• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 FIFA World Cup |OT| Go big and get VAR'd!

dudeforce93

Neo Member
One penalty, one drop ball and one good free kick.
Messi miss a 1-1 with Neur, miss the last free kick in ET and miss a penalty shootout
I guess the difference between Messi, CR7 delivers while doing next to nothing.

Tomorrow is Messi turn to score hat-trick, these 2 old fucks finally bringing their club competition to their last WC.
Ronaldo got lucky because of a penalty and a blunder by the idiot De Gea, Messi had to single-handedly carry his team to the final.

Griss

One penalty, one drop ball and one good free kick.
Messi miss a 1-1 with Neur, miss the last free kick in ET and miss a penalty shootout
I guess the difference between Messi, CR7 delivers while doing next to nothing.

Tomorrow is Messi turn to score hat-trick, these 2 old fucks finally bringing their club competition to their last WC.

You must have been watching a different game. Ronaldo is often a goal-poacher these days, but he was incredible yesterday, in the first half particularly. Held the ball up, passed brilliantly, set up Guedes twice for good chances unselfishly - he was just unbelievable and it would have been a great performance whether he had scored or not. This was not last season's Real Madrid-style Ronaldo at all. I'm no Ronaldo fanboy, but he was on another level to everyone else yesterday.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
You must have been watching a different game. Ronaldo is often a goal-poacher these days, but he was incredible yesterday, in the first half particularly. Held the ball up, passed brilliantly, set up Guedes twice for good chances unselfishly - he was just unbelievable and it would have been a great performance whether he had scored or not. This was not last season's Real Madrid-style Ronaldo at all. I'm no Ronaldo fanboy, but he was on another level to everyone else yesterday.

I dont remember Ronaldo doing much. I missed the first 20 mins though. The first half i saw, he didnt even touched the ball. The 2nd half he moved in field move to receive the ball, but was not able to direct his team as Messi usually do. I dont think CR7 had a good performance besides taking his chances off set-pieces.
CR7 is definitely goal poaching now, while Messi is more a playmaker now. Both old fucks changing their game, but still scoring freely.

The man scores an hattrick against one of the best countries in the competition, enters a select group of (now) 4 players who managed to score goals in 4 different world cups, gave at least 2 goals for Guedes to score, but somehow it wasn't good enough. Guess it never will be 😉

Ilpalazzo

In a penalty the only one who can make a mistake is the shooter. The goalkeeper has nothing to lose and everything to do right.

kischine

Wow, Argentina tying with Iceland, a country with almost the same population as my town, and the first time they ever qualified. Also, what an awful game.
That's actually a relief for me, I'm from Brazil and Argentina is our biggest rival, so I'm fine with them not reaching quarter finals.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
3 or more years ago I would have been blown away by this result but I am not even that surprised today. Iceland have a good team and punch well above their weight.

longdi

Banned
argentina was shit, too much reliance on old guys like dimaria, higuian and messi. They will lose to nigeria and draw croatia.
messi looked so stressed the whole game and fluffed a goal winner. While CR7 was always relishing his chances against spain, look at his run up to that freekick.
Iceland while playing with great understanding and team structure, they had been lucky with shitty disjointed teams for past 4 years.
France did rekt their defense 5-2, Peru, Mexico rekt them too.

Makariel

Yay Iceland!

Argentina was playing... as I expected. They just about made it past qualifying thanks to Messi, without him they would be nowhere near the finals.

Anyone who has seen Iceland in the last Euro Championship knew they'd be a tough team to beat. Guess the Argentinian side didn't watch any.

longdi

Banned
Peru running around like headless chicken.
Nigeria is terribly overhyped.
Looks like Brazil is the only non-Euro team to challenge.
My prediction, France, Portugal, Germany and Spain semi finalists.

Makariel

Croatia was lucky, but their lead does not come from playing well. Nigeria hasn't really shown too much either today, but so far they seem to be the better team. Let's see what happens the second half.

That Nigerian player thought he was playing rugby perhaps? Glad that holding in the box is called.

This VAR shit is already demonstrating players have to play cleaner which is so far great for the sport.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
It's kinda crazy some of the top players Croatia has considering its population. On my count there's 2 on Real Madrid, 1 Barcelona, 1 Juventus, 1 Inter Milan(at least I believe that's where Persic plays)

Peru seemed better overall, but what counts is the ones inside the goal. Not sure if Denmark will beat Australia, from what we've seen today.

Still haven't seen Senegal, but i doubt we'll have Africa represented after the group stage.

Last edited:
It's kinda crazy some of the top players Croatia has considering its population. On my count there's 2 on Real Madrid, 1 Barcelona, 1 Juventus, 1 Inter Milan(at least I believe that's where Persic plays)

Yeah its nuts. They sure didn't look like they had top league quality players today though

Last edited:
Gotta say i dont love the var system. If the booth is telling the ref he needs to take another look at the footage, i feel like the ref feels influenced to reverse his call.

I also dont love how it slows down the game. I feel like it should really only be used when directly related to a goal. Or like make it similar to american football... the coaches get a few challenge calls, so if the coach disagrees with ref call, the ref can go review the play via video.

longdi

Banned
Yes the var prone to suspicion. France var penalty was 50-50 touch on any day and it was originally not called, but you can see var influence the ref. Elsewhere, Argentina had a legitimate var review where the foul was more 70-30 contact in their favour, but no review was done.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

I just looked back at the thread. People downplaying Ronaldo? He created that penalty, second goal was shitty by De Gea (where's Casillas?), and an INCREDIBLE free kick. So damn perfect.

How can people complain? And it was against Spain.

God Enel

Ronaldo gets so much shit but he's one of the goats. He's consistently scoring for like a decade. Guy is a machine.

Makariel

I guess a lot of the hate against CR comes from his perceived character acting like a diva and behavior as seen in the media, and not his performance on the field. I'm looking forward to more from Portugal this tournament.

longdi

Banned
I think Sweden has a chance against germany, so much over confidence.
If germany finish 2nd, they will go up against brasil!

Alx

For those of us who first, call this sport soccer, and secondly, only pay attention to it during the World Cup, what was historical about Mexico beating Germany?

Thanks.

It's the first time Mexico has ever beaten Germany in football history.

Makariel

It's the first time Mexico has ever beaten Germany in football history.
Not entirely true but close enough. At least they never managed to beat them when it counted.

Well done Mexico, well deserved win today. Germany had no answers and ran completely out of ideas in the second half. Instead they were getting more and more physical, trying to punch their way through lol but Mexico prevailed.

caramac

YRNaywr.gif

kischine

That was horrifying, the worst result on the first match of WC since 78, it's a fucking joke that the 7x1 Brazil could be better. Brazil couldn't afford to draw a match like this if it wants to even reach quarter finals. The dream is fucking dead.
Good match to Switzerland, they did exactly what they should do in the second half. Brasil dominated the first half just to give me this false sense of security, I'm so fucking pissed.

These fucking brazilian crybabys trying to blame the referee only watch football on the world cup and have no clue what they're talking about. Brasil just could not play like this, the score doesn't fucking matter, the fact that you would think to depend on the good will of a referee is a joke. This result on this weak ass group has only one advantage, if we get second on the group stage we dodge Germany to last longer and avoid disgrace.

Last edited:

kischine

In a world cup this is the first time an american( by "american" I always mean the continent not the country USA) team beat germany.
correct me but I dont recall any other american team beating them in a world cup.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_FIFA_World_Cup_Final
What? No, they're not unbeatable.
It's just that Germany was the last champion and an obvious favorite and Mexico wasn't even between the top 5 favorite teams, but that match was also really good.

WaterAstro

In a world cup this is the first time an american( by "american" I always mean the continent not the country USA) team beat germany.
correct me but I dont recall any other american team beating them in a world cup.

anyway beating germany is always a great achivement.
you can eventually beat brazil,italy,france,holland,spain,england...it could happens.
But the way the germans think of themselves expecially if you read their newspapers before a football match makes them so satisfying to beat. :)
They are a tough team to beat,maximum respect, respect to their people too, but some of them expecially journalist each time makes them appear arrogant and stupid.
So when they got defeated is always nice ;)

here the racist title they made for mexico:

Df47KFNWsAAsH0U.jpg

I think also mexico is finally got a beautiful football system, both to watch and but finally getting some constant results.

Must be a Trump branded wall lol.

anyway beating germany is always a great achivement.
you can eventually beat brazil,italy,france,holland,spain,england...it could happens.
But the way the germans think of themselves expecially if you read their newspapers before a football match makes them so satisfying to beat. :)
They are a tough team to beat,maximum respect, respect to their people too, but some of them expecially journalist each time makes them appear arrogant and stupid.
So when they got defeated is always nice ;)

here the racist title they made for mexico:

Df47KFNWsAAsH0U.jpg

I think also mexico is finally got a beautiful football system, both to watch and but finally getting some constant results.

Man that's jacked up!

Makariel

Today Mexico built the wall and made Germany pay for it :p
As kischine kischine pointed out already, this is simply not true. The German national football team is not the unbeatable juggernaut you make it sound. In fact, it lost two out of the last three friendlies prior to the world cup, one against Brazil and one against Austria. Losing against Brazil, there is no shame in that, but Austria? They are hardly a football giant. And especially against Brazil they have a hard time, in 23 matches played there are 5 won, 5 draw but 13 losses. They are also having hard time against Argentina more often than not. Even team USA beat them 4 times out of 11 games.

Top Bottom