• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About to jump in into PC land. Help!

hemo memo

Gold Member
Hey Gaf guys and gals

First of all, i’m very sorry if there is a dedicated thread because I’ve mist have missed it. If there is just link it and close the thread.

This is the specs my friend recommended and it’s a build with a price I can handle. Question is, how is it and how many years it can last or IF it can handle everything than I can run on it.

Specs below: and again i’m very new to this.

Base Component
MOTHERBOARDSGigabyte B650 GAMING X AX 1.0 DDR5 AM5
CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 7700X - 8-Core 4.5 GHz - Socket AM5 - 105W Desktop Processor
GRAPHICS PROCESSING UNIT (GPU)ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Trinity OC WHITE
MEMORYTEAMGROUP DELTA RGB DDR5 DESKTOP MEMORY BLACK 16GB(2x8GB) 5200MHz CL40
SSD M.2Kingston NV2 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Internal SSD Up to 3500 MB/s SNV2S/1000G (BOX)
COOLINGDeepCool 360mm LE720 ARGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler
POWER SUPPLY UNITS (PSU)CORSAIR RM750e Fully Modular Low-Noise ATX Power Supply - CP-9020262-UK

Note: Not editing. Maybe streaming but of course the focus is AAA gaming mainly.

Please see post #77 (Different configurations)

Last edited:

Denton

Seems like a great machine, but yeah I would get faster RAM, 7800X3D and better SSD (something like Samsung 980 Pro), personally.
But even as it is, it will comfortably last the rest of the generation.

For comparison, I have slightly weaker PC (5800X3D, 3080Ti) and in Avatar game, I get about twice the performance of PS5 (120fps where PS5 gets 59 at the same settings and resolution).

Last edited:

Denton

Maybe try to get 32 Gigs of RAM. Not sure you gonna be happy with 16 Gigs.
I agree that for new PC, I would go for 32. On the other hand, I have 16 now, and I have yet to play a game where it wasn't enough. Of course, swap file needs to be set properly in windows. If someone has 16GB and sets swap to 1GB, they will have a bad time.

Astray

Gold Member
Hey Gaf guys and gals

First of all, i’m very sorry if there is a dedicated thread because I’ve mist have missed it. If there is just link it and close the thread.

This is the specs my friend recommended and it’s a build with a price I can handle. Question is, how is it and how many years it can last or IF it can handle everything than I can run on it.

Base Component
CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 7700X - 8-Core 4.5 GHz - Socket AM5 - 105W Desktop Processor
SSD M.2Kingston NV2 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Internal SSD Up to 3500 MB/s SNV2S/1000G (BOX)
POWER SUPPLY UNITS (PSU)CORSAIR RM750e Fully Modular Low-Noise ATX Power Supply - CP-9020262-UK

Note: Not editing. Maybe streaming but of course the focus is AAA gaming mainly.
Make the GPU the last thing you get because 4070/4070 ti/4080 SUPER variants are coming in January, and they will either lower the pricing on the GPU model you're after or you can go for more performance for the same cash you had budgeted.

Also I would recommend 32 gigs of ram if you can swing it, current gen console has lifted the 8/16 gig floor from previous gen.

Also where's the case? Do you already have one or do you need one?

EDIT: Also the PSU is going to be a future bottleneck.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Only thing I have a problem with is the PSU, its running at its limit now and who knows how much power the next gen of GPU will take, even 850 feels like your cutting it close these days with the insane GPU power demands.

That is a good PSU, with good efficiency.
850W is a lot for an efficient PSU. We have to consider that when AMD and NVidia post the requirements for their GPUs, they exaggerate, because they know there are people who will pair it with cheap PSUs with efficiency around the 50-60%.
This system will only use around 420W. So with a 850W PSU, he will have a big margin. In fact, he can go with a 650W PSU, with no problem.
Even with a 4090, he would still have a good margin.

Power2-p.webp

Only thing I have a problem with is the PSU, its running at its limit now and who knows how much power the next gen of GPU will take, even 850 feels like your cutting it close these days with the insane GPU power demands.
750 is plenty. A 7800X3D averages about 60 watts while gaming and a 4070Ti will pull 285 at the very most.

hinch7

Like others said spend a bit more for the CPU for longevity. The 7800X3D will last you ages with AM5 platform. For RAM get 32GB 6000MT/s CL30, its best in slot for the CPU and RAM is well, cheap still. Same with SSD, go with gen 4 and perhaps 2TB considering that you only have limited amount of NVMe slots. Though its okay to skip on SSD if money is tight. I would recommend buying now as memory prices are at rock bottom rn and will go up next year.

If budget concious and want best bang for buck, replace AiO with a decent air cooler like a Thermalright Phantom Spirit; which is only $30-40 on Amazon. And is more than enough for 7800X3D. There's even a neo model with slightly improved fans with RGB.

And for the graphics card, wait the Super refresh before buying. Its announcement is next month and release soon. And get either the 4070 Super (replaces the 4070Ti at $600-650) or the 4070Ti Super which is a tad slower than a 4080 at $800-ish.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Honestly the CPU is fine. Sure the 3D CPU is better but rather focus your budget on things that matter more.

The most critical thing is to upgrade your RAM capacity to 32GB, the next is try and get a 4080 if your budget allows for it, if not wait until end of Jan for the 4070 Ti Super. Both options will get you a 16GB card and your PC will be fine for the next 5 years.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I recommend 32gb RAM to keep the standards great

With this, two years playing at max and playing great for five years. After that I guess that a new thing here and there will need to change if you want to get the greatness back

Your biggest concern will be cleaning (software and hardware) until the next generation of consoles arrive for sure

STARSBarry

Gold Member
750 is plenty. A 7800X3D averages about 60 watts while gaming and a 4070Ti will pull 285 at the very most.

He asked about future proofing, I'm thinking of the power draw from the 5000 and 6000 GPU series if he wants an 80 and not a 70 later down the line.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You can drop that cpu to 7600 and get better/more ram and a faster ssd( should have 2 of these for better performance .. one for windows and one for game installs ).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’d agree with most of the advice here.

- 6000 MHz 32GB RAM

- don’t need water cooling unless you like the way it looks. I’d go with a Scythe Fuma 3 or something like that

- 7700X is a fine CPU. 7800X3D is the ultimate gaming CPU. How much are you paying for the 7700X? The X3D has been going for around $350 lately. Get the X3D unless the 7700X is much cheaper

GHG

You can drop that cpu to 7600 and get better/more ram and a faster ssd( should have 2 of these for better performance .. one for windows and one for game installs ).

Definitely don't do this.

You'll see a more tangible performance gain from having a 7800x3d than you will from having a faster SSD.

Friends don't let friends buy 6 core CPU's in 2023.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Like others have said get the 7800X3D for ~$50-60 extra. For a AM5 gaming rig you go for either the 7600(X) at $230 or 7800X3D at $400, ignore everything in-between.

buenoblue

Hold out for 4070 super release mid January. 4070 ti performance for 4070 price. Other than that seems good. Though I go fans now I don't think water cooling is needed and you need fans on radiator anyway.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Definitely don't do this.

You'll see a more tangible performance gain from having a 7800x3d than you will from having a faster SSD.

Friends don't let friends buy 6 core CPU's in 2023.
Nah not every game will use that extra cpu performance but every game will use a faster ssd. Plus amd will put out new cpus sooner than later. That more faster ram and better ssds will last a lot longer than that cpu/gpu.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Hey Gaf guys and gals

Base Component

X670E MB if you can.
7800X3D isn't much more.
16gbs isn't enough ram.
Try for a WD Black sn850 nvme.
800+ watts if you can.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, just double checked the spec and didnt notice the 16GB of ram.

100% go for 32GB and wait a month to get the 4070Ti super! do not buy the 4070 Ti now.

I'd still say get 6000MHz ram, but each to their own.

Last edited:

icerock

7800X3D like many have mentioned before. It is by far the best gaming CPU on market.

32GB RAM minimum as well. Upgrade to a bigger PSU 850W for future purpose, will hardly be $20 difference. And, get a bigger SSD! It will fill out fast. Get 2TB and if possible stretch to 4!

Last edited:

GHG

Nah not every game will use that extra cpu performance but every game will use a faster ssd. Plus amd will put out new cpus sooner than later. That more faster ram and better ssds will last a lot longer than that cpu/gpu.

Sorry, this is just flat out poor advice. Especially given the state of the average PC port these days.

The CPU is one of the most key components and processors with the 3dv cache deal a lot better with games that have stuttering issues than processors without it.

He'll have a much better experience, both now and in the future, via upgrading his CPU choice than he will by downgrading it.

winjer

Gold Member
I’d agree with most of the advice here.

- 6000 MHz 32GB RAM

- don’t need water cooling unless you like the way it looks. I’d go with a Scythe Fuma 3 or something like that

- 7700X is a fine CPU. 7800X3D is the ultimate gaming CPU. How much are you paying for the 7700X? The X3D has been going for around $350 lately. Get the X3D unless the 7700X is much cheaper

Why do people insist on 6000MT/s memory, on a CPU that can't take advantage of such high speeds?

Here is how the Infinity Fabric works in Zen4:
Each CCX has a read data path of 32 bits, through the IF.
CPUs like the 7600, 7700 and 7800X3D are all single CCX CPUs.

To calculate the bandwidth of the IF we just multiply 32 bits X number of data paths X IF clock speed.

So for a single CCX CPU, if we OC the IF to 2000 Mhz:

32 bits X 1 data path X 2000 Mhz= 64 GB/s

Now let's calculate the memory bandwidth for 6000 MT/s

6000 MT's X (2 X 64 Bits) / 8 = 96 GB/s

96Gb/sis a lot, but it doesn't matter, because the data will have to go through the IF at 64GB/s.
So it's pointless to have such high speeds.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Make the GPU the last thing you get because 4070/4070 ti/4080 SUPER variants are coming in January, and they will either lower the pricing on the GPU model you're after or you can go for more performance for the same cash you had budgeted.

Also I would recommend 32 gigs of ram if you can swing it, current gen console has lifted the 8/16 gig floor from previous gen.

Also where's the case? Do you already have one or do you need one?
Yes, case is available.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Why do people insist on 6000MT/s memory, on a CPU that can't take advantage of such high speeds?

Here is how the Infinity Fabric works in Zen4:
Each CCX has a read data path of 32 bits, through the IF.
CPUs like the 7600, 7700 and 7800X3D are all single CCX CPUs.

To calculate the bandwidth of the IF we just multiply 32 bits X number of data paths X IF clock speed.

So for a single CCX CPU, if we OC the IF to 2000 Mhz:

32 bits X 1 data path X 2000 Mhz= 64 GB/s

Now let's calculate the memory bandwidth for 6000 MT/s

6000 MT's X (2 X 64 Bits) / 8 = 96 GB/s

96Gb/sis a lot, but it doesn't matter, because the data will have to go through the IF at 64GB/s.
So it's pointless to have such high speeds.

I only mention it, because it usually nets you a few extra FPS on average...and if it doesn't cost that much more then cool...But you are right. If it is considerably cheaper to go 5200Mhz, just do that.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I only mention it, because it usually nets you a few extra FPS on average...and if it doesn't cost that much more then cool...But you are right. If it is considerably cheaper to go 5200Mhz, just do that.

On a Zen4 CPU with only one CCX, higher speeds do nothing.
The only thing that helps is lower latency.
If this was a 7900, 7950, then the faster memory would result in an improvement.

Besides, if the user chooses to pick up a 7800X3D, fast memory is not necessary with all that L3 cache.

PeteBull

Other recommendations? I could change the parts so your advice is appreciated.
Seeing u wanna buy 4070ti i wanna point u out to this leak https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...eview-and-sales-embargo-information-leaks-out

Tldr in 2weeks there will be announced 3 new gpus in the area of price/perf u targeting, so especially if u live in the US/first world country and can wait few more weeks- its worth to wait out tiny bit longer and get brand new/better gpu for same/simialar money.

As many have said, wait a month for the announcements of the super cards. They will have added vram which will help the longevity of the card.

With amd cpus you either go 7800x3d which is the best cpu for gaming right now or save money and go 7600. I have a 4070 ti paired with a 7600 and cpu usage is consistently very low. Air cool it with a peerless assassin 120.

The real question is what resolution will you be playing? The build you currently have will be great at 1440p. 4070 ti handles 4k just fine as well but vram will be an issue going forward and you won't be able to play around with ray tracing as much.

I recently switched from 1080p to 1440p and while games look better, the screen feels too big to me even at 27 inches. You can put together a really good 1080p build for less than 1k and the monitors are a lot cheaper if you're not set on 1440p.

I'd also add that graphics cards are made by nvidia and then brands like Zotac, Asus, Gigabyte, etc, stick them in their own coolers and sell them. Generally, go for the cheapest option available. 4070 ti should go for a price around 750-850 usd.

Last edited:

Senua

I'm not saying don't go 32gb ram, but i've yet to see my 16gb be maxed out. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough!

twilo99

32GB of RAM is a good idea but that’s also very easy to upgrade at a later time, just make sure to leave two empty slots.

Yes to the 7800X3D, since it's the fastest and most efficient CPU for gamming.
No need to go 6000MT/s with a single CCD Zen4 CPU. As it will always be limited by the IF bandwidth.

Fast ram doesn’t seem to matter as much with those 3D AMD parts for whatever reason..

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Maybe try to get 32 Gigs of RAM. Not sure you gonna be happy with 16 Gigs.
If your not using your PC like a multitasking workstation or editing suit, 32 overkill for gaming.

Memory allocation (as wel as other specs) around build around console limitations. So sticking around those consoles boundaries (going a bit above) is just fine, without unnecessary ballooning your budget.

However, RAM speed is way more impactful, I would focus on that.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Okay guys, I might be going overboard with this but I have the finances for it: Again I need your help please

CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D - Ryzen 9 7000 Series 16-Core 4.2 GHz Socket AM5 120W AMD Radeon Graphics Desktop Processor - 100-100000908WOF
GRAPHICS PROCESSING UNIT (GPU)Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6X
POWER SUPPLY UNITS (PSU)CORSAIR RM1000e Fully Modular Low-Noise ATX Power Supply - ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 Compliant - 105°C-Rated Capacitors - 80 PLUS Gold - Modern Standby Support

7950x3d is actually worse than the 7800x3d for gaming believe it or not. Get 32 gb of ddr5. 4090s are going for close to 1,000k over msrp right now due to the Chinese export ban. If you can get one close to 1600 usd, go for it. And if you have the money to burn definitely get 4tb of storage. You can run out pretty quickly.

HL3.exe

Okay guys, I might be going overboard with this but I have the finances for it: Again I need your help please

CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D - Ryzen 9 7000 Series 16-Core 4.2 GHz Socket AM5 120W AMD Radeon Graphics Desktop Processor - 100-100000908WOF
POWER SUPPLY UNITS (PSU)CORSAIR RM1000e Fully Modular Low-Noise ATX Power Supply - ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 Compliant - 105°C-Rated Capacitors - 80 PLUS Gold - Modern Standby Support
If you have the finances for it, go for it. This is a beast if a machine. If its only for gaming, I would swap out for a 7800X3D.

7950x3D is more suited for workstation use, like video editing or multitasking.

Edit: you could honestly just copy the specs from the PC on the left in the video. You're already nearly there haha.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

7800X3D is better for gaming.
16gb isn't enough.
That nvme is dated.

Top Bottom