• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 FIFA World Cup |OT| Go big and get VAR'd!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That was still close. I expected a massacre.

Not a good day for underdogs today.

Last edited by a moderator:

kischine

Ok, now this is real life. But still a good sign for Brazil, if Japan can score 2 x 0 for 70 minutes, then it can't be too hard for Brazil to win next game.

Atrus

Gold Member
Japan bows out with honor for providing one of the best 2nd halfs this World Cup yet. Beautiful goals all the way. Just needed to keep it together for the final minute because I actually did want to see what another 30 mins would offer.

Belgium really needs to adjust to survive Brazil next.

Ok, now this is real life. But still a good sign for Brazil, if Japan can score 2 x 0 for 70 minutes, then it can't be too hard for Brazil to win next game.

Yeah, but I have to believe their coach won't repeat this team against us. If he does, he deserves the maximum assfuck his team will receive.

Azurro

Banned
I only watched the last 25 minutes of the Belgium vs Japan game, but that was incredible, I was resigned for another match to go to PKs.

About Mexico, it just pisses me off that the team died from nothing. There was no great onslaught at the end to try to equalise, I'd be surprised if we even had a single shot on target this evening, and all we did when we were supposed to be looking for the equalizer was timid passes that had no bite, the whole team just moved slow.

I had very low expectations and about the most pessimistic supporter and even then I'm disappointed. At least Argentina went out with huevos, we didn't do shit. :/

longdi

Banned
I say if the Japanese were 3 inch taller across the team, they would have beaten Belgium. Good showing from Asian teams SA,SK,Jap, they can pass the ball well, just lacking physique and the final touch when presented with goal chances.

Australia on other hand, that fake Asian team, was shit.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They could always fuck up

Remember 4 years ago?

Mohonky

I say if the Japanese were 3 inch taller across the team, they would have beaten Belgium. Good showing from Asian teams SA,SK,Jap, they can pass the ball well, just lacking physique and the final touch when presented with goal chances.

Australia on other hand, that fake Asian team, was shit.

Yeh Japan are very technically astute, was a great game to watch, but they will always be weak in the air and struggle with physical oppnents, but it's always possible.

Belgiums first goal was just a freak accident, had they not scored that it could have been very different.

And yes we (Australia) just plain sucked. I dont get their game plan, there is no urgency to ever attack. I have never seen a team that can go on a burst of a counter attack and then hold the ball up and then proceed to play it backward to the goal keeper. The most amazingly frustrating team to watch and / or support. Its like the guys have some massive aversion to the opponents 18yr box.

I was watching our last few qualified games and of the opinion we weren't a team that even deserved to go.

Inuteu

I think Brazil Vs Belgium will be closer than most think

wouldnt be surprise if they go to extra time

swedish-flag-waving-gif-animation-5.gif

Atrus

Gold Member
Akanji is probably going to be looking for Swedish citizenship soon, if only to save himself from his keepers wrath.

Atrus

Gold Member
Special shout out to the gust of wind that managed to toss Colombian players all over the field this match.

Seriously hard to watch after yesterday’s Japan/Belgium match.

Congratulations to England.

Referee still man of match for handling first half as he did. Columbia almost needs to start with yellow cards so they actually play football and not rugby. As soon as they got all those cards suddenly the game focus and pace changed to playing the game 😎

Last edited:

John Day

If Colombia had won, it would have been funny to see the roster on screen with half of them with yellow cards lol. This game started intense jesus.

Game after that was dull, but got really exciting at that last minute goal. Awesome game.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Sweden vs England is going to be a riot. It´s always entertaining to see Sweden play against the Three Lions. It´s also interesting to see all these "professional" brits mocking Sweden in the press. Pat Nevin, a former Chelsea-player, said in a interview that England doesn´t have to be worried one bit about advancing from the quarter finals. According to him, England wins against Sweden in 99 of 100 games. That´s why in the past 14 games between these two teams, Sweden have won 4 games, tied 7 and lost 3.

demigod

Sweden players fall down everytime a Switzerland player looks at them. I wish the refs would hand out red cards.

McCheese

Columbia messing up the penalty spot was a disgrace, their fans should be ashamed of how their team conducted themselves.

So happy England won it, I don't think we played that great, Columbia had all the momentum in the second half. But they didn't deserve to win, and thankfully they didn't.

What a gut-wrenching game.

England really need to pick up their game if they want to get further than the semis.....

So you're already booking them past Sweden. I wouldn't be so confident. In fact, I really hope England are brimming with confidence after exorcising their penalty demons. Sweden have a pretty nice History with England. It's going to be a tough match.

longdi

Banned
England got smart/lucky with that draw bracket. I could see them be the Portugal, relying on kane goals and opponents fucking up. Croatia can lose to Russia on PK. Nothing stopping the UKers to reach the finals. Aka world cup winners mean shit, luck counts alot.

Kane golden boot winner already. Thanks Panama and Tunisia

Inuteu

So you're already booking them past Sweden. I wouldn't be so confident. In fact, I really hope England are brimming with confidence after exorcising their penalty demons. Sweden have a pretty nice History with England. It's going to be a tough match.

I think we will see another penalty shootout against Sweden

so England better bring holy water to face its demons again

Nicktendo86

Sweden vs England is going to be a riot. It´s always entertaining to see Sweden play against the Three Lions. It´s also interesting to see all these "professional" brits mocking Sweden in the press. Pat Nevin, a former Chelsea-player, said in a interview that England doesn´t have to be worried one bit about advancing from the quarter finals. According to him, England wins against Sweden in 99 of 100 games. That´s why in the past 14 games between these two teams, Sweden have won 4 games, tied 7 and lost 3.
There is a reason jokers like him are former things and not current, Southgate was very careful to caution and said we have a bad record against Sweden. They won't take this game for granted at all.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I never actually thought about it until now, but there is a small chance that it could be Brazil vs Sweden in the finals. That would mark a 60-year anniversary since the two teams squared off against each other in the World Cup Finals in 1958. Brazil won that time with 5-2. If the planets and stars are aligned and God is real, then maybe, just maybe, we could get a rematch. That would be like the biggest sport sensation ever in Sweden if that were to happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom