• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

a true next-gen GameBoy.... when?

jarrod

Banned
midnightguy said:
you're right. i forgot Mega Jet. god, i suck, don't i ? :lol

what else, guys?
The Aiwa CSD-G1M, it could play all MD & MCD games. Aiwa being a Sony subsidiary, I wonder if this came about due to Sony helping with the formatting of Mega CD?

Aiwa%20CSD-GM1.jpg

edit- There's also the Sega Neptune 32X, but it sadly never saw an official release (though there are protoypes floating around).

260px-Neptune.jpg

Also, about the Sega/IBM TeraDrive, it seems there actually 3 different variations...

segabase said:
The Sega TeraDrive combined a Genesis and an IBM compatible personal comptuter into a single unit. It was designed in conjunction with Amstrad and first marketed in 1991. Originally intended for the Japanese home market, they quickly became the darling of the Sega development community overseas - which was a good thing, because the system failed to impress Japanese consumers. There are two, possibly three different versions of the system. The first one sported a 10 MHz i80206 CPU and came with 2.5 MB of RAM, a 20 MB HDD, and 800x600 SVGA graphics. The second is the MegaPlus, about which I have no hard evidence. The third, also known as the Amstrad Mega PC, had the beefier 25 MHz i80386SX CPU and came with 4 MB of RAM and a 40 MB HDD. Both are about the size of an IBM PS/2 Model 30 and have the Genesis hardware incorporated directly onto the system planar. Japanese versions were almost always black, while overseas versions tended to be white. According to one of my U.S. sources, the original asking price for Sega TeraDrive was US$750. Another source in Europe says that the Amstrad Mega PC originally retailed in the neighborhood of US$3000, but that price included the full-blown official Sega MegaDrive Software Developer's Kit (SDK).

And finally, MegaDrive was used in three different AM boards: Sega System C (1990) Sega MegaTech (1991) and Sega MegaPlay (1992).

Flakster99

Man, after viewing all Sega related info in this thread, I have this missing their hardware side of the company feeling.

Vieo

If DS steamrolls GBA in sales, I think DS will become the new GB. Nintendo will see that there's huge demand for touchscreen control. They wouldn't release GBNext without a touchscreen, but at the same time they wouldn't be able able to release it with a touchscreen. Why? If it's released with a touchscreen, it would crush their "third-pillar" theory. If it's released without a touchscreen, it would probably bomb after the touchscreen becomes to handheld gaming what the analog stick is to console gaming. People would wait for DS2 instead of buying a GBNext with GCN-level graphics and no touchscreen.

However, there could be a GBANext if:
-They have no plans for a DS2 and just forget about their third-pillar idea.
-GBNext backwards compatible with DS games. :lol

jarrod said:
The Aiwa CSD-G1M, it could play all MD & MCD games. Aiwa being a Sony subsidiary, I wonder if this came about due to Sony helping with the formatting of Mega CD?

Aiwa%20CSD-GM1.jpg

edit- There's also the Sega Neptune 32X, but it sadly never saw an official release (though there are protoypes floating around).

260px-Neptune.jpg

Also, about the Sega/IBM TeraDrive, it seems there actually 3 different variations...

And finally, MegaDrive was used in three different AM boards: Sega System C (1990) Sega MegaTech (1991) and Sega MegaPlay (1992).

thanks for all of that info, Jarrod. I either was not aware that there were 3 variations of TeraDrive, or forgot about it. I did know about Neptune, and the Sega arcade boards based on Genesis.

I feel that the Genesis should have been based exactly on the System16 board from 1986. it would've meant Genesis being much more powerful in terms of color. sigh.

aoi tsuki

Vieo said:
If DS steamrolls GBA in sales, I think DS will become the new GB. Nintendo will see that there's huge demand for touchscreen control. They wouldn't release GBNext without a touchscreen, but at the same time they wouldn't be able able to release it with a touchscreen. Why? If it's released with a touchscreen, it would crush their "third-pillar" theory. If it's released without a touchscreen, it would probably bomb after the touchscreen becomes to handheld gaming what the analog stick is to console gaming. People would wait for DS2 instead of buying a GBNext with GCN-level graphics and no touchscreen.

However, there could be a GBANext if:
-They have no plans for a DS2 and just forget about their third-pillar idea.
-GBNext backwards compatible with DS games. :lol
So you're saying that if the DS becomes the next Gameboy, Nintendo is doomed? You really think people outside of message board fanboys even care about this "third pillar" stuff?

acidviper

Banned
midnightguy said:
so Nintendo has the DS out and the GBA Micro is coming also..... what about the next-gen GameBoy?

I don't get it. You want us to guess when a new product will appear with no knowledge of Nintendo's inner workings, R&D, or marketing process. Are you hoping we can transmogrify a date for you? Do you think that Nintendo's pattern of launch dates and delays is some kind of Da Vinci code that we can crack using clues from Miyamoto games? It comes out when Nintendo wants it to come out I guess. I'm sure they are waiting for new battery technology, but aside from that nobody knows or can make an educated guess.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
acidviper said:
You want us to guess when a new product will appear with no knowledge of Nintendo's inner workings, R&D, or marketing process. Are you hoping we can transmogrify a date for you? Do you think that Nintendo's pattern of launch dates and delays is some kind of Da Vinci code that we can crack using clues from Miyamoto games?

YES

Top Bottom