• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2009 Grammy Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacknuts

we all knew her
movie_club said:
but the kings of leon are terrible

I was reading thru the thread and beginning to think that I was the only person who hates these guys. Thank you.

Happy to see the love for Silversun Pickups, even if I don't understand the Best New Artist nom. I haven't been able to stop listening to Swoon.

gdt

Kings Of Leon are an awesome, awesome band.

Seriously their first three albums (especially 2/3) are ridiculously good. Like a modern Creedence Clearwater Revival.

The 4th is quite a bit weaker, more like a 7.

ZeoVGM

Banned
GoutPatrol said:
And best new artist never means debut, it is..."For a new artist who releases, during the Eligibility Year, the first recording which establishes the public identity of that artist."

So just stop bitching about semantics and consider it a "you had you're first mainstream hit last year" award.

Uh, except they ALREADY had their first mainstream hit with "Lazy Eye." It was used at the video package at the end of the 2008 World Series. That was the song that made them become known. "Panic Switch" was a BIGGER hit but that doesn't make the logic you're trying to explain any less fucking stupid.

Medalion

Banned
xrich said:
True, they have some pretty big similarities really. Branch just couldnt connect. Probably because she wasn't out there at 17 or w/e. Too bad, she had a lot of talent. Loved "All You Wanted". Even her new solo CD is more geared towards country, and not the good Taylor Swift Country.

Michelle Branch came out when she was 16/17 for her debut album the Spirit Room. It's still her most recognised work. I think Michelle was not like other pop chicks who played guitar at the time, she wasn't down with the game as much as maybe Taylor Swift and her promotion machine. Taylor Swift, I think she's great, but she is more willing to branch out (no pun intended) and internet was different during Michelle's time, versus now for Taylor... powerful marketting tool like Myspace and youtube etc etc.

omg rite said:
God, you act like a stuck up little prick in every thread.

indexphp.gif

Medalion

Banned
kikanny said:
WTF?! Where is No Line on the Horizon for album of the year? Seriously...

Because it wasn't what I would consider album of the year, and I love U2, but it didn't do that well on the charts I don't think or its singles.

thefro

kikanny said:

Because the Grammys snubbed LeRoi Moore's death last year (he wasn't in the "important dead people" montage), so they had to make up for it by giving Dave Matthews Band a best album nomination.

movie_club

gdt5016 said:

Seriously their first three albums (especially 2/3) are ridiculously good. Like a modern Creedence Clearwater Revival.

yeah they are so awesome....

"we know you're sick of Kings of Leon, so for all those who don't give a fuck about us, I understand. But we've worked fucking hard to get here. So anyone that has anything to say to us, fuck you. We're the goddamn Kings of Leon." The band later smashed their guitars in anger and made rude gestures before leaving the stage"- This is what they said to a crowd at a show

gdt

movie_club said:
that sounds like pretentious ass holes to me, who can even appreciate that these people were there to see them

You're being a bit sensitive.

Billions of great bands have been accused of being assholish for a bit. The Stones, The Beatles, The Who, Dylan, The Ramones, the list goes on and on.

I doubt they don't appreciate their fans. People can act like dicks sometimes.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
What the fuck is this?

No GaGa in the best pop vocal for a female category...but she's up for song and album of the year?

RubxQub
Lady GaGa Defense Force
(Today, 11:05 AM)
Reply | Quote | Edit/Del

Guzim

Gaga better win every award she's nominated for. I actually enjoy her work.

Also, it's great to see Q-Tip nominated. PhoenixDark, I know you like Tribe, what did you think of The Renaissance?

2DMention

Banned
Best New Artist between the Ting Tings and Silversun Pickups.

I'd vote for Ting Tings.

Why would SS be considered? Canivos came out in '06

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Album of the Year
Beyonce - I Am... Sasha Fierce
Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D.
Lady GaGa - The Fame
Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the Googrux King
Taylor Swift - Fearless

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Fucking Dave Matthews Band....really? I want to kick the ass of anybody involved in this nomination process. Put me in charge of the fucking Grammy awards and this shit will never happen again.

Talon

kikanny said:
Because it's shit. Love U2, but they've released drivel since "All You Can't Leave Behind."

Guzim said:
Gaga better win every award she's nominated for. I actually enjoy her work.

Also, it's great to see Q-Tip nominated. PhoenixDark, I know you like Tribe, what did you think of The Renaissance?

Yup I liked it. The production is great plus it has some damn good songs. I haven't listened to it in awhile so I'll have to in order to compare it to The Ecstatic

BJK

Oozer3993 said:
The nominations concert was on tonight and that means the nominations are out. List of the biggies below:

Best Male Pop Vocal Performance
John Legend - This Time
Maxwell - Love You
Jason Mraz - Make It Mine
Seal - If You Don't Know Me By Now
Stevie Wonder - All About The Love Again

How is it that the only songs that I don't recognize from the entire list....are all in the same category. I listen to the radio, I TiVo those rare occasions when Mtv & VH1 actually show videos....and I even know who all of the nominated artists are (so I'm probably haven't heard any of the songs in commercials either), but I haven't got the slightest clue how any of those songs can be classified as 'popular' music, when they do not appear in any of the outlets I would typically associate with the genre.

Also, while I get the dislike for KoL (hated the lyrics for "Sex on Fire," though the music is catchy), "Use Somebody" is just a tremendous song. If you can't get past the KoL part, then enjoy the Paramore cover.

eznark

Banned
A music awards show without Bob Dylan is not one I want to pay attention to. Together Through Life is easily the album of the year.

Wait, Dave Matthews and Lady GaGa? Oh thank God there is no Dylan, this must be the music equivalent of the Razzies.

PhoenixDark said:
Definitely my album of the year. Maybe it didn't come out in time to be considered, dunno
Ha. I actually just checked her site. Looks like she was nominated for 2 including Best Contemporary Folk Album.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
omg rite said:
Uh, except they ALREADY had their first mainstream hit with "Lazy Eye." It was used at the video package at the end of the 2008 World Series. That was the song that made them become known. "Panic Switch" was a BIGGER hit but that doesn't make the logic you're trying to explain any less fucking stupid.

Which just happens to be in the eligibility period?

You're looking at this the wrong way. This is not about them being a "new" bang by any means. Its just about them being known to a wide audience. And to look at that you go to Billboard charts. They had their second album break into the top 10 on the charts, and a single made it to #1 on the alternative charts. It was also their first song to break into the Hot 100. Same thing was MGMT with "Kids" and the Ting Tings for "That's Not My Name."

Its all about when they made a splash on the charts. Every artist, EVERY YEAR, had put out material, sometimes for years, before they were nominated for Best New Artist.

ATF487

gdt5016 said:

It's a shame they're getting all the notoriety now, because of the times was really good.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dennis Ferrer and Trentemoller nominated in the best remix category are probably the only artists I like on that whole list. Best dance song category is a joke like always, fuck Guetta.

gimmmick

Medalion said:
Because it wasn't what I would consider album of the year, and I love U2, but it didn't do that well on the charts I don't think or its singles.

So... in order it too be album of the year, it has to chart really well? I'm not being sarcastic as well.

PhoenixDark said:
Yup I liked it. The production is great plus it has some damn good songs. I haven't listened to it in awhile so I'll have to in order to compare it to The Ecstatic

hay guyz what about me

100188_lg.jpg

gdt

gimmmick said:
So... in order it too be album of the year, it has to chart really well? I'm not being sarcastic as well.

Not necessarily, but that album wasn't really critically loved either.

You (usually) need one of the two to get a spot.

BJK

jamesinclair said:
The only Ting Tings song that got airplay (Thats not my name) is from 2007...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That's_Not_My_Name

From your own link:
Released 9 May 9 2008 (Europe)
12 May 2008 (UK)
27 January 2009 (U.S. Radio)

The Grammys are hosted by the National Acadamy of Recording Arts and Sciences, an American organization.

http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/Voting/FAQs/

What are the eligibility requirements?
For the 52nd Annual GRAMMY Awards, albums must be released between Oct. 1, 2008 and August 31, 2009. Recordings must be in general distribution in the United States, i.e. sales by label to a branch or recognized independent distributor, via the Internet, or mail order/retail sales for a nationally marketed product.

My friend is married to the guitarist of Underoath and she was trumpeting their second Grammy nom. Scoured the list and found out it was for best limited edition package. :lol

Oh well I still love her. :D

EDIT: I should've said a guitarist from Underoath, not the.

Xrenity

Kings of Leon is awesome, but I'd wish they forget about the last album (except for Crawl, Use Somebody) and rock hard on their next record.

BJK said:
From your own link:
Released 9 May 9 2008 (Europe)
12 May 2008 (UK)
27 January 2009 (U.S. Radio)

The Grammys are hosted by the National Acadamy of Recording Arts and Sciences, an American organization.

http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/Voting/FAQs/

What are the eligibility requirements?
For the 52nd Annual GRAMMY Awards, albums must be released between Oct. 1, 2008 and August 31, 2009. Recordings must be in general distribution in the United States, i.e. sales by label to a branch or recognized independent distributor, via the Internet, or mail order/retail sales for a nationally marketed product.

Im going to guess it was on youtube in 2007.

Talon- said:
Because it's shit. Love U2, but they've released drivel since "All You Can't Leave Behind."

I've yet to hear a good reason why their new album is shit. Other than ho hum writing (Bono's at a point in his life where it's too comfortable for him to write anything worthwhile) and a mis-step (Stand Up Comedy), it's the best album they've done since Zooropa, no question.

Hasphat6462 said:
I've yet to hear a good reason why their new album is shit. Other than ho hum writing (Bono's at a point in his life where it's too comfortable for him to write anything worthwhile) and a mis-step (Stand Up Comedy), it's the best album they've done since Zooropa, no question.
Sounds like a pretty good reason that you just spelled out yourself.

Hasphat6462 said:
Ho hum doesn't equate to shit does it? Besides, the guitar work, vocals, and production makes up for that.
No, but it's not exactly a ringing endorsement for U2 as a whole when followed with basically saying it's their best album in years.

In the spirit of full disclosure: I hate U2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom