• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Darkatomz

VERY nice op. Offers enough of what you're looking for without the mindfuck of the stuff at head-fi.

On the go:
iPod classic 30gb
Head-Direct RE0

Home:
Audio-Technica AD700
Asus Xonar Essence ST (2xLME49720HA, 1xLM6172IN)
Swan M200MKII
iTunes with these equalizer settings

Only thing I plan on upgrading within any reasonable time frame is the iPod
(which was given as a gift, as I would never buy anything Apple)
to a Cowon J3. Probably when it breaks.

I need some suggestions on some earphones for use with my iPhone. I'm looking for:

• Non-IEM earbuds
  • iPhone compatible microphone and remote
  • 50$ USD or less
Anyone have any ideas? Or does anyone know if the Yuin PK3's can be taken apart as to mod them to the official iPhone headset?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
IEM vs Full-Size Headphones is a tricky comparison.

HD595 is definitely worth that price, and then some.

longdi said:
Is the HD595 worth $114? Is it better than Ultimate Ears triple10fi?
Well are you looking for a headphone or IEM?

I haven't used either but have heard good things about the 595, and that's the lowest I've ever seen it. Probably a good bet!

Wallach

longdi said:
Is the HD595 worth $114? Is it better than Ultimate Ears triple10fi?

Pretty different headphones to be comparing directly, honestly. IEMs and cans are different beasts. What you'll notice straight away with HD595s is that the soundstage is fucking enormous compared to even high quality IEMs; whether this is actually a positive or a negative for you will probably depend, especially initially, on how used to using IEMs you are. Also, HD595s are open-back cans so they don't isolate like your Triplefi10s, and what you're listening to will be more audible from the outside to others. I will say as far as cans go HD595s for $115 is a fucking deal and if you've never had a high-quality set of cans you should buy that shit on the double.

KJTB

Wallach said:
MDR-7506s are basically renamed MDR-V6s, my all-time favorite set of monitors in terms of price/performance. I've owned two pairs, and they are just awesome cans to have lying around for everyday stuff (I actually tend to wear them when gaming a lot because of the fairly high comfort/isolation). My only complaint with them out of the box is they use pleather-style pads which - like any pleather - will start to flake off and come apart down the line. I recommend replacing them with a set of beyerdynamic velour replacement pads for DT250s (here).

Bookmarked your link for if I do need to replace the pads, thanks :D

longdi

Banned
I am actually looking for a plug and play audio for my PC, no need extreme portable-ness, but compact to sit on my desk, should sound better than your typical PC speakers and no need to boot up the av amp. Just getting good sound from daily PC use. Between Triplefi and HD595, which will sound better for PC uses that include movies and games boom boom boom and a good for all kind of laid back songs.

I had a old PX200 which died sometime ago, how big is the HD595 step-up and does its foampad last long? How often does Amazon discount the HD595 to $114? Thanks.

I'm really tempted to get a pair of Grados, but I think it'll be better if I just wait and get the Sennheiser HD800 set. Thinking about getting a Pico DAC/AMP before doing so.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm really tempted to get a pair of Grados, but I think it'll be better if I just wait and get the Sennheiser HD800 set. Thinking about getting a Pico DAC/AMP before doing so.

Do you have any sort of DAC or amp right now? At all? If not going to a HD800 is quite a leap.

bedlamite

Manager said:
Just bought my first headphones, AKG K 518 LE for ~€50. From what I've read, they're a good choice in the €50 price class.

cthumb_Ima49350b2b69d87.jpg

They sit tight as hell, can't wear them for more than 30 minutes, but I love the sound in them. Will still keep my cheap in-ear one's for when walking outside. I'll steadily walk upwards in the price range when I got more money later on.
Have these and I do like them, but the 518s are a DJ headphone, which means these things are tuned for big amounts of bass. There's a easy little mod to improve the treble, just remove the foam inserts from inside the earpads and you'll get a more-well rounded sound signature.

Wallach

longdi said:
I am actually looking for a plug and play audio for my PC, no need extreme portable-ness, but compact to sit on my desk, should sound better than your typical PC speakers and no need to boot up the av amp. Just getting good sound from daily PC use. Between Triplefi and HD595, which will sound better for PC uses that include movies and games boom boom boom and a good for all kind of laid back songs.

I had a old PX200 which died sometime ago, how big is the HD595 step-up and does its foampad last long? How often does Amazon discount the HD595 to $114? Thanks.

I think the sale on the HD595s at Amazon and J&R is over, unfortunately. I see them around $150 again today.

As for the type of listening you're talking about, I definitely would recommend cans over IEMs. I tend to only use IEMs for more portable listening and pretty much exclusively for music.

That said, you might be better off just getting a set of HD555s instead of HD595s because they're cheaper and really are basically the same headphone outside of a foam insert (which you could actually get in there and remove if you're feeling handy) and slightly superior materials in the HD595. Now, one thing to keep in mind is that these open-back cans are not big bass monster type cans - they're designed for very natural and wide-open sound reproduction. That makes them very good in particular for "serious" gaming where audio positioning can actually be beneficial to your performance (think Quake Live, Call of Duty or Counter-Strike), but they aren't the type of cans that are going to rock your world in terms of pure bass quantity.

You may want to consider closed-back cans if you're looking more for pure immersion and heavier "thump" for movies and stuff and aren't quite as concerned with pure accuracy. Cans like the Audio Technica ATH-M50 monitors might be more suited to what you're looking for. Note that the ATH-M50S is the same set of headphones, but the cabling is straight instead of coiled.

Edit - Actually I would also consider the ATH-A700 - they're slightly lighter (and definitely more comfortable headphones for prolonged usage), but where they really shine is that the soundstage is surprisingly wide and for gaming in particular they are amazing cans. These also have an open-back version (ATH-AD700) that won't have the same isolation or bass response as the closed-back set, but some competitive gamers prefer them for the improved listening fatigue and improved air movement that comes with open-back cans which can make positional cues even more accurate.

Edit #2 - Worth noting also is that the ATH-A700 and AD700 will be much easier to drive from weaker sources and so they perform much better if you aren't using an amplifier.

I have some HD238s
some HD555 modded to be HD595s
Klipsch s4
had some Ultimate Ear..whatevers, they burned out in one ear.

can't beat some good headphones

1stStrike

Banned
Wallach said:
Damn, very nice. I don't think many folks here would understand paying that much for cans. :D

I just got a pair of D7000's right before Christmas (bought them for $650 from J&R Electronics).

They're pretty awesome. I have a custom built headphone amp as well - but, what I've got is outside the budget of most people (or they simply don't feel they need it due to the cost).

You can still get good sound quality without all the fancy gadgets and something like the D2000's or HD595's.

Wallach said:
I think the sale on the HD595s at Amazon and J&R is over, unfortunately. I see them around $150 again today.

As for the type of listening you're talking about, I definitely would recommend cans over IEMs. I tend to only use IEMs for more portable listening and pretty much exclusively for music.

That said, you might be better off just getting a set of HD555s instead of HD595s because they're cheaper and really are basically the same headphone outside of a foam insert (which you could actually get in there and remove if you're feeling handy) and slightly superior materials in the HD595. Now, one thing to keep in mind is that these open-back cans are not big bass monster type cans - they're designed for very natural and wide-open sound reproduction. That makes them very good in particular for "serious" gaming where audio positioning can actually be beneficial to your performance (think Quake Live, Call of Duty or Counter-Strike), but they aren't the type of cans that are going to rock your world in terms of pure bass quantity.

You may want to consider closed-back cans if you're looking more for pure immersion and heavier "thump" for movies and stuff and aren't quite as concerned with pure accuracy. Cans like the Audio Technica ATH-M50 monitors might be more suited to what you're looking for. Note that the ATH-M50S is the same set of headphones, but the cabling is straight instead of coiled.

Edit - Actually I would also consider the ATH-A700 - they're slightly lighter (and definitely more comfortable headphones for prolonged usage), but where they really shine is that the soundstage is surprisingly wide and for gaming in particular they are amazing cans. These also have an open-back version (ATH-AD700) that won't have the same isolation or bass response as the closed-back set, but some competitive gamers prefer them for the improved listening fatigue and improved air movement that comes with open-back cans which can make positional cues even more accurate.

Edit #2 - Worth noting also is that the ATH-A700 and AD700 will be much easier to drive from weaker sources and so they perform much better if you aren't using an amplifier.

I'm not sure how you can recommend closed, bass heavy cans and not mention the Denon D*000 line of headphones. They have monster bass.

Oreoleo

AvidNobody said:
Hmm... Can I get some more info on this? Does it really sound better without a quality pair of headphones. I guess I can just make a preset or something and find out actually.

In principle, yes what the poster suggests in that link would hold true regardless of headphones/setup. Boosting levels less causes less distortion.

MrBig

AvidNobody said:
Hmm... Can I get some more info on this? Does it really sound better without a quality pair of headphones. I guess I can just make a preset or something and find out actually.
And is there anything similar I could be doing with the zune software?

Wallach

1stStrike said:
I'm not sure how you can recommend closed, bass heavy cans and not mention the Denon D*000 line of headphones. They have monster bass.

It was more a consideration of the budget area similar to the HD595 sale he already mentioned. The only Denon Dx000 set in that range is the D1000 (which I'm not sure they still produce) and personally I am more of a fan of that line D2000 and up.

Question, can anyone recommend any wireless portable headphones around ~$150? Or is the whole 'wireless' aspect considered haram in this thread

1stStrike

Banned
Wallach said:
It was more a consideration of the budget area similar to the HD595 sale he already mentioned. The only Denon Dx000 set in that range is the D1000 (which I'm not sure they still produce) and personally I am more of a fan of that line D2000 and up.

Ah, I see. Still, they're not too much more expensive and they'll rattle your brain out with an amp. I enjoy the more refined, rolling bass of the D7000's, but the D2000's are really great too. If mine hadn't broken I wouldn't have purchased the D7000's.

Wallach

1stStrike said:
Ah, I see. Still, they're not too much more expensive and they'll rattle your brain out with an amp. I enjoy the more refined, rolling bass of the D7000's, but the D2000's are really great too. If mine hadn't broken I wouldn't have purchased the D7000's.

I really like D2000s and everything above in that line. My other concern was that I don't know if he has (or is even considering) an amp and something like the A700s are much easier to drive without one.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Wallach said:
I really like D2000s and everything above in that line. My other concern was that I don't know if he has (or is even considering) an amp and something like the A700s are much easier to drive without one.

I can attest to both, amped and unamped, as I have both the D2000s and A700s, and really I wouldn't have the least bit concern about using D2000s unamped. Sure, they sound better on a good amp, but it's not too dramatic. I will say this: I could tell more of a difference, amped/unamped, on the D2000s than the A700s.

Obviously, my opinion completely and your findings may vary. I just wanted to put it out there that you can listen to the sublime D2000s without any amplification and not miss a beat. ;)

Wallach

Diseased Yak said:
I can attest to both, amped and unamped, as I have both the D2000s and A700s, and really I wouldn't have the least bit concern about using D2000s unamped. Sure, they sound better on a good amp, but it's not too dramatic. I will say this: I could tell more of a difference, amped/unamped, on the D2000s than the A700s.

Obviously, my opinion completely and your findings may vary. I just wanted to put it out there that you can listen to the sublime D2000s without any amplification and not miss a beat. ;)

Yeah, to my ears the D2000s were just way more sensitive to being amped. Thing is we're just talking two different price points - if he's willing to bump up to that price range I'd definitely put them out there because I really like those cans.

Davidion

WHOAguitarninja said:
The turbines are actually quite good, and very competitive at the pricepoint they're sold at.

Yes, the turbines don't suffer from the Monster markupitis that their...everything else, tends to suffer from. Reviews of their sound has been generally decent to positive.

I like the thread title, though I think $500 is a bit too low. The real dreamy shit all floats at around $700-1000, imo.

I ordered a straight cable for my TMA-1s from Turntable Lab 3-4 days ago. $9 for ground shipping on a $16 cable AND FedEx still says "Shipment information sent to FedEx."

I feel robbed.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Awesome thread! I don't have the money to get into high-end audio equipment right now. But I just recently bought two very inexpensive items - and I think both are great introductions to better audio quality. Honestly for what these cost, they sound incredible:

329980-XH2M5ZR.jpg

ATH-AD700

329981-6YM6KCW.jpg

And the uDAC-2

As mentioned the AD700's sound really great all around, the soundstage is amazing, but they lack bass on heavier songs (Dance, hip-hop, etc). For live, classical, world and instrumental they sound incredibly life-like. The uDAC did help bring the bass and lower end forward a bit. On some songs, the notes came through with enough punch to just slightly "feel" it. Perfect if you're not a basshead. It also cleaned up the sound quite a bit (compared to onboard audio).

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Anyone have any advice on getting out a stuck mini XLR plug?? I've wanted to replace the cable on my AKG K-271's forever but I seriously can't get the plug out.

GhCnb.jpg

I've tried everything I can think of and was wondering if anyone had a similar experience especially since I've seen a few others here have the same set. It seems that the plastic release button isn't properly disengaging the lock but I can't find anything slim, flexible and strong enough to slip inside to try to manually release it. I guess I should send an email off to AKG for advice but figured I would ask here.

1stStrike

Banned
Davidion said:
I like the thread title, though I think $500 is a bit too low. The real dreamy shit all floats at around $700-1000, imo.

I'd agree with that assessment, but $500 is already stretching it for most people as it is :lol

SleazyC said:
For another (and a bit on the pricy side) alternative for headphone stands I'd like to toss out the Woo audio headphone stands

I own the $59 model and it is great.

Wholly support this thread and hope it finally drives me to get some customs this year! Hoping to pick up a pair of ES5's.

I went for the banana stand that's in the OP and it works great. Cost me $12.99 too! (and matches the wooden ear cups of my D7000's) :lol

1stStrike

Banned
MrBig said:
Is there any reason I shouldn't just be laying headphones down on my desk?

It depends on several factors.

1. How much do you actually care about your headphones?

2. What are they made of? Headphones with wooden ear cups dent/scratch easily, so it's best to hang them.

3. How much do you care about looks? Do you think having a tight headphone stand with your phones on them make your desk area look better or would it just be a burden?

4. Are you clumsy and constantly drop/knock over your headphones?

Kukuk said:
Awesome new thread. :D

Pics of my headphones and amp.
Hey, another Little Dot fan. The I+ was my first headphone amp, and I still use it for my Wii and PS3.
svqkc6.jpg

With Grado SR80i. One of the best bang-for-your-buck headphones IMHO.

Then I got a case of upgraditis, and now I rely on these for my desktop headphone and amp:
14dk8pu.jpg
Grado SR325is with Mapletree Audio Design's Super 2 headphone amp.

I use Klipsch S4 earbuds for my Ipod. I aim to obtain the Grado RS1i one of these days, then I'm set. No more headphones after that, I swear.

1stStrike

Banned
For you guys with bass heavy phones (especially the D*000 series) play "Solar Sailer" from the Tron soundtrack. It's 2:42 of music just rolling across your ear drums.

sasimirobot

I would like to listen to bass heavy music (dubstep, electronic, etc...) on my netbook while traveling around china, so I need something that draws little power and noise cancelling would be great also.
It has to be a common name brand since the selection in the city I am in is pretty mainstream.

1. good bass
2. low power consumption
3. noise cancel
4. very common brand
5. 100$US or less
6. Headphone or earbud

MrBig

sasimirobot said:
I would like to listen to bass heavy music (dubstep, electronic, etc...) on my netbook while traveling around china, so I need something that draws little power and noise cancelling would be great also.
It has to be a common name brand since the selection in the city I am in is pretty mainstream.

1. good bass
2. low power consumption
3. noise cancel
4. very common brand
5. 100$US or less
6. Headphone or earbud
I used to use a sony noise canceling headphone if you just want noise canceling and not isolation. Were cheap, sounded good, and were powered by AAA batteries for active noise canceling. Bass got kicked up when you turned them on.

Oreoleo

MrBig said:
I used to use a sony noise canceling headphone if you just want noise canceling and not isolation. Were cheap, sounded good, and were powered by AAA batteries for active noise canceling. Bass got kicked up when you turned them on.

I had a pair like those a few years ago, noise cancelling added an audible layer of white noise in the background. Slight, but noticeable. For bass and noise isolation I'd recommend getting some IEM's

edit: of course a few years later and $100 can probably buy you something pretty good. I'm not that familiar with what's available in that area.

Wallach

Orellio said:
I had a pair like those a few years ago, noise cancelling added an audible layer of white noise in the background. Slight, but noticeable. For bass and noise isolation I'd recommend getting some IEM's

I'd second this. I have never liked active noise cancelling. IEMs with something like Comply tips for example offer very high isolation anyway (though they take a bite out of the highs on my Turbines).

DonMigs85 said:
As far as cheapie phones go, how are Skullcandy INK'D?

Never heard anything positive about Skullcandy sound quality. Look at the MeElectronics M9 linked in the OP (bottom of the under $50 earphone section).

sasimirobot

well I will riding on alot of trains, buses, etc...
white noise won't bother me, but the hacking, coughing, yelling in Chinese over what to eat for dinner will.

Top Bottom