• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

a true next-gen GameBoy.... when?

so Nintendo has the DS out and the GBA Micro is coming also..... what about the next-gen GameBoy? will we see its introduction around the time that Revolution comes out in the middle or second half of next year, or sometime after?

I get the feeling that Nintendo is trying to combat the PSP with DS and GBA Micro. not from a technology perspective but from a, 'we have 3 handhelds out that provide 2 different formats compared to Sony's 1 handheld' to see if that can fly, sales wise, all the while they are furiously working away on the next GameBoy, but don't want to have to bring it out until 2007 or 2008.... but should the PSP pick up serious momentum above and beyond what it is doing now, and start outselling DS significantly, the new GameBoy will be brought out by the end of 2006 instead.

is my brief assesment of Nintendo's handheld strategy kind of on-target ?

considering how the DS's best games have yet to come, GBA sales are still somewhat strong and the Micro is being released, and that pokemon diamond/pearl could come out probably mid to late 2006, I'd say we won't get the next generation of Game Boy until late 2007.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Considering the least mature key component used, I'd say realistically first half 2008 earliest. Late 2007 would be a big strech goal.

blackadde

Hopefully it's 3D chipset will be as worthless as the one being used in the DS, so I can still get heaps of 2D lovin'.

Paste of what I said in a similar topic a month-ish back:

I've said so before, but my theory is that Nintendo could've easily had two plans for post-DS hardware. Option one would be to go more the PSP/GBA route and have a more basic handheld with one screen built into a controller. However, if DS actually took off and thus the machine wasn't needed for a few more years, they'd just need DS-ify it by pushing it back a few years and adding in the extra doodads like the extra touch screen and microphone, and not really mess with the basic graphics/sound hardware much. Much as DS has been said to be an earlier proposed hardware relatively quickly given these extra features.

It is Nintendo's nature to sit on handheld technology a long long time.

the GameBoy released in 1989 could have been out in the mid 1980s when the NES came out. even though the GameBoy itself was not finished until around 1987... the technology to do a GameBoy existed in the mid 80s, no question.

the GameBoy Color released in 1998 could have been out in 1990 because a color handheld NES existed (BDL's 'Nintendo Express')

the GBA released in 2001 could have been out in the mid to late 1990s because Nintendo's 32-bit Project Atlantis handheld was revealed in 1996 but was shelved so that Nintendo could focus on Nintendo64.

the DS released in 2004 is based on technology of the mid to late 1990s, the DS could have been out around 2000, if Nintendo had wanted it.

Nintendo has a habbit of sitting on handheld technology for 4-8 years before bringing it to market. that is why I am leaning toward the likelyhood that we will not see the new GameBoy until 2007-2008.

Link316

Banned
the Micro will give the GBA line a temporary sales boost, but I doubt it'll be able to drag the GBA out for another 1 or 2 years

from the State of the Handheld Industry article (which has its own thread btw)

Rich Vitale and Michael Chiaramonte, Celisphere:

We think the GBA line can continue alongside the DS. The type of games that are released for it will most likely change a bit, as more mainstream and licensed titles will most likely focus on the DS until the GBA2 is released, but the line will continue due to the sheer number of quality titles already available for it, and the affordable price point. It's a cheap, fun way to make gaming portable. Celisphere has, however, moved on from the GBA, and we don't have any titles planned for the system at the moment.

SKOPE

The Nintendo DS is the next-generation Game Boy. "Third pillar" was officially bullshit as of E3 2004 when Nintendo talked about how PSP games could be ported to the DS but DS games couldn't be ported to the PSP.

And unofficially bullshit months earlier when Nintendo announced the DS could play Game Boy Advance games.

Ranger X

I wouldn't be surprised by a GBA2 pretty soon. Well, i mean like 2007. And you know what? Nintendo may just squeeze in a DS redesign in the meantime. :lol

aoi tsuki

i always love it when people make threads about yet to be announced hardware, especially portables. i don't want to see another portable with major backing for another two or three years. i've yet to buy half the games i want for GBA, DS, and PSP, let alone another system. These threads scare and confuse me.

Edit: If anything, a DS redesign would be nice. Same size screens, but thinner overall.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
2004 - DS announced and launched
2005 - Gameboy Micro announced and will launch
2006 - DS SP
2007 - Gameboy Next

Pretty logical if you ask me in terms of what Nintendo wants to do.

cvxfreak

GB Micro will easily give the GBA another three years, so I predict we'll hear first details of the GBA2 sometime in late 2007 in time for a 2008 launch.

Ironclad

The DS and the Micro can carry things until 2008. There can be a DS revision down the line, but it doesn't really matter. The Micro will spike GBA sales and then they will slowly decrease and that is when Nintendo will announce the next GB. Of course, this is all speculation.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
midnightguy said:
(2001) GBA --- (2003) GBA SP ----(2005) GBA Micro

(2004) DS --- (2006) DS redesign?

(2007) GBA2 ?

(2010-11) DS2 ?

:) :D

DS hasn't got much room for a redesign though, the new colors is probably as far as it'll go. In a marketing sense the GB Micro is more than the SP revision, it's a bit like Gameboy Pocket with Pokemon in 1996, the hardware was the same but the system got new life and once that was achieved they put out a "color" GB in 1998. Now assuming they're probably going with the same strategy with GB Micro and Moth3r then I'd say they'd release the "3D" GB sometime in 2007.

To the people who say there are way too many design updates to the GBA, before Pocket the GB also went through many redesigns too. Handhelds need that, they need it much more often than home systems, you're carrying it around it's not something to just keep in your room, so as soon as it's financially and technologically possible to make it smaller you have to make it smaller and in fact I think the PSP will be redesigned sooner than you think. But when it's all said and done the thing is many games will keep coming out for the system and these new games will play on whatever design you chose to own, the platform remains the same it's just the design that changes.

DS is the next Gameboy. Sure it doesn't have the Gameboy name but it's Nintendo's next gen handheld. What else are you guys looking for?

BorkBork said:
2006 - DS SP
2007 - Gameboy Next

your 2006-2007 outlook seems very plausable.

Azelover

SonicMegaDrive said:
Don't oversaturate the handheld market, Nintendo.

Remember Sega.

Nintendo isn't doing what Sega did though. DS and GBA are the two Nintendo platforms outthere for software, the GBA SP/Micro are merely design revisions, all software released on Nintendo handhelds are for two platforms only which will likely be supported for a long time. Sega on the other hand released a bunch of Genesis addons that oppened a new software platform each which were quickly abandoned because of a new one. So you can rest assured, Nintendo isn't Sega.

Azelover

Synth_floyd said:
DS is the next Gameboy. Sure it doesn't have the Gameboy name but it's Nintendo's next gen handheld. What else are you guys looking for?

If DS was the new Gameboy Nintendo wouldn't be releasing GB Micro this year. They clearly have an intention to continue with the GB line and keep supporting it with new software/accessories/services/hardware/marketing or whatever. DS isn't even compatible with GB and GBC, I don't think it was ever meant to truly succeed GB or replace it. GB will probably live on and so will DS.

SKOPE

Azelover said:
If DS was the new Gameboy Nintendo wouldn't be releasing GB Micro this year. They clearly have an intention to continue with the GB line and keep supporting it with new software/accessories/services/hardware/marketing or whatever. DS isn't even compatible with GB and GBC, I don't think it was ever meant to truly succeed GB or replace it. GB will probably live on and so will DS.
Game Boy Micro is no different from the PSOne, Genesis 3, Atari 2600 Jr., top-loading NES, and compact Super NES: it's an end-of life redesign aimed at the most casual of casual gamers.

And when was the last time you saw a new Game Boy or Game Boy Color game? The cost of adding support for those games on the DS isn't worth it for Nintendo.

Azelover

BorkBork said:
2006 - DS SP
2007 - Gameboy Next

Yep, pretty logical. Though seriously I haven't figured out yet how a DS SP could be made without either compromising backwards compatibility or the touchscreen function. Overall I think there's very little you can change, the screens are just the right size for the touch function, you can't make the screens side by side since games don't use it that way, the d-pad and buttons can't be replaced because that would compromise their co-use with the touch screen, you can't really make it thinner because of the GBA port and all so I guess they're just gonna have to keep coming up with new colors.

Mupepe

Banned
Man, think about how long it took to come out with GBA, the true next gen of GB imo. I think we can expect that as long as sales are strong.

mCACGj

Mupepe said:
Man, think about how long it took to come out with GBA, the true next gen of GB imo. I think we can expect that as long as sales are strong.

Yeah, especially since the GBA had been ready a while before release, but the GB Color was doing well so they tried to hold it off.

Azelover

SKOPE said:
Game Boy Micro is no different from the PSOne, Genesis 3, Atari 2600 Jr., top-loading NES, and compact Super NES: it's an end-of life redesign aimed at the most casual of casual gamers.

And when was the last time you saw a new Game Boy or Game Boy Color game? The cost of adding support for those games on the DS isn't worth it for Nintendo.

I agree. But Game Boy and Game Boy Color have already gone by. GB Micro is just to keep the GBA going as a platform until they make the hardware update, what I don't agree with is some people acting like two design revisions equals releasing a bunch of different game platforms and oversaturating the market like Sega did. Like you mentioned, aside from having all the add ons the Genesis had three designs, and it wasn't even a handheld. One case is very different from the other.

I think this is the end of the line for the GBA. I mean, Nintendo have pretty much vacated the vanilla handheld realm. Releasing a standard, one screen, no frills handheld in two/three years would probably really be the end of their handheld business.

Given the anemic release lists past the next few months, its safe to say that other than shovelware, GBA won't be seeing too many big scale releases. It seems most major third parties that made killer apps for GBA have moved to DS. Although I don't doubt some developers make a GBA title here and there. Maybe some more SFC/SNES ports maybe.

For GBN, I'd say not until 2009-2010. The third pillar was Nintendo's way of covering their ass in case PSP whipped them. Since it didn't, the GB pillar will be coming down. Then I expect Nintendo to make this last as long as the GBA but a little longer. It will probably be 128 bit quality but with 2D capabilities still. The PSP2 will probably be released along side of it too.

Genesis systems:

1.) Genesis
2.) Genesis model 2
3.) WonderMega (Megadrive + MegaCD)
4.) WonderMega2 (cut-down WonderMega with reduced features)
5.) TeraDrive (IBM PC + Megadrive)
6.) CDX (Genesis + SegaCD)
7.) Sega Module for Pioneer LaserActive
8.) Nomad (the Genesis handheld)
9.) X'Eye (cut-down version of WonderMega 2)
10.) Genesis 3

not counting any extremely weird Genesis-compatable machines, and unofficial unlicensed pirate clones that probably exist.

Mupepe

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
I think this is the end of the line for the GBA. I mean, Nintendo have pretty much vacated the vanilla handheld realm. Releasing a standard, one screen, no frills handheld in two/three years would probably really be the end of their handheld business.

I disagree, I don't think the GBA will be gone for another two years probably. Nintendo would never leave the vanilla handheld market. That is their market right now. If they left, the people that bought the GBA would turn to a new company. Probably Sony. They will always have their cheap vanilla handheld IMO. They'll continue to innovate, but in the GB market, I don't think they'll stray TOO far from the path.

Argyle

midnightguy said:
Genesis systems:

1.) Genesis
2.) Genesis model 2
3.) WonderMega (Megadrive + MegaCD)
4.) WonderMega2 (cut-down WonderMega with reduced features)
5.) TeraDrive (IBM PC + Megadrive)
6.) CDX (Genesis + SegaCD)
7.) Nomad (the Genesis handheld)
8.) X'Eye (cut-down version of WonderMega 2)
9.) Genesis 3

not counting any extremely weird Genesis-compatable machines, and unofficial unlicensed pirate clones that probably exist.

You forgot the Mega Jet (handheld Genesis with no screen, designed for airline use but also sold to consumers) :)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Azelover said:
Yep, pretty logical. Though seriously I haven't figured out yet how a DS SP could be made without either compromising backwards compatibility or the touchscreen function. Overall I think there's very little you can change, the screens are just the right size for the touch function, you can't make the screens side by side since games don't use it that way, the d-pad and buttons can't be replaced because that would compromise their co-use with the touch screen, you can't really make it thinner because of the GBA port and all so I guess they're just gonna have to keep coming up with new colors.

Well since everyone (myself included) has ragged on the design of the DS, there are a lot of changes that can happen in a year's time for a SP model.

- Reshaped ergonomics (less brick-like, larger buttons)
- Better LCD screens (take a page off of Sony, definitely still won't be as good as the PSP, but a notch better than right now)
- More powerful battery
- Enhanced pictochat in hardware, for online use perhaps?
- Maybe even take out GB compatibility, to differentiate itself from the gameboy line when its own software line is holding its own, thus reducing the size of the unit.

.. It could happen. :)

Argyle said:
You forgot the Mega Jet (handheld Genesis with no screen, designed for airline use but also sold to consumers) :)

you're right. i forgot Mega Jet. god, i suck, don't i ? :lol

what else, guys?

Mupepe said:
I disagree, I don't think the GBA will be gone for another two years probably. Nintendo would never leave the vanilla handheld market. That is their market right now. If they left, the people that bought the GBA would turn to a new company. Probably Sony. They will always have their cheap vanilla handheld IMO. They'll continue to innovate, but in the GB market, I don't think they'll stray TOO far from the path.

When I say the GBA is dead, I don't mean right away. It'll be a slow death, hell the release schedules are already drying up quite a bit. Somewhat akin to the PSOne.

The problem with a vanilla handheld is that it'll probably be competing with whatever crazy-powered vanilla handheld Sony have. The GBA/Micro can work as an ultra cheap alternative at the moment because it's 5 years old. Launching an entirely new vanilla handheld would be an entirely different kettle of fish, especially given Nintendo's staunch commitment to not losing money on hardware vs. Sony's not being that bothered about losing a bomb at launch for greater rewards later.

Nintendo launching a new vanilla handheld into the market would be playing right into Sony's hand.

Mupepe

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
When I say the GBA is dead, I don't mean right away. It'll be a slow death, hell the release schedules are already drying up quite a bit. Somewhat akin to the PSOne.

The problem with a vanilla handheld is that it'll probably be competing with whatever crazy-powered vanilla handheld Sony have. The GBA/Micro can work as an ultra cheap alternative at the moment because it's 5 years old. Launching an entirely new vanilla handheld would be an entirely different kettle of fish, especially given Nintendo's staunch commitment to not losing money on hardware vs. Sony's not being that bothered about losing a bomb at launch for greater rewards later.

Nintendo launching a new vanilla handheld into the market would be playing right into Sony's hand.

That would be true if Nintendo didn't do what it always had done. They'll create something that's powerful enough, with a vast library, BC and easy to make a profit off of. The technology to create something that far surpasses the DS will be fairly cheap by say 2007 so Nintendo won't have a problem. Look at their philosophy basically, a little less power, great 1st party games, BC and cheap hardware. That combination is almost guaranteed to work.

BorkBork said:
Well since everyone (myself included) has ragged on the design of the DS, there are a lot of changes that can happen in a year's time for a SP model.

- Reshaped ergonomics (less brick-like, larger buttons)
- Better LCD screens (take a page off of Sony, definitely still won't be as good as the PSP, but a notch better than right now)
- More powerful battery
- Enhanced pictochat in hardware, for online use perhaps?
- Maybe even take out GB compatibility, to differentiate itself from the gameboy line when its own software line is holding its own, thus reducing the size of the unit.

.. It could happen. :)

I think we won't see a GBNext or even DS hardware refresh until maybe a year after revolution launch. Then I think we'll first see a DSsp that will feature: GBAmicro quality screens and without the GBA cart port. I think in the DSsp box you'll find a thinner sleeker DS with better screens and a single NDS cart port. GBA and even GBC and GB (through emulation) backwards compatibility will be provided by allowing the DSsp to connect to Revolution and download games to memory or a special DRM'd up NDS cart.

GBNext will probably be released another year or two after the DSsp.

i doubt the DSSP would lsoe the GBA slot, cause that would screw with Nintendo's plans to use it as an expansion bay (rumble, extra songs for Band Brothers, ect)

GBN will most likely possess all the qualities of the DS (touchscreen, etc.). To not do so would mean practically abandoning the NDS library w/ touchscreen capabilities, and there's no way Nintendo will not have their next GB compatible with old DS games. I see the NDS pillar actually being brought down in favor of the new, DS-like GB.

Pachinko

I'm thinking the next gameboy will play every gameboy game Plus DS titles , it'll effectivly be the DS2 more so then Gameboy version 4. They'll call it the gameboy DS and it'll have graphical capabilities matching thoses of the PSP but It'll have the 2 screens , the top one will be a 320X240 and the bottom one will be identical to the DS current touch pad .

This theoretical Nextboy wont' be out till fall of 2007, becuase it'll take until then before costs catch up and nintendo can make money on it from the get go.

jarrod

Banned
Link316 said:
the Micro will give the GBA line a temporary sales boost, but I doubt it'll be able to drag the GBA out for another 1 or 2 years
Why not? PSone extended PS1's life a bit longer, even allowing it to outsell GC and Xbox in 2001/2002. I bet Micro outsells PSP and maybe even DS it's first full year on market.

Top Bottom