• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AITA? Xbox Series S for older parents?

MrMephistoX

So I have fond memories playing games with my Dad growing up all the way up to PS3: I thought about going in with my bro sister and sister in law on an Xbox Series S with game pass for my dad and mom for Xmas.

Apparently they think I’m some kind of selfish asshole for wanting to game online with my dad (probably just PGA Tour and maybe maybe Call of Duty) but they also seem to think my parents are too old to figure it out even if I set it all up for them on Xmas Day.

Man getting old sucks but he’s only 75 for chrissakes not an invalid and the Series S to me with Gamepass is pretty idiot proof compared to PS5.

Am I the asshole here?

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think it's a fine gift If your parents are into games and the goal is to spend time together. They may not like it because the way you word it makes it sound like the gift is for your gratification and your siblings won't get to experience it the way you do.

If you want those feelings again I think you should consider going solo on this gift if you can swing it.

MrMephistoX

I think it's a fine gift If your parents are into games and the goal is to spend time together. They may not like it because the way you word it makes it sound like the gift is for your gratification and your siblings won't get to experience it the way you do.

If you want those feelings again I think you should consider going solo on this gift if you can swing it.
Yeah true my suggestion was they should all get one on sale too and we could game as a family like to me that would be fun we’re all grown ass adults with kids and I’ve already got an X and a PS5 whereas they don’t so I can kind of see it.

S0ULZB0URNE

So I have fond memories playing games with my Dad growing up all the way up to PS3: I thought about going in with my bro sister and sister in law on an Xbox Series S with game pass for my dad and mom for Xmas.

Apparently they think I’m some kind of selfish asshole for wanting to game online with my dad (probably just PGA Tour and maybe maybe Call of Duty) thinking my parents aren’t too old to figure it out even if I set it all up for them on Xmas Day.

Man getting old sucks but he’s only 75 for chrissakes not an invalid and the Series S to me with Gamepass is pretty idiot proof compared to PS5.

Am I the asshole here?
Get the higher storage model or just get a XSX.

MrMephistoX

I hope my kids give me a game system when I'm an old(er) man to play with me :messenger_crying:

Just better be the top end model :messenger_winking_tongue:
Agree but $250 for the S for someone who’s going to be blown away by the graphics regardless is a pretty decent value: personally I prefer my PS5 but Gamepass and EA Sports are probably about all he’d play. He did get halfway decent at single player COD on PS3 at one point but hasn’t really touched a controller since.

Last edited:

El Muerto

They're probably not going to play it much, and couldnt tell what's 4k or 1080p, NTA. Get him Red Dead Redemption 1+2 and he'll be set. It will also double as a streaming box. And if they know how to navigate menus and apps enable dev mode and set it up with roms. Play Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo with the old man.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Only thing I'd watch out for when buying a Series S for older parents: they're likely to come across a game they want to play at the supermarket or Walmart or wherever, and just pick up the disk without realizing they won't be able to play it. Ask me how I know.

reinking

Gold Member
You are if you stick your mom and dad with a Series S. 😜

Joking aside, do they have a PS5 now? I noticed you said Series S is easier than PS5. Not sure where that comes in if they are not already using one. If not, does your dad still have an interest in playing games? Like, does he mention it at all? Ask you about what you are playing? If not, I would probably opt for something else. If he is still interested, what about mom? You said the gift was for dad and mom.

I think it is great that you have these memories with your dad and want to recapture those moments. You just have to ask if this is really the best gift for both. Especially if you are asking siblings to chip in.

No, you're not an asshole for wanting to play games with your parents, this mentality is insane to me.

How your parents can navigate the user interface all depends on how tech savvy they are. My grandfather before he passed could barely work the inputs on the television, and my grandmother isn't much better. They might need a lot of handholding.

MrMephistoX

You are if you stick your mom and dad with a Series S. 😜

Joking aside, do they have a PS5 now? I noticed you said Series S is easier than PS5. Not sure where that comes in if they are not already using one. If not, does your dad still have an interest in playing games? Like, does he mention it at all? Ask you about what you are playing? If not, I would probably opt for something else. If he is still interested, what about mom? You said the gift was for dad and mom.

I think it is great that you have these memories with your dad and want to recapture those moments. You just have to ask if this is really the best gift for both. Especially if you are asking siblings to chip in.
Oh no they don’t have a PS5 I do and an XSX but feel like they’d probably have an easier time with the S and it’s an easier sell as a joint gift with my siblings…if they decide no I’m still going to just pay $259 and get it for him myself.

No, you're not an asshole for wanting to play games with your parents, this mentality is insane to me.

How your parents can navigate the user interface all depends on how tech savvy they are. My grandfather before he passed could barely work the inputs on the television, and my grandmother isn't much better. They might need a lot of handholding.
Dad has always been pretty tech savvy they have an Apple TV and did have a PS3 because it was easily the best bluray player on the market at the time. But my other adult siblings were out of the house by the time I started gaming with my dad so they kind of don’t get it and aren’t gamers and also are becoming slightly ageist because he’s slowing down a bit after surviving colon cancer radiation.

I don’t know how many Xmases he’s got left either but I think just relegating him to books and tv is bad for his brain.

Last edited:
Play Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo with the old man.
The old folks home playing Super Turbo
aUft7o2.jpg

Apparently they think I’m some kind of selfish asshole for wanting to game online with my dad (probably just PGA Tour and maybe maybe Call of Duty) but they also seem to think my parents are too old to figure it out even if I set it all up for them on Xmas Day.

Am I the asshole here?
i'm your dad's age, & i own a series s. so, no, you're not an asshole...

AJUMP23

Gold Member
There is a guy on my team in his 60s, he is playing through god of war 2 on the ps5. We ask him for regular updates. He also plays the psvr.

your dad can figure it out.

Gamepass is probably a sure fire way to make them never play any games. IMHO, get a PS4 and a few retail games they would actually play instead of bombarding them with an online only service.

MarkMe2525

I normally would recommend the Series S, as my daughter and I have had nothing but good experiences with it, but the XSX is the cheapest it will ever be for awhile. It's a great deal if you like the xbox ecosystem.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Agree but $250 for the S for someone who’s going to be blown away by the graphics regardless is a pretty decent value: personally I prefer my PS5 but Gamepass and EA Sports are probably about all he’d play. He did get halfway decent at single player COD on PS3 at one point but hasn’t really touched a controller since.

If your dad hasn't played a videogame since the PS3, its probably because he’s just not that interested in gaming. Give him a present that he wants instead of something you want. Otherwise your $250 present will only gather dust.

Oh no they don’t have a PS5 I do and an XSX but feel like they’d probably have an easier time with the S and it’s an easier sell as a joint gift with my siblings…if they decide no I’m still going to just pay $259 and get it for him myself.

Dad has always been pretty tech savvy they have an Apple TV and did have a PS3 because it was easily the best bluray player on the market at the time. But my other adult siblings were out of the house by the time I started gaming with my dad so they kind of don’t get it and aren’t gamers and also are becoming slightly ageist because he’s slowing down a bit after surviving colon cancer radiation.

I don’t know how many Xmases he’s got left either but I think just relegating him to books and tv is bad for his brain.
Tell your siblings to either pound sand, or get on to spend some time with their pops and you. I remember my grandfather (a US Navy vet) getting a kick out of hearing me call out proper nautical directional terms when I was in a big Sea of Thieves kick a few years ago.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

If your dad hasn't played a videogame since the PS3, its probably because he’s just not that interested in gaming. Give him a present that he wants instead of something you want. Otherwise your $250 present will only gather dust.
He has with me at my place but mostly golf and The Show which is why I thought Gamepass would be perfect.

Raonak

Banned
Yeah true my suggestion was they should all get one on sale too and we could game as a family like to me that would be fun we’re all grown ass adults with kids and I’ve already got an X and a PS5 whereas they don’t so I can kind of see it.
Yeah, I'm with your siblings here. You havent really throught it though.

You're basically wanting your siblings to chip in towards a gift that only benefits you, because you already have an xbox.
Suggesting that "they get one too" doesn't help at all, because now you're coersing them to get an xbox even if they have no desire to get one.

And I don't really think gamepass is a good choice because of the whole subscription requirement, and the fact older people are more likely to stick to one or two games only.
The cognitive load of having to learn a new game isn't gonna sit well with older folk.

Crayon

Your intentions are good but I see where your siblings are coming from here. Saying you are being selfish is a very harsh way to put it. I don't know exactly how to put it into words, myself.

Three

You're not being an asshole for buying a gift and wanting to spend time with your dad gaming but do take into account a gift that you know he would like himself. It's easy to fall into a trap of buying a gift that you yourself would enjoy and while usually your heart is in the right place it does nothing for the person you're buying it for. I think that's what they're trying to say when they're thinking you're an 'asshole'. So I would say drop a hint to see if he would like that. Maybe try to spend time with him gaming (by taking your console round). First see if he would like that gift, then buy him one.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

What a weird question. Who would think you're an asshole for wanting to play games with your family?
Anyway, I would skip the subscription service - they aren't going to play games enough to make that worth it at all. Just buy the games they want to play, which will probably only be a couple. In fact, a Switch is probably a better choice for them

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
You are definitely the asshole. Everyone knows that people over the age of 65 are only allowed to play Wii Sports. Your poor siblings are just trying to keep your parents out of jail.

Majormaxxx

Not an ahole but the gift is 70-80% for you and 20-30% for your folks. At least reverse this ratio. Or better yet get something 100% for them.

Top Bottom