• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Biggest Disappointments of 2023

PSVR2 was a disappointment.
I bought it and climbed my way through the pack in Call of the Mountain.
Im going to say that Foveated Rendering is an awful crutch that ruined the headset by making everything blurry, Fresnel Lenses are also on my never touch list of VR hardware.
Constantly I readjust the mask around my eyes to find that one sweet spot where what you’re looking at is in focus. but it was always only what you were directly looking at and then it would blur outward.
It was a disappointing experience.
PSVR 1 games are not back compatible.
Does not connect to PC.

Quest 3 might not have the OLED blacks but it does have everything in sharp focus. Q3 also connects to PC wired and wireless. Just get one of these if interested in VR.

Fbh

FxYy3sn.jpg

But at least FF7Re is right around the corner!

Was super disappointed by FFXVI..... but Rebirth is one of my most anticipated games of next year.
I've slowly come to accept my relation with modern FF is basically
6prjx2.jpg

FF16 was pretty good. Definitely better than 13 and 15. It does not belong on the same list as Redfall GTFO.

But the list isn't "worst" releases of 2023, it's most disappointing ones.
I was really expecting FFXVI to be a 9+ game of then gen contender (for me), and I ended up getting a 6.5-7 / 10 game, which is way more disappointing than Redfall (which IMO always looked mid at best)

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Was super disappointed by FFXVI..... but Rebirth is one of my most anticipated games of next year.
I've slowly come to accept my relation with modern FF is basically
6prjx2.jpg

But the list isn't "worst" releases of 2023, it's most disappointing ones.
I was really expecting FFXVI to be a 9+ game of then gen contender (for me), and I ended up getting a 6.5-7 / 10 game, which is way more disappointing than Redfall (which IMO always looked mid at best)

lol yeah, 16 was trash but when they show the trailer for FF17 I will be like...
jesus-hugh-jack-man.gif

Madflavor

The list is for greatest disappointments, not worst game of 2023. For many, FF16 was quite the disappointment. I still liked it, but it certainly is a let down in a number of areas.

FFXVI was such a letdown of a game. Like an unbelievable let down. The trailers were ticking all the right boxes for me.

Older and more mature protagonist? Check.
He's badass looking? Check.
High Fantasy setting? Check.
Soken doing the music? Check.
Yoshi-P and the writer of Heavensward in charge of the story? Check.
Devil May Cry combat director doing the combat? Check.
Huge focus on Summons as an allegory to nuclear power? Interesting, also check.
R-Rated Final Fantasy? Check.

Then the Prologue Demo came out, and I will die on this hill. Those first two hours of FFXVI is some of the best storytelling we've ever gotten in the entire franchise. But goddamn the rest of the game did not reflect the quality of the Prologue at all.

dottme

+

2214630c3ad5315ac43ee1615644bd936cf28841.gif

....not shitting the bed.
I would say this was the opposite.
It’s coming from a not so great studio. The publisher is quite bad. There is an IP that have seen a lot of bad adaption.

We’ve got a really competent game with a really well adaptation of the IP. I have a lot of fun going around the world and the music are great.

It’s more a good surprise than a disappointment.

XXL

PSVR2 launch line up was better than most consoles launch lineups.
lucious lyon wtf GIF

There is a bunch of criticism that you can throw at PSVR2, the launch lineup is not one of them.

Sojiro

Starfield being on that list is going to ruffle a lot of feathers lol. For me this is easily the MGS collection, this should have been an easy home run for Konami and they were magnificently able to fuck up releasing a collection of some of the best games of all time. It's both tragic and amazing to see them fuck it up so badly

THIS 10000X

starfield is so much better than ff16 and I say this as someone who loves FF (even 13 12,3) boring characters/story terrible framerate. But saying that ff16 is bad won't get IGN clicks like saying starfields name (because no one cares about 16)

Man I don't see how anyone could like FF13. I'm a huge JRPG fan and that game is just terrible in so many ways. Maybe you just have a unique taste in games that FF16 was not going for.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I get it that FFXVI was disappointing for many, but it stills has great qualities and really high moments, some of the highest moments of the year.

Unlike another game that is a disappointment to almost everybody who played it and is nothing but low point after low point.

If you haven't liked a mainline single player Final Fantasy released in the last 17 years, I don't know why your expectations would be so high for this one.
well, i suppose that when 'so high' expectations consist of nothing more than hoping ffxvi be better than ffxiii/ffxv, then, yeah, i guess it might seem a little confusing. but, when someone's greatly enjoyed ffxiv, not to mention all those pre-17 year games, & when one's watched the resident evil series basically reinvent itself & come roaring back from near death, i don't see where expecting as legendary a developer as squeenix, & a series as final fantasy, to manage to accomplish more than ffxvi does is all that difficult to understand...

Last edited:

Hestar69

I enjoyed FF16 way more than I did Starfield, so I'll respectfully disagree with your view

At least FF16 had great boss battles, Starfield's boss battles / battle involved running around jankily shooting a guy in cave for 10 seconds
i'll give you that the boss battle is 16 were great

Crayon

The PSVR2's follow up releases were dissapointing. The launch lineup was fucking awesome from RE and GT alone. Ports of some of the better vr games out there like pavlov filled it out. I would hope they put the ps5 and xbox launches on their previous lists.

Luigi Mario

FFXVI was such a letdown of a game. Like an unbelievable let down. The trailers were ticking all the right boxes for me.

Then the Prologue Demo came out, and I will die on this hill. Those first two hours of FFXVI is some of the best storytelling we've ever gotten in the entire franchise. But goddamn the rest of the game did not reflect the quality of the Prologue at all.
I mostly agree, but there were still questions about Hiroshi Takai being the director of a mainline FF game. A guy whose last big credits were co-director on A Realm Reborn and Heavensward and his last offline RPG being The Last Remnant back in 2008. Which could of course explain some of the design decisions in FFXVI.

Madflavor

I mostly agree, but there were still questions about Hiroshi Takai being the director of a mainline FF game. A guy whose last big credits were co-director on A Realm Reborn and Heavensward and his last offline RPG being The Last Remnant back in 2008. Which could of course explain some of the design decisions in FFXVI.

Yep. In hindsight the games problems makes sense considering who was directing.

Hestar69

Man I don't see how anyone could like FF13. I'm a huge JRPG fan and that game is just terrible in so many ways. Maybe you just have a unique taste in games that FF16 was not going for.
13 games are under rated imo.. yeah they the firsts super linear, but my fav FFX is linear aswell so didn't bother me too much.the second was was even better and the third was alright with its weird time thing.

I'll give 16 another chance when the second dlc comes out. Maybe second playthrough ill enjoy it more (hoping)

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Starfield
The Marvel Cinematic Universe
PlayStation VR2's Launch Line-Up
The Flash
Secret Invasion
Redfall
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1

I'm not the biggest fan of IGN but Starfield being the biggest disappointment of 2023 is spot on 100%. What a massive let down. I've already given my views on it in another thread but
even with all the promised updates and DLC for 2024, I have no desire to go back to it. AT ALL.

GIF-breaking-bad-disappointed-disappointment-let-down-no-SMH-GIF.gif

BigLee74

I’d say it would be better off as fallout in space, but the lack of a designed open world, and instead using these generated plates, is making modders not even want to work on it.

What do you mean modders don’t want to work on it? Have they come out and said this?

I mean, mods aren’t even officially supported until sometime next year…

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Redfall was pretty devastating.
FF16 disappointed me more than Starfield as far as the "okay but overhyped" category goes. Starfield was massively overhyped but the game was still at least a solid B+.

Blackage

FKcRXNtkuNwC7bL24mgznJq5.png

The jebait release window from Xbox, into the no update mix-up from Team Cherry followed by ongoing radio silence about the status of the game has been one of the biggest disappointments of the year for me.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
i'll give you that the boss battle is 16 were great
The boss battle were phenomenal (well… 3-4 of them), as was the prologue. That, for me, is what makes it so disappointing. There was such promise there that, if the rest of the game had lived up to it, would have produced a truly exceptional experience. I enjoyed much of the game - enough to platinum it. But to see what could have been but will never be? That is disappointment.

Diablo Iv, by comparison, never even had a shot at greatness. It was always going to be a cynical, over-monetised, needle drawn-out experience. No-one should have got something they weren’t expecting with that one.

SkylineRKR

Final Fantasy XVI is an incredible turd and a massive waste of talent. As an action game its a piece of shit too. Because it was too padded out, way too repetitive and it lacks any kind of meaningful challenge. Who wants an action game with these Eikon battles that go on for about an hour and your inputs and reactions barely matter? Honestly I don't get the appeal of this game at all. The prologue was very good, because the character development and world building was well done. The gameplay being easy and limited doesn't matter so much in a prologue because you know you'll get 30+ hours of growth out of these games... but the problem was.. nothing really changed beyond the prologue. The magic attack might as well not be there, the added limit break is just lame.. it powers you up for a brief time and thats about it.

And about FFXIII, this game is a turd as well but at least had some decent and challenging ATB combat. And let me say that beyond its obviously low budget, Lightning Returns is actually pretty fucking good. It requires some skill, proper setups and some time management if you want to do all side objectives. Its also quite replayable. Its the best and most underrated 'new' offline FF I played since XII.

Sushi_Combo

I am forcing myself at finishing it because I'm too far in to leave it at this point. The pacing is excruciatingly bad. It seems that there was a separate team all together that worked on the prologue.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You never played it, unless you got around to trying the demo
I played the demo immediately. And we've talked about it multiple times because you criticized me repeatedly for only playing the demo. Getting tired of your need to pick fights with me over bullshit. Last time I'm replying to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom