• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to Larian Studios' Director of Publishing, Baldur's Gate 3 has sold well over 10 million copies

StereoVsn

That’s great news to hear as the game deserves those sales. Proper modding support will make it even more of an evergreen title.

Boralf

No?

Adding more content doesn't mean the launch version is early access. Larian kept adding more and more to Divinity original sin 2 for free. Did that make it early access?
They don't call it DLC nor charge for it. Don't fucking try to diss on them with this shit.
Nah, I was thinking it was EA because of the tons of bug fixes that were mentioned.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I honestly thought it got more than that which was an insane expectation.

But an evergreen title like this, this will keep on selling forever. And with 50$-60$ tag throughout its life.
He says way more and that’s the number of players, not sales. 2M refers to the Early Access players base.

nowhat

Nah, I was thinking it was EA because of the tons of bug fixes that were mentioned.
Given the size of the game and especially how many permutations there are to how things play out, I think it was obvious the game will have some teething issues, especially outside the early access content. No QA department is able to match a horde of RPG nerds trying to break the game in any way they can think of.

Having said that, I played through the game first time at launch on a PS5, and I've certainly played games that have been released in a way buggier state. Witcher 3 for one, and let us not even mention Cyberpunk. The performance was (and somewhat still is) a bit iffy in the third act, but only had a single crash. Usually you can tell there's something wrong going internally (like the dice rolls showing the result immediately instead of adding/removing points first), if that happens save and restart. Not saying that happened very frequently, usually after a >10 hour session.

Fbh

I don't really get why they are so secretive about sales numbers.
The game clearly sold really well, at this point just announcing the sales would probably serve as good PR/Marketing.

Boralf

Given the size of the game and especially how many permutations there are to how things play out, I think it was obvious the game will have some teething issues, especially outside the early access content. No QA department is able to match a horde of RPG nerds trying to break the game in any way they can think of.

Having said that, I played through the game first time at launch on a PS5, and I've certainly played games that have been released in a way buggier state. Witcher 3 for one, and let us not even mention Cyberpunk. The performance was (and somewhat still is) a bit iffy in the third act, but only had a single crash. Usually you can tell there's something wrong going internally (like the dice rolls showing the result immediately instead of adding/removing points first), if that happens save and restart. Not saying that happened very frequently, usually after a >10 hour session.
Ofcourse not, but the state of act III at launch and how it is still today not at the same quality as act 1 tells me that the game was released too soon, and it shouldn't get a free pass as one of the best games of all time for its ambition or scope (and I admire them for it). I have a hard time currently getting through act 3, mostly because of a lack of direction and narrative hook. The game suddenly lost all interest to me at the start of act 3. I didn't have a lot of bugs, although it did feel less polished the further I got into the game. Feels like it was rushed, but now it gets lauded for fixing their rushed game.

Three

Well deserved but that last tweet has me curious about how sales would affect mod support. Does he mean that with 10M sales they're more likely to now monetise it differently or what?

Edit: ah ok, so reading the twitter thread he just means it's difficult to keep the same interaction/engagement with the community when there is a lot more noise now.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I'm curious what sort of toxic messages they were getting in response to their announcement of mod support. What could people possibly have against devs properly supporting mods for their game?!

Sentenza

I'm curious what sort of toxic messages they were getting in response to their announcement of mod support. What could people possibly have against devs properly supporting mods for their game?!
Probably the usual complaints about modding tools being too late, their previous ones being too simple and not very flexible, etc, etc.

DaGwaphics

It's weird how some people want SP games to die so bad.

Hopefully most gamers enjoy variety. As much as I'm not a fan of GaaS games in general, the existence of them doesn't bother me, I'll just keep ignoring most of them. I assume most that only play the live service games are the same.

The title of the thread is wrong. He's not talking about sales. And he's not even talking about the number of players there are currently.
He mentioned the number of players as way above 10 million so we know the game definitely sold at least 10 million copies since BG3 has not been on any type of subscription as far as I know. Thread headline is accurate/correct/factual or w/e you want to call it. You want to discuss about the other stuff he's mentioning there in that twitter thread? Go and start your own thread as this one is about sales numbers. :p

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The sheer scope of what they do with mods here could make this game transcend itself.

10 million? Fuck yeah.

Yonyx

He mentioned the number of players as way above 10 million so we know the game definitely sold at least 10 million copies since BG3 has not been on any type of subscription as far as I know. Thread headline is accurate/correct/factual or w/e you want to call it. You want to discuss about the other stuff he's mentioning there in that twitter thread? Go and start your own thread as this one is about sales numbers. :p
The tweet talks about how they went from 2 to 10 million players in a short time. That could have happened in September or February, we don't know. We also don't know the approximate sales with that data. It could be 10 million or 100 million sales. You're misinforming with the title, but do what you want.

The tweet talks about how they went from 2 to 10 million players in a short time. That could have happened in September or February, we don't know. We also don't know the approximate sales with that data. It could be 10 million or 100 million sales. You're misinforming with the title, but do what you want.
Wrong, the headline is pretty clear that sales can be well over 10 million, and as of this moment it’s the best (and only) indication we’ve had for sales of Baldur’s Gate 3.

Last edited:

Jesb

Release a demo so we can try it. Though it doesn’t really make sense to do one now since they got the sales they want.

Last edited:

Crayon

This is amazing to hear. Another cinderella story. My favorite kind of news.

I must say the glitches are downplayed/underreported. They are fixing stuff and it's getting there. Have they fixed the chests in splitscreen yet? In the latest patch, you can't send items directly to someone not not in your party. Adds some annoying steps to using them as chests lol.

Please god add a 3rd person camera mode, though. I feel this will never happen but the over/iso limitation of camera movement is by far the biggest flaw in the core gameplay. The environments are too convoluted for that.

T-0800

Release a demo so we can try it. Though it doesn’t really make sense to do one now since they got the sales they want.
There is a trial on PSN but you need PSPlus premium. I tried the trial yesterday and thought it looked great. I want a physical copy though.

JayK47

I am playing a modded game now. The last patch and hotfix both broke many mods. I am not a modder, so I do not know what the issue is. But the game has been out for a while now and modding tools are still a ways out. Why even bother? By time mod tools come out, most will have moved on.

FunkMiller

It’s growing on me….

The first few hours were frankly boring, confusing, fiddly and over complicated. But I’m used to the systems now and have started to get into a groove, post goblin camp.

It doesn’t have much immersion to it at all, but the story is pretty decent, the characters are cool (especially Karlach) and I’m happy to continue.

For me, it ain’t the revelation some people seem to think it is though. I guess I prefer my RPGs more immersive and with less constant admin.

XXL

Good. I've bought this twice, on PC and on PS5.

If it releases for the Switch 2, I'll buy it there too.

Game of the Generation.

XXL

I guess I prefer my RPGs more immersive and with less constant admin.
Hot Take GIF by Retro Future E-Girl

It's the most immersive RPG ever made.

There is not much that is off limits as it enables a level of creativity in that we've never really seen in any game and it pretty much does that in any situation in the game.

Its to the point of being surreal.

Keep playing and experiment as much as possible.

FunkMiller

Hot Take GIF by Retro Future E-Girl

It's the most immersive RPG ever made.

There is not much that is off limits as it enables a level of creativity in that we've never really seen in any game and it pretty much does that in any situation in the game.

Its to the point of being surreal.

Keep playing and experiment as much as possible.

Different opinions on what immersive means, I guess. For me, the tiny people and small, isometric environments make the game less immersive than something like Elden Ring, that creates a fully 3D environment. As does the endless administration of every characters stats and equipment. That feels like a lot of busywork to me that doesn’t feel all that immersive.

It’s a great game. But a great game in a very specific way that you have to be in the right frame of mind for.

Last edited:
Reactions: XXL
Top Bottom