• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

85th Academy Awards Nominations - Results are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myriadis

Cristoph Waltz in Django should get the oscar. Django in general should get some, I love the movie. And Skyfall too, that was a great Bond.

(._.)

Banned
Grantland has a pretty awesome graphic of the most ridiculous Oscar snubs over the last 40 or so years.
The Academy loves them some romance and some feel good, sentimental shit. oh, and period pieces
VAl.jpg

where the hell is mickey rourke doesn't win for the wrestler?

both of sean penn's oscars should have been given to other actors (bill and mickey)

Lothar

Banned
Grantland has a pretty awesome graphic of the most ridiculous Oscar snubs over the last 40 or so years.
The Academy loves them some romance and some feel good, sentimental shit. oh, and period pieces
VAl.jpg

What the hell? Rocky is one of the greatest movies of all time. That was one of the few times the Oscars got it right. You could make an argument about Million Dollar Baby's win being bullshit, not Rocky.

UberTag

Cristoph Waltz in Django should get the oscar. Django in general should get some, I love the movie. And Skyfall too, that was a great Bond.
Django will be lucky to get Best Original Screenplay.
And you don't want to know what I think about Skyfall.

jtb

Banned
What the hell? Rocky is one of the greatest movies of all time. That was one of the few times the Oscars got it right. You could make an argument about Million Dollar Baby's win being bullshit, not Rocky.

Rocky is a legitimatley great movie, but Taxi Driver is perfection.

Plus, Network and All the President's Men are more deserving than Rocky too. Still, I understand the Rocky pick. Optimism over cynicism. The ultimate rags to riches story.

Rocky is a legitimatley great movie, but Taxi Driver is perfection.

Plus, Network and All the President's Men are more deserving than Rocky too. Still, I understand the Rocky pick. Optimism over cynicism. The ultimate rags to riches story.

Yes it is. The movie that should have that year.

Just saw Zero Dark Thirty.

Solid film, but I didn't find it special by any means.

Also best actress nom for Jessica Chastain? She was solid, but I've got to think there were better female lead performances out there.

You've got to love the little girl in Beasts of the Southern Wild getting a nom, but Keira Knightley missing out. Though admittedly, I've not see Beasts yet.

(._.)

Banned
saw Beasts of the Southern Wild last night. loved it. maybe my 2nd or 3rd favorite of the best picture nominations.

VALIS

Still need to catch up on a lot of these, but I would've loved to see Jack Black get a nom for his role in Bernie. Fat, sheltered, kind hearted, closet gay, mortician murderer is not exactly a prototype character, and he killed it. I was getting really sick of him, too, but wow was he good in that.

MIMIC

Banned
VAl.jpg

"The King's Speech" over "Social Network" is considered a "travesty"?

I LOL'd

addik

"The King's Speech" over "Social Network" is considered a "travesty"?

I LOL'd

Finally someone who echoes the same sentiment.

I loved Social Network, but King's Speech had more wit and suspense than Social Network. Not to mention the action was superb and the cinematography was great. The only person I know who preferred Social Network over King's Speech is a Sorkin fangirl.

jtb

Banned
The King's Speech is incredibly dull, looks ridiculously ugly (fuck Tom Hooper and his obsession with dutch angles), and is buoyed by one great performance and a shitload of Weinstein money. Social Network is let down by Sorkin's (as always) indulgent script, but Fincher can do no wrong.

Social Network > King's Speech.

tino

Banned

I love this guy's opinion and his ranking of the movies. Although I would have swapped Amuor and Argo.

And this whole paragraph is hilarious:

“For the first hour of The Impossible, you can’t imagine how Naomi Watts cannot win, but her character basically becomes a person who is exclusively struggling and who disappears for large chunks of the film, so I can’t vote for her. I also don’t vote for anyone whose name I can’t pronounce. Quvez---? Quzen---? Quyzenay? Her parents really put her in a hole by giving her that name -- Alphabet Wallis. The truth is, it’s a very sweet but immature performance from a 9-year-old. I’ve directed children. They probably did a thousand takes and put the best ones together. Jennifer Lawrence I was on the fence about, but she lost me with that Saturday Night Live bit; I thought it was mean-spirited and shows a lack of maturity on her part. So, for me, it’s between Jessica Chastain and Emmanuelle Riva. I didn’t like Amour, but I think Riva was extraordinary in it. Chastain was just fantastic in Zero Dark Thirty -- she is the major star of tomorrow and probably has another 10 Oscar nominations in her future. Meanwhile, Emmanuelle Riva may not even live through Oscar night, so …”

kingocfs

Finally someone who echoes the same sentiment.

I loved Social Network, but King's Speech had more wit and suspense than Social Network. Not to mention the action was superb and the cinematography was great. The only person I know who preferred Social Network over King's Speech is a Sorkin fangirl.
Count me in this camp as well, loved them both. They play KS on Showtime a lot and I always find myself watching it when I flip passed it.

The King's Speech is incredibly dull, looks ridiculously ugly (fuck Tom Hooper and his obsession with dutch angles), and is buoyed by one great performance and a shitload of Weinstein money. Social Network is let down by Sorkin's (as always) indulgent script, but Fincher can do no wrong.

Social Network > King's Speech.
Nah, Firth and Rush are both excellent together, and SN had precisely zero great performances. Looks nice, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom