• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Convenience Stores - Which chain do you think is the best menu wise? (7-Eleven, Wawa, et.c.)

What convenience store chain do you prefer in terms of menu

• 7-Eleven

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Wawa

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Local

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters

Jubenhimer

Convenience stores. The bastard love child of a grocery market and a fast food restaurant frequented by many a hungry folk who want something to eat, but don't have time to sit down, or too tired/lazy to cook. These stores sell a wide range of stuff, primarily food, with many also doubling as gas stations.

The biggest in this somewhat overlooked genre of the food service industry, at least on a national/global level, is 7-Eleven.
GettyImages-1168056669-e1617719363419.jpg

7-Eleven (which strangely is owned by a Japanese Conglomerate called 7 & i Holdings) is the name everybody thinks of when it comes to the convenience store. The chain's menu features a range of food market staples. Chips, Cookies, Ice Cream, Drinks, etc. As well as a selection of ready made cooked food such as Pizza and Taquitos, and non-food products like cigarettes and lighters. The most iconic food product on 7-Eleven's menu though, is the Slurpee, everybody's favorite frozen carbonated diabetes bomb. With self-serve machines, and 7 flavors to choose from at a time, getting a Slurpee is the main reason most people stop at 7-Eleven to begin with. Best of all, a small Slurpee is often on sale for just a dollar.

what-the-fanta.jpg

Unfortunately the thing that kills 7-Eleven's food, for me at least, is the fact that almost none of it is made-to-order. With maybe one or two exceptions, nearly every food item at 7-Eleven for sale is either pre-packaged, self-serve, or has been sitting on a hot plate/roller for far too long. The Entree options are limited, and sometimes gross looking (Looking at the Wings mainly), and the stuff that isn't gross is only okay at best. If your goal is to get some chips or donuts, grab some coffee, and maybe pick up a Slurpee or two, 7-Eleven isn't a bad option. It's just not the best place to go if you're looking to pick up lunch.

Those who live on the East Coast like I do however, fortunately have a much better alternative in Wawa.

6OQELDOHHRGNPPQH5GSXIPTXEA.jpg

With only 800 stores, the majority of them at mentioned, being in the East Coast states, and no global presence to speak of, Wawa is a much smaller name in the field compared to 7-Eleven. Still, Wawa has gained a following as a sort of tourist attraction for those visiting the East, and its easy to see why. Like other convenience stores, Wawa features a selection of pre-packaged foods and self serve drinks, along with other essentials such as the staple gas station at select locations.

The difference, is that Wawa has a much larger menu than 7-Eleven. With a large portion of it, being made-to-order offerings, including its famous Subs (or Hoggies as they call them). Simply head to a touch screen kiosk, select what you want, and your food is ready within a couple minutes at most. The customization options for its made-to-order items are extensive, and in addition to sandwiches, there's also a selection of Burgers, sides, and a dizzying array of made-to-order drinks. And that's on top of its pre-made and self-serve offerings too. Wawa may not have a first-party item as iconic as 7-Eleven's Slurpee, but it makes up for it with its sheer variety. The food is pretty good too, my only real complaint is that their self-serve Ice Coffee tastes like ass compared to their MTO options.

But, there are also other options for those who don't live on the East as well. So I guess this is more of a question of, would you rather go to 7-Eleven and get some quick food, or literally any other convenience store?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hear Love’s and Flying J are nice. They both have an overly priced selection of electronics you can purchase. I haven’t tried their food. Casey’s has the best breakfast pizza.

Last edited:
Wawa shits all over 7-11 from great heights, there isn't even a contest there. lol, I go there cause the gas is generally a few cents cheaper and then I usually blow an extra five spot on a milkshake or something anyways.

KrakenIPA

Whew, ima cook. I don't even eat my own food.

If I had to choose one then it would be some chicken strips with the ranch cup that fits in my cup holder.

Edit: Buc-ee's sounds so good

Last edited:
Wawa used to be a little better when they were convenience stores that mostly sold hoagies.

All the new Wawas are gas stations and the quality isn’t too great. Menu is massive now, but it’s the type of stuff you might pick up if you need quick bite to eat on the road. Not the type of food you really look forward to eating.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Which ever gas station has a Laredo Taco Company restaurant inside it. They have legit good tacos as far as gas station food goes with handmade tortillas.

Soltype

I've heard Buc-ee's is great but i've never been to one.

AF1QipPXr1hQE3yX2gNeagngmYkoRpmj6ooLY-ngovJn=s1360-w1360-h1020
They opened one in town a few years back, it's legit. It's not the best food, but for gas station food it's head and shoulders above the rest. This was one of the few places open and still accessible during the last hurricane, the entire Daytona Beach/Port Orange area was crammed in there.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I had pizza from a Casey’s not too long ago. I’m not proud of it. I guess it could have been worse.

Dural

I don't have one near me, though I've heard they might be coming, but Buc-ees looks pretty amazing. A local one that has really good baked goods is KwikTrip. My wife went to her cousins baby shower recently and all the food was from KwikTrip, she brought some banana bread home and it was surprisingly good.

Mossybrew

Yeah I've also heard of the legend of Buc-ee's but I've never lived anywhere remotely close to one. Never seen or even heard of Wawa. Of course 7-11 is everywhere but I don't know what kind of desperate mode I'd have to be in to buy food there, plenty of other better fast food options all over the place.

Rush2112

Banned
I live in California and I don’t go to convenience stores anymore. Don’t feel like getting harrassed by homeless people Or car jacked by gang bangers.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Lawsons in Japan. Good food. Famima here in the states used to be good. Shame they folded.

ReBurn

Gold Member

I went to one and it was pretty amazing. Fresh BBQ, fresh roasted pecans with cinnamon sugar, fresh fudge. Clothing, home furnishings and outdoor grills. Like 100 gas pumps...it's like Food network, walmart and 7-Eleven had a child that only inherited the best parts of each.

Kacho

Sheetz and Wawa are pretty much even to me. I used to swear by Sheetz but Wawa has better quality overall.

7-11 has always been nasty to me. I can do their Taquitos in a pinch but I’ll never touch their pizza, hot dogs or whatever crusty stuff they have sitting on the hot rack. I see people buying that stuff all the time though.

Last edited:

Nydius

For most of my life, the only convenience store chain in my home town was 7-Eleven.

Then Wawa started creeping south and suddenly we had a Wawa on the corner directly across from the 7-Eleven in my neighborhood. I don't think I ever went to 7-Eleven again except on Slurpee day. Wawa's menu was just so much better and their food was so much better than the heat lamp hot dogs and pizzas at the 7-Eleven. The corner Wawa is literally the only thing I miss from where I used to live. Now the closest replica I have is CASEY'S General Stores but every single time I've eaten there I've gotten sick as hell.

When we went cross country and half way back, I found that Love's Travel Plaza and Pilot Flying J had some amazing food. Some Pilot locations have their own pizza that puts most of the big chain pizza outlets to shame (edit: PJ Fresh Marketplace/Pizza is what they sell it under, shoutout to the Flying J in Jerome, ID for some of the best pizza I've had from any chain). Later this summer the wife and I are planning to head down to Houston for a couple Astros games and on the way I'm gonna finally get to experience Buc-ees. I hope it lives up to the hype.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've seen videos of Buc-ees too and it's incredible what a "gas station" can be. It's hard to describe what I saw. It's not a grocery store, but as big as one (if not bigger) that sells gas station stuff and grab and go food, but with 10x the selection that is better shit, and also sells camping/BBQ gear. I've never seen anything close to this kind of shop. Makes sense though. It's like the ultimate one stop shop for road trippers.

I'm not a fancy eater. If one of these were around me, I'd eat there all the time!

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Yeah it sounds funny to anyone that didn't grow up with it, but it is derived from a Native American word for snow goose. Just ignore the fact the goose in the logo isn't a snow goose 😅
Well I wasnt expecting that but I guess that shows my true ignorance on such things!

And i'd be lying if I said I even knew what a snow goose looked like, or snow, we rarely get any at all :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But you're right after looking, it looks more like a canadian goose 👀

Jubenhimer

Surprised nobody's mentioned Royal Farms yet (another East Coast C-Store/Gas Station chain. Known for its fried chicken).

screen-shot-2016-09-29-at-114310-am-thursday-sep-29*1200xx1347-758-0-11.png

Last edited:

GeekyDad

In the U.S.? A supermarket is still the best convenience, for me anyway. I can't (don't want to) imagine eating the shite in a convenience store. Although, I have watched some videos that show the differences of those types of stores in Japan, and yeah, they are vastly different. I would peruse one of those perhaps.

BlackTron

I liked Wawa as a kid. Used to walk to one to buy candy/snacks. Now there are none near me anymore. I haven't even seen one in decades.

Gas stations/convenience stores have no utility for me at all now that I can drive and have access to, well, grocery stores. Even if I just wanted to grab some packaged snacks, the now-ubiquitous dollar store does the same thing without the extra 150-300% markup.

belmarduk

In the US, Its Buc-ees. No question.

In Japan, the convenience store food was hyped so much that it felt like a letdown. The onigiri was really good but overall food wasn't much better than you would find in convenience stores in the US.

I do really want to try the Tears of the Kingdom Lawson's items.

Shh

7-Eleven, simply because in the highest heat of the summer, they always set their air conditioning to like -30 degrees. That and Slurpees.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I go into a 7-eleven on my own like once every 5 years if Im desperate for something or late night.

But, when I'd do business travel before covid, I'd stop off at the 7-eleven at the airport parking lot hub and get a few of their chicken skewers on my way home. They are awesome. I dont care how fake or battered they might be. They'd be like 2 for $5 in flavours like sweet chili thai or whatever. Surprisingly good at a decent price.

chicken-skewers.jpg

Pejo

iu

It honestly has better made-to-order food than any fast food restaurant, and 24/7 hours. Plus they have machines for all types of coffees, teas, drinks, and depending on state and location, sell booze.

Top Bottom