• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

70% of Call of Duty: Vanguard's UK launch physical sales were on PlayStation platforms

New Console. Ps5 is 1 years old, unlike ps4. People will want games for their new system. It happens to all new devices. Ps4 is 9 years at this point. People know they can buy the games digital. They got used to it.

Its new vs old argument in this case. Any physical game with ps5/xsx will sell fast, compared to ps4/x1.

Series consoles had new games day1 on their system, compared to the ps5, which you had to buy the new games (Except ps+ games). Because of that, you spend most your time, downloading digital games. So you are more likely to buy the game digital, compared to ps5. Ps5 doesnt have a service like gamepass. So ps5 users will buy it physical. its normal behavior.

Its like a person who spend most of his time on the internet, will order his stuff online, compared to the person who doesnt spend on the internet that much.

Ps5 has 1m for UK.

That was in 2018. So the numbers are alot.

Its why ps4/ps5 digital split is higher on ps4. Its normal math.

Also not every ps5 owner will buy cod. So cod ps5 owners is small. Add that to the ps5 digital existence, and you can see the gap between physical and digital. Same thing for the series console. Xss existence will make xbox physical game sales smaller.

By the end of 2020, 310,000 Xbox Series X and Series S had been sold in the UK. Xbox Series X and S were the best-selling consoles in the UK the month of January 2021. That was on January. It should be around 600k or higher at this moment.

None of your justifications supports your conclusions. You're making guesses at best.

I don't even think they're bad guesses, but we have to recognise that they're guesses.

Like I said, intuitively you would think the significantly larger PS4 installed base would mean significantly larger sales on the legacy platform, but the sales data we have for physical sales flies in the face of that.

So your logical assumptions about the split of digital games for PS5 versus PS4, while fairly well reasoned, are only intuitive assumptions which may very well prove to be untrue as we see with the data on physical sales for COD vanguard.

kingfey

Banned
None of your justifications supports your conclusions. You're making guesses at best.

I don't even think they're bad guesses, but we have to recognise that they're guesses.

Like I said, intuitively you would think the significantly larger PS4 installed base would mean significantly larger sales on the legacy platform, but the sales data we have for physical sales flies in the face of that.

So your logical assumptions about the split of digital games for PS5 versus PS4, while fairly well reasoned, are only intuitive assumptions which may very well prove to be untrue as we see with the data on physical sales for COD vanguard.
100k retail sales for all platforms.
That is what makes your ps5 sales bigger. That is the data that makes ps5 seems bigger.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
More playstations in the UK = more sales in the UK. It's elementary my dear Watson!

I have zero 0 interest in Sledgehammer Games' COD Vanguard. Halo and BF2042 is coming. For my COD fix I just play Warzone, which (albeit hackers) is better than Cold War and Vanguard put together and is free.

Good for you those who still buy and enjoy COD each year but my attention has been mainly on New World, Halo and FFXIV Endwalker (which will probably end my New World career).

kingfey

Banned
So you're arguing that the sales split will be vastly different with a larger sample size?

I guess we'll see.
Yes. Because at 100k, ps5 will have advantage, due to being new console. At 500k, is where we will see a change. That result will skew to ps4, due to ps5 being at 1m for uk. The higher the numbers, the more ps4 will take the lead.

No matter how much cod players are on ps5, that 1m is the limit.

Within one month of its debut, Black Ops Cold War had shipped at least 5.7 million units. Naturally, that number has increased a lot since then as the game has constantly ranked as one of the highest-selling titles of 2021.Aug 17, 2021

If we take cold war numbers, we can determine the ps4 lead to be significant higher.

Last edited:
So ridiculous. Xbox is clearly a more digitally focussed product. Clearly. Do we really need these endless vaguely disguised console war threads that are basically reruns of the last discussion?
Do you have any evidence that more digital sales happen on Xbox than on PS4 / PS5 currently?
Saying Xbox is "clearly a more digitally focussed product" and then posting no evidence on that is...weird?
What makes Sony platforms more physical-oriented platforms? Didn't they used to have free multiplayer? Weren't they were the first ones to have a cloud-based subscription service?

We had one article in 2016 that said Xbox users spent more money online. That was it. It's been half a decade since then.

You got games like Fortnite with half of its revenue coming from Sony consoles while on Xbox in around 26%. I'm sure almost all of that revenue is digital.

Last edited:
Yes. Because at 100k, ps5 will have advantage, due to being new console. At 500k, is where we will see a change. That result will skew to ps4, due to ps5 being at 1m for uk. The higher the numbers, the more ps4 will take the lead..

What are these, i.e. 100k and 500k, thresholds based on?

Seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Flutta

Banned
So ridiculous. Xbox is clearly a more digitally focussed product. Clearly. Do we really need these endless vaguely disguised console war threads that are basically reruns of the last discussion?

So stop every sales, metric thread on all plattforms? Or is this just because its about PS destroying Xbox in UK?
Stop crying like a lill bitch. New game new sales data. You dont like it there’s the door 🚪.

Sad Cry GIF by Team Coco

100k is vanguard retail. 500K was cold war retail. And ps4 dominated that list.

Yes but Cold War was when PS5 had barely launched and there were far less consoles available for purchase (and thus owned by users) in the UK.

It's entirely reasonable given the circumstances to assume the PS4 would have dominated both digital and physical sales last year.

It's less reasonable (by my estimation) to assume the same will happen again when hardware availability constraints for PS5 are less limited and what limited early data we have skews radically in favour of the PS5 versus its legacy platform.

But I guess we'll see as more sales data comes in.

ethomaz

Banned
100k is vanguard retail. 500K was cold war retail. And ps4 dominated that list.
Cold War retail at launch was 130k.

The sample is around the same the difference is that now we have way more PS5 on people hands than in 2020.

Plus 2020 the retail PS5 copies were from people that wanted to buy PS5 (or have preordered it) because Cold War was released for PS5 a week before the console in UK.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Cold War retail at launch was 130k.

The sample is around the same the difference is that now we have way more PS5 on people hands than in 2020.

Plus 2020 the retail PS5 copies were from people that wanted to buy PS5 (or have preordered it) because Cold War was released for PS5 a week before the console in UK.
Do you think Ps5 would have the advantage right now, with that limited consoles that it has right now?

I agree. The retail sales aren’t just a result of install base. Xbox users simply buy less games on avg due to gamepass being a compelling alternative.

in saying that, it is interesting to see how the traditional models are being effected over time..

Damn Gamepass guess we now know what happend to Demons Souls and returnal and Ratchet and Kena and Gho… oh wait.

MonarchJT

Banned
Sorry, I'm a little confused by your wording. Are you saying there is no difference in PS5 versus PS4 split for physical versus digital games because that's what we're discussing.
I'm saying that PS5 sold most in disc version meanwhile Sx and SS basically sold 50% and 50%
so i Exped Digital Sales being higher on that side

Last edited:
I'm saying that PS5 sold most in disc version meanwhile Sx and SS basically sold 50% and 50%
so i Exped Digital Sales being higher on that side

The Xbox side was never under contention.

I was arguing whether a split between PS5 vs PS4 would differ between physical and digital versions of the same game.

The PS3 came out a year later and costing 200£ more and still ended up outselling Xbox 360 in the end. If that's not a testament on how Playstation dominates in there, i don't know what is. It simply didn't do record numbers that gen when compared to all others.
This is a UK thread, did the PS3 outsell the 360 in the UK. Look at Spain for an example of a dominant PlayStation market over Xbox.

I was responding to the PlayStation being dominant over the Xbox for decades in the UK which is not true. The UK was and still is a strong Xbox market when compared to the rest of Europe.

ethomaz

Banned
Do you think Ps5 would have the advantage right now, with that limited consoles that it has right now?
Yes at least on Retail.
It is probably around 1.5m userbase and that gives enough users to have a big slice of the retail sales.

41k copies sold at retail for a 1.5m userbase looks normal even ignoring the digital users only.

What the numbers tells us is that most of people that buys CoD at retail already migrated from PS4 to PS5.

Last edited:

iHaunter

Vanguard
- 41% PS5,
- 29% PS4
- 19 % Xbox One
- 11% Xbox Series X/S

Black Ops
- 17% PS5
- 39% PS4
- 34% Xbox One
- 9% Xbox Series X/S
I wonder why some games favor PS5 vs PS4? So strange? Is there an association with a franchise and console?

xHunter

Please someone tell me that this whole post is just some kind of copypasta
You are talking to the guy that made this post:
Sony games are great no doubt. But they are single player games, stuck in 1 formula. I want different take for their games. Like stop these story nonsense, and focus more on gameplay. I dont want to see these cinematic moments.

Plus their games really show the problem, when you play 3-4 games at the same time. Its same gameplay, different skin. I have no idea the difference between God of war, spiderman and uncharted, when you play them all together.
He will say anything for his favourite piece of plastic.

twilo99

Jimbo is blitzing home turf. We get more stock than other places in Europe.

Good play from sony, europe is locked to playstation the PS3 generation showed that, last place left is UK which I think they sold most last gen, but this gen gap is getting bigger.

Huge win.

Top Bottom