duo™ Media from Sony®. Featuring a storage capacity of 1 GB, this compact and easy-to-store media offers enhanced durability for use in challenging environments. It incorporates MagicGate technology and is ideal for compact digital photography and portable audio applications. The included MSAC-M2 Memory Stick Duo media adapter enables you to use this removable data storage device in a number of devices that use Memory Stick PRO™.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Usually ships 1-2 weeks... geez... I tell ya if I hadn't just bought a 512 I'd jump all over this... <puts 1GB card on backburner>

I've ordered from Dell in the past where the shipping date on the site has said 1-2 weeks or more, yet has shipped a few days after the order. I guess I'll find out when I get the email.

bitwise

Banned
ZootedGranny said:
I've ordered from Dell in the past where the shipping date on the site has said 1-2 weeks or more, yet has shipped a few days after the order. I guess I'll find out when I get the email.

I have had this experience as well. Hope it holds true this time too !

aoi tsuki

bishoptl said:
Continental US orders only. HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION
Sorry about that. :( i checked the Canadian site and they don't even carry the 1GB stick, at least not with the same SKU as the US site. Closest thing was this but it's not much of a deal.

Scoobert said:
How did you get free shipping? It's ~$6 shipping for me.
That's odd. i signed in and put one in my cart and there was no shipping. i just tried it again, and it applied shipping. :(

robot

ordered one - so I'm assuming this one is compatible with the psp - I keep hearing some models arent (blue sandisk ones)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Would any US resident order one for me (I'm in Europe :/)? I can pay via PayPal.
PM me.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
robot said:
ordered one - so I'm assuming this one is compatible with the psp - I keep hearing some models arent (blue sandisk ones)

I have a 256 Blue SanDisk MS and works fine on my JP PSP.

Mrbob

Pellham said:
argh there's going to be tax on this sucker when i order it. i'll just wait til 2gig sticks come out...

:lol

Dude, tax will be betwen 5-9 dollars. Well, whatever, but you'll be waitng awhile for those 2 giggers to drop in price.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
woot.. calling our dell rep on this one.. seeing if corporate pricing will make it even cheaper. :)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Interesting, that's a brand new model. Before, the only 1GB Pro Duo Sony made was the High Speed. Sony's own MSRP on this thing is $135, so expect to see it no higher than $100-110 at most places once it's widely available.

Mrbob

I know this may sound like a strange question, but I notice the sandisk duos are listed as high speed while these are not. Is this a downgraded slower model? If it is, will this affect movie playback?

So what's the difference between this sony one and the sandisk one?

B0006TI9WG.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Does above Sandisk one work with PSP?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
yes, I have a 256 meg Sankisk Pro Duo and it works fine.

The difference is that one is Sony and one is not. Dell having a Sony for this price is crazy. I have seen this card go as high as $200+ before on the net.

I just wish they would get the Duo normals past 128 megs so I can fill a gig card up full of ARTAC format music (or whatever the thing is called). It is so lame that Pro Duo's can't play those on the PSP :-|

Bat

Just ordered one...hopefully it'll be shipped relatively soon. I was tempted to pick up the ScanDisk one for $150 at EB yesterday, so this works out well for me.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
ORDERED!!!

I'm broke but I may never be able to get a 1gig stick at this low a price for quite some time.

Thanks Aoi

Scoobert

There's two different Sony 1GB Pro Duo's. Model MSXM1GN is the high-speed pro duo, MSXM1GS is the one on the Dell site and I find any details about. Google turns up foreign sites.

robot said:
just got a confirmation:
Estimated Ship Date: Friday, April 22, 2005

good times!

Same here.

Thanks a ton, aoi tsuki. I had planned to just grab a 512 meg stick from Newegg for around $60 today, so this saves me from having to make another purchase down the line.

SvelteBoy

Mrbob said:
I know this may sound like a strange question, but I notice the sandisk duos are listed as high speed while these are not. Is this a downgraded slower model? If it is, will this affect movie playback?

The high-speed Duo Pros (or sandisk Ultra II) have a transfer rate of up to 80Mbps. However, this "high-speed" mode is only supported in devices that explicitly say so. The PSP does NOT support this mode, but is fully compatible with these cards. The only way to take advantage of this high-speed mode is to use a supported memory card reader to do the file transfers.

Movie playback would not be affected because the regular Duo Pro is more than fast enough. Heck, a regular Duo (bundled in the Value Pack) is fast enough for movie playback.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Yeah, thanks a million man! I haven't been able to find one since I got my PSP, let alone at such a great price. You Roxorz!

Sysgen

How does the adapter affect portability? What does the adapter look like when the stick is in it and hooked to the PSP?

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Sysgen said:
How does the adapter affect portability? What does the adapter look like when the stick is in it and hooked to the PSP?
If you're using it for the PSP, then you won't need the adapter. The adapter is there so you can use it in other devices that require the larger (as in bulkiness, not capacity size) memory sticks.

Jagernaut

Ferrarisimo said:
Score! That's a really good find. Plus I get another 15% off.

Damn--some people paid more for a 512MB version.

Are there some 15% off coupons floating around? How did you save 15%?

SvelteBoy said:
Heck, a regular Duo (bundled in the Value Pack) is fast enough for movie playback.
I'm pretty sure that "pro duo" is the same speed as the memory sticks that are simply "duo". Sony adds the word pro to the memory sticks that have the capacity of 256MB (Sandisk at 128MB) and above.

Scoobert said:
There's two different Sony 1GB Pro Duo's. Model MSXM1GN is the high-speed pro duo, MSXM1GS is the one on the Dell site and I find any details about. Google turns up foreign sites.
details on differences, courtesy of sony :D

MSX-M1GS 1 GB Memory Stick PRO Duo™ Media

Specifications
• Total Storage Capacity: 1 GB
• Available Storage Capacity: 940 MB
• Interface: 10-pin Serial Memory Stick® Interface and 4-pin Parallel
• Operating Voltage: 2.7V - 3.6V
• Power Consumption (Parallel): 100 MA (Max.)
• Power Consumption (Serial): 65 MA (Max.)
• Minimum Write Speed: 15 Mbps on Memory Stick PRO Duo™ and Memory Stick PRO™ enabled devices optimized with 4-pin parallel interface
• Dimensions (Approx.): 0.79" x 1.22" x 0.06" (20mm x 31mm x 1.6mm)
• Weight (Approx.): 0.07oz (2g)
• Operating Temperature: -13° - 185° F (-10.56° - 85° C)
• Included Accessories: MSAC-M2 Memory Stick Duo Adapter and Storage Case

MSX-M1GN 1 GB High Speed Memory Stick PRO Duo™ Media

Specifications
• Total Storage Capacity: 1 GB
• Available Storage Capacity: 940 MB
• Interface: 10-pin Serial Memory Stick® Interface and 4-pin Parallel
• Operating Voltage: 2.7V - 3.6V
• Power Consumption (Parallel): 100 MA (Max.)
• Power Consumption (Serial): 65 MA (Max.)
• Maximum Read Speed: 80 Mbps
• Maximum Write Speed: 80 Mbps

• Dimensions (Approx.): 0.79" x 1.22" x 0.06" (20mm x 31mm x 1.6mm)
• Weight (Approx.): 0.07oz (2g)
• Operating Temperature: -13° - 185° F (-10.56° - 85° C)
• Included Accessories: MSAC-M2 Memory Stick Duo Adapter and Storage Case

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ordered.

What's this write speed business? Is it going to make a significant difference?

Can someone in the US pick me up one and send it to me in Canada? Transaction through paypal so it shouldn't be a prob. PM me please.

SvelteBoy

DIrtyWeasel said:
I'm pretty sure that "pro duo" is the same speed as the memory sticks that are simply "duo". Sony adds the word pro to the memory sticks that have the capacity of 256MB (Sandisk at 128MB) and above.

Actually, the Pro cards (Duo and regular) have a minimum write speed of 15Mbps (up to a max of 160Mbps theoretical) to support real-time video recording. The non-Pro cards have a max read/write speed of 19.6/14.4Mbps and only have capacities up to 128MB. It's confusing, I know ...

Top Bottom