• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Top Fast Food Chains

Status
Not open for further replies.

way more

J-Rod said:
I can't help but think folks are being dramatic when they claim frozen paper thin patties just big enough to not fall apart with an order of reconstructed frozen potatoes fried in a cocktail of cheap oils is somehow so much better than never frozen hand formed patties on custom baked bread with fresh cut fries cooked in peanut oil. Makes no sense to me.

it's all in execution. In-N-Out uses fresh, never froze, fries yet they make them completely wrong. Fresh bread? Great! Unless it's just as white-bread and toothless as the competition, except sometimes the other guys toast the bun.

Hand formed patties? Fantastic. Unless they serve them well done. You can serve me a cruelty free, organic and fair share produced burger and if it tastes like crap I'm not about to sing it's praises because of it's various titles.

ph33nix said:
It's a shame Raising Canes isn't in more places. Because oh my god I wish I could express truly how delicious this box is:

(And if you hate cole slaw like I do you can get more toast)

raising-canes-box-lg.jpg
It's funny, Popeyes is so New Orleans and Cane's is so Baton Rouge.

Cane's is alright, but the quality of the chicken even in their hometown is inconsistent. $1 for a huge, juicy breast tender is not the same as $1 for something barely bigger than a Wendy's nugget and covered in so much overcooked batter it almost breaks your teeth.

Cane's sauce is good though, but it's not like "omg how did they make this" or anything. You can taste the majority of individual ingredients right away, mostly ketchup, mayo, worcestershire, little vinegar, barely visible amounts of black pepper and cayenne.

As far as Baton Rouge exports, I'd definitely vote more for Izzo's, though even then all their toppings taste like Winn Dixie brand bulk items.

I fail to see how 5 guys is fast food. I've been to a decent amount of locations and it always takes about 10 minutes to get the fucking easy to make burgers i order.

way more

elitehebrew said:
I fail to see how 5 guys is fast food. I've been to a decent amount of locations and it always takes about 10 minutes to get the fucking easy to make burgers i order.

I'm pretty sure that's the appeal of the place. As a guy who has worked in many kitchens the problem is clearly the "5" guys part. Those extra people slow it the hell down and you can watch as it take three people just to put your toppings on the damn burger. Hire like 3 mexicans and they could do the same job faster.

But hey, if it takes that long it's got to better than the fast places.

barbecube

Recent transplant to the West Coast here. In-n-Out makes a damn good burger, better than most East Coast fast food chains for sure (haven't tried Five Guys so I don't have a dog in that fight), but I gotta agree about their fries. Those things are just not very good at all.

What would be perfect is if you could get an animal-style double with a good iceberg wedge salad and some blue cheese dressing.

JGS

Banned
BeautifulMemory said:
I need to go to another popeye since the one I went to their chicken were really dry...I like mine juicy like KFCs
I don't like Popeye's because they are the wrong kind of juicy. They look too pink at the bone plus I'm not a big fan of extra crispy.

barbecube said:
Recent transplant to the West Coast here. In-n-Out makes a damn good burger, better than most East Coast fast food chains for sure (haven't tried Five Guys so I don't have a dog in that fight), but I gotta agree about their fries. Those things are just not very good at all.

Always ask for for your fries to be well-done. They are much better than the regular fries.

But speaking of Five Guys, ended up having a cheeseburger, some cajun fries (no extra scoop) and a regular drink. I don't really care for the fries, but I guess a part of me hopes that it'll taste better than the last time - it never does though. The other thing that annoys me is definitely their "assembly line" to make a burger - five different people just to put on burger toppings? Really?

Waiting for well-done fries at In-N-Out makes sense - they're frying it twice but waiting for Five Guys to make a simple cheeseburger is just baffling to me as far as fast food goes.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Houston3000 said:
Red Robins are all over the North, they're a NW chain I believe but they're expanded out to the North East coast as well. But save for some in Southern California they're not in the south at all.

Bonefish Grill is an East Coast thing, mostly situated around higher-end cities but you can find them dotted around in the sub-burbs. Florida had a ton of em when I lived there and they're also all over New Jersey.

The only Steak 'n Shakes I know of are in Florida but they kick ass, I'm sure they're other places to though.

Never heard of Carrabba's myself in either Florida, New York, or anywhere in between.

There are several Carrabba's out on the island, never seen any Bonefish Grill out here. We had a Red Robin about 20 years ago in the local mall, but they closed down, and recently one opened up over here.

I try not to eat at chains, always preferring the local option if possible... but sometimes that's hard to do, chains are just so convenient, especially when you're with a big group made up of unadventurous eaters. It's crazy how many people would rather eat bland chain food than take a risk at a new restaurant.

Raw64life

In-N-Out > Five Guys and I live on the east coast. They're both delicious though. A Red Robin opened up by me recently and it's awesome but definitely does not qualify as fast food.

ph33nix said:
It's a shame Raising Canes isn't in more places. Because oh my god I wish I could express truly how delicious this box is:

(And if you hate cole slaw like I do you can get more toast)

raising-canes-box-lg.jpg

Truth. Best chicken fingers I've ever had, and far less expensive than casual dining places.

The sauce is downright Godly. I dip everything in it; the chicken, the fries, the toast, the napkin

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
First thing that caught my eye is the Wendy's bit. They changed their fries about a half year ago or so. They suck now. The old biggie fries were way better and my fav. Not they look more natural and just taste off. Bad aftertaste is true.

And having just moved to Florida, believe the hype about Chick-fil-a. It's really good and they crisp their bacon unlike every other place. I don't know how far they stretch but I never saw one in CA or MI when I lived there.

apana

Am I the only one who thinks Domino's makes the best pizza? I know most people don't seem to like it but for me they have just the right combination of all the different ingredients. It just feels right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom