• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K 120hz Firmware rollout begins for Sony X900H / XH90

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony hasn't added Dolby Vision yet. I can't buy a TV in 2020 if it doesn't have that feature. I rather go LCD but samsung and Sony are forcing me to get the LG CX if they're not going to support Dolby Vision .

My 20164K HDR Sony XD70 (X700D) has Dolby Vision. You're mixing it with Samsung, I guess.

FlyyGOD

Huh? I watch Dolby Vision content all the time on this very TV. Disney+ DV Light or Dark modes.

85jHQpp.png
Does it do Dolby vison 120 hz or VRR?

Last edited:

NewYork214

Yesssss. Do this when I get home. Was honestly kinda nervous with them not launching with the hdmi 2.1 support, that it wouldn't be ready in time for ps5

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I've been waiting to pick up a new 55" TV and I have been trying to decide between this, the Q90t or the New Vizio OLED if anyone reputable actully reviews the darn thing so I can see if its worth it. Anyone here have any preferences. Its either one of these or wait a year.

Allandor

Update still not available here (Germany). Just a security update was installed in the last 2 days. And with it a few more unwanted apps. Now the memory is almost full.
I really hope that the upcoming update releases some of the memory.

Mokus

Update still not available here (Germany). Just a security update was installed in the last 2 days. And with it a few more unwanted apps. Now the memory is almost full.
I really hope that the upcoming update releases some of the memory.
I did get the update as soon was available. Maybe something went wrong in your case... You know that you have to activate it manually...?

T_LVPL

I actually disagree with the general online narrative that now’s the time to be buying a new TV. I’m giving it a few years, because there doesn’t seem to be a perfect TV right now which covers every base, and is completely future proof for this upcoming console generation.

I just bought my first 4k TV at the start of 2019, i’m really happy with it and there will be barely any 120htz games in the coming year or 2 at least. so i’ll be giving it a few more years before upgrading to a TV fully optimised for the PS5. Also pay half what i’d be paying right now.

Last edited:

Calverz

I actually disagree with the general online narrative that now’s the time to be buying a new TV. I’m giving it a few years, because there doesn’t seem to be a perfect TV right now which covers every base, and is completely future proof for this upcoming console generation.

I just bought my first 4k TV at the start of 2019, i’m really happy with it and there will be barely any 120htz games in the coming year or 2 at least. so i’ll be giving it a few more years before upgrading to a TV fully optimised for the PS5. Also pay half what i’d be paying right now.
Dude Dirt 5 is a launch title with a 120hz mode. Lots of games will follow suit offering 120hz modes. Gears 5 multiplayer and halo inifnite will have 120hz multiplayer. Cod black ops cold war will. Im sorry but you should have waited another 18months before pulling the trigger.

Malakhov

Banned
VRR is also ready and coming

Sony said that VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) and ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode), which are two optional HDMI 2.1 features, will be enabled on X900H (XH90) with a later update as soon as VRR and ALLM have been formally certified by an HDMI test center.

HDMI 2.1 isn't required for VRR.

That's why my recent TV purchase doesn't have HDMI 2.1 but has most of the other features other than 4k120. TV still does 120, but at lower resolutions and I won't be able to tell at 5 -6 feet anyway.

What TV is it please?

Kerotan

His point being that 4k 120hz games are going to be extremely rare and the games that do run at that resolution and fps won't be graphically impressive enough to even tell the difference of 4k and lower resolutions at most sitting distances.
Even if true you'd still want a 2.1 TV if you plan on getting a ps5 pro in 3/4 years. Running games at 4k 120fps will probably be much more common there. But yes until then only a few games will support it.

My question is do you need 2.1 to run a game at 120fps but a lower resolution such as 1440p or 1080p?

FlyyGOD

Dude Dirt 5 is a launch title with a 120hz mode. Lots of games will follow suit offering 120hz modes. Gears 5 multiplayer and halo inifnite will have 120hz multiplayer. Cod black ops cold war will. Im sorry but you should have waited another 18months before pulling the trigger.
Don't forget Ori And The will Of The Wisp supposedly runs at 4k 120hz.

T_LVPL

Well my old TV broke so i had no choice to pull the trigger in fairness. Glad I did as been enjoying the tv, also has component which most of them don’t now so good for old consoles.

Fair play if quite a few games have 120 htz, i mainly play JRPGs and Action JRPGs and doubt it’ll be many of those in the next year or so. I don’t play racing games and no FPS since Destiny 1. Most of the current TVs seem to be missing quite a few features to futureproof them. This time next year onwards would be a better time to buy imo and also be cheaper as 120htz 2.1 becomes the norm. It also seems to mainly only be on 55 inch and upwards tvs right now? well i haven’t got room for any bigger than 50 inch. So i’m gonna need to wait for 50 inch tvs to get it anyway.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean 120hz isn’t a big thing for me. I much rather have a 950 with a superior picture but for $900 you can’t really beat the 900h.

Sony's TV division really needs to get in touch with the Playstation guys when designing next year's televisions. They need to create better synergy. Sony TV's should be the top choice for most gamers for the features, price and quality.

TheKratos

I don't think checkerboard 4k 120hz will be that rare. Cold War will have 120hz. FPS is the main genre where 100+ frames really shine. I expect shooters, sport and race games to have 120hz modes.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't think checkerboard 4k 120hz will be that rare. Cold War will have 120hz. FPS is the main genre where 100+ frames really shine. I expect shooters, sport and race games to have 120hz modes.

This time around Sony is doing another method of image reconstruction as it seems, as GT7 heavily raytraced at 4K@60fps is quite amusing. Could be reconstructed or could be a mixture of raytracing, probably licensed LocalRay from Adshir for very inexpensive RT solution for the same results.

peetfeet

Just noticed a new (not the 14th Oct update, today) FW update for the XH90 (UK), installing. Something about adding 120hz for PS5, wasn't paying attention sorry!

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Just noticed a new (not the one this thread was opened for) FW update for the XH90 (UK), installing. Something about adding 120hz for PS5, wasn't paying attention sorry!
I think there is a problem with a blurry image at 120htz that they said will be updated. Hopefully that as I got my eye on one of these but that issue has put the handbrake on until that issue is sorted.

peetfeet

I think there is a problem with a blurry image at 120htz that they said will be updated. Hopefully that as I got my eye on one of these but that issue has put the handbrake on until that issue is sorted.
would make sense as its already enabled, there was some other stuff listed too but cant find the update details anymore on my TV. Hopefully someone can check.

timmyp53

not only that. the other HDMI 2.1 features are game changing. Auto low latency and HDMI eARC are both great features.
Hdmi 2.1 is a good thing but you highlighted the wrong features. saying that auto low latency is a game changer when it barely does anything but switch a setting and mention eARC which has been around since 2009.

The most impressive feature of the new spec is Dynamic HDR but that wont be utilized in games. For games its VRR .

Andodalf

Banned
Hdmi 2.1 is a good thing but you highlighted the wrong features. saying that auto low latency is a game changer when it barely does anything but switch a setting and mention eARC which has been around since 2009.

The most impressive feature of the new spec is Dynamic HDR but that wont be utilized in games. For games its VRR .

Xbox series has confirmed support for Dolby vision gaming, so dynamic metadata HDR gaming is coming

timmyp53

Xbox series has confirmed support for Dolby vision gaming, so dynamic metadata HDR gaming is coming
It is only useful in movies. Tonemapping frame by frame would only apply to cutscenes if developers even wanted to put that herculean effort in.

Andodalf

Banned
It is only useful in movies. Tonemapping frame by frame would only apply to cutscenes if developers even wanted to put that herculean effort in.

It doesn’t have to be frame by frame. Dynamic metadata can mean per scene, which could definitely be done for gameplay. Even just having a Night/Day would be nice.

timmyp53

It doesn’t have to be frame by frame. Dynamic metadata can mean per scene, which could definitely be done for gameplay. Even just having a Night/Day would be nice.
I could see that being utilized. Dynamic hdr isn't exclusive to DV however. As HDR 10+ is royalty free it's likely it will be utilized more broadly on the majority of manufactured tv sets . Sony has already moved away from proprietary solutions like Dolby. It'll only continue. We'll have to see how it shakes out.

Andodalf

Banned
I could see that being utilized. Dynamic hdr isn't exclusive to DV however. As HDR 10+ is royalty free it's likely it will be utilized more broadly on the majority of manufactured tv sets . Sony has already moved away from proprietary solutions like Dolby. It'll only continue. We'll have to see how it shakes out.

I don’t think there is a HDR 10+ gaming equivalent, and Dolby vision can be interpreted as HDR 10 so it’s not like it’s mandatory or the game won’t have HDR without it. Dolby vision is also on a very large portion of sets these days.

timmyp53

I don’t think there is a HDR 10+ gaming equivalent, and Dolby vision can be interpreted as HDR 10 so it’s not like it’s mandatory or the game won’t have HDR without it. Dolby vision is also on a very large portion of sets these days.
It's just an HDR format. Don't fall for marketing.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I have the X950G and have the H firmware installed on it since it's exactly the same hardware. Will see how this works on it.
The X95G has the same firmware as the X95H and ZH8
The X90H is different

ethomaz

Banned
I forgot about R6 Siege, actually, I guess. What else have they announced that's gonna be able to pull that off?
Actually you forget more games... the most famous ones CoD.

CoD output most modes at 4k120fps on PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom