• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2023 is the biggest year for a PlayStation home console in Japan since the PlayStation 2 back in 2005

Dick Jones

Gold Member
2005 was the dark year of Japanese gaming.
Your comment reminds me of this ad.

INRVUrA.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I thought the narrative was they don't like large consoles cause small apartments. Although this news would certainly crush that with the size of PS5.

I never understood that anyway. A console, even a large one like the PS5, isn't actually a large object. Unless you live in a literal closet, you can fit a console somewhere.

(I guess if you don't have space for a TV there's really no point though, but then the size of the console still isn't the issue.)

NickFire

I never understood that anyway. A console, even a large one like the PS5, isn't actually a large object. Unless you live in a literal closet, you can fit a console somewhere.

(I guess if you don't have space for a TV there's really no point though, but then the size of the console still isn't the issue.)
It never made sense to me either. I'm guessing it was the alpha-phase of recruiting evangelicals.

Crayon

I thought the narrative was they don't like large consoles cause small apartments. Although this news would certainly crush that with the size of PS5.

Yeah like they can't fit a TV in their phone booth apartment so they need a switch.

This is a wive's tale. You will find many itty bitty spaces in Tokyo but get out of there and living/commercial spaces have plenty of room. That aside, I did have a hotel room in Tokyo that was so small I had to throw a chair up on the bed so that I could move about and even that had plenty of room for a 5 inch wide PS5. Meanwhile the same money in Osaka (not exactly a quaint little town) gets you a big ass room.

And they haven't even released a lot of big games yet. Imagine when they start hitting.

This is actually what's a bit worrying, because they have been releasing some of those games by now. Final Fantasy XVI and Armored Core 6 were probably two of the biggest releases for the Japanese market so far, but they don't seem to have the long-term tail in sales for Japan the way a lot of Nintendo's games do.

Which I guess points to another issue: the only games that are constant big performers with long legs in Japan are Nintendo's own tentpole IPs. Even quite a few 3P releases on Switch don't move massive numbers in Japan, despite the install base size. And, PS5 is a much more digital-oriented platform than the Switch, that's true.

Without much in the way of digital sales data though, we only have the physical charts to go by and the biggest releases do physical numbers that would look modest or even low-performing if they were on the Switch, in terms of being compared to the big releases from Nintendo on that system in Japan. Hopefully the digital is making up the difference on PS5 in that region, or maybe people are really just using it as a F2P system for Geshin Impact and stuff like that.

I think it's a valid question to bring up, without downplaying the console's success in Japan hardware-wise because it indeed is outpacing PS2 & PS3 (and PS4) there. Something a lot of haters and naysayers were trying to imply was impossible.

Top Bottom