• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2009 Grammy Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
Crumpet Trumpet said:
Kelly Clarkson snubbed! lol

Best Pop Vocal Album
The Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D.
Colbie Caillat - The Breakthrough
Kelly Clarkson - All I Ever Wanted
The Fray - The Fray
Pink - Funhouse

Medalion said:
Best Pop Vocal Album
The Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D.
Colbie Caillat - The Breakthrough
Kelly Clarkson - All I Ever Wanted
The Fray - The Fray
Pink - Funhouse
Whoops, should have specified for "Best Female Pop Vocal Performance". I love that Already Gone song.

Womanizer is easily most deserving of the Best Dance Recording recognition.

I'd place my bets on Poker Face taking that one, though. Not a bad choice at all, I don't mind celebrating the proper RedOne dance version amid a sea of unfortunate Piano Face performances.

Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals
The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling

wow. lol.

Song of the Year:
Beyonce - Single Ladies
Kings of Leon - Use Somebody
Lady Gaga - Poker Face
Maxwell - Pretty Wings
Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me

Single Ladies should not be on this list :(

Record of the Year
Beyonce - Halo
Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
Lady GaGa - Poker Face
Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

Album of the Year
Beyonce - I Am... Sasha Fierce
Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D.
Lady GaGa - The Fame
Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the Googrux King
Taylor Swift - Fearless

Sigh, again.

Looks like a list created by people who listen to bad radio songs all year.

Medalion

Banned
There shouldn't be a list. I would like one day Grammy's stands in protest...

"You know what, fuck it, music is shit these days, we're cancelling the Grammy's this year and possibly every year to follow till artists get their shit together."

Looks no different than the MTV awards list. I can't believe Kings of Leon is the last new mainstream rock band (even if they're good).

gdt

The strange thing about the Grammys is that they don't even attempt to go for critical faves.

The Emmy's (mostly) and The Oscars wallow in it. So much so that ratings and general interest are down in recent years.

So....yeah.

ToxicAdam

Oozer3993 said:
The nominations concert was on tonight and that means the nominations are out. List of the biggies below:

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance
Pink - Sober

Best Male Pop Vocal Performance
Stevie Wonder - All About The Love Again (They always throw an old artist a bone)

Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals
MGMT - Kids

Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals

Jason Mraz & Colbie Caillat - Lucky

Best Pop Vocal Album
Pink - Funhouse

Best Alternative Music Album
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!

Best Rock Album:
AC/DC - Black Ice (Why the hell not?)

Best Rap Solo Performance
Kid Cudi - Day & Night

Best Rap Album
Q-Tip - The Renaissance

Best New Artist:
Silversun Pickups

Song of the Year:
Lady Gaga - Poker Face

Record of the Year

Album of the Year
Taylor Swift - Fearless

I guess?

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
koam said:
What a joke.. AC/DC? U2?.. come on now.

The three best rock albums of the year aren't even on there:
Them Crooked Vultures, Horehound, Backspacer

You do know that 2/3rd of those you said were not eligible?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
C'moooooooooon CuDi! Just give him one and we're good!

Cudder should've made Alive or CuDi Zone singles, for real. Then he wouldn't look like a one hit wonder to the masses.

Cipherr

kassatsu said:
Papparazzi > Poker Face

This, as a pop song I like Papp more than pokerface. Im not really into the pop genre much but it seems like pokerface isnt nearly as good as papparazzi.

Swag

enzo_gt said:
Cudder should've made Alive or CuDi Zone singles, for real. Then he wouldn't look like a one hit wonder to the masses.

FUCKEN TRUTH, those lists are absolutely atrocious. How are Silversun Pickups nominated for best new artist when their on their second album the first which was released in 2006. How is Cudi not on Best new artist list? How is Flo Rida nominated for Roots but Cudi not nominated for Man on the Moon?

I am absolutely confused and puzzled at how shit those lists are, I thought the grammies were supposed to be the legitimate music award show and the VMAs were where the bads went?

Oh fuck no

GET THE FUCK OUT OF THIS CATEGORY LADY GAGA.

---

Field 2 — Dance

Category 12

Best Dance Recording
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances. Vocal or Instrumental. Singles or tracks only.)

* Boom Boom Pow
The Black Eyed Peas

* When Love Takes Over
David Guetta & Kelly Rowland

* Poker Face
Lady Gaga

* Celebration
Madonna
[Warner Bros.]

* Womanizer
Britney Spears
----

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

----
Category 13

Best Electronic/Dance Album
(For vocal or instrumental albums. Albums only.)

* Divided By Night
The Crystal Method

* One Love
David Guetta

* The Fame
Lady Gaga

* Party Rock
LMFAO

* Yes
Pet Shop Boys
---

GAF is going to love this one
----

Category 17

Best Hard Rock Performance
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

* War Machine
AC/DC

* Check My Brain
Alice In Chains

* What I've Done
Linkin Park

* The Unforgiven III
Metallica

* Burn It To The Ground
Nickelback

---

Other important categories:

Best Metal Performance
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

* Dissident Aggressor
* Set To Fail
Lamb Of God
* Head Crusher
Megadeth
* Señor Peligro
Ministry
* Hate Worldwide
Slayer

What?

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration
* I'm On A Boat
The Lonely Island & T-Pain

Medalion

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
FUCKEN TRUTH, those lists are absolutely atrocious. How are Silversun Pickups nominated for best new artist when their on their second album the first which was released in 2006. How is Cudi not on Best new artist list? How is Flo Rida nominated for Roots but Cudi not nominated for Man on the Moon?

I am absolutely confused and puzzled at how shit those lists are, I thought the grammies were supposed to be the legitimate music award show and the VMAs were where the bads went?

New to the wide public and Grammy committe consideration.

btkadams

im really stoked for gaga and hope she wins some awards but the electronic/dance nominations are pretty piss poor.

atkbob

Banned
Sebulon3k said:

lol

Best Rap Album
Common - Universal Mind Control
Eminem - Relapse
Flo Rida - R.O.O.T.S.
Mos Def - The Ecstatic
Q-Tip - The Renaissance
lol

Relapse and UMC are two of the worst albums I've ever heard. I like The Ecstatic, and The Renaissance is good too. Dunno if they're "best of the year" quality though. Plus, The Renaissance came out last year

PhoenixDark said:
lol

Relapse and UMC are two of the worst albums I've ever heard. I like The Ecstatic, and The Renaissance is good too. Dunno if they're "best of the year" quality though. Plus, The Renaissance came out last year

this has to be hyperbole.

Lol at Silversun Pickups in best new artist, a couple of songs off of Carnavas were decent-sized hits and that album came out in 2006.

xrich

Banned
Persona7 said:
Lady Gaga.

2hrec78.jpg

AWESOME :lol

as much as I love Taylor, she should not be winning any kind of "best vocal performance" out of the other nominees imo.

and Flo-Rida but no Kid Cudi? FUCK YOU Grammys

enzo_gt said:
C'moooooooooon CuDi! Just give him one and we're good!

They should have done a better job promoting Pursuit of Happiness. that shits fire. Cudi Zone is a good one too, but instead i think hes doing Solo Dolo...

kingkitty

Were there no other albums to nominate for album of the year that they had to choose the Black fucking Peas? Jesus H. Christ.

I hope Taylor wins though <3

phalestine

aka iby.h
Hasphat6462 said:
That and Original of the Species, I agree.

But, No Line has far better guitar work and better production than the last 3 U2 albums.

Original of the Species is in my top five songs from U2. Never understood the hate for HTDAAB, I thought it was a fantastic album, along with No line on the horizon.

Also the poster you quoted, "I know ill go crazy" is defintenly more fun perfomed live then City of blinding lights, but studio City of blinding lights is better.

Anyway, Hope U2 wins rock album of the year.

MIMIC

Banned
xrich said:
AWESOME :lol

as much as I love Taylor, she should not be winning any kind of "best vocal performance" out of the other nominees imo.

and Flo-Rida but no Kid Cudi? FUCK YOU Grammys

Agreed.

I think Beyonce should get "Song of the Year". After all, "Single Ladies" was wildly popular and started a whole "I gotta learn the dance and posted on YouTube" following.

MIMIC said:
I think Beyonce should get "Song of the Year". After all, "Single Ladies" was wildly popular and started a whole "I gotta learn the dance and posted on YouTube" following.

Should Crank Dat have won a grammy too?

Medalion

Banned
phalestine said:
Original of the Species is in my top five songs from U2. Never understood the hate for HTDAAB, I thought it was a fantastic album, along with No line on the horizon.

Also the poster you quoted, "I know ill go crazy" is defintenly more fun perfomed live then City of blinding lights, but studio City of blinding lights is better.

Anyway, Hope U2 wins rock album of the year.

I really love the City of BLinding Lights performance from the Live in Chicago dvd. Other performances of the song seem low-key in comparison.

Medalion

Banned
Eaten By A Grue said:
Isn't "MGMT - Kids" more then I year old? I could have sworn I was listening to this in 2008. The music video always freaks me out.

It came out in Oct 2008. The Grammys has a wide berth. The song got more popular in 2009 to my recollection.

Peru

Barrage said:
If Taylor Swift wins, Kanye is the best thing that ever happened to her.

Hasn't this dumb opinion been refuted enough times in other threads? She was the best-selling artist in the world before that incident, her debut album is the one album that's stayed the longest on the billboard charts of any this decade, she's been both critically and commercially acclaimed for the past year. If there EVER was a lock for a Grammy sweep it was her, long before that overblown thing that had no actual impact.

Medalion

Banned
Peru said:
Hasn't this dumb opinion been refuted enough times in other threads? She was the best-selling artist in the world before that incident, her debut album is the one album that's stayed the longest on the billboard charts of any this decade, she's been both critically and commercially acclaimed for the past year. If there EVER was a lock for a Grammy sweep it was her, long before that overblown thing that had no actual impact.

If GAF hasn't heard of her, she must not be popular because lord knows GAF is always loving what is new and hip and popular :p

Medalion said:
If GAF hasn't heard of her, she must not be popular because lord knows GAF is always loving what is new and hip and popular :p

isn't GAF mostly equivalent to the most sought-after demographic? males 18-35?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom