• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 FIFA World Cup |OT| Go big and get VAR'd!

longdi

Banned
Lucky for Germany and Brazil, their next 2 games are lighter weights. Messi is going out against Croatia and Nigeria, every time Argentina is under attack, it looks like they will concede, their 3 attackers also don't track back to help out.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That was horrifying, the worst result on the first match of WC since 78, it's a fucking joke that the 7x1 Brazil could be better. Brazil couldn't afford to draw a match like this if it wants to even reach quarter finals. The dream is fucking dead.
Good match to Switzerland, they did exactly what they should do in the second half. Brasil dominated the first half just to give me this false sense of security, I'm so fucking pissed.

These fucking brazilian crybabys trying to blame the referee only watch football on the world cup and have no clue what they're talking about. Brasil just could not play like this, the score doesn't fucking matter, the fact that you would think to depend on the good will of a referee is a joke. This result on this weak ass group has only one advantage, if we get second on the group stage we dodge Germany to last longer and avoid disgrace.
To think Mexico is playing better than Brazil...

Makariel

So Mexico is the second american team to beat them in history, and first centre-north team to beat them in a tournament.
Again not true: Argentina beat Germany 3:2 during the 1986 world cup. That makes Mexico the 3rd Amercian team to beat Germany during a FIFA world cup. You should also note that a number of American teams hardly ever played against Germany.

llien

Germany not only is the defending WC, but it was very dominant during qualifier phase.

This kind of defeat against Mexico is very disappointing.

Snoopycat

Banned
Man I can't wait to see Lineker's face tonight. Will he pull the disapointed dad look or the constipated cow look. Maybe we get lucky and he'll do both

kischine

To think Mexico is playing better than Brazil...
To be fair Brazil dominated the first half, and Colombia, Mexico, Chile and Uruguay were always really strong in football.
In my perspective, if Mexico keeps the level of what they played against Germany, they will end up waaaaay better than Argentina and Portugal.

On todays game, Sweden vs KPOP band, that korean goalkeeper Cho was really good, best player of the match (although a fairly weak match). Unfortunately there was a completely unnecessary penalty, what the hell was that

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
So glad we took 3 points but daaaaym was it a boring game. I almost fell asleep. Sweden fumbling with the ball on like every occasion, missing some clear-cut chances (Markus Berg should have gotten a red card for striking out like that). And the koreans were even worse. They hardly put up a fight. It´s gonna be a bumpy ride on Saturday against Zee Germans. They will not fuck around after the fiasco against Mexico.

Makariel

To my surprise England won its first game and didn't get an own goal in the 92nd minute, or have a keeper with vaseline on the gloves.

brit-fail.gif

Germany not only is the defending WC, but it was very dominant during qualifier phase.

This kind of defeat against Mexico is very disappointing.
As a mexican, I am happy with Mexico's victory but at the same time I am a little scared that Mexico would start acting in a complacent way. It's the first game and they're already acting like they have made it to the finals.

llien

To my surprise England won its first game and didn't get an own goal in the 92nd minute, or have a keeper with vaseline on the gloves.

brit-fail.gif

England is "known" for poor goalkeepers. It's funny that this kind of shit happens even when German coach recruites German guy for an English club.

Last edited:

kischine

Hahaha what the fuck. What a weird, fun and historic game. I started watching 20 minutes in and literally screamed at the TV "WHAT THE FUCK" when I saw Japan 1x0 Colombia. First time an asian team wins against a South American team in history, and also the earliest red card ever. I don't even blame the guy who blocked with his arm, that was pure desperation.
But yeah, didn't expect at all Japan to actually utilize the advantage but they did very well! I don't feel sorry for Colombia cause half the blame from the 7x1 was theirs, karma is a bitch.

Last edited:

Makariel

How did that even...? I couldn't see the match (at work) but this is definitely turning out to be a world cup that defies my expectations :)

God Enel

Good that russia is winning. Keeps the world cup interesting for the russians. Nice that they are most probably going to the next round. :)

dolabla

For sure. I'm pulling for them. I usually pull for Germany after the US, but since the US :poop:..................

Some cute Russian girls in that crowd (y)

Russian WC team was despised even by Russian fans. It is deemed very mediocre by European standards. This may have changed by now thanks to their wins. They were never expected to get very far in the WC. That they are now looking at top 16 placement is a big surprise.

Don Cossacks were sent on personal visits to thousands of homes of known hooligans, in and around Moscow region and in the south-west weeks prior to the WC. None of them have shown up to poop up games thus far. I'm sure they were made offers they couldn't refuse. Putin promised on national television that he would ensure an incident free world cup. Whoever makes him a liar will regret it beyond regret itself.

Russia has already won the biggest victory; getting to host the world cup. 1.5 million tourists from over 30 countries have flown into Russia for the WC and it's nothing like what the western media has portrayed it to be (I've been there myself). Good publicity is best publicity.

Last edited:
Man, Morocco really deserved at least a point from the contest with Portugal. And you could make the case they deserved 6 points from the first 2 group matches, but instead they're going out. Such is the game of football.

I always pull for Sweden. (I consider it my home away from home, having lived there for a few years.) However, we'll likely get liquefied by an angry German side that needs points. Sweden will have to get 3 vs Mexico, and I think they can, despite how well Mexico played against Germany. I really think Sweden currently is an example of a squad that is better without their superstar (Zlatan). They're playing like a team much more so than they did with Ibra around, and have been since he left imo.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Australia with a draw!!

I have never seen a team that works so hard and consistently achieve absolutely nothing. It's like watching someone ride a bike down a slight slope and staying in 1st gear, pedalling like a mad man but going fucking nowhere fast.

The team look dangerous when they push forward, Leckie looks great when he runs at defenders, Anzari giving you a bit of hope that any time he gets the ball something could happen because he wants to drive forward...….yet for some reason the guys put on a quick burst then stop, slow the play and push it to the backline again.

The most frustrating team to watch. Like literally anger inducing. Moments of brilliance but as always, we decide to stop and slow the play when we're all over it.
Again, Australia just completely unable to score outside of been given a penalty.
At least we have the Matildas, because honestly this pack of assholes do my head in, outside of Anzari not one of them has a killer instinct to put their head down and just go for it.....

longdi

Banned
Saw the leaks that 'certain' senior players were unhappy with sampaoli selecting too many non EU players, no wonder argies had no interplay between EU and nonEu players in the 2 games.
They are finished mentally, going to bet on a Nigeria win.

Cr7 has ended up being the goat for me. Dude is ending his career in the same fiery mentally. Messi is a pissi.

WaterAstro

Saw the leaks that 'certain' senior players were unhappy with sampaoli selecting too many non EU players, no wonder argies had no interplay between EU and nonEu players in the 2 games.
They are finished mentally, going to bet on a Nigeria win.

Cr7 has ended up being the goat for me. Dude is ending his career in the same fiery mentally. Messi is a pissi.
Didn't he play FUT? Chemistry is key. lol

kischine

Holy fuck... We needed this victory but, I don't know, this was supposed to be an easy game.

Can't keep going like this or I'm gonna have a heart attack.

833804f8b0.gif

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Holy fuck... We needed this victory but, I don't know, this was supposed to be an easy game.

Can't keep going like this or I'm gonna have a heart attack.

833804f8b0.gif
Junta esse, canárinho pistola e Coutinho, é hexa!

Last edited:
Really didn't like Neymar crying his eyes out though. You should never trust a man who cries, especially if it happens after a group stage game against Costa Rica.

God Enel

I'm sorry for Messi even though I'm a Ronaldo "fan" i think he will get a lot of Shit in Argentina.

Is it possible to upload videos and images directly from phone? Could post some impressions of the stadium and stuff.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Mexico destroying South Korea wow.

Maybe they will also beat Sweden.

Sweden deserved some calls in their favor, they have the lead now instead.

Gomez enters for Germany but I don't think it will be enough. Defensive effort is lacking, Sweden is going to capitalize on counter attack again most likely.

Champions curse is real

Top Bottom