• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 gaming hot takes

Mr Hyde

Elden Ring looks like a PS3 game.

(I think it looks beautiful but I've seen some people peddle that take around here).

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Most of the people claiming Callisto Protocol is a bad game probably suck at playing it

I'm not saying the game is perfect but it is really really good

Respectfully disagree.

The game is pure old-school arcade style action and platforming, the combat seems shallow until you really start experimenting with it and start to straight bring the ruckus. Constant retreat and pew pew pew is boring, pushing forward and effectively using the limited mechanics at your disposal is great. I understand that not everyone will enjoy it. It's the only game I ever platinumed and one of the few games I raised the difficulty on because I became so attuned to it, it was just beast mode all day, lol.

I think a lot of people wanted it to be something it isn't and just plowed through it while firing forward/retreating.
inFAMOUS has the same type of combat but far more options. I said I like it and the combat is fun but could do with more powers. Using the same 3 elemental blasts over and over gets repetitive. I really like the wire executions though, they nailed how to make a satisfying finisher move, feels soooo good ripping out enemy cores with the wires.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

GoW Ragnarock is beautiful but not breaking any new ground. Just a solid adventure.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
inFAMOUS has the same type of combat but far more options. I said I like it and the combat is fun but could do with more powers. Using the same 3 elemental blasts over and over gets repetitive. I really like the wire executions though, they nailed how to make a satisfying finisher move, feels soooo good ripping out enemy cores with the wires.
Nah for sure, I wasn't trying to have a tit for tat. Just one of those games that really nailed it for me and I can't help but think a good chunk of gamers just approached it all wrong. Not saying you did, I just feel like it got an unfair shake cause it truly wasn't what people expected or wanted it to be, that much is 100% clear.

I can definitely see the inFamous similarities, especially with hovering. I liked inFamous except for the story and enemies with fence shields, I just remember being so frustrated by the combat after a certain point. Traversal and hovering were great though.

Carpe Noctem

Neo Member
Not 2022 related but here it goes.

Overwatch is overrated. People grouped up in safe positions, constantly getting healed, and you can't do much about it due to them being all grouped up and flanking routes they can easily see coming. Game relies too much on ultimates to get stuff done. 90% of the maps are just chokepoint-based gameplay. The gameplay gets stale fast.

Dead or Alive has the best-feeling combat for fighting games. Soulcalibur is the 2nd or tied for 1st (depends on the game). Those 2 are one the few fighting games that don't feel like it's about memorizing stuff.

Mass Effect: Andromeda wasn't that bad. Dragon Age: Inquisition was worse because it felt like a single-player MMO with those fetch quests. Andromeda had fetch quests but they felt less relevant to finishing the main story than Inquisition.

Dishonored 2 was better than 1 but it lost the good atmosphere the 1st game had. So it feels less impressive. Also the series in general has had weak story but strong gameplay. They need to step up the writing.

Divinity Original Sin 2 really needs quests markers. It was such a pain to just wander aimlessly or look up a guide.

Pillars of Eternity 1 had way too much reading.

Resident Evil Village is just the less interesting version of Resident Evil 4. I'd rather just wait for the remake to drop than play both and have RE4 feel less fresh.

Last edited:

AndrewRyan

2022 is the year of the Steam Deck. Playing so many games from 2009-2019 really crystalized my thinking that non-steam games are sort of like long-term rentals.

God of War Ragnarok is incredibly boring.

I’m like 12 hours in and it feels like a chore to play. Currently am forcing myself to continue with it as apparently it “gets good” at some point.

This is also coming from someone who enjoyed and platinumed the previous game too.
It’s too close to the Last game. The combat feels old to me in my opinion. Graphics are great.

brian0057

Banned
Signalis and Tunic are the best games this year.

PXyU9Oa.jpg

Last edited:

Neolombax

- HFW was incredibly beautiful as it is boring. Aloy was annoying, and I have come to hate her as a character. I want the franchise to end.
- Guardians of the Galaxy is an incredibly mediocre game, and the characters are barely incentivizing me to finish the game. I was quite disappointed having heard such raving reviews from fellow Gaffers.
- EDF Iron Rain is an amazing palette cleanser game.
- Cannot understand why Vampire Survivors is highly regarded.
- Stray kinda sucks.
- Gotham Knights is not a horrible game.
- Tiny Tina's Wonderland is one of the better Borderlands games and I wouldn't mind if they continued the series. (unfortunately the DLC does this game a disservice). I think its better than BL2.

343's lack of vision from Halo 5 firefight to Infinite missing crucial campaign and PvE content, at launch and first year sustain, is the major contributing reason for not having sustained numbers and MTX beyond Infinite as it stands today. PvP performance good or bad doesn't equate to the 50% of the audience just sitting there crying out for campaign, story, PvE content such as RAIDs, strikes, loot etc.

It's going to be years before we see meaningful campaign or PvE content for Halo. Fuck.

Horizon Forbidden West is great.
God of War Ragnarok is fantastic.
Elden Ring is one of the best games ever made.

Looking at all the negativity toward games here, these seem like hot takes.

Top Bottom