• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

70% of Call of Duty: Vanguard's UK launch physical sales were on PlayStation platforms

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Isn’t halo included with gamepass and the multiplayer free to play? Were we not provided data that gamepass make people buy more games?
Well the ultimate edition of FH5 has shown the game has probibly already paid for itself so there is a point to that

Urban

Xbox family will become a GP only system. I’m wondering how much Halo will sell ? Maybe 3 mio

this month Xbox users are waiting for halo... and it doesn't look like the new cod and bf are good games.
Beer Salute GIF

Like how you single out these two, but think Halo will be a good game.

I've played some Vanguard MP and Campaign. Def good game, and what I hear from those who played it too is almost all praise.

Its because we are in the digital age now.

And this only impacts the overall digital versus physical split. There's no evidence to support the split between platforms for physical versus digital games to be any different.

Ps5 physical will still sell more, since ps5 is new console.

This sounds like a non-sequitur. PS5 being a new console means new games will sell more than on PS4, but that doesn't mean the digital versus physical split for Ps5 versus PS4 will be different.

You seem to be conflating two different arguments.

Xbox still have gamepass, so people will buy it digital.

COD isn't on GP and so I'm not sure how this is seen as relevant.

Call of duty in general are digital, since most content are digital.

Yes, and this will only impact the split between digital versus physical sales. There's no indication that the platform sales split will differ between physical and digital, and that's what I'm questioning, i.e. your assumption that the PS5 : PS4 split will be different for digital sales than we see here for physical sales of the same game across the two platofrms.

Last edited:

yazenov

For me personally owning both a PS5 and XSX I can tell you I passed on COD this year because Halo is coming and currently playing Forza Horizon 5 and willing to bet money Halo has a lot to do with lack of sales on Xbox for COD

The split is similar for most 3rd party games. Its usually 70 to 80 % percent in favor of PS.

I would have guessed that the 1st person shoot bang games would be more leaning towards the Xbox consumers taste but apparently not. People on Xbox love their Gamepass which leads to less software purchases, contrary to claims that it increases games sales.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
And this only impacts the overall digital versus physical split. There's no evidence to support the split between platforms for physical versus digital games to be any different.

I'm tired but there is none even that the split is the same ... especially since globally the PS5 Digital has sold +/- 17% of the version with the disc and the SS sold 47% of the SX

In the boxed games sector, yes.

When all publishers reveal their overall sales Sony is usually social distancing from Xbox. That always includes digital as well.

Fortnite's overall revenue was 46,5% on PS4 and 27% on Xbox One between between March 2018 and July 2020. This was before the new gen started as well obviously.

Sounds like it's not that far from the market split for the COD Black Ops physical sales in the UK? (let's not forget Fortnite is out in more platforms obviously). I'm comparing physical sales with Fortnite because of the mith that on 2021 Sony users don't buy digital stuff which is obviously not true.

I don't remember the last time we had a publisher saying they got more revenue from Xbox.

ZehDon

Beer Salute GIF

Like how you single out these two, but think Halo will be a good game.

I've played some Vanguard MP and Campaign. Def good game, and what I hear from those who played it too is almost all praise.
All three have been played and understood at this point, so this opinion is pretty common.

Vanguard's reviews are very lacklustre, and the general feedback I've seen across the internet is that it just feels tired.
Battlefield 2042's primary mode has so many design issues that its basically a non-starter. The success of the game is almost entirely hinging on its Portal mode. It's beta was a broken mess and destroyed a lot of the hype.
Halo Infinite's technical previews were met with universal praise ranging from the hardcore to the casual. It had very few issues, and it legitimately has a chance to be the best multiplayer of the series to date.

I'm skipping BF and COD in favour of Halo, and it's clear I'm not the only one.

wolffy71

Banned
Makes you wonder if Sony has sold more consoles than MS. Or maybe if theres a bunch if xbox missing disc drives. Weird, didnt see that coming.

Batiman

Banned
This is probably the only COD launch where I can say I don’t know anyone still interested in the series anymore.

Marvel

could never
Bought it digitally for Series X myself, though I am using a wingman XB converter so I can use my Dualsense on xbox.

Kerotan

Jimbo is blitzing home turf. We get more stock than other places in Europe.

Good play from sony, europe is locked to playstation the PS3 generation showed that, last place left is UK which I think they sold most last gen, but this gen gap is getting bigger.
Great to see it. Being from Europe myself and a country where the 360 was popular it's fantastic to see absolutely everybody on a ps4/5 these days. We've united under one banner.

kingfey

Banned

This sounds like a non-sequitur. PS5 being a new console means new games will sell more than on PS4, but that doesn't mean the digital versus physical split for Ps5 versus PS4 will be different.

You seem to be conflating two different arguments.
New Console. Ps5 is 1 years old, unlike ps4. People will want games for their new system. It happens to all new devices. Ps4 is 9 years at this point. People know they can buy the games digital. They got used to it.

Its new vs old argument in this case. Any physical game with ps5/xsx will sell fast, compared to ps4/x1.

COD isn't on GP and so I'm not sure how this is seen as relevant.
Series consoles had new games day1 on their system, compared to the ps5, which you had to buy the new games (Except ps+ games). Because of that, you spend most your time, downloading digital games. So you are more likely to buy the game digital, compared to ps5. Ps5 doesnt have a service like gamepass. So ps5 users will buy it physical. its normal behavior.

Its like a person who spend most of his time on the internet, will order his stuff online, compared to the person who doesnt spend on the internet that much.

Yes, and this will only impact the split between digital versus physical sales. There's no indication that the platform sales split will differ between physical and digital, and that's what I'm questioning, i.e. your assumption that the PS5 : PS4 split will be different for digital sales than we see here for physical sales of the same game across the two platofrms.
Ps5 has 1m for UK.

That was in 2018. So the numbers are alot.

Its why ps4/ps5 digital split is higher on ps4. Its normal math.

Also not every ps5 owner will buy cod. So cod ps5 owners is small. Add that to the ps5 digital existence, and you can see the gap between physical and digital. Same thing for the series console. Xss existence will make xbox physical game sales smaller.

By the end of 2020, 310,000 Xbox Series X and Series S had been sold in the UK. Xbox Series X and S were the best-selling consoles in the UK the month of January 2021. That was on January. It should be around 600k or higher at this moment.

Kerotan

This is probably the only COD launch where I can say I don’t know anyone still interested in the series anymore.
I've 173 psn friends and 78 preorded according to the store and 84 currently own it. I was amazed at that. Check the store and see what yours says.

For reference bf2042 has about 70 pre orders.

kingfey

Banned
If that helps to make the units maths.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
Retail: ~362.000
Digital: ~314.000
Total: ~676.000

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Retail: ~130.000
-- PS4: ~51.200
-- XBO: ~44.700
-- PS5: ~22.300
-- XBS: ~11.800
Digital: ~436.000
-- XBO+XBS: ~240.000
-- PS4: ~196.000
Total: ~566.000

Vanguard
Retail: ~100k
What do you think the digital split is?

So far, we know ps5 has 1m+ in the UK. do you think ps4 beats it on the digital department?

FrankWza

Halo Infinite's technical previews were met with universal praise ranging from the hardcore to the casual. It had very few issues, and it legitimately has a chance to be the best multiplayer of the series to date.

And free to play vs $70 has nothing to do with any of this?

Dane

Xbox sales figure has always been much higher on digital, even with Xbox One, and the split of XSX and XSS are speculated to be at 70:30 or even 65:35, while PS5 is 80:20 or less.

If you Xbox fans don’t like UK physical sales why do you always need to comment here then? You are crying about an official sales data report just because it doesn’t put your favorite console in a positive light. Oh well?

It’s not like digital will change change anything for Xbox. PlayStation has digital sales too. The sales difference would be about the same or bigger.

Physical media are still being sold. They matter for total sales data. You can’t ignore physical sales just as much as you can’t digital. If this was a digital only chart it wouldn’t be complete either. But it does give you some idea of the sales on all consoles.
If you don't like Xbox fans commenting on the thread, then why had it in the first place?

Thief1987

New Console. Ps5 is 1 years old, unlike ps4. People will want games for their new system. It happens to all new devices. Ps4 is 9 years at this point. People know they can buy the games digital. They got used to it.

Its new vs old argument in this case. Any physical game with ps5/xsx will sell fast, compared to ps4/x1.

Series consoles had new games day1 on their system, compared to the ps5, which you had to buy the new games (Except ps+ games). Because of that, you spend most your time, downloading digital games. So you are more likely to buy the game digital, compared to ps5. Ps5 doesnt have a service like gamepass. So ps5 users will buy it physical. its normal behavior.

Its like a person who spend most of his time on the internet, will order his stuff online, compared to the person who doesnt spend on the internet that much.

Ps5 has 1m for UK.

Also not every ps5 owner will buy cod. So cod ps5 owners is small. Add that to the ps5 digital existence, and you can see the gap between physical and digital. Same thing for the series console. Xss existence will make xbox physical game sales smaller.

By the end of 2020, 310,000 Xbox Series X and Series S had been sold in the UK. Xbox Series X and S were the best-selling consoles in the UK the month of January 2021. That was on January. It should be around 600k or higher at this moment.
Please someone tell me that this whole post is just some kind of copypasta

Lupin25

Ps5 has 1m for UK.

What are you talking about?

Call of Duty: Vanguard is not available on XGP. It’s not free for either platform.

You also can’t simply extrapolate, then presume a fabricated split in sales without the rest of the proper data, either.

This sales chart shows the extraordinary demand of the PS5 in this region.

Consumers are so fixated by the phenomena of the PS5, they’d rather wait until they receive their new next-gen hardware before purchasing the new game.

That’s power lol…

ethomaz

Banned
Xbox sales figure has always been much higher on digital, even with Xbox One, and the split of XSX and XSS are speculated to be at 70:30 or even 65:35, while PS5 is 80:20 or less.
Where are people getting that 80:20 for PS5.

The retailers that shared data are all over that… some 25:75, 30:70, 33:67, etc.

kingfey

Banned
What are you talking about?

Call of Duty: Vanguard is not available on XGP. It’s not free for either platform.

You also can’t simply extrapolate, then presume a fabricated split in sales without the rest of the proper data, either.

This sales chart shows the extraordinary demand of the PS5 in this region.

Consumers are so fixated by the phenomena of the PS5, they’d rather wait until they receive their new next-gen hardware before purchasing the new game.

That’s power lol…
Who tf said its on gamepass.

I said xbox players buy it digital, because they spend most of the time on gamepass, downloading digital games.

If you want to talk about sales, we would like to see the numbers vanguard did it both digital and physical. Until then, we will rely on how many numbers both consoles have, to determine the numbers.

Consumers buy new games. They dont wait for a console, which has been told it will be hard to get until 2023, due to shortages.

This isnt ps4/x1 era. Both consoles dont have enough consoles to satisfy their customers. Its why playstation is doing the cross gen, and xbox with xcloud.

Hezekiah

Banned
Again it's interesting how many more games PS5 owners are buying than PS4 owners (although some are obviously the same people), and how next-gen sold less on Xbox compared to current-gen.

I reckon BF2042 will be closer to CoD in terms of sales this time round.

Lupin25

I said xbox players buy it digital, because they spend most of the time on gamepass, downloading digital games.

If you want to talk about sales, we would like to see the numbers vanguard did it both digital and physical. Until then, we will rely on how many numbers both consoles have, to determine the numbers.

Consumers buy new games. They dont wait for a console, which has been told it will be hard to get until 2023, due to shortages.

This isnt ps4/x1 era. Both consoles dont have enough consoles to satisfy their customers. Its why playstation is doing the cross gen, and xbox with xcloud.

Lol you tell us why you responded to his comment acknowledging XGP?

Just because someone’s subscribed to XGP, it doesn’t mean they’re more likely to purchase digitally. In fact, maybe less purchases in general. Where’s your proof of data?

Purchasing digital has been a growing trend regardless.

Also, you generalize way too much.

I and many others waited on a PS5 before playing many titles, so assuming that’s not the case “at all” for anyone is ridiculous lol.

The sales here are indicative of this. Why wouldn’t someone want to play their favourite games on better performing hardware? The holidays are right around the corner. There’s every reason to wait.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Lol you tell us why you responded to his comment acknowledging XGP?

Just because someone’s subscribed to XGP, it doesn’t mean they’re more likely to purchase digitally. In fact, maybe less purchases in general. Where’s your proof of data?

Purchasing digital has been a growing trend regardless.

Also, you generalize way too much.

I and many others waited on a PS5 before playing many titles, so assuming that’s not the case “at all” for anyone is ridiculous lol.

The sales here are indicative of this. Why wouldn’t someone want to play their favourite games on better performing hardware?
Are you dense? Honestly, are you this much dense? XGP buy tons of games. 1.5m people bought the premium fh5, before the official release. Despite the game being free on gamepass.
As for his comment, Again, since you are dense, i was explaining to him, how xbox people the digital cod version, compared to the ps5 who buy the phsycial version. And yet, you dont understand it.

The sales here is shit, which doesnt really show anything at all. It shows the ps5, with low numbers compared to ps4 have more sales. Its why I dont take these UK threads very seriously. The math just doesn't add up.

as for playing better hardware, tell that to sony. The system is fucking hard to get. Even me on USA, is having a hard time getting one. Its been 1 year, and its still selling out fast.

Incase you still dont get how hard it is to get it.
The PS5 has surpassed 1 million units sold in the UK, after just 39 weeks. This makes it PlayStation's fastest-selling console in UK history.Sep 28, 2021

That is how much it sold. There isnt enough for UK. Do the Math for US, and other countries, considering the console sold 13m+ as of now.

kingfey

Banned
Again it's interesting how many more games PS5 owners are buying than PS4 owners (although some are obviously the same people), and how next-gen sold less on Xbox compared to current-gen.

I reckon BF2042 will be closer to CoD in terms of sales this time round.
Dont fall for this nonsense. There are less ps5 owners compared to ps4. The sales on ps4 is higher. At this point, it will be digital sales.

Here is the estimates.
If that helps to make the units maths.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
Retail: ~362.000
Digital: ~314.000
Total: ~676.000

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Retail: ~130.000
-- PS4: ~51.200
-- XBO: ~44.700
-- PS5: ~22.300
-- XBS: ~11.800
Digital: ~436.000
-- XBO+XBS: ~240.000
-- PS4: ~196.000
Total: ~566.000

Vanguard
Retail: ~100k

Ps4 is still the king. It should have the higher number for vanguard, unless 80% of ps5 owners in UK play Vanguard only.

Hezekiah

Banned
Dont fall for this nonsense. There are less ps5 owners compared to ps4. The sales on ps4 is higher. At this point, it will be digital sales.

Here is the estimates.

Ps4 is still the king. It should have the higher number for vanguard, unless 80% of ps5 owners in UK play Vanguard only.
If you look at other games like Miles Morales, apparently more copies have been sold on PS5 than on PS4, so who knows what the split is.

So ridiculous. Xbox is clearly a more digitally focussed product. Clearly. Do we really need these endless vaguely disguised console war threads that are basically reruns of the last discussion?

kingfey

Banned
If you look at other games like Miles Morales, apparently more copies have been sold on PS5 than on PS4, so who knows what the split is.
Miles is exception. That game was marketed heavily for ps5. Vanguard is COD. And there are still cod players on old gen.

This is fifa 22

People are still buying for old gen. Considering both ps5 and xbox have 21m total. Fifa 22 should have 10%-20% of both new consoles. The rest would be pc, and old gen.

Hezekiah

Banned
So ridiculous. Xbox is clearly a more digitally focussed product. Clearly. Do we really need these endless vaguely disguised console war threads that are basically reruns of the last discussion?
Clearly. I mean it's clear, it's just there's no evidence.

Each of these threads focuses on a different time period/set of games. If you hate these threads, why do you come in here and post? Hundreds of others to post in, yet you're compelled to have a moan.

EDMIX

Are you dense? Honestly, are you this much dense? XGP buy tons of games. 1.5m people bought the premium fh5, before the official release. Despite the game being free on gamepass.
As for his comment, Again, since you are dense, i was explaining to him, how xbox people the digital cod version, compared to the ps5 who buy the phsycial version. And yet, you dont understand it.

The sales here is shit, which doesnt really show anything at all. It shows the ps5, with low numbers compared to ps4 have more sales. Its why I dont take these UK threads very seriously. The math just doesn't add up.

as for playing better hardware, tell that to sony. The system is fucking hard to get. Even me on USA, is having a hard time getting one. Its been 1 year, and its still selling out fast.

Incase you still dont get how hard it is to get it.
The PS5 has surpassed 1 million units sold in the UK, after just 39 weeks. This makes it PlayStation's fastest-selling console in UK history.Sep 28, 2021

That is how much it sold. There isnt enough for UK. Do the Math for US, and other countries, considering the console sold 13m+ as of now.

Look..I don't disagree with some of your points but stop attacking people on here man smh.
Lupin25 Lupin25 brings up many great points, so do you btw, but the point they bring up about you generalizing too much is completely true.

The lolz, Halo is not touching BF and COD sir...you can skip them, you can favor Halo and have your friends favor it too, but I don't see that happening and I don't see anything that is some brand new revolutionary thing that we should take note of simply cause you skipping those games, thats nice bud....you can still anything, doesn't change the fact that COD is likely to move like 30 mill though lol Keep in mind, I say this as a BF fan. Just cause I favor BF, doesn't mean anyone I know skipping COD is some magical fucking sign of something...its nothing bud, COD will outsell BF just like it will outsell Halo. I see nothing changing that at the movement based on you or me or something lol
Ps4 is still the king. It should have the higher number for vanguard,
nahhhhhhhhhh Not even remotely.

Its not what you think.

100 million is units sold, its not ACTIVE units, as in that doesn't account for people who have sold it, own more then 1 or who also own a PS5. As someone looking to get a PS5 likely sometime next year, I can tell you several games I'm holding off on getting to play on PS5. BF I'm actually getting day 1 or on holiday, but intend to play most of it on PS5 next year when I get more time, so I understand why you'd see higher sales on PS5, its the active base by the hardcore who play those MP titles the way they do and want the BEST system to play it on. So its not that shocking that number is in favor of PS5 and not PS4. That made a bit of sense last year, that makes less sense a year later. Many might also buy a PS5 copy with the intent to get a PS5 during the holiday...

Agreed.

I myself am waiting to get a PS5 to even buy that game

If you think these Sony cross-gen games were just casually planned as cross-gen last minute due to Covid-19 and the chip shortage you couldn't be more wrong.
You don't simply plan those things a year before release. That's not how it works.
Level design alone would need a huge adaptation to that old Jaguar inside that PS4 in comparison to PS5's hardware (plus developing exclusively with SSDs in mind vs HDD from the PS4). There's just too many compromises to make to simply tell a developer "oh btw, this will need a PS4 version by release as well" a year ahead.
God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo specially scream cross-gen games even by looking at the PS5 version for a reason. This wasn't decided in 2020 or 2021.

Also...saying consumers don't wait for hardware to buy games...why do you think Miles Morales is always Top 10 when the PS5 gets more stock and leaves the charts when it isn't? The game is also on the PS4...why aren't people buying that version when there's no PS5 stock? They are clearly waiting to get the game on the PS5 even if they could get it before on the PS4.

Clearly. I mean it's clear, it's just there's no evidence.

Each of these threads focuses on a different time period/set of games. If you hate these threads, why do you come in here and post? Hundreds of others to post in, yet you're compelled to have a moan.
The whole Xbox model is built around digital, rightly or wrongly, if you can’t see that… actually, I’m not going to finish that sentence, because anyone with a brain can see that.

These threads should all be in one IMO, instead of cluttering up the board with this skewed nonsense every time a game releases. It’s effectively the same as sucking on a pacifier for fanboys. Comforting I’m sure, but ultimately pointless.

As long as they keep being posted I’m free to keep saying as much.

The whole Xbox model is built around digital, rightly or wrongly, if you can’t see that… actually, I’m not going to finish that sentence, because anyone with a brain can see that.

These threads should all be in one IMO, instead of cluttering up the board with this skewed nonsense every time a game releases. It’s effectively the same as sucking on a pacifier for fanboys. Comforting I’m sure, but ultimately pointless.

As long as they keep being posted I’m free to keep saying as much.

Just be honest. Would you be saying the same thing if it was xbox with 70% split? See that's the problem with all you guys complaining. Its pure hypocritical. You moan about fanboys yet its only because you, yourselves are fanboys.

Last edited:
Just be honest. Would you be saying the same thing if it was xbox with 70% split? See that's the problem with all you guys complaining. Its pure hypocritical. You moan about fanboys yet its only because you, yourselves are fanboys.
I don’t care for the stat because it’s stupid. Physical sales in 2021 is a fraction of the market in a tiny UK market to begin with. It’s about as meaningless a metric as you could dream up.

These threads are thinly disguised console warrioring IMO. It’s tiresome.

Top Bottom