• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A single cosmetic pack in Diablo IV will be $28

Draugoth

Gold Member
Diablo IV's in-game shop offers us a variety of cosmetic items. The developers make sure that players buy these items because they like them and not because they feel they need them for the game. The shop therefore does not offer any items that give us a playful advantage (Pay2Win). The accessories and skins to be purchased have purely cosmetic aspects and are used for transmogrification.

Some of the Prices in the Diablo IV cosmetic shop have leaked earlier:

Platinum is the currency for items in the Diablo IV Shop. We get them through real money purchases, as well as rewards with the paid Premium Battle Pass.
500 Platinum - $4.99
1000 Platinum - $9.99
2800 Platinum - $24.99
5700 Platinum - $49.99
11500 Platinum - $99.99

A Necromancer Set (Below) is 2800 Platinum Points, previous screenshots shown this set as 666 Platinum Points (around $6.00):

ok-with-cosmetic-cash-shop-but-28-for-one-set-v0-auqx4seq503b1.png
472654_diablo-iv-11500-platinum.png

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Wait, so they raised the prices for their cosmetics by more than 400%, am I reading that right?

tommycronin

Banned
The argument of just don't buy it has passed. Prepare for this shop to be more of a focus for the game going forwards vs updating the game. Has Overwatch 2 not thought ye anything. This game is also launching at 80 beans normal edition with an ultimate edition up to 110 and then they want 25 more for a skin.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I’ll get the battlepass, it’s $10 and that’s basically lunch money in exchange for a lot of cosmetics and dopamine hits.

I won’t buy any of these packs that cost as much as a full game for one outfit. I won’t get upset that they exist either. I really don’t care what you do with your money.
Exactly how I feel, if someone wants them so be it

unimpressed morgan freeman GIF

L*][*N*K

Banned
An even better solution would be this crap not existing in a game that will cost you up to $100, but I guess we are well past that point now.
GaaS games needs to continuously make money, like it or not this is the reality of the genre, how do you propose they do that without a cash shop?

nkarafo

I don't get it.

Are these available in-game? Like you have a chance to find them? If yes then why not just.... play the game? Why spend money to skip a good portion of the game you want to play?

SCB3

I’ll get the battlepass, it’s $10 and that’s basically lunch money in exchange for a lot of cosmetics and dopamine hits.

I won’t buy any of these packs that cost as much as a full game for one outfit. I won’t get upset that they exist either. I really don’t care what you do with your money.
Yea pretty much what I do, £8 is not a lot for some cool BP stuff on a lot of games like this and tbh thats usually enough, I don't even buy cosmetics in Destiny as I can make cool outfits with stuff I got for free or with the BP

L*][*N*K

Banned
Maybe I'm old, but my view is that Diablo should be spun up like some GAAS game.

Things like this effect the games balance/loot system.
But you knew that Diablo 4 was a GaaS game already, my argument is not about Diablo tbh it is about all GaaS games, I understand if you don't like them but since they exist they need a cash shop and to be honest D4 is doing a fantastic job at making the game not Pay-For-Power, something I wish Diablo Immortal did and as long as they remain cosmetic only we should be happy about it.

HTK

Banned
They do this because there is obviously an audience out there supporting it. Simple economics.

I avoid it at all costs and I'm glad it doesn't affect the gameplay that's all I can ask for.

L*][*N*K

Banned
There is a solution, it is called a subscription. You pay every month, and game-design doesn't have to be purposely shitty to force you into buying quality of life features. This is why PSU was so much better than PSO2. PSO2 inventory and item management is unbearable.
So you would pay $15 a month for this to randomly drop? You are the minority here I guarantee you the majority won't pay it, keep in mind Diablo 4 will sell well on console and it is also designed to sell on console and console players have to pay for only service as well, so imagine this $8 for Xbox Live Gold and $15 for Diablo 4, yeah that sounds like a great solution.

GHG

But you knew that Diablo 4 was a GaaS game already, my argument is not about Diablo tbh it is about all GaaS games, I understand if you don't like them but since they exist they need a cash shop and to be honest D4 is doing a fantastic job at making the game not Pay-For-Power, something I wish Diablo Immortal did and as long as they remain cosmetic only we should be happy about it.

Yes we have known this would be the case for a while, but it still doesn't sting any less.

Now if only everyone listened to me regarding horse armour...

Jesse Pinkman Face GIF by Jacob Graff

Last edited:

cireza

So you would pay $15 a month for this to randomly drop?
No. Read my post ? Cosmetic shit is optional. Game-design altered to force you into buying "services" isn't. I don't know if Diablo 4 will be impacted by this (I suppose so to some extent, after that's what the business model requires), but people who like a game and want the best experience will definitely pay a subscription fee.

On console Gold/Live/Whatever should not be necessary to play a game that has a subscription. It was already the case back on 360, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Why ever this comes as surprise is beyond me. Of course Diablo Immortal was just a beta test for this.

I can only guess things will get worse because the more people say "just don't buy it", the more free pass they get to progress further with pay mechanics.

Salz01

Can the set be farmed for? If so, then it’s not really a problem. If it can’t be farmed for, and it’s only in the store that’s a problem.

L*][*N*K

Banned
No. Read my post ? Cosmetic shit is optional. Game-design altered to force you into buying "services" isn't. I don't know if Diablo 4 will be impact by this, but people who like a game and want the best experience will definitely pay a subscription fee.
Diablo 4 doesn't have quality of life things that you pay for, this is still a $70 game it comes with an optional cosmetic shop, that is it.

GHG

Can the set be farmed for? If so, then it’s not really a problem. If it can’t be farmed for, and it’s only in the store that’s a problem.

It's more of a problem if it can be farmed for because they will have put a lot of work into determining what these things should cost and the amount of in-game effort it will take to attain them. It's a science of psychology.

Then it is not a F2P/GaaS.

It will have "seasons" and "battle passes".

It's GAAS.

Last edited:

GHG

People not buying these will not have a lesser experience. I don't understand the complaints here.

Well it depends on how much value one attributes to "cosmetics" (which by the way were once all part of the original purchase price for every game).

If there didn't exist people who wanted this stuff and people who would get FOMO over it then they wouldn't sell it, much less for ridiculous prices.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
Well it depends on how much value one attributes to "cosmetics" (which by the way were once all part of the original purchase price for every game).

If there didn't exist people who wanted this stuff and people who would get FOMO over it then they wouldn't sell it, much less for ridiculous prices.
The Battle Pass is 10$ per-season, I don't think that is THAT steep, I still wouldn't get it myself.

• LOL
Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom