• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 gaming hot takes

- Horizon Forbidden West was underwhelming compared to the first

- Sifu was a solid game but still kind of overrated. It isn't as good as the hype would suggest it is. It is still leagues below character action games like DMC and Bayonetta.

- Shadow Warrior 3 was a great game and is arguably the best thing for modern DOOM fans to play whilst waiting for the next game

- DnF Duel was fucking awesome and isn't as unbalanced as everyone says it is with a few exceptions(notably Swift Master and Striker).

- 2022 was a decent year for gaming. There doesn't need to be a constant stream of corporate AAA games for a good year of gaming.

What are your hot takes for gaming in 2022?

Last edited:

Certinty

God of War Ragnarok is incredibly boring.

I’m like 12 hours in and it feels like a chore to play. Currently am forcing myself to continue with it as apparently it “gets good” at some point.

This is also coming from someone who enjoyed and platinumed the previous game too.

sainraja

I’m like 12 hours in and it feels like a chore to play. Currently am forcing myself to continue with it as apparently it “gets good” at some point.

This is also coming from someone who enjoyed and platinumed the previous game too.
If you are not enjoying it right now, you won't enjoy it later. I am a bit surprised to see that you enjoyed the first then...perhaps it felt fresh before and now it probably feels more of the same to you. I am loving it though! But, at the end of the day, it is just a game, if you are not having fun, it is OKAY to just put it down or move to something you will enjoy.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
2022 was a trash year for games. Easily one of the worst that I can remember, and I've been gaming since the late 80s. Maybe it was because I took a heavy break from gaming and I'm missing out (I still don't play no where near as much as I used to), but there were only a handful of games to peak my interest and really get my member throbbing this year.

I'm hoping 2023 is a vintage year for gaming, because 2022 was a year to forget.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
- I’d rather argue about games on GAF than play my Switch

On a side note I really gotta check out this Marvel Snap. I haven’t followed it, but I’ve only seen praise for it.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Most people neglected the best game of this year.

SoftWelltodoBillygoat-max-1mb.gif

Punished Miku

Gold Member

I dropped it. Too much stuff to play Im enjoying significantly more. It has some cool elements at times though so maybe I will get back to it someday. Kind of similar to when I played Horizon 1 but I made it maybe 25 hours in that one.

PS5/ XSX games will come back to 30 fps only.

They will not.

They won't, but we're going to see a lot of 1080p/60fps type options for Performance Mode in the future rather than higher resolutions like we have now. Games in 2023 and beyond are going to push the hardware harder and harder and something's gotta give.

My take is that there are more cool games than ever, but almost none of them come from AAA devs since those have no passion or the will to make crazy and inventive things.

Or maybe they do, but the dudes in suits don't let them.
Exactly, it's a good thing that we're seeing more games from smaller studios this year than just lots of generic soulless AAA games mainly.

Last edited:

tommib

My take is that there are more cool games than ever, but almost none of them come from AAA devs since those have no passion or the will to make crazy and inventive things.

Or maybe they do, but the dudes in suits don't let them.
Totally this. The major characters on the forum crying about 2022 being the worst year in gaming are the biggest AAA graphic whores and basically don’t care about gameplay or ideas or anything remotely interesting that doesn’t look like it cost 300 million dollars.

Amazing year for games.

My hot take? If you subscribed to Gamepass you played most of the best games of the year on release day.

Last edited:
They won't, but we're going to see a lot of 1080p/60fps type options for Performance Mode in the future rather than higher resolutions like we have now. Games in 2023 and beyond are going to push the hardware harder and harder and something's gotta give.
Well that's fair but my take is that on the horizon, I don't see any incoming games that are graphically superior than Forbidden West or more complex on scales then Cyberpunk, so I wouldn't claim so soon it is the consoles' horsepower that holds back the performance.

Well that's fair but my take is that on the horizon, I don't see any incoming games that are graphically superior than Forbidden West or more complex on scales then Cyberpunk, so I wouldn't claim so soon it is the consoles' horsepower that holds back the performance.

That's fair! Will be interesting to see what titles like Spider-Man 2, Hellblade II, etc.. look like this year though.

Del_X

Cyberpunk 2077 is the 2022 GOTY
The Game Awards was a mid-tier snorefest without MSFT or Sony 1st party heavy hitters. Nothing AAA beyond FFXVI
Sony's studios are running on creative fumes

Last edited:

I'm 30 hours in. It does not. Been trying to push through just to see how the story ends but then Dragon Quest came out and honestly having much more fun with that.

I have played, finished, and enjoyed all the previous games as well (2018 was my runner-up GOTY).

Indies massively outdid AAA games this year

Take off the ip and make it into generic characters GOW ragnarok gets an 85 at best

Stray isn't that good of a game

Vampire survivor will have more of a long term impact than Elden Ring on game design

Starfield should have released in early access

Raven117

Not a hot take at all. Felt the same way.

For a game about the end of the world kind of war, it felt remarkably low stakes....and a slog most of the time.

amigastar

Terror from the Void mod for Phoenix Point was awesome and it turned out Phoenix Point is also awesome. Julian Gollop didn't disappoint.
I realized that Turn Based games like XCom and Civ are my favorite genre.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Despite Ragnarok and Elden Ring, between 2 Pokémon games, Bayonetta 3, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Kirby and Mario + Rabbids 2, Nintendo quietly "won" the year.

Cyberpunkd

Everything was done before and every year there is less and less things to play that really offer novel experience and not simply a means to kill time.

Raonak

Banned
GOW:R's side content is just as good, if not better than the main game. A lot of bosses and set pieces that could've been included in the main story.
It elevates it to being sony's best first party game.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Well, not sure any of these are that hot but here I'll go:

God of War Ragnarok is an 8/10 at best

Lego Star Wars was dreadful

GT7 was awesome but its graphics were kind of meh

Horizon was actually really good though most seem to disagree

Pokémon was amazeballs 😍

April to September was literally the worst spell for new releases ever

fart town usa

Gold Member
It was a decent 7/10 game imo. I just wish the magic combat was more complex or there were more elements to use.
Respectfully disagree.

The game is pure old-school arcade style action and platforming, the combat seems shallow until you really start experimenting with it and start to straight bring the ruckus. Constant retreat and pew pew pew is boring, pushing forward and effectively using the limited mechanics at your disposal is great. I understand that not everyone will enjoy it. It's the only game I ever platinumed and one of the few games I raised the difficulty on because I became so attuned to it, it was just beast mode all day, lol.

I think a lot of people wanted it to be something it isn't and just plowed through it while firing forward/retreating.

Top Bottom