• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC/DC Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slo

If you're trying to convince me that AC/DC released more than one single, you're going to have to come with charts and graphs.

CREMSteve

Yeah, Brian's version just sounds... wrong.

Don't mess with a classic. Just like the band has plenty of hits with Johnson at the helm that would likely sound ridiculous if Scott were to sing them now.

Sorcerer

Live at Donington is one of my most-played concert blu-rays. What it lacks in picture quality some times it more than makes up with an amazing performance by the Johnson-era AC/DC at its peak.

BTW, as much as I liked Bon Scott, the band really hit a home run when they chose Brian Johnson to replace him. I read that they auditioned singer after singer and all these guys tried out by singing like Bon and doing all Bon's stage moves, and none of them felt right. Then Brian Johnson came along with a larger-than-life stage persona that in no way tried to copy Bon, and the band just clicked with him. That fact that he was a regular working-class bloke that the guys could enjoy a beer with sealed the deal.

Funny that Brian was recommend by Bon in a way. Bon was aware of Brian from his first band Geordie.

From Wikipedia:

"Following the death of AC/DC frontman Bon Scott on 19 February 1980, Johnson was asked to audition for the band in London. AC/DC lead guitarist and co-founder Angus Young recalled: "I remember Bon playing me Little Richard, and then telling me the story of when he saw Brian singing [with Geordie]." He says about that night: "There's this guy up there screaming at the top of his lungs and then the next thing you know he hits the deck. He's on the floor, rolling around and screaming. I thought it was great, and then to top it off – you couldn't get a better encore – they came in and wheeled the guy off!'" Johnson was diagnosed with appendicitis later that night, which was the cause of his writhing around on stage.[2] The band agreed immediately that Johnson's performing style fit AC/DC's music."

From what I understand Bon was such a mess at the end, his 33 year old body was really the body of a 60 year old. Bon contemplated one more album with AC/DC then calling it quits, settle down and try to get healthier.

CREMSteve

Funny that Brian was recommend by Bon in a way. Bon was aware of Brian from his first band Geordie.

From Wikipedia:

"Following the death of AC/DC frontman Bon Scott on 19 February 1980, Johnson was asked to audition for the band in London. AC/DC lead guitarist and co-founder Angus Young recalled: "I remember Bon playing me Little Richard, and then telling me the story of when he saw Brian singing [with Geordie]." He says about that night: "There's this guy up there screaming at the top of his lungs and then the next thing you know he hits the deck. He's on the floor, rolling around and screaming. I thought it was great, and then to top it off – you couldn't get a better encore – they came in and wheeled the guy off!'" Johnson was diagnosed with appendicitis later that night, which was the cause of his writhing around on stage.[2] The band agreed immediately that Johnson's performing style fit AC/DC's music."

From what I understand Bon was such a mess at the end, his 33 year old body was really the body of a 60 year old. Bon contemplated one more album with AC/DC then calling it quits, settle down and try to get healthier.
I had no idea about any of this. o_O

Pretty amazing band. They basically only have one type of song they wrote but they do it really well.

I hate this knock on the band. I mean, I get that they don't experiment really at all, but to say they've been rewriting the same 'one song' over and over again is such a fucking slap in the face to a great band that literally paved the way for hundreds of others. This 'one song thing' is like something some music critic wrote in a book once and it caught on with all the people who wanted to sound like they knew what they were talking about but didn't. Touch Too Much sounds nothing like Back in Black, which sounds nothing like T.N.T., which sounds nothing like Night Prowler.

It's like saying Chuck Berry had 'one type of song.'

Madao

in jojo there are a few characters that reference AC/DC, for example, the one that I posted is named D4C, its short for Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. Someone within the show also has a power named after one of the AC/DC albums as well, Ballbreaker. Theres someone named Esidsi as well

hey! that's Wamuu, not Esidisi! wrong Pillar Man.

Matty77

I stand by saying that the Johnson years were formulaic and only serious heavy rock fans should explore that part of their discography beyond an album or two, but to say one song?

No one in their right mind should or would say they have one song and I want to clarify my post was not of that caliber.

My calling them formulaic breaks down to:

If your an AC/DC fan or really into bluesy/heavy rock go nuts.

If not you really only need one but you should own one regardless of your primary music choices( rap,country,jazz,etc) everyone who likes music should own an AC/DC album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom