• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

70% of Call of Duty: Vanguard's UK launch physical sales were on PlayStation platforms

Shmunter

The whole Xbox model is built around digital, rightly or wrongly, if you can’t see that… actually, I’m not going to finish that sentence, because anyone with a brain can see that.

These threads should all be in one IMO, instead of cluttering up the board with this skewed nonsense every time a game releases. It’s effectively the same as sucking on a pacifier for fanboys. Comforting I’m sure, but ultimately pointless.

As long as they keep being posted I’m free to keep saying as much.
I agree. The retail sales aren’t just a result of install base. Xbox users simply buy less games on avg due to gamepass being a compelling alternative.

in saying that, it is interesting to see how the traditional models are being effected over time..

I agree. The retail sales aren’t just a result of install base. Xbox users simply buy less games on avg due to gamepass being a compelling alternative.

in saying that, it is interesting to see how the traditional models are being effected over time..
Absolutely true. Xbox is setup to get users to subscribe to Gamepass - plain and simple. That’s the long and the short term goal. The push to convert users to digital is not covert.

If I could be bothered I could make an argument that this is evidence of that strategy being executed successfully, but there’s no point because UK physical sales still isn’t a meaningful data point for literally any argument.

Shmunter

Absolutely true. Xbox is setup to get users to subscribe to Gamepass - plain and simple. That’s the long and the short term goal. The push to convert users to digital is not covert.

If I could be bothered I could make an argument that this is evidence of that strategy being executed successfully, but there’s no point because UK physical sales still isn’t a meaningful data point for literally any argument.
I must confess, not the first time! Not a fan off it myself because it erodes sales off all games - not just gamepass games. That’s not good for creators nor gamers from my perspective. Too many settle on what’s available on the sub and ignore the rest.

Not sure what the devs think off this, but certainly if “selling” your game and you’re not getting enough traction on the platform - you will care less for it.

Last edited:
I must confess, not the first time! Not a fan off it myself because it erodes sales off all games - not just gamepass games. That’s not good for creators nor gamers from my perspective. Too many settle on what’s available on the sub and ignore the rest.

Not sure what the devs think off this, but certainly if “selling” your game and you’re not getting enough traction on the platform - you will care less for it.
Yes, people make the same arguments against Netflix etc. Bad for creators. I’m not sure either way - don’t have the answers, would need to be in the MS or Sony war rooms with all the data to even have a chance of meaningful insight, but even then think only time will tell.

It’s definitely good for consumers, in the short term at least for sure.

The only point to my contribution in these threads is to redress the ‘hur hur 70%’ Neanderthal level debate, each and every time a game comes out. Weak as piss console warrioring. This place is better without it.

kingfey

Banned
Look..I don't disagree with some of your points but stop attacking people on here man smh.
@Lupin25 brings up many great points, so do you btw, but the point they bring up about you generalizing too much is completely true.

The lolz, Halo is not touching BF and COD sir...you can skip them, you can favor Halo and have your friends favor it too, but I don't see that happening and I don't see anything that is some brand new revolutionary thing that we should take note of simply cause you skipping those games, thats nice bud....you can still anything, doesn't change the fact that COD is likely to move like 30 mill though lol Keep in mind, I say this as a BF fan. Just cause I favor BF, doesn't mean anyone I know skipping COD is some magical fucking sign of something...its nothing bud, COD will outsell BF just like it will outsell Halo. I see nothing changing that at the movement based on you or me or something lol

nahhhhhhhhhh Not even remotely.

Its not what you think.

100 million is units sold, its not ACTIVE units, as in that doesn't account for people who have sold it, own more then 1 or who also own a PS5. As someone looking to get a PS5 likely sometime next year, I can tell you several games I'm holding off on getting to play on PS5. BF I'm actually getting day 1 or on holiday, but intend to play most of it on PS5 next year when I get more time, so I understand why you'd see higher sales on PS5, its the active base by the hardcore who play those MP titles the way they do and want the BEST system to play it on. So its not that shocking that number is in favor of PS5 and not PS4. That made a bit of sense last year, that makes less sense a year later. Many might also buy a PS5 copy with the intent to get a PS5 during the holiday...

Agreed.

I myself am waiting to get a PS5 to even buy that game
Your ps4 argument can be used for ps5 too. Especially with scalping situations for both consoles.

Its just ps4 has a higher numbers, compared to 1m ps5 that is in the UK.

If we account the people who have ps5, what genre of games they play, they still won't come to quarter of ps4.

As for holding of buying games, not everyone is the same as you.

I bought fifa22 day1, since I wanted to join the action. I could have waited for xseries console, and buy it there, but I couldn't wait. Same thing for people who have old gen.

For the hardcore, it won't matter the active users, since the console has supply constrain. This will actually encourage them, to buy the game on ps4. Its the casuals who can hold of these games, and can wait for ps5.

Until ps5 doesn't a supply constraint, I dont see it surpass ps4, in term of cross gen games. Even xbox is suffering from this issue.

At least 4m ps5 UK would have made some sense. Sadly, its still sitting at 1m consoles (unknown active users).

kingfey

Banned
If you think these Sony cross-gen games were just casually planned as cross-gen last minute due to Covid-19 and the chip shortage you couldn't be more wrong.
You don't simply plan those things a year before release. That's not how it works.
Level design alone would need a huge adaptation to that old Jaguar inside that PS4 in comparison to PS5's hardware (plus developing exclusively with SSDs in mind vs HDD from the PS4). There's just too many compromises to make to simply tell a developer "oh btw, this will need a PS4 version by release as well" a year ahead.
God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo specially scream cross-gen games even by looking at the PS5 version for a reason. This wasn't decided in 2020 or 2021.

Also...saying consumers don't wait for hardware to buy games...why do you think Miles Morales is always Top 10 when the PS5 gets more stock and leaves the charts when it isn't? The game is also on the PS4...why aren't people buying that version when there's no PS5 stock? They are clearly waiting to get the game on the PS5 even if they could get it before on the PS4.
Miles is because of marketing. Despite the game being on ps4, the game was heavily marketed as ps5 exclusive. And its a spiderman game.

We can try ratchet and Clank, which hit 1m on ps5. That game isn't even on ps4, and it still sold that much.

Cross gen was to be expected. Last consoles had cross games. You dont ignore your old gen customers, and only focus on 13m people. Sony never bothered themselves to say its cross gen games, unlike MS.

Covid and chip shortage are unexpected events. Its something both console manufacturers weren't expecting it. Even the ssd you are talking about, wasn't the reason for cross gen talk. Ps4 did have lou2 and ghost of Tsushima. As much shit the old consoles are, they were still strong.

Ratchet just showed what you can do with new tech. Again, those cross gen were already in the plan, because it was on production before those new consoles were even started. Games take 3-6 years to make.

kingfey

Banned

Those game publishers have the data.

If they relied on those physical sales, like the UK, then pc would get 0 games.

In reality, those publishers make more selling their games digital.
1: they don't lose their digital copies, like physical copies. 2nd: they don't wait too long for their copies to sell. 3rd: it costs less money to put your games digital, compared to physical.

With all these points, game publishers can see how much they make from these platforms. With Xbox embracing digital sales, and PlayStation beginning to accept digital sales, they don't have to worry about anything.

EA is clear example of this case. They opened their own store, and weren't selling that much, so they moved to steam. Its like putting your games in gamestop, hoping people will buy it, compared to putting it on ps store, where customers can directly buy it from without a hassle.

Also gamepass is much better value for these publishers. They get MS bag. After 1 year deal, people will buy it. They also get from platforms which doesn't have gamepass.

I am a pc gamer. I can buy any steam game I want now, granted its not removed from the system. Some of that revenue goes to the publisher, if they are still selling.

EDMIX

Its just ps4 has a higher numbers, compared to 1m ps5 that is in the UK.
The active base is simply not going to be as high as PS5 currently as to why you are seeing those games sales favor PS5.
As for holding of buying games, not everyone is the same as you.

I bought fifa22 day1, since I wanted to join the action. I could have waited for xseries console, and buy it there, but I couldn't wait.

smh.

Shit man, stop rage posting and READ the post lol

. BF I'm actually getting day 1 or on holiday

As someone looking to get a PS5 likely sometime next year,

Soooooo we are both getting games day 1 and could have waited for next gen systems. lol

Says not everyone is the same as me (proceeds to fucking tell me they are doing the very same thing as me cause they didn't read the post clearly)

since the console has supply constrain.

With the records broken by PS5 and the sales showing it in favor vs PS4, none of that matters. As in...COD in UK has officially sold more on PS5

I dont see it surpass ps4, in term of cross gen games.

It happened here and you are still fucking fighting a number...

41% PS5, 29% PS4....

let it go. 1 number is higher, that active, hardcore install base as spoken and its clear this is the beginning of that transition and not by a little either. You and I might have got Fifa or BF for last gen, but I doubt either of us plan to play those titles solely on last gen as I'm sure you'll play on next gen when you pick one up no different then when I get a hold of a PS5.

kingfey

Banned
The active base is simply not going to be as high as PS5 currently as to why you are seeing those games sales favor PS5.

smh.

Shit man, stop rage posting and READ the post lol

Soooooo we are both getting games day 1 and could have waited for next gen systems. lol

Says not everyone is the same as me (proceeds to fucking tell me they are doing the very same thing as me cause they didn't read the post clearly)

With the records broken by PS5 and the sales showing it in favor vs PS4, none of that matters. As in...COD in UK has officially sold more on PS5

It happened here and you are still fucking fighting a number...

41% PS5, 29% PS4....

let it go. 1 number is higher, that active, hardcore install base as spoken and its clear this is the beginning of that transition and not by a little either. You and I might have got Fifa or BF for last gen, but I doubt either of us plan to play those titles solely on last gen as I'm sure you'll play on next gen when you pick one up no different then when I get a hold of a PS5.
Last time we checked, there was 40+m ps+ monthly users. If we take 13m from it, you have 27m ps+ for the ps4. That is still shows ps4 active users.

If ps5 had higher active users, Sony would have had low ps+ users.
Even if we include family members, ps4 would still have more ps+ users.

You are under assumption that millions of ps4 users suddenly throw away their ps4, and bought a ps5. Even a 50m ps4 users can't have a ps5, since ps5 is 13m total as of now.

I don’t care for the stat because it’s stupid. Physical sales in 2021 is a fraction of the market in a tiny UK market to begin with. It’s about as meaningless a metric as you could dream up.

These threads are thinly disguised console warrioring IMO. It’s tiresome.

But whether it's a UK sales thread or not, fanboys are always around. Just ignore them. Why should we not have sales threads because of them? What about those who genuinely want to discuss these things? Sick of fragile fanboys bitching about everything and always stamping out honest discussion.

EDMIX

Last time we checked, there was 40+m ps+ monthly users. If we take 13m from it, you have 27m ps+ for the ps4. That is still shows ps4 active users.

None of that matters when majority buy COD on PS5 vs PS4.

It shows that active base is moving over to PS5....

You are under assumption that millions of ps4 users suddenly throw away their ps4
?? Never said anything like that, but to resort to fucking just making shit up JUST to argue....smh. sad..

So....you need to let that go man, its only going to continue to go higher as time goes on. You can keep screaming PS Plus numbers till your blue in the face, COD sold better on PS5....its clear the active base is shifting....let it go. Even I continued to get my PS Plus games on PS3 after PS4 came out and I got PS4 day 1, got BF4 day 1 etc..so I would be counted with those PS3 users as I actually played many PS3 games even then, but my main system was still PS4.

Have a good one.

Shmunter

Those game publishers have the data.

If they relied on those physical sales, like the UK, then pc would get 0 games.

In reality, those publishers make more selling their games digital.
1: they don't lose their digital copies, like physical copies. 2nd: they don't wait too long for their copies to sell. 3rd: it costs less money to put your games digital, compared to physical.

With all these points, game publishers can see how much they make from these platforms. With Xbox embracing digital sales, and PlayStation beginning to accept digital sales, they don't have to worry about anything.

EA is clear example of this case. They opened their own store, and weren't selling that much, so they moved to steam. Its like putting your games in gamestop, hoping people will buy it, compared to putting it on ps store, where customers can directly buy it from without a hassle.

Also gamepass is much better value for these publishers. They get MS bag. After 1 year deal, people will buy it. They also get from platforms which doesn't have gamepass.

I am a pc gamer. I can buy any steam game I want now, granted its not removed from the system. Some of that revenue goes to the publisher, if they are still selling.
There are wholistic sales released occasionally for shareholders. Can’t recall which publisher released a breakdown of their revenue per platform not too long ago…Ubisoft? They includes physical, digital micro transactions etc.

kingfey

Banned
There are wholistic sales released occasionally for shareholders. Can’t recall which publisher released a breakdown of their revenue per platform not too long ago…Ubisoft? They includes physical, digital micro transactions etc.
It was ubisoft. It had 34% on Playstation.

Call of Duty is on the decline and Vanguard reviewed relatively poorly.

The BF beta turned a lot of people off, myself included.

The Halo open beta was met with almost universal praise.

Halo is less than a month away and 4.5+ million people are playing Fora Horizon 5.

You cannot just say "Game Pass is cannibalizing sales!" without taking the above into consideration. Nobody is thinking "why pay for COD when I can play Moonglow Bay for free?"

kingfey

Banned
None of that matters when majority buy COD on PS5 vs PS4.

It shows that active base is moving over to PS5....

?? Never said anything like that, but to resort to fucking just making shit up JUST to argue....smh. sad..

So....you need to let that go man, its only going to continue to go higher as time goes on. You can keep screaming PS Plus numbers till your blue in the face, COD sold better on PS5....its clear the active base is shifting....let it go. Even I continued to get my PS Plus games on PS3 after PS4 came out and I got PS4 day 1, got BF4 day 1 etc..so I would be counted with those PS3 users as I actually played many PS3 games even then, but my main system was still PS4.

Have a good one.
Here
Unless my eyes are shit.

Our topic here is UK COD. General CoD is strong in US.

UK has 1m ps5 consoles. I have been repeating this nonstop. No way cod will have higher base on ps5 with those ps5 numbers.

Your higher sale number is coming from 100k vanguard retail sales for all consoles. Not even 400k.

Now tell me, if I am wrong or not?

kingfey

Banned
Call of Duty is on the decline and Vanguard reviewed relatively poorly.

The BF beta turned a lot of people off, myself included.

The Halo open beta was met with almost universal praise.

Halo is less than a month away and 4.5+ million people are playing Fora Horizon 5.

You cannot just say "Game Pass is cannibalizing sales!" without taking the above into consideration. Nobody is thinking "why pay for COD when I can play Moonglow Bay for free?"
I think it has to do with warzone. Why pay 70$, when you have warzone free.

70$ and free warzone makes it harder to sell. Then you have all these new about the state of the game during production.

kingfey

Banned
Yeah, exactly. I forgot about Warzone!
They could just make warzone cod series. Instead of making new games, just upgrade warzone. That thing still makes more money for them, compared to cod games. 10m buying 10$ season for 3 month is enough to hit $300m.

Scrap that.

Call of Duty: Warzone reportedly makes $5.2 million in revenue per day. CoD is a money-printing machine. Call of Duty: Warzone is raking in over $5.2 million per day, according to a new study by NetBet.Aug 11, 2021

At that math, that is $150m a month, or $1.8b a year.

EDMIX

No way cod will have higher base on ps5 with those ps5 numbers.

Yet its likely to have that world wide by this time next year. UK COD players might just be more hype lol

So its already happneing man, the shift is literally being done right in front of you. I see no reason to even waste all this energy arguing about PS4, if the hardcore active base wants it on PS5 and the numbers represent that.....thats just what it is. I don't even know what other proof you'd really need man..

kingfey

Banned
Yet its likely to have that world wide by this time next year. UK COD players might just be more hype lol

So its already happneing man, the shift is literally being done right in front of you. I see no reason to even waste all this energy arguing about PS4, if the hardcore active base wants it on PS5 and the numbers represent that.....thats just what it is. I don't even know what other proof you'd really need man..
I dont see that shift with those 100k retail sales man, and with that 1m ps5. Its just impossible until, UK have more ps5 shipment, which we know would be hard, due to supply constraints.

These ps4 will still be with us, and Activision will still release cross gen COD.

Now, if you talk about overall ps5, then I can agree with you. Since over all ps5 is 13m. I can see ps5 having 1m cod players. But not for the UK market. Math tells different story.

Three

I don’t care for the stat because it’s stupid. Physical sales in 2021 is a fraction of the market in a tiny UK market to begin with. It’s about as meaningless a metric as you could dream up.

These threads are thinly disguised console warrioring IMO. It’s tiresome.
You can make an argument with facts about digital or other countries even or actual data about the claims you're making but calling the UK, Xbox's second largest market a tiny market just so you can cope with the result is actually what's tiresome. If you think there isn't anything of value in the thread there is an easy solution: Don't enter the thread.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
The whole Xbox model is built around digital, rightly or wrongly, if you can’t see that… actually, I’m not going to finish that sentence, because anyone with a brain can see that.

These threads should all be in one IMO, instead of cluttering up the board with this skewed nonsense every time a game releases. It’s effectively the same as sucking on a pacifier for fanboys. Comforting I’m sure, but ultimately pointless.

As long as they keep being posted I’m free to keep saying as much.
That's not evidence, just empty words 😁. What do you think Playstation and the PSN is built around by the way lol.

And? Were you expecting %50/50? Did you guys suck at solving math problems at high school?
I think literally everyone was expecting something like 60/40%. I thought COD was huge on both consoles, so people probably expected closer results despite the user base difference. Maybe Forza tampered with the sales a little as well? People waiting for Halo?

Last edited:
If that helps to make the units maths.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
Retail: ~362.000
Digital: ~314.000
Total: ~676.000

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Retail: ~130.000
-- PS4: ~51.200
-- XBO: ~44.700
-- PS5: ~22.300
-- XBS: ~11.800
Digital: ~436.000
-- XBO+XBS: ~240.000
-- PS4: ~196.000
Total: ~566.000

Vanguard
Retail: ~100k
Wasn't call of duty at it's peak doing 1.5 million plus launch week in the UK?

Isn't Modern Warfare 2019 the best selling Call of Duty ever.

Do you know were the sales have gone? US picking up the slack or games having a longer tail than before?

There was certainly no Playstation domination happening during the Xbox 360 years in the UK

The PS3 came out a year later and costing 200£ more and still ended up outselling Xbox 360 in the end. If that's not a testament on how Playstation dominates in there, i don't know what is. It simply didn't do record numbers that gen when compared to all others.

ethomaz

Banned
Wasn't call of duty at it's peak doing 1.5 million plus launch week in the UK?

Isn't Modern Warfare 2019 the best selling Call of Duty ever.

Do you know were the sales have gone? US picking up the slack or games having a longer tail than before?
I'm not sure what is the peak in UK but remember that digital PC sales are not included... so probably with PC it was around 1 million or more.

Last edited:

yup, gamepass means less need to buy games but we shall see over time if it turns into a phone choice difference where more people with iPhones purchase more apps than android users and developers take more time optimizing games on each platform.

If Microsoft takes care of developers and pays them properly I can see this being a success but I don't believe it is a huge money maker just yet for MS. Microsoft tried the subscription model on Office but changed back but that is a completely different thing as users of Office want a one time purchase but business users I think are stuck with yearly payments, not too sure on this though.

I have gamepass for 2 more years on the $1 deal but when that runs out I don't think I will subscribe as I don't really want a whole bunch of everything, I want to play what I like and I don't even remember the last time I played a free game I got on PSN either. I buy what I want to play.

Swift_Star

Banned
For me personally owning both a PS5 and XSX I can tell you I passed on COD this year because Halo is coming and currently playing Forza Horizon 5 and willing to bet money Halo has a lot to do with lack of sales on Xbox for COD
I really think you’re mistaken, I don’t think both publics overlap. That’s like saying people skipped assassin’s creed because of Ghost of Tsushima and we know that didn’t happen.

Xbox has punchcards, if you preorder or purchased digital Games like Battlefield and Call Of Duty you'll eligible for 6k reward points.. Don't forget Sony prevented 3rd party retailers from selling PlayStation digital games code... While you can purchase Xbox digital games at GameStop etc...

I really think you’re mistaken, I don’t think both publics overlap. That’s like saying people skipped assassin’s creed because of Ghost of Tsushima and we know that didn’t happen.
Very possible it sure wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong.

Just saying it’s how I feel if there wouldn’t have been other choices this fall I probably would have ended up buying COD but having other options for me puts COD odd man out this year.

I'm tired but there is none even that the split is the same ... especially since globally the PS5 Digital has sold +/- 17% of the version with the disc and the SS sold 47% of the SX

Sorry, I'm a little confused by your wording. Are you saying there is no difference in PS5 versus PS4 split for physical versus digital games because that's what we're discussing.

Top Bottom