• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2009 Grammy Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best Rap Album
Common - Universal Mind Control
Eminem - Relapse
Flo Rida - R.O.O.T.S
Mos Def - The Ecstatic
Q-Tip - The Renaissance

:lol

Q-Tip or Mos Def better win.

Medalion

Banned
blame space said:
isn't GAF mostly equivalent to the most sought-after demographic? males 18-35?

Her music would not fit this demographic normally so it's understandable she can do well elsewhere, yet GAF doesn't hear much of her.

xrich

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Did I mis-read sarcasm or something

you seriously dont see the difference between Beyonce's Single Ladies and Crank Dat? yes they were both youtube phenoms, but Beyonce's has actual talent involved, which is what the conversation was about. dont be dense.

Medalion said:
Her music would not fit this demographic normally so it's understandable she can do well elsewhere, yet GAF doesn't hear much of her.

oh okay so we're entitled to not give a shit about her horrible music.

JDeluis

----
Category 13

Best Electronic/Dance Album
(For vocal or instrumental albums. Albums only.)

* Divided By Night
The Crystal Method

* One Love
David Guetta

* The Fame
Lady Gaga

* Party Rock
LMFAO

* Yes
Pet Shop Boys
---

I like David Guetta album, but LMFAO deserves that award.

Also, Beyonce receiving 10 Nominations is horrible, she has become such a crappy solo artist. The worst song nominated is Black Eyed Peas - I Got a Feeling.

Talon

Medalion said:
It came out in Oct 2008. The Grammys has a wide berth. The song got more popular in 2009 to my recollection.
"Kids" is older than that, my friend. Different version of that song have been around for like 4 years now. That song really blew up around colleges in spring of 2007.

Medalion

Banned
blame space said:
oh okay so we're entitled to not give a shit about her horrible music.

The idea that because GAF has never heard of her before the MTV Kanye thing, they find it hard to believe she could be so famous... it had to be Kanye's doing. You can shit all over her music, it's not meant to appeal to the average GAFfer.

JDeluis said:
I like David Guetta album, but LMFAO deserves that award.

Also, Beyonce receiving 10 Nominations is horrible, she has become such a crappy solo artist. The worst song nominated is Black Eyed Peas - I Got a Feeling.

for the dumbest shit to ever materialize?

Medalion said:
The idea that because GAF has never heard of her before the MTV Kanye thing, they find it hard to believe she could be so famous... it had to be Kanye's doing. You can shit all over her music, it's not meant to appeal to the average GAFfer.

oh, no, i agree that her horrible music was popular long before kanye west did the VMA stunt.

Talon

I've somewhat given up on complaining about musicianship because, well, I still enjoy simple shit like MGMT and whatnot, but every LMFAO song is the American equivalent of Chaccarron.

That tits song is hilarious, though. In the "I can't believe this shit was released as a song" kind of way.
blame space said:
oh, no, i agree that her horrible music was popular long before kanye west did the VMA stunt.
She's no worse than the Michelle Branch's and Vanessa Carltons of the world: inoffensive, safe, sometimes catchy pop music.

JDeluis said:
Category 13

Best Electronic/Dance Album
(For vocal or instrumental albums. Albums only.)

* Divided By Night
The Crystal Method

* One Love
David Guetta

* The Fame
Lady Gaga

* Party Rock
LMFAO

* Yes
Pet Shop Boys

I didn't even notice PSB's Yes was nominated. That's awesome, it's the best album of the year period.

hermit7

Great to hear for the Silversun Pickups, good to see them get recognition even if it is a little late.

Swoon has been my favorite album released this year. (I am not sure why they are a new artist though Lazy Eye was top 5 of the modern hits)

xrich

Banned
blame space said:
for the dumbest shit to ever materialize?

Apparently, because that is exactly what that album is. Why is BEP not in that category? that album was pretty electronic/dancey

xrich said:
you seriously dont see the difference between Beyonce's Single Ladies and Crank Dat? yes they were both youtube phenoms, but Beyonce's has actual talent involved, which is what the conversation was about. dont be dense.

Eh, I don't like either song. Beyonce doesn't write her own music, Soulja Boy writes and produces his own shit. Beyonce is more talented but that doesn't mean she makes good music. In fact from what I've read the album has received decent/average reviews

Just felt like the justification given weren't impressive

xrich

Banned
Talon- said:
She's no worse than the Michelle Branch's and Vanessa Carltons of the world: inoffensive, safe, sometimes catchy pop music.

wouldnt call Michelle Branch safe. She ventured out of the pop genre and joined with some singer to make a country group. it failed i think. i used to like her...

PhoenixDark said:
Eh, I don't like either song. Beyonce doesn't write her own music, Soulja Boy writes and produces his own shit. Beyonce is more talented but that doesn't mean she makes good music

Just felt like the justification given weren't impressive

yea he forgot to mention the main fact, which is that Beyonce has a better voice than Taylor, which i think is what the nomination means by "Best Vocal Performance". dont really know though

Talon

xrich said:
wouldnt call Michelle Branch safe. She ventured out of the pop genre and joined with some singer to make a country group. it failed i think. i used to like her...
Ah, that's right. I remember liking a single from that duo.

Her first couple albums are largely what I'm aiming at. Actually, the Branch-Swift comparison is probably most apt because they're both children of pop and country. The difference is that Swift has got the teenage girl market by their pigtails due to her age/subject matters.
MIMIC said:
I forgot that Soulja Boy was NOMINATED for a Grammy once.

Nevermind. Fuck the Grammys.
The Grammy Awards exist so the labels can celebrate themselves. They've always been criticized of being chosen by a panel of out of touch old men, so they swung the other way for most of the awards. No reason to get upset about them.

Eaten By A Grue said:
Ah weird, I assumed nominations had to come from the current year.

And some of us assumed that new artist has to actually be new.

None of course, tops the assumption that the grammys should award quality and not airplay.

People rip on the oscars for passing on the biggest hits....but Im glad they do. People who say stuff like "black knight should have won best movie, the x movie sucks" clearly did not watch the less popular movies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
koam said:
What a joke.. AC/DC? U2?.. come on now.

The three best rock albums of the year aren't even on there:
Them Crooked Vultures, Horehound, Backspacer

You have an issue with AC/DC being nominated for best rock?

Really?

Also, Silversun Pickups for best new artist?

Really?

Oh well, at least Relapse was nominated. If not just to see when PhoenixDark comes into the thread and says something hyperbolic.

blame space said:
dude, seriously no offense, but adults are talking.

I'm more curious as to what you didn't like about Yes, instead of the hokey jab.

It was a total homerun; the songs, the production (Xenomania <3), they set it on fire.

I figured it'd be a consensus AOTY Top 10 pick, it seemed to get a great reception.

xrich

Banned
Talon- said:
Ah, that's right. I remember liking a single from that duo.

Her first couple albums are largely what I'm aiming at. Actually, the Branch-Swift comparison is probably most apt because they're both children of pop and country. The difference is that Swift has got the teenage girl market by their pigtails due to her age/subject matters.

True, they have some pretty big similarities really. Branch just couldnt connect. Probably because she wasn't out there at 17 or w/e. Too bad, she had a lot of talent. Loved "All You Wanted". Even her new solo CD is more geared towards country, and not the good Taylor Swift Country.

eggandI

Banned
Oozer3993 said:
The nominations concert was on tonight and that means the nominations are out. List of the biggies below:

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance
Adele - Hometown Glory
Beyonce - Halo
Katy Perry - Hot N Cold
Pink - Sober
Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me

Best Male Pop Vocal Performance
John Legend - This Time
Maxwell - Love You
Jason Mraz - Make It Mine
Seal - If You Don't Know Me By Now
Stevie Wonder - All About The Love Again

Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals
The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
Bon Jovi - We Weren't Born To Follow
The Fray - Never Say Never
Daryl Hall & John Oates - Sara Smile
MGMT - Kids

Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals

Rosanne Cash & Bruce Springsteen - Sea Of Heartbreak
Ciara & Justin Timberlake - Love Sex Magic
Jason Mraz & Colbie Caillat - Lucky
Willie Nelson & Norah Jones - Baby, It's Cold Outside
Taylor Swfit & Colbie Caillat - Breathe

Best Pop Vocal Album
The Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D.
Colbie Caillat - The Breakthrough
Kelly Clarkson - All I Ever Wanted
The Fray - The Fray
Pink - Funhouse

Best Alternative Music Album
David Byrne & Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
Death Cab for Cutie - The Open Door
Depeche Mode - Sounds Of The Universe
Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!

Best Rock Album:
AC/DC - Black Ice
Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood - Live from Madison Garden
Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown
Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the Googrux King
U2 - No Line on the Horizon

Best Rap Solo Performance
Drake - Best I Ever Had
Eminem - Beautiful
Jay-Z - Death of Autotune
Kid Cudi - Day & Night
Mos Def - Casa Bey

Best Rap Album
Eminem - Relapse
Flo Rida - R.O.O.T.S.
Mos Def - The Ecstatic
Q-Tip - The Renaissance

Best New Artist:
Zac Brown Band
Keri Hilson
MGMT
Silversun Pickups
The Ting Tings

Song of the Year:
Beyonce - Single Ladies
Kings of Leon - Use Somebody
Lady Gaga - Poker Face
Maxwell - Pretty Wings

Record of the Year
Beyonce - Halo
Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
Lady GaGa - Poker Face

Album of the Year
Beyonce - I Am... Sasha Fierce
Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D.
Lady GaGa - The Fame
Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the Googrux King
Taylor Swift - Fearless

2iqmhyh.jpg

C4Lukins

Eaten By A Grue said:
Ah weird, I assumed nominations had to come from the current year.

What is more screwed up is that for an album to be considered it had to comeout before August 31st. Although a song can be considered if it was released and became popular before that date. The Grammy's is just completely screwed up in everyway. It is basically nominations for content between October of 2008 and August 31st of 2009.

I am completely out of touch with pop music these days. Kinda sad, I used to keep up but I just can't anymore. I can't imagine caring about 90% of the stuff on these list.

You forgot the most important and popular category!

Best Classical Album

Bernstein: Mass
Marin Alsop, conductor; Jubilant Sykes; Steven Epstein, producer; Richard King, engineer/mixer (Asher Edward Wulfman; Baltimore Symphony Orchestra; Morgan State University Choir & Peabody Children's Chorus)
[Naxos]

Mahler: Symphony No. 8; Adagio From Symphony No. 10
Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor; Ragnar Bohlin, Kevin Fox & Susan McMane, choir directors; Andreas Neubronner, producer; Peter Laenger, engineer/mixer; Andreas Neubronner, mastering engineer (Laura Claycomb, Anthony Dean Griffey, Katarina Karnéus, Quinn Kelsey, James Morris, Yvonne Naef, Elza van den Heever & Erin Wall; San Francisco Symphony; Pacific Boychoir, San Francisco Girls Chorus & San Francisco Symphony Chorus)
[SFS Media]

Ravel: Daphnis Et Chloé
James Levine, conductor; Elizabeth Ostrow, producer; Jesse Lewis & John Newton, engineers/mixers; Mark Donahue, mastering engineer (Boston Symphony Orchestra; Tanglewood Festival Chorus)
[BSO Classics]

Ravel: L'Enfant Et Les Sortilèges
Alastair Willis, conductor; Julie Boulianne; Blanton Alspaugh, producer; Mark Donahue & John Hill, engineers/mixers (Nashville Symphony Orchestra; Chattanooga Boys Choir, Chicago Symphony Chorus & Nashville Symphony Chorus)
[Naxos]

Shostakovich: The Nose
Valery Gergiev, conductor; Andrei Popov, Sergei Semishkur & Vladislav Sulimsky; James Mallinson, producer; John Newton & Dirk Sobotka, engineers/mixers; Mark Donahue, mastering engineer (Orchestra Of The Mariinsky Theatre; Chorus Of The Mariinsky Theatre)
[Mariinsky]

I'm rooting for Levine and the BSO.

Well, at least I think it's the most important =(

McNei1y

RBelong2Us said:
Best Rap Album
Eminem - Relapse
Flo Rida - R.O.O.T.S
Mos Def - The Ecstatic
Q-Tip - The Renaissance

:lol

Q-Tip or Mos Def better win.

As much as I like Eminem, Relapse should NOT be on that list. Its alright to listen to with maybe Beautiful and My Mom being the best songs but best album of 2009? Hell no.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Talon- said:
"Kids" is older than that, my friend. Different version of that song have been around for like 4 years now. That song really blew up around colleges in spring of 2007.

"Kids" is the third single from MGMT's album Oracular Spectacular. It was released as a single on October 13, 2008.[1] T

Therefore eligible.

And best new artist never means debut, it is..."For a new artist who releases, during the Eligibility Year, the first recording which establishes the public identity of that artist."

So just stop bitching about semantics and consider it a "you had you're first mainstream hit last year" award.

Peru

Talon- said:

There are a ton of differences -- not going to go into a long form rant here because no one would listen, but there's a reason Taylor Swift is so critically acclaimed from sources and critics you wouldn't expect, compared to the stuff mentioned above and others in the genre. Of course, to the prejudiced mind all you hear is a crisp and traditional production and you assume the songs are shit. The lyrics, the deft, subtle melodic touches and the wit is what makes Swift rise above.

Mau ®

Pokerface came out in September 23rd so it shouldn't be eligible. I know its her biggest hit but if those are their rules they should follow them... oh who am I kidding they nominated Daft Punk's "Harder, Faster, Stronger, Better" last year.

Papparazzi came out in July 09 and its a more deserving song for honors.

Anyway I cant believe Im not defending the noms. All of them are crap."I am...Sasha Fierce" is such a shitty album, especially the uptempo EP (I only have love for the ballads EP). "The Fame" is full of filler with 4 standout tracks (which became singles). "Fearless" is a cute country pop record but not AOTY material by any stretch.

I could go on...

Anyway I hope Taylor wins just for the GAF meltdown that will follow.

Mau ®

Peru said:
There are a ton of differences -- not going to go into a long form rant here because no one would listen, but there's a reason Taylor Swift is so critically acclaimed from sources and critics you wouldn't expect, compared to the stuff mentioned above and others in the genre. Of course, to the prejudiced mind all you hear is a crisp and traditional production and you assume the songs are shit. The lyrics, the deft, subtle melodic touches and the wit is what makes Swift rise above.

I dont know. Michelle's songs were very good too but I'd say the fact that they werent that big hits was because Michelle was already a young adult when they came out, as opposed to Taylor who was a teen when she hit success.

Plus Taylor is easier to sell. Everybody loves those fun, charming carefree blonds.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
inthezone said:
Pokerface came out in September 23rd so it shouldn't be eligible. I know its her biggest hit but if those are their rules they should follow them... oh who am I kidding they nominated Daft Punk's "Harder, Faster, Stronger, Better" last year.

Papparazzi came out in July 09 and its a more deserving song for honors.

Poker Face came out Sept. 23rd, so it is eligible. If it came out before August 31st, 2008, it isn't.

And how many goddamn times does it have to be said in grammy threads, "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" was from Live 2007.

Mau ®

GoutPatrol said:
Poker Face came out Sept. 23rd, so it is eligible. If it came out before August 31st, 2008, it isn't.

And how many goddamn times does it have to be said in grammy threads, "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" was from Live 2007.

Oh I see. Some poster above said the entries had to be from October 2008 to August 31st 2009 to be eligible.

I didn't know the version nominated was from the Alive 2007 album.

Jay Sosa

Oozer3993 said:
Best Rap Solo Performance
Drake - Best I Ever Had
Eminem - Beautiful
Jay-Z - Death of Autotune
Kid Cudi - Day & Night*
Mos Def - Casa Bey

Best Rap Album
Eminem - Relapse
Flo Rida - R.O.O.T.S.
Mos Def - The Ecstatic
Q-Tip - The Renaissance

What in the world?

*I like this song, a lot, and I like Cudi but come on..

Btw: The lyrics:

[Kid Cudi:]
Day and night (what, what)
I toss and turn, I keep stressing my mind, mind (what, what)
I look for peace but see I don't attain (what, what)
What I need for keeps this silly game we play, play
Now look at this (what, what)
Madness to magnet keeps attracting me, me (what, what)
I try to run but see I'm not that fast (what, what)
I think I'm first but surely finish last, last

[Chorus:]
Cuz day and night
The lonely stoner seems to free his mind at night
He's all alone through the day and night
The lonely loner seems to free his mind at night (at, at, at night)
Day and night
The lonely stoner seems to free his mind at night
He's all alone, some things will never change (never change)
The lonely loner seems to free his mind at night (at, at, at night)

Hold the phone (what, what)
The lonely stoner, mr. solo doe low (what, what)
He's on the move can't seem to shake the shade (what, what)
Within his dreams he see's the life he made, made
The pain is deep (what, what)
A silent sleeper you won't hear a peep, peep (what, what)
The girl he wants don't seem to want him to (what, what)
It seems the feelings that she had are through, through

Slow moe, (what, what)
When the temple slows up and creates that new, new (what, what)
He seems alive though he is feeling blue (what, what)
The sun is shining man he's super cool, cool
The lonely nights (what, what)
They fade away he slips into his white nikes (what, what)
He smokes a clip and then he's on the way (what, what)
To free his mind in search of,

gimmmick

How does U2's best work of this decade just get so over looked? Shit with sweeping the fucking 2006 grammys with how to destruct an atomic bomb, you'd think they would have at least be nominated with more than just one fucking award.

gimmmick

Fuck dude, this whole year's nomination is such a tragedy to popular music :lol

I'm not going to sound like any type of elist, but if no one is going to say it, but why the fuck would anyone nominate the black eye peas - the e.n.d for album of the year?

Man, looking back at it, this was a pretty shitty year for music in general. Yeah there will always be your stand outs, but cheese on rice.

How is GaGa NOT nominated for best female vocal performance? Does not compute.

Also One Love is an amazing track. Dance anthem of 2009. Period.

movie_club

McNei1y said:
Best song on that list.

Everything else is garbage. I can't believe they nominate that crap

For the record: I've been saying Use Somebody is the 2009 best song of the year.
but the kings of leon are terrible

Hellcrow

Don't the grammys usually have a metal category? Or am I mixing it with something else?

EDIT: Forget it. Found it on the site.

Wow the Half-Blood Prince soundtrack got recognized... damn that's great, it's a beautiful and thematic soundtrack. Glad to see it on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom