• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Amiga clone possibly coming in 2021 from the creators of TheC64 Mini & Maxi

Bullet Club

eXGl88r.jpg

Well, it looks like an Amiga. There's not a lot of info yet, or pretty much no info, but as news comes in I'll post it in here.

Bonus Amiga content

Agent X

If this really is a new self-contained "Amiga Mini", then I hope they can secure the rights to a good lineup of games.

One of my only complaints about TheC64 Mini is the game lineup, which was heavily tilted towards European releases. From the perspective of a US customer, there were very few recognizable hits, outside of the Epyx games and maybe two or three others like Boulder Dash) Over half the games were never previously released in the US. That's great for someone who was curious about games they haven't played previously, but poor for marketability. I've played a lot of the games on there, and they're not at all bad, they're just "unknown". Many of the most popular C64 games in the US belong to publishers like Electronic Arts and Activision, which would have been difficult and/or expensive to license.

I fear the same might be true with an Amiga. Retro Games isn't likely to pony up the money for games from EA or Activision (including Sierra), or even arcade licenses from companies like Capcom, Konami, Sega, Square Enix (including Taito), and Warner Brothers (including Midway and Atari Games). Psygnosis had a bunch of Amiga hits, but those games are owned by Sony, so that's also unlikely. Instead, they'll have to do their best to get good games from small, inactive, or defunct publishers.

An example of a great game to obtain would be Another World. This game was published by Interplay in the US under the name Out of This World. Interplay is (as far as I know) merely a holding/licensing company now, but in this case that doesn't matter because the rights reverted to its original creator, Eric Chahi, who appears to be very accommodating to licensing the game out. It's an extremely high-quality game on Amiga, and it's a game that had broad appeal worldwide.

Knightime_X

I wish they would make an MS-DOS mini or something more dedicated that I can add more games.
Dos box runs slow even with a fast pc and the experience is not the same due to how choppy and slow it is.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

A comment from the FB page:

KfsdKcP.png

I had an Amiga 500 and loved it, but do we really want something that size in 2020?

Give us something that looks like an Amiga 500 with a working keyboard that's about half the size. I guess that would be an Amiga 600 but just make it look more like the 500.

RAIDEN1

Does make you wonder though, if Commodore were around today, where would they be? Would they have been the next Sega? What if the CD32 could have gone toe-to-toe with the PS1 and 3DO?

Handy Fake

If this really is a new self-contained "Amiga Mini", then I hope they can secure the rights to a good lineup of games.

One of my only complaints about TheC64 Mini is the game lineup, which was heavily tilted towards European releases. From the perspective of a US customer, there were very few recognizable hits, outside of the Epyx games and maybe two or three others like Boulder Dash) Over half the games were never previously released in the US. That's great for someone who was curious about games they haven't played previously, but poor for marketability. I've played a lot of the games on there, and they're not at all bad, they're just "unknown". Many of the most popular C64 games in the US belong to publishers like Electronic Arts and Activision, which would have been difficult and/or expensive to license.

I fear the same might be true with an Amiga. Retro Games isn't likely to pony up the money for games from EA or Activision (including Sierra), or even arcade licenses from companies like Capcom, Konami, Sega, Square Enix (including Taito), and Warner Brothers (including Midway and Atari Games). Psygnosis had a bunch of Amiga hits, but those games are owned by Sony, so that's also unlikely. Instead, they'll have to do their best to get good games from small, inactive, or defunct publishers.

An example of a great game to obtain would be Another World. This game was published by Interplay in the US under the name Out of This World. Interplay is (as far as I know) merely a holding/licensing company now, but in this case that doesn't matter because the rights reverted to its original creator, Eric Chahi, who appears to be very accommodating to licensing the game out. It's an extremely high-quality game on Amiga, and it's a game that had broad appeal worldwide.
It was groundbreaking tech, but I think their next game "Flashback" (it had another name in the US that escapes me) was on another level gameplay-wise. I loved that game - at the time it felt like you were playing a film, the animation was so fluid (rotoscoping again) and the music was tremendous.

Also, for fuck's sake put 'Moonstone' on it.

Last edited:
Many of these games look good, but they're Ok at best... the most interesting thing about Amigas is the demo scene and mod files!

I recall in the days when I had a Genesis, whenever an Amiga game got a Genesis version I knew it was some Euro devs who would have made some really impressive looking game (and often sounding)... yet it would be boring as hell.

Bullet Club

Does make you wonder though, if Commodore were around today, where would they be? Would they have been the next Sega? What if the CD32 could have gone toe-to-toe with the PS1 and 3DO?
The problem with Commodore is they wanted to be a business PC company and thought that games were beneath them. By the time they realized they were wrong about that it was too late.

They probably could have survived if they made enough A1200s in late 1992 when there was a big demand for them in the UK and Europe but they didn't.

But not this

hqdefault.jpg
What about Wizkid?

It was groundbreaking tech, but I think their next game "Flashback" (it had another name in the US that escapes me) was on another level gameplay-wise. I loved that game - at the time it felt like you wer eplaying a film, the animation was so fluid (rotoscoping again) and the music was tremendous.
It was Another World that had a different name in North America due to a soapy using that name. It became Out Of This World.

All this talk of C64 and Amiga500! *POW* right in the childhood!

I concur with Handy Fake Handy Fake
Bring on Moonstone. Add Turrican, It came from the Desert. Does anyone remember a war styled *capture the flag* game that had similarities to Return Fire?

Birdo

Banned
The best thing about thes old microcomputers, is that a lot of the software is now public domain (Abandonware). So they could fill it with far more games than those Mini Consoles.

Handy Fake

The best thing about thes old microcomputers, is that a lot of the software is now public domain (Abandonware). So they could fill it with far more games than those Mini Consoles.
I wonder how that works with the old movie licenses. Batman, Robocop... Both great fun. I think they were both made by Ocean, they did seem to have a monopoly on sidescrolling movie tie-ins.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Add Hunter and Mercenary II: Sword of Damocles for some great 90's open-world games.

Fuck yeah. Damocles was an all-time great. Such a wonderfully mysterious alien atmosphere but with a lovely touch of humour. I had the Atari ST but when I killed it with a RAM upgrade I picked up a 2nd hand 600 - it was a cracking little machine that served me well until I got my first PC. I'd absolutely love something like this, given the overlap in gaming libraries between ST and Amiga it would basically cover my formative gaming years.

SScorpio

I wish they would make an MS-DOS mini or something more dedicated that I can add more games.
Dos box runs slow even with a fast pc and the experience is not the same due to how choppy and slow it is.

The MiSTer's latest updates to its ao486 core are pretty much this. It's not a plug and play solution, but it's leaps and bounds over the feeling of DOSBox for old games. Late 90s and 3D stuff is still better on DOSBox or PCEmu.

You are able to adjust the speed so 286/386 speed sensitive games will work. And it will run up to mid-90s games. It supports Sound Blaster, SB Pro, SB 16 (without the clicking DMA bug), C/MS, OPL2, OPL3, and it has an MPU401 with FluidSynth running on the ARM side for awesome General MIDI playback. And there are solutions including a single cable to a self powered RaspBerry Pi to have MT-32 support.

Most things pre-Pentium/3D accelerator era run.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/ao486_MiSTer

pachura

It was groundbreaking tech, but I think their next game "Flashback" (it had another name in the US that escapes me) was on another level gameplay-wise. I loved that game - at the time it felt like you were playing a film, the animation was so fluid (rotoscoping again) and the music was tremendous.
Quite the contrary! While Another World had groundbreaking rotoscopy and was 100% vectorized (which allowed innovative location design and full-screen animations), Flashback went back to traditional bitmap backgrounds, boring platforming and inventory management. It was a major disappointment for me.

Also, Another World on Amiga was missing the final chapter (probably to be able to run on 512KB A500) that was there on PC and on GBA.

PS. I once bought an ARMiga for a friend, but it is no longer produced.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Quite the contrary! While Another World had groundbreaking rotoscopy and was 100% vectorized (which allowed innovative location design and full-screen animations), Flashback went back to traditional bitmap backgrounds, boring platforming and inventory management. It was a major disappointment for me.

Also, Another World on Amiga was missing the final chapter (probably to be able to run on 512KB A500) that was there on PC and on GBA.

PS. I once bought an ARMiga for a friend, but it is no longer produced.

Have to agree with this, though I'd say even Another World was in some ways a step back from Delphine's previous output. I absolutely loved Operation Stealth for instance, and Cruise For A Corpse (which is where the polygon rendering for characters in motion was first deployed) was a fabulous little murder mystery, though in both cases the story fell apart a bit towards the end, and Operation Stealth had some god-awful minigames. Anyway, I digress. Delphine had been producing some wonderful intelligent point and click adventures that honestly were good enough to rival what Lucasarts and Sierra were creating, but then went down an action platformer route and while Another World is undeniably pretty, wonderfully atmospheric and clever in how it tells its story, I would argue that in gameplay it's a step back from the brilliance of their earlier work.

Agent X

All of these need to be on it

Top-10-amiga-500Games-616x410.png

That would be great, but I really doubt you'd get Theme Park (EA), The Secret of Monkey Island (LucasArts) or Lemmings (Psygnosis) preloaded, due to the licensing costs.

But don't give up hope yet...read on...

Does anyone remember a war styled *capture the flag* game that had similarities to Return Fire?

Firepower! Return Fire is actually the sequel to Firepower, from the same creators.

I actually have the Game Boy Advance cartridge of IK+, which (at least as far as I've seen) seems rather rare in the US. They did a good job with it.

The Commodore 64 version might not look quite as nice graphically as the others, but by 8-bit standards is highly impressive.

Can we hack it for romz doe?
You can add games to ThC64 without needing to hack it. This will be the same.

Yes, and the ability to easily add your own games to TheC64 and TheC64 Mini elevates these products from being "OK" to "great". Even with 64 preloaded games, they were lacking so many of the famous hits (especially to American users), so this enabled enthusiasts to fill in the gaps with their own personal favorites.

Bullet Club

Can it beat the Vampire V2 A1200 or Vampire V4 stand-alone?

Probably not.

Can those beat this in price and ease of purchase?

Obviously we don't know the price yet, but it will probably be in TheC64 Maxi range (₤110/AU$199) and you could order it fairly easily from regular electronics/games stores.

Top Bottom