• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About to jump in into PC land. Help!

S0ULZB0URNE

7950x3d is actually worse than the 7800x3d for gaming believe it or not. Get 32 gb of ddr5. 4090s are going for close to 1,000k over msrp right now due to the Chinese export ban. If you can get one close to 1600 usd, go for it. And if you have the money to burn definitely get 4tb of storage. You can run out pretty quickly.
You can't get a 4090 for retail.

Freeman76

Recently bought a gaming PC and absolutely love it.

I have a 4070, 32GBddr5 and a 7800x3d and it runs anything I throw at it with no issues at all.

Rdr2 4k Ultra hits over 100fps at times, never drops under 50fps.

Guild wars 2 runs on ultra settings 4k at 120fps every map, and even in huge events with 50+ players zerging a huge boss it stays over 60fps.

I was always dismissive of PC gaming but I am fully converted. The thought of replaying games I loved on console that ran like shit is exciting.

I bought Arkham Knight off cdeys for 3 quid, everything maxed including all the nvidia effects at 4k it doesnt drop below 70fps and looks incredible.

Hopefully the steam sale starts soon, I put 100 aside for that cant wait to jump into some older games at 4k with high fps.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hey Gaf guys and gals

First of all, i’m very sorry if there is a dedicated thread because I’ve mist have missed it. If there is just link it and close the thread.

This is the specs my friend recommended and it’s a build with a price I can handle. Question is, how is it and how many years it can last or IF it can handle everything than I can run on it.

Specs below: and again i’m very new to this.

Base Component
MOTHERBOARDSGigabyte B650 GAMING X AX 1.0 DDR5 AM5
CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 7700X - 8-Core 4.5 GHz - Socket AM5 - 105W Desktop Processor
GRAPHICS PROCESSING UNIT (GPU)ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Trinity OC WHITE
MEMORYTEAMGROUP DELTA RGB DDR5 DESKTOP MEMORY BLACK 16GB(2x8GB) 5200MHz CL40
SSD M.2Kingston NV2 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Internal SSD Up to 3500 MB/s SNV2S/1000G (BOX)
COOLINGDeepCool 360mm LE720 ARGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler
POWER SUPPLY UNITS (PSU)CORSAIR RM750e Fully Modular Low-Noise ATX Power Supply - CP-9020262-UK

Note: Not editing. Maybe streaming but of course the focus is AAA gaming mainly.

Please see post #47 (Different configurations)
This will last you for the rest of the gen and should run everything at 2x PS5 resolution/framerate. Just be aware that this will NOT run everything at MAX settings so be ready to make compromises, run most stuff on high with some further downgrades to medium settings. Also beware DLSS balanced or performance will be required to run most high end games like AW2 and Avatar at 60 fps using high/medium settings.

Do this only if you have extra cash:
Upgrade your GPU to 4080 if you want to max out everything but thats an extra $400.
Upgrade your CPU to 7800x3D simply because for an extra $100 you are getting the best CPU out there that will last you the rest of the gen. But 7700x is fine too.

Do this even if you dont have extra cash. These two are very critical:

Upgrade you SSD to 2TB minimum. 1 TB is simply not enough.
Upgrade your power supply to 1000 Watts. 750 will limit your options if you want to upgrade. 4070 Ti might be enough, but 4080 and above and you are going to have to upgrade that.

Get the AMD 7800X3D CPU and bump to 6000MHz ram and you're laughing!
Does 6000MHz make that big a difference compared to 5600? (yes, I know in the OP it was only 5200, which is obviously pretty low by today's standard)
The only 6000 RAM I can get right now is good, but with some ugly RGB... guess I can always deactivate it though.

~edit: nvm, went through the other replies

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Also, OP, if possible, find a bundle of CPU+Motherboard+RAM, you can save quite a bit of money on these packages.

Senua

You don't play modern games at high settings,fps and resolutions with 16.
I do. I don't use PT or anything crazy but I never hit my 16gb limit and I play at 4k (DLSS quality) and 60+fps. Not saying 32 isn't a nice safety net to have but not a necessity from my experience at least...Do you have different experiences?

Hudo

If your not using your PC like a multitasking workstation or editing suit, 32 overkill for gaming.

Memory allocation (as wel as other specs) around build around console limitations. So sticking around those consoles boundaries (going a bit above) is just fine, without unnecessary ballooning your budget.

However, RAM speed is way more impactful, I would focus on that.

I was also thinking about the longer term, like 4 years out. And with the stupid Pro versions of the consoles looming over the very close horizon, I'd still say go with 32 Gigs. That also accounts for shitty optimization.

S0ULZB0URNE

I do. I don't use PT or anything crazy but I never hit my 16gb limit and I play at 4k (DLSS quality) and 60+fps. Not saying 32 isn't a nice safety net to have but not a necessity from my experience at least...Do you have different experiences?
So low resolution.
Games like Returnal run better with 32 and games like Rachet and Clank are stutter free with 64.
I use 64gb's and thus far am stutter free.

peish

7800x3d
2x24gb 6400mhz ( these will last longer, and overclocks better in case you drop in 8800x3d in future)
arctic freezer 360mm (arctic makes best value aio last i checked)
2tb samsung 990, wd 850snx, hynix p41 platinum (pick either one)

Senua

So low resolution.
Games like Returnal run better with 32 and games like Rachet and Clank are stutter free with 64.
I use 64gb's and thus far am stutter free.
In what world is 4k DLSS quality low resolution? You do come out with some shite. Who games at native 4k on newer titles on PC? It's an absolute waste. But you know what, I'm gonna try native 4k when I get home to see what my memory usage is like

HL3.exe

I was also thinking about the longer term, like 4 years out. And with the stupid Pro versions of the consoles looming over the very close horizon, I'd still say go with 32 Gigs. That also accounts for shitty optimization.
True. Shitty to think PC users need to take borked optimization into account.

I still think 16 to 24 is good enough for the time being and upgrade overtime if necessary. And I say this as someone who used to build overkill PC's 2 years after every consoles generation leap, cranking ever setting up to the max. (Back when these settings had actually meaningful differences)

But stopped doing this with this gen and started upgrading incrementally, after noticing my (at that time) high-end build could still run every current gen title smooth at 1440p, and I feel ultra setting are completely overrated and unnecessary performance sapping without meaningful visual gains. Using optimized settings from DF or Hardware unboxed and the like, is perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Hudo

True. Shitty to think PC users need to take borked optimization into account.

I still think 16 to 24 is good enough for the time being and upgrade overtime if necessary. And I say this as someone who used to build overkill PC's 2 years after every consoles generation leap, cranking ever setting up to the max. (Back when these settings had actually meaningful differences)

But stopped doing this with this gen and started upgrading incrementally, after noticing my (at that time) high-end build could still run every current gen title smooth at 1440p, and I feel ultra setting are completely overrated and unnecessary performance sapping without meaningful visual gains. Using optimized settings from DF or Hardware unboxed and the like, is perfectly fine.
Fair enough. I'm just trying to give some advice that I think might be helpful. In the end, it's up to OP to decide what he/she wants do to.

Well, enough with the serious talk, I'll go back to shitposting!

S0ULZB0URNE

In what world is 4k DLSS quality low resolution? You do come out with some shite. Who games at native 4k on newer titles on PC? It's an absolute waste. But you know what, I'm gonna try native 4k when I get home to see what my memory usage is like
It's not 4K.

Astray

Gold Member
Yes, case is available.
Then make sure it can fit your GPU, CPU Cooler etc.

If you can't run a compatibility check then find the case specs and run the check yourself.

What you definitely want to look out for is GPU length, PSU length and where you would install the AiO.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Okay guys, I might be going overboard with this but I have the finances for it: Again I need your help please

MOTHERBOARDSGigabyte B650 GAMING X AX 1.0 DDR5 AM5
CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D - Ryzen 9 7000 Series 16-Core 4.2 GHz Socket AM5 120W AMD Radeon Graphics Desktop Processor - 100-100000908WOF
GRAPHICS PROCESSING UNIT (GPU)Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6X
MEMORYTEAMGROUP DELTA RGB DDR5 DESKTOP MEMORY BLACK 16GB(2x8GB) 5200MHz CL40
SSD M.2Kingston NV2 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Internal SSD Up to 3500 MB/s SNV2S/1000G (BOX)
COOLINGDeepCool 360mm LE720 ARGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler
POWER SUPPLY UNITS (PSU)CORSAIR RM1000e Fully Modular Low-Noise ATX Power Supply - ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 Compliant - 105°C-Rated Capacitors - 80 PLUS Gold - Modern Standby Support
Beast of a machine though would look at the price difference to drop to a 7800X3D CPU and bump to at least 6000 MHz RAM and you are golden

Even though are minor tweaks and wont see a big change in performance to what you have picked here

Senua

So it's not the same resource wise.
Lol for acting pcmr with 16gb btw.
Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

One day you will look back at how you behaved as a young adult and be very embarrassed, I'm hopeful you will grow one day mate.

MikeM

Only major thing is the RAM- up to 6000mhz cl30. If you want, go 7800x3d but you don’t need it as the 7700x is plenty good.

Only thing I don’t like is the 4070ti with 12GB of vram. I went 7900xt because it has 20gb and I would hate to manage vram on such an expensive GPU. Can you wait for the super version?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Okay how is this:

• CASESCougar Duoface Pro RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case Black

• MOTHERBOARDSGigabyte B650 GAMING X AX 1.0 DDR5 AM5

• CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT (CPU)AMD Processor Ryzen 9 7900 - Ryzen 9 12-Core Socket AM5 65W AMD Radeon Graphics Processor -100-100000590BOX

• GRAPHICS PROCESSING UNIT (GPU)ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Trinity OC WHITE

• MEMORYKingston Fury Renegade DDR5 Silver 32GB 6000MT/s DDR5 CL32 DIMM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit of 2 - KF560C32RSK2-32

• SSD M.2Kingston 4TB (4000GB) Fury Renegade SSD M.2 (2280), NVMe, PCIe 4.0, Gen 4x4, Heatsink, 7300MB/s R, 7000MB/s W

• COOLINGNZXT Kraken Elite RGB 360mm - RL-KR36E-B1 – RGB AIO CPU Liquid Cooler – Customizable LCD Display - 3 x F120RGB Core Fans Radiator Fans Black LGA 1700 / AM5 Compatible

• POWER SUPPLY UNITS (PSU)Corsair RM1000x 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply

Last edited:

Freeman76

Just be aware that this will NOT run everything at MAX settings so be ready to make compromises, run most stuff on high with some further downgrades to medium settings. Also beware DLSS balanced or performance will be required to run most high end games like AW2 and Avatar at 60 fps using high/medium settings.
Not my experience with a similar build to his, unless the 7800x3d makes a huge difference that is.

S0ULZB0URNE

Okay how is this:

• CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT (CPU)AMD Processor Ryzen 9 7900 - Ryzen 9 12-Core Socket AM5 65W AMD Radeon Graphics Processor - 100-100000590BOX

• GRAPHICS PROCESSING UNIT (GPU)ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Trinity OC WHITE

• MEMORYKingston Fury Renegade DDR5 Silver 32GB 6000MT/s DDR5 CL32 DIMM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit of 2 - KF560C32RSK2-32

• SSD M.2Kingston 4TB (4000GB) Fury Renegade SSD M.2 (2280), NVMe, PCIe 4.0, Gen 4x4, Heatsink, 7300MB/s R, 7000MB/s W

• COOLINGNZXT Kraken Elite RGB 360mm - RL-KR36E-B1 – RGB AIO CPU Liquid Cooler – Customizable LCD Display - 3 x F120RGB Core Fans Radiator Fans Black LGA 1700 / AM5 Compatible

• POWER SUPPLY UNITS (PSU)Corsair RM1000x 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply
Cyberpower right?
Add extra case fans.

Okay how is this:

• CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT (CPU)AMD Processor Ryzen 9 7900 - Ryzen 9 12-Core Socket AM5 65W AMD Radeon Graphics Processor -100-100000590BOX

7800x3d>7900

It is the best cpu for gaming, lol.

You can buy a peerless assassin 120 for 35 dollars instead of 250 dollar liquid cooler. Put that money towards a 4080 or put it in your pocket.

hinch7

7800x3d>7900

It is the best cpu for gaming, lol.

You can buy a peerless assassin 120 for 35 dollars instead of 250 dollar liquid cooler. Put that money towards a 4080 or put it in your pocket.
Yup 7800X3D and forget about upgrades for a while. And true, AIO's are way overkill for this CPU. Especially if just for gaming. And it would actually be quieter to run an air cooler without all the pump noise. Its also set and forget while AIO's only have a limited lifespan. Plus that money can be put towards more and faster RAM and storage space. Where you would actually notice a difference - games aren't getting any smaller. Could also wait out for the 4080 Super since his/her budget is higher now which is rumored to be coming in at $1000.

For the Peerless Assassin, its been recomended a few times and while its a great its been superseeded somewhat by the Phantom Spirit. Comes in at the exact same price point with better thermals, at a lower noise level.

Last edited:
That is a good PSU, with good efficiency.
850W is a lot for an efficient PSU. We have to consider that when AMD and NVidia post the requirements for their GPUs, they exaggerate, because they know there are people who will pair it with cheap PSUs with efficiency around the 50-60%.
This system will only use around 420W. So with a 850W PSU, he will have a big margin. In fact, he can go with a 650W PSU, with no problem.
Even with a 4090, he would still have a good margin.

Power2-p.webp

PSU efficiency means absolutely dick for the actual power required. You just need good guts and the required amps for the 12v rail basically.

PSU efficiency is AC to DC conversion.

32GB of RAM is a good idea but that’s also very easy to upgrade at a later time, just make sure to leave two empty slots.

Fast ram doesn’t seem to matter as much with those 3D AMD parts for whatever reason..

Umm, that's a bad idea as us of several months ago. You're looking at lower than JEDEC specs for that for DDR5...

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Get a GPU with 16GB vram. Maybe wait for CES and get a look at the 4070 Ti Super. Go with 32GB system ram, and go with a 2TB NVMe that’s faster than 3500MB/s. 1TB ain’t shit and that’s slow for modern SSDs.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Okay how is this:

- If you're not very space restrained always get a big tower. Also forget RGB etc and just go for the case with the best possible airflow. A big case with good airflow and good quality fans is whisper quiet.
- the 7900 is worse for gaming than the x3d. Unless this machine is for heavy productivity use it's a total waste of money.
- If you want to go for heavy overclocking you'd need a custom liquid loop including the GPU. The one component AIO liquid cooling solutions are just expensive nonsense. Unless you are going for benchmark high scores and are ready to invest several hundred bucks extra for a custom solution just forget all about liquid cooling and spend the money for a higher GPU tier f.e.

Last edited:

iQuasarLV

I would
  • downgrade the 4070 Ti to a 7800 XT
  • remove the 7700x
  • downgrade the modular power supply (its easy to burn out your computer with modular)
Savings $340. That $300 does not get you proportional performance on the 4070 Ti versus the 7800 XT. I wish it did but you can get better gains by putting that money elsewhere.

With those funds gained
  • upgrade the memory to 32GB DDR5-6000
    • +$10
  • upgrade the SSD to 2TB Gen4 (Gen5 is a waste of money for no gaming performance return)
    • +$60
  • upgrade to an 850watt semi modular power supply like the Thermaltake BM3 850watt (give yourself some headroom)
    • -$10
  • Upgrade to the 7800 x3d and not the one above (the x3d v-cache only works on 8 cores and nothing more)
    • +$70
With an additional $200 in savings you can customize your computer case / keyboard / mouse / monitor choices that were not listed.

lachesis

Well, I have similar going on now... Thinking about building a new PC once new 40xx Supers are out and available.

Of course would see how they are priced and actual performance etc - but sounds like 4070 ti super seem to have gained most cuda cores and memory bumps - so if the pricing is reasonable, I am thinking about going with it.

7800x3d seems to be the cpu to go for now for gaming, and AM5 will be compatible with at least another gen…. I am more workstation oriented, so will likely go with 7950x3d for extra cores.

I also find motherboard is pretty important, so I’d say go with one that suits and at least future proofs your need. I chose one with USB4 ports as I will likely keep the machine for at least 5-6 years, and maybe those will be more widely available?

Last edited:

Zathalus

Yeah, native 4k is mostly pointless these days with how good DLSS is. I only use it on titles that don't have DLSS or games that are not heavy.

I'd rather have a much higher FPS that 4k DLSS quality provides and I have a 4090 and 64GB RAM.

Last edited:

Senua

Yeah, native 4k is mostly pointless these days with how good DLSS is. I only use it on titles that don't have DLSS or games that are not heavy.

I'd rather have a much higher FPS that 4k DLSS quality provides and I have a 4090 and 64GB RAM.
Any sane person would, it's just dick swinging immature bullshit with him anyway lol.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Okay ladies and gents,

This what I settled for after a lot of back and forth, and just as what my friend said, don’t get stuck on the consoles mentality (I’ve been playing consoles all my life) as you can always upgrade the parts, and this is by his words “can handle even the most demanding AAA titles”

Components:
  • Case: CUBE FLOW XL with 6 RGB Fans
  • Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B760-PLUS DDR5
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core LGA 1700
  • GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Twin Edge
  • Memory: TEAMGROUP DELTA RGB DDR5 16GB (2x8GB) 5200MHz CL40
  • SSD: Kingston NV2 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Internal SSD (Up to 3500 MB/s)
  • Cooling: DeepCool 360mm LE720 ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
  • PSU: CORSAIR RM750e Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Peripherals:
  • Monitor: Acer Nitro VG272U 2k QHD IPS 170Hz 1MS 27"
  • Combo: Redragon S117 Gaming Keyboard Mouse

winjer

Gold Member
Okay ladies and gents,

This what I settled for after a lot of back and forth, and just as what my friend said, don’t get stuck on the consoles mentality (I’ve been playing consoles all my life) as you can always upgrade the parts, and this is by his words “can handle even the most demanding AAA titles”

Components:
  • Case: CUBE FLOW XL with 6 RGB Fans
  • Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B760-PLUS DDR5
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-12700F 2.1 GHz 12-Core LGA 1700
  • GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Twin Edge
  • Memory: TEAMGROUP DELTA RGB DDR5 16GB (2x8GB) 5200MHz CL40
  • SSD: Kingston NV2 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Internal SSD (Up to 3500 MB/s)
  • Cooling: DeepCool 360mm LE720 ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler
  • PSU: CORSAIR RM750e Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Peripherals:
  • Monitor: Acer Nitro VG272U 2k QHD IPS 170Hz 1MS 27"
  • Combo: Redragon S117 Gaming Keyboard Mouse

You choose a worse CPU, than the 7800X3D most people recommended you.
Not only it is slightly slower, but it uses twice the power usage while gaming. And it's on a dead platform, meaning no upgrades going forward.

Worse yet, when people recommended you that you didn't need fast memory for the 7800X3D, that was because of the huge L3 cache that CPU has.
But if you are going Intel, then a 6000 or 7200 MT/s kit is recommended.

Also, you have reduced the PSU specs, while having a CPU that uses up more power. This means you have a shorter margin, and are away from the optimal efficiency for the PSU.

Top Bottom