• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 FIFA World Cup |OT| Go big and get VAR'd!

God Enel

I think the final will be France vs. Croatia.

I hope so!

After our (Croatian) last game I'm not sure, though I think we have good chances against Russia. Denmark has had a defensive basic order (is that the proper English term?) and they've waited for counter attacks. And imo Croatia struggled with that a lot.

On the other hand you cannot trust Davai davai Russia. They kicked Spain out of the World Cup, what no one would have imagined, though it was a penalty shootout, plus they have the home-turf advantage so yeah I'm excited.

If we drop out of WC it would've been a not-so-bad-run for us. We're a small country and what the team has achieved is a lot already. It was already enough after beating Argentina 3-0. :))

But if the train keeps going yeah I'm all aboard 😄

We'll see. When do the quarter finals start?

Boss Mog

I hope so!

After our (Croatian) last game I'm not sure, though I think we have good chances against Russia. Denmark has had a defensive basic order (is that the proper English term?) and they've waited for counter attacks. And imo Croatia struggled with that a lot.

On the other hand you cannot trust Davai davai Russia. They kicked Spain out of the World Cup, what no one would have imagined, though it was a penalty shootout, plus they have the home-turf advantage so yeah I'm excited.

If we drop out of WC it would've been a not-so-bad-run for us. We're a small country and what the team has achieved is a lot already. It was already enough after beating Argentina 3-0. :))

But if the train keeps going yeah I'm all aboard 😄

We'll see. When do the quarter finals start?
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about the Denmark match, France struggled against them too because it's hard to play when one team decides to park the bus. Quarters are Friday and Saturday.

Last edited:
I never actually thought about it until now, but there is a small chance that it could be Brazil vs Sweden in the finals. That would mark a 60-year anniversary since the two teams squared off against each other in the World Cup Finals in 1958. Brazil won that time with 5-2. If the planets and stars are aligned and God is real, then maybe, just maybe, we could get a rematch. That would be like the biggest sport sensation ever in Sweden if that were to happen.

I have a feeling that Z-God somehow would say he was in part responsible for that ;)

Boss Mog

I just found out FIFA appointed an Argentine referee for France - Uruguay. Like WTF are they thinking? France just knocked out Argentina and they're playing another South American country. This is some serious bullshit.

I just found out FIFA appointed an Argentine referee for France - Uruguay. Like WTF are they thinking? France just knocked out Argentina and they're playing another South American country. This is some serious bullshit.

FIFA gonna FIFA. They are frequently corrupt and/or clueless. No surprises by their chicanery.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I have a feeling that Z-God somehow would say he was in part responsible for that

I wouldn´t be surprised if he did. But that´s just Zlatan being Zlatan I guess. He has always been like this to some degree, for better or worse. But one thing I am 100% sure about, considering his inflated ego, is that he is right now extremely mopey that this squad advanced to the quarter finals in a World Cup, something they never did when he was a part of the team.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
My bets:

Uruguay - France 2-2 (Uruguay wins on penalties)
Brazil - Belgium 3 - 1
Sweden - England 2 - 1
Russia - Croatia 1-2

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
It was too bad that Colombia lost to England, but that was a very good (if very rough) match. And it's nice that they were able to make it that far.

Fortunately, as a Minnesota Vikings fan, I have long since made my peace with never winning any championships, so I can just enjoy the ride. Go Isotopes!

Boss Mog

France 3 - 2 Uruguay
Brazil 1 - 3 Belgium
Sweden 0 - 1 (AET) England
Croatia 3 - 0 Russia

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Tomorrow’s matches are going to be unpredictable and epic. All strong teams attempting to murder each other to advance.

I’m guessing we’ll get a France vs Brazil game but I’m more than happy to be surprised.

longdi

Banned
Yeah, the fact that the Qatar World Cup is actually happening tells you everything you need to know about FIFA.
I hate the 3 teams group and then another extra ko round.

Present group games have their charm, present round of 16 have its charm.

I am ok with more participants, but the future group and ko setup is half assed, too little group games, too many ko games.

My prediction is 0-0 for every game, and last PK wins every game.

Ugh, I sure hope not, but as things get tight later in the tournament, we tend to see this sort of thing more often, it seems. Nobody wants to make a mistake and teams often play too conservatively. It's understandable, but not enjoyable.

Atrus

Gold Member
Mbappe working hard to get that perfect cross to nobody is disappointing.

Uruguay definitely wants to win this more, working both ends of the field aggressively.

longdi

Banned
Give france the cup already, solid defense and counting on quality finishes.
Mbappe, what a cunt, 19 years arrogant as fuck, diving antics.
Messi was way more classy, i remember him fighting off Chelsea challenges.
Even Ronaldo wasn't as cunty at 19.
I hope he gets a second yellow.

Last edited:
Yeah, they have been quite good this game. The whole tournament actually. I though Uruguay would put up a fight, but they seem lost. And what the fuck is Mbappe doing? Fucking clown shoe.
Yes they are playing well, but more importantly, Uruguay is playing like shit. They're completely lost. No Cavani really hurt them.

Atrus

Gold Member
I wouldn’t say Uruguay is playing like shit. They’re strong but definitely missing Cavani in their offence.

They gave France a couple close scares.

Time is running out for Uruguay though, it’s all or nothing time.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Well, my 2 -2 score seems to go down the shitter. Time to prepare for Brazil - Belgium. That one will be dynamite.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
What a goal. I salute Belgium, they play like their feets been blessed by God. And my bet just went to shit again, lol. I'm horrible at this.

Boss Mog

I don't get how all you guys saw Brazil winning this match. Belgium's team is made up entirely of world class players that play in the biggest clubs. Brazil on the other hand only has 4 or 5 world class players. Brazil hasn't been impressive for many years, they can do well against smaller teams but when they play big European teams they fail miserably because defensively they're not up to snuff.

MDSLKTR

Well looks like Brazil is done. Now they have to rely on miracles.
Activate force fields

neymar-dive-uru.gif

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get how all you guys saw Brazil winning this match. Belgium's team is made up entirely of world class players that play in the biggest clubs. Brazil on the other hand only has 4 or 5 world class players. Brazil hasn't been impressive for many years, they can do well against smaller teams but when they play big European teams they fail miserably because defensively they're not up to snuff.
All of you guys?

hmmmm no

Atrus

Gold Member
Lukaku is brilliant, his situational awareness is creating the opportunities within Brazil’s defence to exploit.

Belgium giving us great matches that don’t disappoint. Seriously, can’t look away for a minute.

Courtois putting in his due as well.

MayauMiao

I don't recall saying Brazil will win this match, let alone a chance in the finals.

kischine

I simply cannot understand a coach's stubbornness. You start a player who did nothing in 4 games, and you keep this blind faith in the fucking World Cup. And now you have Japan playing better than Brazil in the quarter finals, congratulations.

Please get me out of this country.

Top Bottom