• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80%+ of Horizon Forbidden West's sales across Europe were not part of a bundle

DaGwaphics

I've literally never seen nor heard this rumour, was it actually widespread?

Only if you are desperate to be a victim in one way or another. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I think there were a few posters that kept posting about it, but one or two guys does not make a meaningful rumor.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
People were saying Horizon Forbidden West flopped and it was only selling because of bundles.
I don't think we have sales numbers, but I seriously doubt it flopped. At worst, it underperformed - but it's been charting fine since last year I thought? I know Elden Ring kind of took its lunch money, but Elden Ring was a juggernaut - it took everyone's lunch money, and none of those other games were labelled as flops. The internet is funny.

Last edited:
I don't think we have sales numbers, but I seriously doubt it flopped. At worst, it underperformed - but it's been charting fine since last year I thought? I know Elden Ring kind of took its lunch money, but Elden Ring was a juggernaut - it took everyone's lunch money, and none of those other games were labelled as flops. The internet is funny.

Its the 8th best selling game of the year (without bundles), only really eclipsed by multiplatform titles, god of war and pokemon

November 2022 NPD: 20 best-selling games of 2022 so far​

RankLast
Month
Rank
All PlatformsPublisher
12Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (2022)Activision Blizzard (Corp)
21Elden RingBandai Namco Entertainment
34Madden NFL 23Electronic Arts
43LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker SagaWarner Bros. Interactive
5NEWGod of War RagnarökSony (Corp)
65Pokémon Legends: Arceus*Nintendo
7NEWPokémon Scarlet/Violet*Nintendo
86Horizon II: Forbidden WestSony (Corp)
98FIFA 23Electronic Arts
107MLB: The Show 22^Multiple Video Game Manufacturers
119Call of Duty: VanguardActivision Blizzard (Corp)
1210Gran Turismo 7Sony (Corp)
1311Mario Kart 8*Nintendo
1412Kirby and the Forgotten LandNintendo
1514Gotham KnightsWarner Bros. Interactive
1613MinecraftMultiple Video Game Manufacturers
1721NBA 2K23*Take-Two Interactive
1815Nintendo Switch Sports*Nintendo
1920Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles MoralesSony (Corp)
2022Animal Crossing: New Horizons*Nintendo

Last edited:

GHG

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
That this thread title turned into a multi layered indepth conspiracy esque console warrior playground makes me sad

Last edited:
That this thread title turned into a multi layered indepth conspiracy esque console warrior playground makes me sad
tf3zqAE.gif

I guess Guerilla / Sony underestimated the potential overlap of the target audience for the two games, and frankly so did i. I did not think Forbidden West players would simply move to Elden Ring en-masse, because it is such a different game.

But yes, Forbidden West is fucking amazing, and Aloy is......

Hell Yeah Success GIF by Naughty Dog
People forgot that prior to elden ring horizon zero dawn was bigger than any game FromSoftware game.

Games blow up like elden ring very rarely

It wouldn’t even surprised me if a couple years from now Horizon and Elden Rings LTD numbers end up pretty close together
I am not sure I think Forbidden west will continue to sell really well. May end up over 20 million again.

But elden ring seems to be at another level it at 17.5 million already. It could end up being the best selling game not named call of duty or GTA. I guess we will see!

There's been a weird, irrational reaction to Horizon ever since the first game launched. It goes up against two titans each time that not only doesn't kill it like some seem to think (hope) it does, but it actually quietly thrives ensuring we get another. While not my favorite Sony series, it's certainly a damn good one that holds it's own easily.

There's been a weird, irrational reaction to Horizon ever since the first game launched. It goes up against two titans each time that not only doesn't kill it like some seem to think (hope) it does, but it actually quietly thrives ensuring we get another. While not my favorite Sony series, it's certainly a damn good one that holds it's own easily.
The only explanation i can think of is that for people that are anti-sony its just one less franchise they have to worry about behind held over there heads. If they pretend its bad or ignored then they can also continue to ignore it.

Thats not really gonna work with like 15 different projects coming out for it though. Its gonna continue being eclipsed by slightly better games and continue making money for Sony

Horizon is pretty much Sonys Xenoblade

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's sad that the Xbox fanboy crowd NEEDS to believe that 1st party games don't matter to the success of a console SO badly that they've created that stupid narrative about Horizon: FW and the bundles crap.
Wouldn't that be the opposite? The game selling 1 million PS5's as part of a bundle is a bigger deal and implies more that exclusives are important to the success of a console than if it just sold 5 million copies to existing owners.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
The PS5 stock just recovering not long ago, So the 20% of bundles is not surprising.
Not to mention there may be quite a number of players interested in HFW so they just buy the bundle instead.

Pretty impressive sales.

Kupfer

Well deserved. I rarely change my mind after playing a game, but Forbidden West went to "meh, more of the same" to "fuck, this shit is amazing".

I really wanted to like the game but I ended up being upset about it and the time I wasted until I reached the "hub-area". Didn't play any further, since all characters annoyed me and the story didn't make me curious like HZD.

Vick Vick told me to "at the very least activate Poseidon." but I just can't bring myself to start the game again.

At what point did it click for you?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I've literally never seen nor heard this rumour, was it actually widespread?
Right on this forum. Every thread about Horizon's charting and sales numbers got sidetracked because "but it was part of the bundle, which accounted for the majority of the sales" and "Sony is artificially increasing Horizon's numbers look good with bundles, but in reality Horizon failed."

DavidGzz

What a dumb rumor. You have to have enough consoles to sell for the bundle to make up a lot of the game's sales, plus it's cross-gen...

Last edited:

Three

Wouldn't that be the opposite? The game selling 1 million PS5's as part of a bundle is a bigger deal and implies more that exclusives are important to the success of a console than if it just sold 5 million copies to existing owners.
Their argument was the stupid idea that they didn't want HFW but were somehow forced to get it to be able to get a PS5. Even though MW2, FIFA, etc were bundled too. Some now banned user was even saying 50%+ of HFW sales were from bundles. Then he later said it was "just a guess".

FingerBang

I really wanted to like the game but I ended up being upset about it and the time I wasted until I reached the "hub-area". Didn't play any further, since all characters annoyed me and the story didn't make me curious like HZD.

Vick Vick told me to "at the very least activate Poseidon." but I just can't bring myself to start the game again.

At what point did it click for you?
After reaching the hub area when the rest of the map opens up and you go after the different AI. I think the story is just ok, and I dislike most characters, but there's a lot to like about the level design, the different environments and the combat.

That said my gf has been having a lot of fun hearing me shout "FOR GOD'S SAKE SHUT UP" to Aloy every 5 minutes.

Wasn't the Horizon bundle available only relatively short? Similar as the Fifa Bundle. With a more limited availability of the naked console or bundle in general. It did run a few weeks and kind of stopped. GoW seems to be pushed harder now. At least beyond xmas for now and I guess more bundles get sold now than they were with previous bundles. But I guess those games sell anyway too. And wth current bundles you pay and buy the bundled game anyway.
Bundles were great, basically free games in the past. Now you pay 1:1 the actual price, so if you want the console you have to get a game you might not even want that much.

But with relatively short bundle periods none will get boosted that much. It might add a couple but in the long run it should not alter much of the sales.

Not happening
Well like I said "Could " Hogwarts Legacy may dethrone it next month!

Having said that what 3rd party game retail game do you think could outsell it? I think it's likely it will be top 5 by the end of the generation. Definitely Top 10 (If we exclude games from the same franchise)

Kupfer

After reaching the hub area when the rest of the map opens up and you go after the different AI. I think the story is just ok, and I dislike most characters, but there's a lot to like about the level design, the different environments and the combat.

That said my gf has been having a lot of fun hearing me shout "FOR GOD'S SAKE SHUT UP" to Aloy every 5 minutes.
Yep, she's such an annoying brat. This is the only case I remember I don't want to play as the character which is presented.

I can't put up with this wannabe grandstanding with a dash of pathos and a smugness that borders on arrogance.

Since I personally don't like the combat system either and it's worse than HZD with its complexity of different weapons, mid-game weapon selection options, duplicate button assignments, abilities, ultimates and combos, it was probably just a nice tech demo for me, but I won't remember HFW as a good game.

FingerBang

Yep, she's such an annoying brat. This is the only case I remember I don't want to play as the character which is presented.

I can't put up with this wannabe grandstanding with a dash of pathos and a smugness that borders on arrogance.

Since I personally don't like the combat system either and it's worse than HZD with its complexity of different weapons, mid-game weapon selection options, duplicate button assignments, abilities, ultimates and combos, it was probably just a nice tech demo for me, but I won't remember HFW as a good game.
It's ok, not every game is for everyone. I think I like FW more than ZD because of the different weapons, enemies and mounts. There is a lot of grinding/hunting required to get the weapons to be satisfactory and I completely understand not wanting to put in the time. I also think there are too many unnecessary mechanics and the 6 fucking different upgrade paths are ridiculous but I can see why people might like the chance of having different "builds".

Spaceman292

Banned
Only a small number on gaf. Outside that water twitter and DF, have not seen people praising it as much as it should.
Pretty sure every single reviewer mentioned it. And there was basically a whole thread on here composed of screenshots from the game when it released. Also everyone on youtube. And in the OT.

Metnut

When Horizon is only the second biggest exclusive game to launch on your platform in one calendar year, you know that you’re doing something right.

Top Bottom