• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80%+ of Horizon Forbidden West's sales across Europe were not part of a bundle

Mentioned by Chris on Twitter. He's the one that writes all articles from GamesIndustry.biz each week for UK sales and each month for European's sales.

Hopefully another rumor dies down on Gaf that most of this game's sales were from bundles, when less than 20% of them were, lol.

This was something that a lot of players from other platforms have been mentioning since the game released early last year for some reason.

RickSanchez

Mentioned by Chris on Twitter. He's the one that writes all articles from GamesIndustry.biz each week for UK sales and each month for European's sales.

Hopefully another rumor dies down on Gaf that most of this game's sales were from bundles, when less than 20% of them were, lol.

This was something that a lot of players from other platforms have been mentioning since the game released early last year for some reason.

i did not even know such a myth existed.

Also, Forbidden West is a fucking great game.

kick in nuts GIF

Always weird to me people downplay games selling with bundles anyway. So about 15-20% of the games sales were from bundles. I'm sure a decent chunk of those people were interested in the game anyway.

Like maybe it's just me. But I'm not buying a bundle with a game I'm not interested in unless it's basically included for free (which I don't believe was the case for Horizon, but maybe wrong on that).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Europe has good taste. It's my goty. The most incredible technical achievement for a game ever done tbh. Its insane how not many talk about its visuals.
It's definitely a looker. Still, IMO, the best looking game out there, open world to boot.

But one thing I will comment on that is very underrated in the game and does not get much attention, is the sound design and music. Especially the hot mechanical synthy sounds in the music change when you get into battle with machines.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Still haven't finished it as I found it so bloody boring but good on Horizon for keeping the general public entertained none the less.

DaGwaphics

Always weird to me people downplay games selling with bundles anyway. So about 15-20% of the games sales were from bundles. I'm sure a decent chunk of those people were interested in the game anyway.

Like maybe it's just me. But I'm not buying a bundle with a game I'm not interested in unless it's basically included for free (which I don't believe was the case for Horizon, but maybe wrong on that).

I'm not for or against bundles, they can be a great value. But, I don't think the bundle sales necessarily represent a real interest in the pack-in game, especially when the system is still in the hard-to-get phase. Basically if you want the system and the version you can buy is the bundle, you get the bundle.

Ar¢tos

I got the game as part of a forced retailer bundle on top of the official GoWR bundle.
I guess those count as "individual" sales and not bundle sale...
(ps5 GoWR edition + physical hfw + physical tlou part 1)

Last edited:
It's definitely a looker. Still, IMO, the best looking game out there, open world to boot.

But one thing I will comment on that is very underrated in the game and does not get much attention, is the sound design and music. Especially the hot mechanical synthy sounds in the music change when you get into battle with machines.

Yeah I loved the soundtrack, I listen to it on spotify ocasionally.

skit_data

Yeah I loved the soundtrack, I listen to it on spotify ocasionally.
I like the game and the soundtrack too but it got destroyed a bit for me by tommib saying something along the lines of ”sounds like something you’d hear a middle-age woman doing yoga class put on” which was a pretty damn apt and funny way to put it IMO xD

Edit: wierd, he doesn’t show up when I tried tagging him

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Literally every sales charts with Horizon in it ends up on how it's all a part of bundles, specially from european charts.

Good for you for not paying attention to sales charts. I should do the same, lmao.

It's sad that the Xbox fanboy crowd NEEDS to believe that 1st party games don't matter to the success of a console SO badly that they've created that stupid narrative about Horizon: FW and the bundles crap.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's sad that the Xbox fanboy crowd NEEDS to believe that 1st party games don't matter to the success of a console SO badly that they've created that stupid narrative about Horizon: FW and the bundles crap.
Don't worry. That narrative will do a complete 180 when those games start dropping on their platform of worship. Much like how they now love anemic boxes that are supposed to last the next 4-5 years, game streaming, and cinematic walky talky movie game adventures.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

It’s been my favourite game since the PS5 has launched. The gameplay, story, lore and soundtrack are phenomenal.

Glad to see the stupid narratives surrounding it getting destroyed.

Yes! I haven't played Elden Ring and GoW Ragnarok underwhelmed me, so Forbidden West is basically my personal 2022 GotY

FingerBang

Well deserved. I rarely change my mind after playing a game, but Forbidden West went to "meh, more of the same" to "fuck, this shit is amazing".

It's just so slow at the beginning, I can see why it failed to generate much buzz once Elden Ring released after a week. It was really unfortunate.

RickSanchez

Well deserved. I rarely change my mind after playing a game, but Forbidden West went to "meh, more of the same" to "fuck, this shit is amazing".

It's just so slow at the beginning, I can see why it failed to generate much buzz once Elden Ring released after a week. It was really unfortunate.

I guess Guerilla / Sony underestimated the potential overlap of the target audience for the two games, and frankly so did i. I did not think Forbidden West players would simply move to Elden Ring en-masse, because it is such a different game.

But yes, Forbidden West is fucking amazing, and Aloy is......

Hell Yeah Success GIF by Naughty Dog

FingerBang

I guess Guerilla / Sony underestimated the potential overlap of the target audience for the two games, and frankly so did i. I did not think Forbidden West players would simply move to Elden Ring en-masse, because it is such a different game.

But yes, Forbidden West is fucking amazing, and Aloy is......

Hell Yeah Success GIF by Naughty Dog
Well, I did not buy Forbidden West because Elden Ring was coming out and I knew there was not time for me to play the former in one week. I ended up buying it 6 months later and played it properly only in December, after finishing GOW Ragnarok.

I'm not a big fan of Aloy's personality and the characters of the game in general, but the gameplay and graphics are top notch and there's a lot to like. I feel it's really underrated and I'm happy it did well. Looking forward to the next gen exclusive DLC!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

It's funny when people say this, because it's one of the world's best selling games in 2022 and was nominated for many gaming awards last year. It just didn't "win" many.

Last edited:

Pelta88

It's sad but kinda hilarious that this basic fact needs clarification.

There's a segment of gamers that live in a realm where Playstation's quality is really a conspiracy. In that particular rabbit hole, PlayStation will face a backlash for upping the price of their exclusives while at the very same time, their games are only being sold in $500/£500 console bundles.

Truly strange shit.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's sad but kinda hilarious that this basic fact needs clarification.

There's a segment og gamers that live in a realm where Playstation's quality is really a conspiracy. In that particular rabbit hole, PlayStation will face a backlash for upping the price of their exclusives while at the very same time, their games are only being sold in $500/£500 console bundles.

Truly strange shit.
Don't worry. That narrative is now retired since it's $70 now for you know who and their recent bundle of a 2021 game.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
When Sony released bundles and the game was hitting the top of the sales charts, haters assumed it was putting up huge numbers. What they didn't know is that it doesn't take much to make it to the top of the sales charts in the UK.

Horizon was probably selling around 2K per week when the bundles were released, which is very small in comparison to the first week sales, when it sold over 100k.

Top Bottom