• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Top Fast Food Chains

Status
Not open for further replies.

slit

According to Zagat
NEW YORK—Zagat released results of its 2011 Fast Food survey based on responses from 6,064 Zagat.com diners who ate at chain outlets at least once a month. The survey covered 103 major fast-food chains, and survey respondents weighed in on everything from breakfast to burgers and fries to frozen yogurt, separately rating each chain on the quality of its food, facilities and service using Zagat's signature 30-point scale.

The survey results divided the chains into four categories—large (up to 5,000 U.S. outlets), mega (more than 5,000) and quick-refreshment (focusing on beverages, ice cream and the like).

In terms of the top overall ratings, Wendy’s posted the No. 1 spot in the mega chains category, followed by Subway, McDonalds, Pizza Hut and KFC, respectively, In the large chains category, Chick-fil-A toppled In-N-Out Burger for bragging rights to the No.1 spot, followed by Papa Murphy’s, Panera Bread and Chipotle Mexican Grill, respectively. Garnering the No. 1 spot in the quick refreshment category was Pinkberry, followed by Red Mango, Peet’s Coffee & Tea, Culver’s and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, respectively.

In terms of the popular favorites, Subway took the No. 1 spot in the mega chains category, followed by McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Burger King and Taco Bell, respectively. In the large chains category, Five Guys was the most popular, followed by Panera Bread, Chipolte, Chik-fil-A and In-N-Out Burger, respectively. Starbuck’s brewed up the No. 1 spot in the quick refreshment category, followed by Dunkin’ Donuts, Culver’s, Ben & Jerry’s and Cold Stone Creamery, respectively.

With a commitment to health-conscious menu items, the winners for Top Healthy Options include Subway in the mega-chain category; Jason's Deli in the large chains category; and Red Mango in the quick refreshment category.

Here are all the poll results: http://www.zagat.com/fastfood#

Wendy's even being in the top 5 for fries is astounding. They're one of the Worst IMO. Also, Kfc was rated higher than Popeye's for fried chicken, which is ridiculous. Popeye's>>>>>>>>>>KFC.

A least they gave Red Robin props in full service areas, they're one of the best in the national chains anyway but they gave Steak n Shake the no 2 spot for best burgers which means the people who took the survey must not have fully functional taste buds because I think Steak n Shake burgers are just bland. Five Brothers is pretty good but I don't know if they deserve best burger. I noticed Arby's or Hardee's weren't mentioned once, in any category at all, lol. In the full-service chains I think IHOP is better than Cracker Barrel for breakfast but they gave Cracker Barrel the nod.

Sanjuro

Wendy's can have the best fries. They are the most variable of the major three. Burger King is the most consistent, McDonalds are just the worst.

Just give me a Chik-fil-A plz.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
hemtae said:
Five Guys beats In-N-Out

Take that West Coasters
Im from the east coast and I think that is bullshit.

hemtae said:
EDIT: On the other hand KFC beat Popeyes
YEAH bullshit

tiBdD.gif

In what kind of universe does KFC outrank Popeye's?

Edit: McDonalds outranking Taco Bell in value is debatable. But Chik-fil-a? It's delicious, but you can't get meal for a buck there.

Edit 2: Zaxby's wings beaten by KFC? What KFC does Zagat go to?!

DOO13ER said:
Is Whataburger a local thing?

Because as far as fast food burgers go, they're the best.
They're kind of dry.

I'll take some Chipotle, plz.

I totally stole Sanjuro's line, and I'm not giving it back.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The only good thing at Five Guys is the hot dogs. It would be the fries if they didn't dump a gallon of salt or seasoning on them. And the burgers? Fuck outta here.

And lol @ Subway making a quality list. I dunno, maybe the non gas station hole in the wall ones ain't half bad. But that ain't most of them.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
DOO13ER said:
Is Whataburger a local thing?

Because as far as fast food burgers go, they're the best.

I think they're only in the south. And yes, they are the best.

UrokeJoe

Chipotle is better than say Taco Bell, but other than that it really sucks, and I say this meaning it straight up sucks. I honestly don't get the admiration or addiction people have for it.

As a chain and what they do, yeah okay I guess..

JGS

Banned
slit said:
Wendy's even being in the top 5 for fries is astounding. They're one of the Worst IMO. Also, Kfc was rated higher than Popeye's for fried chicken, which is ridiculous. Popeye's>>>>>>>>>>KFC.
This is now factually incorrect to match my opinion.

Mom and pop shops make the best chicken, and the better options are Lee's & Culver's chicken. I can't stand Popeye's.

slit said:
In the full-service chains I think IHOP is better than Cracker Barrel for breakfast but they gave Cracker Barrel the nod.
I like both places but Cracker destroys IHOP's pancakes. I want some of them now.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
I've never even heard of some of the full service chains.

Red Robin? Bonefish Grill? Carrabba's Italian Grill? Steak 'n Shake?

I feel like almost all of these chains are localized entirely in the south. Or I don't watch enough TV to see their ads...

B!TCH said:

I feel like almost all of these chains are localized entirely in the south. Or I don't watch enough TV to see their ads...

Steak 'n Shake is the bomb.

slit

B!TCH said:

Well I'm in the north and all of those chains have a location near me minus Carrabba's. Steak n Shake is all over the damn place where I live.

Jenga

Banned
kfc = best sides
popeye's = best chicken
church's = best biscuit

ultimate fast food chicken meal would be a culmination of all listed

ToxicAdam

B!TCH said:

Plenty of these in the midwest.

Carrabba's is pretty good.

reKon

Banned
The midwest runs this (yay for us fatties)

oh and qdoba shits on chipotle simply due to the queso sauce that they offer.

B!TCH said:

Red Robin's pricey, but a pretty good burger.
Bonefish Grill is WAY overpriced, and entirely forgettable.
Carrabba's is mediocre, and everything tastes the same. Chicken tastes like steak. Fish tastes like steak. Salad tastes like steak (Not really, but the rest is true)
Steak n' Shake has great milkshakes, and some pretty tasty dishes like chili spaghetti. I've actually never had their steak, because I can't imagine it being good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
do there exist any american who don't eat entirely at "chain" restaurants? even for nice family meals it seems that americans simply go to these types of places.

very odd to me....

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Wendy's can have the best fries. They are the most variable of the major three. Burger King is the most consistent, McDonalds are just the worst.

Just give me a Chik-fil-A plz.

Had to double check your avatar and make sure that I didn't write this. Agree on every count.

Also, In-N-Out is stupid overrated (but pretty good), but Whataburger is fucking disgusting. Not even drunk and starving can I eat that garbage. And I've tried both the burgers and the breakfast.

AstroLad said:
do there exist any american who don't eat entirely at "chain" restaurants? even for nice family meals it seems that americans simply go to these types of places.

very odd to me....

Just have to get out of the suburbs.

Axion22

Five Guys sucks so bad. It's not even decent.

Chipotle - lol I can't even. I'm just sad you guys don't have real taco shops.

slit

AstroLad said:

very odd to me....

Of course, I bet most of the Americans in this thread can name a local place that does the national chains specialty better. We're just comparing food from a common reference.

AstroLad said:

very odd to me....

It's kind of hard to discuss local places and homecooked food, as nobody else has eaten there.
Edit: Beaten

ToxicAdam

AstroLad said:

very odd to me....

Depends where you live. In smaller towns, the local restaurants are often of terrible quality or horrible decor/location. If you are lucky to have a good, local restaurant it's often pricey as hell or always busy.

Log4Girlz

I love my local Steak and Shake. I took my dad to it, which he was shocked to learn the damn things been around for ages. He thought it was the best burger he's ever had (and he's 75).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
slit said:
Of course, I bet most of the Americans in this thread can name a local place that does the national chains specialty better. We're just comparing food from a common reference.
And depending on the area, people can give multiple local places that do things a lot better. For example, Chipotle - those of us in California can likely give you a dozen or more recommendations easily of places that make better burritos, some of them being other local fast food chains or food trucks even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom