• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

85th Academy Awards Nominations - Results are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Well neither of those movies won shit at the Oscars so... I guess Argo will still go home emptyhanded?

Neither of those movies won at the Golden Globes (I don't think the PGA existed when the Color Purple came out, but Apollo 13 did win that). Argo may still lose at the Academy Awards, but it's pretty uncommon that a movie wins all the big awards leading to the Academy Awards without taking home Best Picture. It happened to Brokeback Mountain, but that is the only recent example I can think of.

At least Ang Lee was nominated.

jtb

Banned
Neither of those movies won at the Golden Globes (I don't think the PGA existed when the Color Purple came out, but Apollo 13 did win that). Argo may still lose at the Academy Awards, but it's pretty uncommon that a movie wins all the big awards leading to the Academy Awards without taking home Best Picture. It happened to Brokeback Mountain, but that is the only recent example I can think of.

At least Ang Lee was nominated.

Globes have been a very poor indicator of the Oscars for years now. I wouldn't necessarily count them as a "big award."

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
From the Oscar nominee luncheon, quoted for size:

223gk8C.jpg

Does anyone know if there will be an online stream of the awards? I may want to have a get together with my friends for this, but I don't have cable.

I don't think Spielberg gets Director. Lincoln is a story about the lead actor and its screenplay.

I'm thinking Ang Lee wins for Life of Pi. I'm cooler on the film than a lot of people but one has to recognize what a daunting task that film was.

There's also the theory that David O. Russell has more support for Silver Linings Playbook than most people seem to think.

I love that this year is a total horse race. This hasn't happened in years.

jtb

Banned
Skyfall won at the ASC awards. That puts it as frontrunner for cinematography.

That's fantastic. Deakins <3

Pretty crazy that Argo has completley sweeped the awards leading up to the Oscars... really wide-open race. I guess Lincoln peaked too soon (and Argo's snub is the best thing that could've happened to it), but I still hold out hope for a Spielberg hat-trick. Plus, his competition in the direction field is just so weak.

McNei1y

I think End of Watch got overlooked. That movie deserved some sort of nod. At least for Michael Pena in a supporting actor role.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Life of Pi won the VES award for "Outstanding Visual Effects in a Visual Effects-Driven Feature Motion Picture," so it's likely to take the Oscar now. Given R&H declaring bankruptcy, I'd expect the acceptance speech to cover the dismal state of the VFX industry right now.

kswiston

I don't think Spielberg gets Director. Lincoln is a story about the lead actor and its screenplay.

I'm thinking Ang Lee wins for Life of Pi. I'm cooler on the film than a lot of people but one has to recognize what a daunting task that film was.

There's also the theory that David O. Russell has more support for Silver Linings Playbook than most people seem to think.

I love that this year is a total horse race. This hasn't happened in years.

Argo has won every major best picture award now, so I am not sure how SLP has much support. With wins in the Golden Globes, DGAs, PGAs, and BAFTAs (plus an award for best cast ensemble from the SAG), I don't see how any film is going to stop it at the Academy Awards. It's definitely kicked Lincoln out of the spotlight.

I could see Ang Lee winning Best Director. It would be an upset though. I think Speilberg is still the favourite with Afleck being snubbed.

Why'd Slumdog and Hurt Locker get snubbed?

Both of them are there. First two on the last row.

Argo is an OK movie. Would have been more suspenseful if they did have to cross the border on bicycles. As a result of it's story, a lot of the suspense felt unnecessary.

Grantland has a pretty awesome graphic of the most ridiculous Oscar snubs over the last 40 or so years.
The Academy loves them some romance and some feel good, sentimental shit. oh, and period pieces
VAl.jpg

jtb

Banned
Funny graphic but it misses some really easy ones while including a handful of complete non-snubs (TDK, ZDT, Benjamin Button is a failure by Fincher's standards but 2008 was a truly abysmal year). How do you make an Oscar travesties list and not include Citizen Kane?

Eidan

Funny graphic but it misses some really easy ones while including a handful of complete non-snubs (TDK, ZDT, Benjamin Button is a failure by Fincher's standards but 2008 was a truly abysmal year). How do you make an Oscar travesties list and not include Citizen Kane?

That's a good point. Citizen Kane is the snub that started it all.

Shakespeare in Love vs. Dark Knight snub. Damn that's a tough one.

Easily Shakespeare in Love. SPR snub was too big. I don't like Slumdog, but it's at least better than Shakespeare in love.

Kubrick, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Fargo, Pulp Fiction, not winning are real travesties there.

The king of snubbed films of course.

The Oscars are pretty good at snubbing. Probably what they do best.

jtb

Banned

Ah, just read the actual article and apparently they set the cut off at '72 because that's when the Godfather was released or something. Speaking of which, Coppola didn't win best director for the Godfather. Snub.

Yeah. I wouldn't exactly consider TDK not being nominated a snub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom