• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A serious question for longtime Square Enix fans.

the next 10 years for Square Enix?

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
And by "longtime" Square Enix fans, I mean those who enjoyed their games before the merger in 2003.
(although anyone is welcome to post here)

In this hypothetical scenario, which one would you choose:

For the next 10 years, you could have Square Enix either,

#1 - Continue business as usual.

or

#2 - Spend the next 10 years exclusively remaking or remastering every game published before the 2003 merger.

5fbffd2f0278c6f4967209c323efee56.gif

And by "longtime" Square Enix fans, I mean those who enjoyed their games before the merger in 2003.
(although anyone is welcome to post here)

In this hypothetical scenario, which one would you choose:

For the next 10 years, you could have Square Enix either,

#1 - Continue business as usual.

or

#2 - Spend the next 10 years exclusively remaking or remastering every game published before the 2003 merger.

5fbffd2f0278c6f4967209c323efee56.gif
I didn't get to play their games before the merger. As long as they keep giving me dragon quest remakes in vein of octopath traveler I am happy.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Continue business as usual as I'm pretty content with how they're doing. Although, they should off load the western studios since I don't care about them.

ManaByte

Rename FFXV back to its original title and let a different team make a replacement FFXV that doesn't suck shit.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
More new games so I guess it business as usual.

I dont need remakes/remasters I just need good ports of old games on PC.

Whenever the question of this type is asked, I always pick new games. Always.

Continuous progress and looking to the future, not living in the past.

Don’t worry, Dragon Quest XII and FF XVI are going to be stellar, I can feel it. 😊

Ailike

No one here needs a remaster of Brave Fencer Musashi or Vagrant Story. It certainly wouldnt be worth the investment. The only thing that would make them money would be FF6, and I dont need a remake that rewrites the story to Kefka's deep deep backstory they just made up or a side DLC that shows how Relm's dad became Gogo or some nonsense.

make a better authentic Final fantasy Series....

15 is a trash due open world that somewhat a sandbox with little interaction when traveling with repeating conversation or RECIPEH!! adding the characters skills or uniqueness so meh that need to select them to show their uniqueness(while their AI SO bland so trashy and forgettable party members + their build progression is such well so lacking..)its beautiful boy band traveling showing graphics showcase about weapons MEH its just no feeling on it even elementals weapons or other things) even that npc talks about legendary weapons...somewhat being bland and boring to do
.....only fishing minigame is good on XV
13 is a linearity exploration that has potential on battle system that lacks on character progression due upgrade linearity while weapon is just upgrade with no unique feeling on it

type-0 is more okay due its reallly hits its story and gameplay due its warlike experience adding old overworld traveling + its character progression mostly uniques on those students.....men thats good game that trashed so much by a remaster(i would prefer to play the translated PSP version)

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Remake Parasite Eve, FF4-9. Bring back Chrono Trigger Or a sequel. FFX3

I still want new games though. FF16 and Dragon Quest sequel are good enough.

Javthusiast

Banned
Like DQ11 so far. Loved FF7R and FF16 looks very promising.

DQ12 and FF7R2 on the way. I say just continue as is.

Oh, stop it with the mediocore Avengers etc. GaaS and do stuff like Deus Ex and reboot Tomb Raider with OG Lara design.

Great Hair

Banned
The Japanese market will perish over the next 10 years and finally conclude Nintendo´s reign! AMD will be acquired by Tencent and Hollywood will stop producing movies, as studios finally make the jump to CGI! No more shitty Actors, all A.I made up ones! Also Microsoft will shut down Xbox once and for all.

barbie GIF

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Keep doing what they're doing. I sure don't have a multi-million dollar company. Regardless of whether I love or hate the latest stuff, a lot of someone buys it, something that they're doing is working.

Pejo

They don't have the passion or talent to remake any of their classics and not ruin them, so I picked to just do whatever they're going to do. As it is, about 1 out of every 7 or 8 games is worth playing, which is fine. Their blatant disregard for fans with shit like the font for Pixel Remasters ruined any goodwill I might have had left for them.

Hugare

Only FF 7 has enough weight to its name to make Square plan a AAA remake for it (in multiple parts, nonetheless)

Any other FF game (maybe X) wouldnt generate enough sales.

I expect, maybe, Chrono Trigger remake or DQ VI remake in the future.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Business as usual.

I don’t particularly care for any of their remakes but they gotta make that $$$ to push boundaries forward in gaming. Respect the hustle.

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
I mean they already announced FF16

They can remake stuff of the side if they want but keep making new ones please,

GeekyDad

Well, neither, really. "Business as usual" sounds pretty shitty. I know they're in it to make money, but I think history proves that the big winners for everyone are creative. Keep using those big bucks to invest in good, new creative ideas that fit their particular "thing," whilst still providing us with nostalgic remakes to support advances in their existing series.

Yoboman

They could do remakes of FF6, 8, 9 with a decent budget but still pre rendered backgrounds and it would look and play amazing without the total overhaul that is FFVII

Ellery

Wait so are they doing games like they did in the golden era of Final Fantasy or is it the modern day guys that released failures like 13,15 etc.?

In either case I would take new games though, but what I really dream of is Final Fantasy Playstation 1 style turn based games with pre rendered backgrounds.

Griffon

I'm having a blast getting into the FF14 free trial (both ARR and Heavensward are unlimited free to play).

So, yeah, keep business as usual please. Remakes are boring and don't grow your audience.

Top Bottom