• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Adult Link"

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Fight for Freeform said:
Hmm...maybe that's why it looks so awesome?

I guess no matter how you spin it, if you base Link on the "original artwork", you're never gonna get a mature looking Link.

The way I see it, this is how Link would look like if it were made by American developers. And I think it looks AWESOME, far better than what Link currently looks like.

Hahahahahaha...

Wait, you're serious?

Monk

Banned
kpop100 said:
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/souldesigns/portfolio2/link/link_01.jpg

Can you make posting this thing a bannable offense? I feel like my eyes have died. Even tubgirl didn't do that. :/

FightyF

Banned
What's with the retarded "hahah oh are you serious" replies from fanboys?

If you disagree, then say why...or at least say "i disagree".

It looks better than the current Twilight Fairy Link, he looks like a mean dude that can kick some ass, not suck some cock.

Monk

Banned
Link is not sopposed to be some badass aragorn ripoff, he is supposed to be this regular teen facing tremendous odds.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Fight for Freeform said:
What's with the retarded "hahah oh are you serious" replies from fanboys?

If you disagree, then say why...or at least say "i disagree".

It looks better than the current Twilight Fairy Link, he looks like a mean dude that can kick some ass.

Sorry for the inane reply. Let me try again.

The Link model looks like a rather generic "cool buff dude" action figure.

It resembles Link in name only.

There's nothing about Link's character which demands Arnold-like killing power. He's supposed to be a youth on a quest. One of Link's attributes is his ability to use a wide range of weapons and gadgets, instead of just blindly running into trouble and slashing with a sword.

Fancy armor doesn't match Link's character. He's not a warrior or a soldier; he's on a quest to do something. He wears a simple tunic -- perhaps with chainmail underneath. You aren't going to go climbing mountains and exploring woods wearing a bulky suit of armor, or armor plating.

The problem we have is that the model represents an attempt to replace Link with "macho buff man", implying that there is something wrong with his character. We find it hard to believe you fully grasp the central concepts behind the Zelda games and "story".

(As an added bonus, there appears to be veiled contempt... "this is how Link would look if he were designed by a real game company, not those Japanese pansies!")

Fight for Freeform said:
It looks better than the current Twilight Fairy Link, he looks like a mean dude that can kick some ass, not suck some cock.
Twilight Fairy Link can do both, he's versatile.

Get it? lolololol!

Tellaerin

DavidDayton said:

There's nothing about Link's character which demands Arnold-like killing power. He's supposed to be a youth on a quest. One of Link's attributes is his ability to use a wide range of weapons and gadgets, instead of just blindly running into trouble and slashing with a sword.

Fancy armor doesn't match Link's character. He's not a warrior or a soldier; he's on a quest to do something. He wears a simple tunic -- perhaps with chainmail underneath. You aren't going to go climbing mountains and exploring woods wearing a bulky suit of armor, or armor plating.

The problem we have is that the model represents an attempt to replace Link with "macho buff man", implying that there is something wrong with his character. We find it hard to believe you fully grasp the central concepts behind the Zelda games and "story".

(As an added bonus, there appears to be veiled contempt... "this is how Link would look if he were designed by a real game company, not those Japanese pansies!")

To be honest, it seems like you're the one who's failing to grasp the central concept here.

This is one man's attempt to answer the question, 'What would Link be like as an adult?' By going on at length about Link as he's been portrayed and complaining that this interpretation of the character isn't slavishly faithful to Link-as-a-youth, you're missing the entire point.

When people grow up, they change. This model is not supposed to represent 'a youth on a quest', but the adult that youth will eventually grow into. And while I think Link-the-man would definitely be shaped by Link-the-youth, I doubt he'd retain the exact same appearance with an older face, like some prettier version of Tingle. :p

Judging by what you've said in your posts, I'm left with the distinct impression that just posing the question, 'What would Link be like as an adult?' is offensive to you, since wanting to envision Link as anything but a youth would imply that there's 'something wrong with' the character as he is. I don't believe that's the case--extrapolating new designs for an existing character doesn't automatically mean that you dislike the current design, or that you feel you've 'done a better job' than the original designer. I think you could stand to be a little less defensive about all this.

While this interpretation of the character doesn't match my personal vision of Link-as-adult, I see nothing wrong with the thought experiment itself--in fact, I think it's pretty damn interesting, and I'd love to see other peoples' takes on the concept.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Monk said:
Link is not sopposed to be some badass aragorn ripoff, he is supposed to be this regular teen facing tremendous odds.
Exactly.

That guy is like a really strong paladin or something (which is still very cool). But Link is a courageous little boy (Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time) or a courageous teen/adult (Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time). :)

Monk

Banned
While this interpretation of the character doesn't match my personal vision of Link-as-adult, I see nothing wrong with the thought experiment itself--in fact, I think it's pretty damn interesting, and I'd love to see other peoples' takes on the concept.

So you like goth Link too? >_<

I think the problem is that in OoT and MM you relate to this particular link. And you can't fathom yourself as this badass character. Same goes for goth link. And he would never go out of his way to bulk up like what is required to be that guy, also I hate the smug flawless guy look. He almost looks like Fabio.

belgurdo

Banned
...why are people getting so angry over this?

It's an experiment, as was stated many times. Plus if a dude swings a sword for upwards of 10-25 years he's not exactly going to look like a scrawny teenager much, if at all. (What's to say that Hylains stop having body development after a certain age? Ocarina explores into that a bit, giving us a 16-year old Link who is slightly built.) The artist isn't trying to kill your nostalgia buzz or say, "this is how it should be, bitches," he's just displaying his curiosity. Jesus, y'all

Ruzbeh

Banned
belgurdo said:

It's an experiment, as was stated many times. Plus if a dude swings a sword for upwards of 10-25 years he's not exactly going to look like a scrawny teenager much, if at all. (What's to say that Hylains stop having body development after a certain age? Ocarina explores into that a bit, giving us a 16-year old Link who is slightly built.) The artist isn't trying to kill your nostalgia buzz or say, "this is how it should be, bitches," he's just displaying his curiosity. Jesus, y'all
tissuebox_l.jpg

Tellaerin

Monk said:
So you like goth Link too? >_<

I'm not a big fan of the 'goth Link' design itself, at least not as a replacement for the traditional version. On the other hand, I find it interesting to see how other artists interpret well-established characters in general, to see what sort of personal spin they put on the design and how it meshes with the elements people associate with that character. I enjoy seeing different artists try their hand at variations with a common theme (like 'a grown-up Link') for the same reason. Sometimes I like the results, and sometimes I don't (the Wind Waker Link is a prime example of a variation I didn't like, and that one came from Nintendo), but they're interesting to me regardless.

(As far as 'goth Link' goes, the question I have when looking at the design is, 'What premise was the artist working from when he/she designed this?' I'm not sure if it was meant to represent Link as a goth, just to 'look cool', or if there was some other intention behind it. If, say, I were to discover that this was a concept for 'Evil Mirror Link', a twisted reflection of Link that steps out of a magic mirror he passes and proceeds to cause trouble in our hero's name until the real Link tracks him down and confronts him, I'd say, 'Awesome--that design fits the concept perfectly.' As a replacement hero design, it fails miserably, IMO--just too dark, without the purity and nobility I associate with the character. So if I'm a little less quick to pass judgment on 'goth Link', it's because I don't know enough about the artist's intentions.)

koam

belgurdo said:

It's an experiment, as was stated many times. Plus if a dude swings a sword for upwards of 10-25 years he's not exactly going to Fabio-like hair

*fixed*

Jonk

Actually, I like the costume, (put more of a cherrywood, darker brown in there, and you got it). As with the physique, Link wouldn't be as buff, but still able to hold his own.

This is a look I would see an older Link in. It would be interesting to see Twilight Link meet this Link (which would be older since older Link could be from Ocarina). Meeting of the heroes.

A heavily muscled Link breaks the triforce mythos in which he's associative with courage, Zelda with wisdom, Ganon with power.

In regards to his swordfighting, he's more an agility/finesse guy than a hacking barbarian. Keep Link skinny, unless the story angle is that he has acquired the trifroce of power, and in that case, I'd like to see a puny Ganon with either the triforce of courage or wisdom, depending on what you do with Zelda.

I like the figure. Though it's true that his frame is too big. Link's physique isn't going to expand that much. The clothes give him sort of a "royal knight" type of look, which is certainly a possible future after saving the land and rescuing the princess and all that.

I'm not sure why some people seem to be offended just by the idea of a more masculine looking Link. It's just a concept, it's not like this is what Link is going to look like in the games from now on. And there are worse things than having muscles. Like this, for instance:

femininelink8px.jpg

Yeah, I was bored.

Mermandala said:
A heavily muscled Link breaks the triforce mythos in which he's associative with courage, Zelda with wisdom, Ganon with power.

In regards to his swordfighting, he's more an agility/finesse guy than a hacking barbarian. Keep Link skinny, unless the story angle is that he has acquired the trifroce of power, and in that case, I'd like to see a puny Ganon with either the triforce of courage or wisdom, depending on what you do with Zelda.

How about Link with the Triforce of Wisdom?

nerdlink.jpg

bummyhead said:
that's terrible. Link is SUPPOSED to be elven, what is so hard to understand about that?

And what's you insecurity about tights?

Superman better be wearing BATTLE armour in the new movie. Otherwise it's gay.

OH MY GOD IN HEAVEN, LINK IS ELVEN! HOW CAN HE HAVE FORGOTTEN SOMETHING SUCH AS THIS.

OH MY CHRIST, THE GEEK GODS ARE CRYING.

OBLIGITORY SUPERHERO AND COMIC BOOK REFERENCE!

Catapult Beetle said:
I like the figure. Though it's true that his frame is too big. Link's physique isn't going to expand that much. The clothes give him sort of a "royal knight" type of look, which is certainly a possible future after saving the land and rescuing the princess and all that.

I'm not sure why some people seem to be offended just by the idea of a more masculine looking Link. It's just a concept, it's not like this is what Link is going to look like in the games from now on. And there are worse things than having muscles. Like this, for instance:

femininelink8px.jpg

Yeah, I was bored.

That looks like Clodovil link. :lol

Lemurnator said:
OH MY GOD IN HEAVEN, LINK IS ELVEN! HOW CAN HE HAVE FORGOTTEN SOMETHING SUCH AS THIS.

OH MY CHRIST, THE GEEK GODS ARE CRYING.

OBLIGITORY SUPERHERO AND COMIC BOOK REFERENCE!

:lol :lol

Bregor

Mermandala said:

You know, that might actually be a cool way to introduce a branching story into the Zelda games. Depending on who got which triforce, you could have 6 different results.

Porridge

Mag said:
THe ear thing is merely a view, i think of his ears as tucked back, you can see a right ear but you dont have to assume its human, or if you must you could just assume he had them cut in battle, long ears like that stick out its bound to happen.

Theres alot tieing to his original designs, the prominent but still muted green, stepping away from his colorful uniform into a more battle worn armor. The swords green petina is also harken to that i did just to give a feel of his most common color.

And while link may be different in each game its obvious alot of you consider him the same basic character, so on the one hand, your willing to say he can be compeltely different...... as long as he matches the same concept used since the 80s. Whats to say they couldnt make a new zelda game with an adult link such as this...every links different, so is this one, just more radically, he doesnt wear the same costume, and isnt the same age.

And for reference, i've never played castlevania. Im sorry that some of you dont like this, but its not my problem, this was only presented here because my friend liked it, and thought some people may as well, and a few do, and i appreciate their comments. But those of you apparently to set in your ideas of how a character should be seem to be unable to accept a differeng view, and thats fine its your choice to like what you want, just dont trash something because you dont like it. And dont shit on other peoples work, or views because it doesnt fit yours.

Im not here to appease you all, im just explaining my work, and why i did it, its your choice to think what you want, but try to think a bit before you speak.

Trust me, in the right forums you'd get more positive and helpful responses. but this is GAF, where every game player strives to be a comedian

I thought it was an interesting look for Link, I just doubt he'd ever get so muscular. i dug his outfit most of all, because im tired of the goofy Robin Hood get up. pretty cool kitbash

belgurdo

Banned
Bregor said:
You know, that might actually be a cool way to introduce a branching story into the Zelda games. Depending on who got which triforce, you could have 6 different results.

GDorf with the Triforce of Wisdom would be fucking unstoppable

Mermandala said:
:lol That is great. Now I humbly request Zelda with the triforce of POWAAAHHH! WAIL ON GiTAH!!!
Nicole Bass

Behold, Zelda, Princess of Power. :D

zelda2.jpg

And keeping with the theme, the cartoony version:

zelda.jpg

Mag

Porridge said:
Trust me, in the right forums you'd get more positive and helpful responses. but this is GAF, where every game player strives to be a comedian

I thought it was an interesting look for Link, I just doubt he'd ever get so muscular. i dug his outfit most of all, because im tired of the goofy Robin Hood get up. pretty cool kitbash

I was pretty sure it'd probably be that way, so i was hesitant about matlock posting it, but i let him, and while most of the people here are either just more interested in being funny, and some seem downright insulted by it, im glad a few are willing to accept the concept, and are willing to think about the possabilities of an adult link.

The body to me doesnt bother me, but the figure was built using left over parts from a previous custom figure that happened to be this:

mlbatman2.jpg

So the body was used simply because i had it, if i wanted to really make a super awesome link i would probably adopt more LOTR parts and less noticably muscular frame, probably something with more normal sleeves and pants. But for using up left over parts i think i did ok.

Shouta

The concept is nice but it's a bit off in areas. Even with sword training for as long as Link would have, he wouldn't necessarily be that big. He'd be thinner but much more toned rather than beefed up. He's an Elf too and when was the last time you saw a juiced up Elf?

I like the cape idea but the black armor is kinda meh. Keeping a very similar that is reminecesent of Link would probably best. The Green Tunic has gotta stay if you ask me. Put on a breastplate armor akin to the body piece that the hero of Shining Tears is wearing over the Green tunic would be great IMO. Lightly plated gauntlets might work as well. I don't think I'd change much in terms of the lower body though. Link's an agile guy so even a light swab of plate armor on his legs would decrease his movement.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If nothing else, it was a fun exercise. I don't see that as a potential future version of Link, but I do like some of what was done. In particular, I like the costume itself. The color shouldn't be black, and obviously he shouldn't be that bulky, but a slimmer, more earth-toned version of that body was look pretty damn great in a Link-as-Knight motif.

That said, some people just plain overreacted here. This coming from a hopeless Zelda whore.

FightyF

Banned
DavidDayton said:

Thanks, that's a far better response! *LOL*

As stated by Tellaerin, I too see it as Link growing up.

As he grows up, he gains abilities, learns new weapons, becomes more capable, and his enemies will try harder and harder to depose of him, requiring him to be one step ahead in many aspects.

Another reason why I like this Link, is something you've alluded to actually! This is a Link who is on a mission, rather than a quest.

How many times...over and over and over again, will we see the same "weak but full of character Link" go on a "quest". Really...I think it's hard for Miyamoto to keep things fresh in terms of story. WW was a good idea because it was fairly different than the usual. Something like this, something radically different but inherantly familiar to fans would be pretty sweet IMO.

Monk

Banned
TheDiave said:
IAWTP. That piece of art is probably much more on par with how he'd look "grown up."

NO. I refuse to accept that there could be a badass version of Link.

Top Bottom