• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Top Fast Food Chains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
ph33nix said:
LOL I am out of this thread yes Canes is overpriced like hell and they could use more than one item but to say it tastes bad shows the direction humanity is in

You mean arguing about how good or bad fast food tastes on a message board forum? You know you're actually arguing about what tastes better while killing you. Do yourself a favor, eat fast food once a month and you won't die of heart disease by the time you're 50.

hemtae

Houston3000 said:
Red Robins are all over the North, they're a NW chain I believe but they're expanded out to the North East coast as well. But save for some in Southern California they're not in the south at all.

Never heard of Carrabba's myself in either Florida, New York, or anywhere in between.

I know there is a ton of Red Robins in Texas. I also know of a Carrabba's in Houston

coldvein

Banned
i'm a little surprised about how passionate people are about their fastfood burgers/whatever in this thread. like "place a. RULES while place b IS TOTAL GARBAGE!". sure there's some difference in quality between mcdonald's and wendy's or burger king.. but it's pretty minor in my opinion.

like i already said in the thread, i eat fast food pretty regularly. i eat it when i don't feel like cooking for myself, or i don't want to do any dishes, whatever. it's for convenience, not quality. does anyone actually think 'i want some really good food for dinner, i think i'll go to wendy's' ?

that's just me, though..

marrec

Banned
Porthos said:
I've never had Sonic so I can't comment but if Five Guys was "mediocre at best", you wouldn't have so many people liking them and they wouldn't always be winning these best burger polls. Maybe you just had some unlucky experiences at Five Guys.

I honestly think there is just a vacuum of good burger joints on the East Coast and when Five-Guys started making okay burgers people freaked out and started naming them the best. Really, I've tried Five-Guys multiple times and just cannot figure out why it is so beloved.

When your options are McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys, or Five-Guys... ya, I can see Five-Guys being the best out of that. But Sonic and Whataburger and Jack-in-the-Box and In-n-Out all beat Five-Guys pretty easily in my book and most people who've tried these multiple chains (that I have talked to personally) agree with me.

Either way, Sonic is miles ahead of Five-Guys in terms of Burgers.

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
I'm pretty sure you were the guy who told me to give them another chance in an old burger thread too.

And Sonic? Seriously? They have great drinks but that's all I'd ever go there for.

It was really hard to cook the lunch rush everyday with a pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes in my gut.

And Sonic isn't so bad. I'd take a Sonic burger over a BK or McD's burger anytime. And the blue coconut limeade is heaven in a styrofoam cup.

And I need to shoutout to Schlotzki's. They're not very common, but they're fan-fucking-tastic.

Grimm Fandango said:
The fuck is wrong with people.

At least Wendy's is number 1. Spicy chicken sandwich is amazing.
Oh, god. So true. They've probably had them for a long time, but I was extremely happy when they added spicy chicken nuggets to the menu.

Also F' Yeah at Papa Murphy's. My favorite pizza place ever. Closest I've come to it is a tiny little Ale house in Snohomish that has this pizza covered in spicy sausage and multiple other types of meat. I think it's called the "Piggy in Heat".

I love Canes we have one near my area. So good, but so expensive

I also like Dominoes pizza. It's not half bad.

I've had Whataburger a few times and the burgers always felt plain.

never had In'n'out since I live in Texas, but, I have a Freebirds and Chipotle near me and a Red Robin.

Schlotzki's is god-tier amazing. I have one near me.

Arbys was pretty good too.

Popeyes is meh, the sides are really good. I mainly prefer my moms cooking, even if it is store bought it's better than KFC and popeyes imo.

mt1200

Taco bell's burritos are not good, and their spicy sauce is too mild, but their cheesed nachos are yummy.

I'd say Papa Johns, is the best pizza i've eaten.

marrec

Banned
mt1200 said:
Taco bell's burritos are not good, and their spicy sauce is too mild, but their cheesed nachos are yummy.

I'd say Papa Jones, is the best pizza i've eaten.

This thread is baffling at every turn.

hwalker84

How in the hell is KFC over Popeye's???

Their Chicken is on another planet compared to KFC!

The Green Beans with Turkey Bacon Gravy :)

mt1200

marrec said:
This thread is baffling at every turn.

There are not so many fast food chains outside of the US, remember that.

Mac donald's meat is the worst thing ever, and their burgers are way too small.

Shiv47

I'll join in the Culver's love, since one finally opened near me. Fantastic burgers. Five Guys has the shittiest fries of any fast food place, they're just super-greasy and mushy. And why give me so goddamn many? Jesus, a small order serves about six people.

marrec

Banned
mt1200 said:
There are not so many fast food chains outside of the US, remember that.

*mind-blown*

I never considered that.

Taco-Bell is fine, and liking their Nachos is cool.

Shiv47 said:
I'll join in the Culver's love, since one finally opened near me. Fantastic burgers. Five Guys has the shittiest fries of any fast food place, they're just super-greasy and mushy. And why give me so goddamn many? Jesus, a small order serves about six people.

OMG Thank you for injecting some sanity into the Five-Guys discussion, those Fries are the absolute worst. The oil they use must be 2 weeks old.

JGS said:
Not the best, but good for the price.

I love their chili dogs, but for the record, they are nowhere near 5 Guys in terms of burgers.

This may just be a case of 'To Each His Own' (Although I feel I'm in the minority here) but Five-Guys is the last place I'd go for Burgers or Fries, both are extremely underwhelming.

JGS

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
I've been meaning to try their new hot dogs. The chicago dog looks good.

sonic_all_beef_hotdogs.jpg
Not the best, but good for the price.

I love their chili dogs, but for the record, they are nowhere near 5 Guys in terms of burgers.

AbsoluteZero said:

that "Chicago' dog is the saddest thing I've ever seen.

chicago-hot-dogs.jpg

If I don't feel like I have to eat it immediately before the pickle and relish juice dissolves the bun, then it's not a chicago style hot dog.

Cptkrush

You guys must have some really shitty Five-Guys places around you. The one up the street from me always has clean oil, great service and the burgers aren't nearly as sloppy as some of the others I've been to around here. If you can find a well maintained Five-Guys, it literally is the best place in the world. I have yet to find a fast food place with burgers as good as theirs and their fries are pretty decent as well. I'm also a sucker for malt vinegar, so they had me there too.

AbsoluteZero said:

I'm starting to get annoyed by Sonic commercials, they always have something I want to try, but the closest location is over ten miles away, which seems like a long distance to go when I've probably got like six other fast food resturants within a mile of my house.

JGS

Banned
Smision said:
I like 5 Guys, but $10 for a burger, drink, and fries is ridiculous (at least, at the chicago franchises)
For the record, Culver's is just about as expensive with the sides and burger being smaller.

I love both, plus Culver's fried chicken is awesome too. hate their chicken sandwiches though

EDIT: Just realized that for such a small city, lexington has a ton of stuff. I think the only think missing is In N' Out.

marrec

Banned
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
If GAF has taught me anything, it's that you're either for or against something.

I personally am not against Five-Guys, if that's your best Burger place then I'm sorry but I'm not against it. I just want to get to the bottom of this overwhelming wave of love for their middling burgers and horrible fries.

The more people I talk to the more it seems like every Five-Guys I have been too is just the worst and there are these mythical 'Good' storefronts lurking out there like some kind of White Whale waiting for me to bust in and enjoy their delicious burgers.

marrec said:
I personally am not against Five-Guys, if that's your best Burger place then I'm sorry but I'm not against it. I just want to get to the bottom of this overwhelming wave of love for their middling burgers and horrible fries.

The more people I talk to the more it seems like every Five-Guys I have been too is just the worst and there are these mythical 'Good' storefronts lurking out there like some kind of White Whale waiting for me to bust in and enjoy their delicious burgers.
No worries, I'm one of the In N Out cult loonies.

JGS

Banned
marrec said:

It's in Lexington. I have never had a bad burger from them, although one time they they left the meat off my burger completely.

Five guys is decent but that is coming from someone who lives in VA and that is about the best we have for a fast food style place. To pricey for my liking and it's nothing amazing.

Sadly the only thing that is better around here is no longer fast food and that is Red Robin

guldakot

AbsoluteZero said:

The dogs are very average. They use the wrong kind of bun and the toppings are off ( for the chicago red hots anyways).

Bigfoot

marrec said:

Ok, maybe it is just you then. Not everyone has the same tastes so of course what you think is a good burger could differ greatly from the majority. It's like steak... I know people that only eat them well done, which to me is just dry and tasteless. Give me a medium rare steak with tons of spices any day.

I agree with what someone else said... on GAF, if you don't love something, then it is the worst thing ever! ;)

JGS said:
For the record, Culver's is just about as expensive with the sides and burger being smaller.

I love both, plus Culver's fried chicken is awesome too. hate their chicken sandwiches though

EDIT: Just realized that for such a small city, lexington has a ton of stuff. I think the only think missing is In N' Out.

Totally true. At least during my time there a decade ago, the chicken sandwiches were the only thing I couldn't recommend wholeheartedly.

J-Rod

Out of the chicken finger joints, I prefer abners over canes and zaxbys. Zaxbys is like a solid crust of pure salt to me.

way more

JGS said:
That sounded like a bad bun. 5 Guys here has buns that are soft and sweet almost like a dinner roll. With something spicy and bacon, it's near pefect if not for the sloppiness.

It's hard to argue against either of them though

I'll argue.

A: They don't bother toasting the bun

B: They wrap the entire thing and seal it in foil. Any residual heat steams the fuck out of the bun and it becomes a sad, soggy affair.

Add the fact that they use Kraft plastic cheese and it equals = You can get a better burger at most mexican or pizza places. Oh, and I might be able to get my burger medium at those other places.

5 Guys is all show. They deliver what is comparable to a Lotto-Burger, Whataburger, but they put on a a little pageant for you. You are basically paying for the burger to take longer to be made.

JGS

Banned
mac said:
I'll argue.

A: They don't bother toasting the bun

B: They wrap the entire thing and seal it in foil. Any residual heat steams the fuck out of the bun and it becomes a sad, soggy affair.

Add the fact that they use Kraft plastic cheese and it equals = You can get a better burger at most mexican or pizza places. Oh, and I might be able to get my burger medium at those other places.

5 Guys is all show. They deliver what is comparable to a Lotto-Burger, Whataburger, but they put on a a little pageant for you. You are basically paying for the burger to take longer to be made.
A. This is a plus for their burgers given their bun

B. This is a problem with any take home burger. It's never been an issue eating it there. The burger is sloppy and totally unrefined but I'm not seeing that as a bad thing.

"C". Kraft singles is the standard for fast food burgers.

I don't think I'm arguing with the notion that 5 Guys is not a restaurant burger. Although I think it's as good considering all the options, it certainly not the same.

J-Rod

I can't help but think folks are being dramatic when they claim frozen paper thin patties just big enough to not fall apart with an order of reconstructed frozen potatoes fried in a cocktail of cheap oils is somehow so much better than never frozen hand formed patties on custom baked bread with fresh cut fries cooked in peanut oil. Makes no sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom