• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Airlines launch ‘flights to nowhere’

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

All the fuss of air travel without actually going anywhere?

Airlines are hoping that the peculiar concept has some appeal for passengers desperate to satisfy their wanderlust while grappling with coronavirus limitations.

They’re called “no-destination” flights, an idea that comes as airlines entertain ways to boost cash flow amid a severe slump in passenger demand caused by the pandemic.

Singapore Airlines, for example, is considering launching a “flight to nowhere” from Changi Airport, starting in October. Basically, the passengers will board the plane, fly around for a few hours, and come back — a quirky round-trip that could also include staycations at the city’s hotels and limousine ferry rides, according to a report in the Straits Times.

Taiwanese airlines such as STARLUX, EVA, China Airlines, and Tigerair have already operated several.

ANA operated one with its A380 last month.

$780

What a disaster, not sure how many people are Aviation nuts to do this.

M1chl

Make the plane a convertible. It’ll be like a fun little ride.. until you hit 30,000 foots.
AN-ALOHA-AIRLINES-B737-LOSES-ITS-ROOF-MID-FLIGHT.jpg

That's a real photo by the way.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Wow, I can't imagine there are people who would actually crave this. Wonder what exactly they're trying to experience on the flight.

nush

Wow, I can't imagine there are people who would actually crave this. Wonder what exactly they're trying to experience on the flight.

Imagine if you've never experienced flying, maybe you're a kid. The actual flying experience is pretty interesting even if there is no destination. If it was cheap enough sure.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Imagine if you've never experienced flying, maybe you're a kid. The actual flying experience is pretty interesting even if there is no destination. If it was cheap enough sure.
when i was a kid i scared of flying
these are from my first flight, which turned out to not be very scary
i took a window seat so i could shoot video of the takeoff :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
bYa8DZI.jpg
LhOWDOI.jpg

i made em bluer cuz i liked it

Catphish

They should just do what I do...

Play Flight Simulator 2020, take off from your home airport, pick a destination, and fly there. When you arrive, strap on the VR headset, and Google Earth your way around town. Bonus if YouTube has walkaround videos of the town you just landed in.

Nerd as fuck, but fun 🤓

OneBigPuss

when i was a kid i scared of flying
these are from my first flight, which turned out to not be very scary
i took a window seat so i could shoot video of the takeoff :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
bYa8DZI.jpg
LhOWDOI.jpg

i made em bluer cuz i liked it
I see some flat textures in the first pic.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah I’m not a fan of flying so this sounds terrible to me. I especially hate the rocket ship feeling of takeoff but I’m usually fine when the plane levels out.

If I’m going to go through all that then I better be going somewhere fun or having to travel for work.

GAMETA

Banned
Can Airbus pilots fly smaller planes?

Maybe they could offer local tourism flights, but I'm not sure the costs would meet demand to make it viable...

Thank god someone thought of this! I was getting anxious without having toddlers screaming in my ear or having a big fatty insist on not putting the armrest down for...obvious reasons.

You get all the worst parts of a vacation and you end up right back in the same shit hole you were trying to leave! Where do I sign up!?

ExpandKong

Banned
I think the only people who like flying enough to actually consider this probably have their own planes that they fly themselves.

like who the fuck

MilkLizard

As someone who actually works for an airline...this is fucking stupid. Like flying is the cool part about a vacation? JFC

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Airlines would have to pay me. Lol, airlines think I fly with them because I enjoy their shitty service? Hahaha

Or heres a crazy idea.....open up fucking international travel already. Its been half a year already...test before and after you get on the flights. You cant keep millions of peoples lives on hold or from seeing relatives.

Cleared_Hot

As someone who flies once or twice a month cross country (sometimes international) for work, I can't think of a less desirable thing to waste money on.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Do they include a return flight in the staycation package?

I'd enjoy pitching in with other passengers just to see them light a pit of jet fuel on fire.

Mobilemofo

I'd rather play a game of aviation pop off. Where one passenger is armed with a nurf gun and shoots several passengers into unciousness.. Hmm..gonna think this through. The winner gets a fuckin Ford focus..

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
AN-ALOHA-AIRLINES-B737-LOSES-ITS-ROOF-MID-FLIGHT.jpg

That's a real photo by the way.
I'm an aviation nut...yet I prefer co-piloting if it's just to run a few holding patterns.

The incident above was Aloha Airlines flight 243. Explosive decompression to the front aft passenger door after some square paneling cracked away. It was age related. Boeing and the NTSB discovered that the pictured plane was one of Boeing 's first 737s sold for regional Hawaiian flights. It was meant to have been retired years before this incident but was overnighted (I'm just rattling this off from memory). Only one died, a female flight attendant. The floor between the cargo and passengers nearly split and the pilots basically landed this manually. Awesome pilots but crap job of Boeing not retiring the plane decades before.

M1chl

I'm an aviation nut...yet I prefer co-piloting if it's just to run a few holding patterns.

The incident above was Aloha Airlines flight 243. Explosive decompression to the front aft passenger door after some square paneling cracked away. It was age related. Boeing and the NTSB discovered that the pictured plane was one of Boeing 's first 737s sold for regional Hawaiian flights. It was meant to have been retired years before this incident but was overnighted (I'm just rattling this off from memory). Only one died, a female flight attendant. The floor between the cargo and passengers nearly split and the pilots basically landed this manually. Awesome pilots but crap job of Boeing not retiring the plane decades before.
Another fan of Air Crash Investigation, I watched it few times on plane. Great shit, especially with Stephen Bogaert as narrator : )

Anyway I am having PPL licence myself, however I kind of lost track few years back about Aviation. Alcohol is shit.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
A luxury flight to nowhere at Mach 2 - 60,000ft would be fun. Sadly, no such thing exists anymore.

vmtiaubq1wa31.jpg
Yeah, there are actually ways to make flying itself a commercial product. I mean, flying through the air is still pretty remarkable. People still want window seats. People take helicopter rides to look around and then land where they started.

Top Bottom