• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

85th Academy Awards Nominations - Results are up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Final predictions

Best Picture: Argo
Best Directing Michael Haneke for Amour
Actor in a Leading Role: Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln
Actress in a Leading Role: Emmanuelle Riva for Amour
Actor in a Supporting Role: Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained
Actress in a Supporting Role: Anne Hathaway for Les Miserables
Animated Feature Film: Wreck-It Ralph
Original Screenplay: Mark Boal for Zero Dark Thirty
Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio for Argo
Foreign-Language Film: Amour
Original Score: Life of Pi
Original Song: Skyfall
Production Design: Lincoln
Cinematography: Life of Pi
Costume Design: Anna Karenina
Film Editing: Zero Dark Thirty
Sound Editing: Life of Pi
Sound Mixing: Les Misérables
Visual Effects: Life of Pi

jtb

Banned
Lincoln's momentum has completley petered out, but with such a wide open race (and such a fickle and unpredictable Academy), you never know. I think Spielberg certainly has a better shot at director than he does at Best Picture with Lincoln, but it's been a long time (2005—Ang Lee/Crash split) since the Academy last split the director/picture prizes. That alone cripples Argo and ZDT's chances, even more so when you consider BP hasn't gone to a non-director nominee since Driving Miss Ever year, people always say this will be the year they split the prize, and yet they never do it. do it.

I think of the BP/BD nominees, I'd back Lincoln. It's not a favorite by any means, but it's got the best odds.

Salsa

predictions: (entered a local contest as well, if I win I get some books)

Keep in mind that these are not what I think should win, but what I think will win

1- Best Movie: Argo
2- Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
3- Best Actress leading role: Emmanuelle Riva - Amour
4- Best Actor supporting role: Robert De Niro - Silver Linings Playbook
5- Best Actress supporting role: Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables
6- Best Animated Film: Frankenweenie
7- Cinematography: Life of Pi - Claudio Miranda
8- Costume Design: Les Misérables - Paco Delgado
9- Best Director: Steven Spielberg - Lincoln
10- Best Documentary: Searching for Sugar Man - Malik Bendjelloul, Simon Chinn
11- Best Documentary short: Mondays at Racine - Cynthia Wade, Robin Honan
12- Best Editing: Argo - William Goldenberg
13- Best foreign film: Amour - Austria
14- Best makeup: Les Misérables - Lisa Westcott, Julie Dartnell
15- OST: Life of Pi - Mychael Danna
16- Best song: Skyfall, Skyfall - Adele Adkins, Paul Epworth
17- Production design: Life of Pi - David Gropman; Anna Pinnock
18- Animated short: Paperman - John Kahrs
19- Live action short: Curfew - Shawn Christensen
20- Sound editing: Life of Pi - Eugene Gearty and Philip Stockton
21- Sound mixing: Les Misérables - Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson, Simon Hayes
22- VFX: Life of Pi - Westenhofer, Rocheron, De Boer, Elliott
23- Adapted screenplay: Argo - Chris Terrio
24- Original screenplay: Django Unchained - Quentin Tarantino

zero dark thirty with 0 might be pushing it, but I really cant think where they could win. Maybe adapted screenplay..

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Lincoln's momentum has completley petered out, but with such a wide open race (and such a fickle and unpredictable Academy), you never know. I think Spielberg certainly has a better shot at director than he does at Best Picture with Lincoln, but it's been a long time (2005—Ang Lee/Crash split) since the Academy last split the director/picture prizes. That alone cripples Argo and ZDT's chances, even more so when you consider BP hasn't gone to a non-director nominee since Driving Miss Ever year, people always say this will be the year they split the prize, and yet they never do it. do it.

I think of the BP/BD nominees, I'd back Lincoln. It's not a favorite by any means, but it's got the best odds.

8 years isn't a very long time.

jtb

Banned
8 years isn't a very long time.

Well, the Academy always manages to fuck up, but they manage to fuck up in different ways. The Weinstein's weren't in the Oscar game 20 years ago, now they are. etc. I'd say 8 years is a relatively long amount of time, certainly large enough for a decent sample size. If you want to get a bigger sample size, Driving Miss Daisy was 23 years ago. That's a pretty long time. Since then (and including DMD), the Academy has only split the director/picture vote 5 times:

Driving Miss Daisy/Oliver Stone
Shakespeare in Love/Spielberg
Gladiator/Soderbergh
Chicago/Polanski
Crash/Ang Lee

They did it only once in the 90s, and really only did it quite often between 98 and 05, and then have stopped since. Could it happen again? Sure. Is it likely? I don't think so. A lot of people thought the Academy would split the prize with Fincher and the King's Speech, but they didn't. But then, this is as wide open a race as any, so it's probably best to throw conventional wisdom out the window.

That THR article is a crock of shit because whoever that is clearly doesn't even know what some of the categories even are (specifically the sound stuff).

Not at all. If anything he has the best chance of not winning. Dude has only ever won best picture once out of the nine (?) different times he's been nominated.

When did you see Lincoln? What did you think? I liked it, but thought it was unremarkable. Good, just not great. It's either him or Haneke for Director.

Spielberg needs to get bold again. I want to see the same unflinching Spielberg from Schindler's List, SPR and Munich return to drama. He comes out so rarely, but when he does - good lord.

Lincoln was bolder than Saving Private Ryan.

I... might actually second this.

Spielberg's approach to the subject matter in SPR is unflinchingly realistic and unprecedented in the first 20 minutes but turns into a rather standard (but still brilliant, don't get me wrong) WWII action film.

To take such a methodical, unfiltered look into the political process of a mythologized-to-the-point-of-absurdity figure like Lincoln was rather bold. It could've been a boring, rote biopic, but it wasn't (obviously there are those who would argue otherwise, I thought it was incredible). It's one of the most exciting history lessons I've ever had.

Blader

I... might actually second this.

Spielberg's approach to the subject matter in SPR is unflinchingly realistic and unprecedented in the first 20 minutes but turns into a rather standard (but still brilliant, don't get me wrong) WWII action film.

To take such a methodical, unfiltered look into the political process of a mythologized-to-the-point-of-absurdity figure like Lincoln was rather bold. It could've been a boring, rote biopic, but it wasn't (obviously there are those who would argue otherwise, I thought it was incredible). It's one of the most exciting history lessons I've ever had.

I don't know if I agree or disagree with this, but whatever boldness is in Lincoln's approach has more to do with Kushner than Spielberg. Even if you consider the film to be bolder than SPR, Spielberg isn't pushing himself in the same way.

I don't know if I agree or disagree with this, but whatever boldness is in Lincoln's approach has more to do with Kushner than Spielberg. Even if you consider the film to be bolder than SPR, Spielberg isn't pushing himself in the same way.

You're right. I feel bad that I keep leaving Kushner out of discussions on why Lincoln is so great. It's easy to get caught up in the Spielberg tornado.

Maybe Spielberg is bolder in Lincoln moreso for the restraint he's exercising the whole time (save for the last 10 minutes or so).

jtb

Banned

Doesn't change the fact that the end product is bolder! (and better.) I must admit I'm a huge fan of Kushner's script, I think it was the perfect approach to very difficult material and I'd love for Spielberg (or anyone, really) to tackle the original 500 page script of Lincoln's whole life in a miniseries of some kind.

I'm really pulling for Kushner to win best adapted screenplay. It will be a travesty if Argo wins it.

That was still in the past. I want to see a bulldozer movie set in the present.

Set in the past, yet entirely about the conflict which goes on raging today. Spielberg received so much shit from Israel for Munich. 'Steven Spielberg is not a friend of Israel' and Kushner too. He was attacked from both sides.

He's done his bold Israel/Palestine conflict piece. I want something new.

tino

Banned
Set in the past, yet entirely about the conflict which goes on raging today. Spielberg received so much shit from Israel for Munich. 'Steven Spielberg is not a friend of Israel' and Kushner too. He was attacked from both sides.

He's done his bold Israel/Palestine conflict piece. I want something new.

Something new about Israel? What else is new about Israel?

cj_iwakura

What's confusing?

Spielberg has been in talks to direct the Exodus story Of Gods and Kings. Which is a good thing - because then we can finally get a decent live-action version of that story instead of DeMille's garbage.

Hasn't he been planning a Lupin III movie for ages, or was that basically Catch Me If You Can?

Xun

Roger Deakins deserves best Cinematographer in my opinion, but it'll probably go to Claudio Miranda, sadly.

Salsa

predictions:

updated, ones I got wrong are striked

1- Best Movie: Argo
2- Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
3- Best Actress leading role: Emmanuelle Riva - Amour
4- Best Actor supporting role: Robert De Niro - Silver Linings Playbook
5- Best Actress supporting role: Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables
6- Best Animated Film: Frankenweenie
7- Cinematography: Life of Pi - Claudio Miranda
8- Costume Design: Les Misérables - Paco Delgado
9- Best Director: Steven Spielberg - Lincoln