• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 and Like a Dragon Gaiden have no physical release, will you buy these games?

Elios83

Yes absolutely.
At this point I only buy physical for some deluxe/collector's editions I care about, the rest (90%) is already digital.

zapper

no, as I didn't buy bg3 on ps5. Either they bring out the retail version or I wait for a significant price drop. they should forget about this practice of releasing only digitally, I appreciate that remedy has lowered the price but it doesn't justify the lack of a physical version imo

I pre ordered Alan Wake 2 deluxe edition.
I don't remember the last time I pre ordered a game so I am pretty hyped about it.

I love digital games but the reason I changed back to physical was simply the price which sometimes is ridiculous.

Gambit2483

I don’t understand how come super niche game like Another Code can have physical copy release but these guys can’t.
image_3_3ddfdd36-4632-47ad-a7f2-c377ceff1ae0_1004x1626.png
I ask myself this question all the time. You even have derpy shovelware crap that manages to get a physical release...but big name games like DOOM or Persona? Nope, not unless Limited Run swoops in. I just don't understand how that works.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I was planning to buy both of them.

But Yakuza is landing on game pass day 1 now, which has made my choice to upgrade Alan Wake to its deluxe edition a no brainer.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
If AW2 is good absolutely. The yakuza games end up on gamepass eventually so I can wait.

I only buy digital . Been that way since end of PS4 era. Getting up to change discs, losing them, etc ain’t worth the $2 trade in credit from GameStop or the shelf space lost.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's probably worse that Alan Wake 2 won't have a Steam release.
yep. Normally I would get ps5 physical disc for epic only releases.
But no physical on consoles...

so epic or psn... yikes. I will still choose PSN but only if ps5 port is good. I will wait.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Im even getting Alan Wake 2 on EGS thats how excited I am for that game.

Hudo

I am OK with games not getting a physical PC release anymore. But for Alan Wake 2, I don't want to install yet another DRM-account-gatekeeping-bullshit. Steam is already enough. So I will wait for a Steam version (or not play it at all).

JimboJones

I don’t understand how come super niche game like Another Code can have physical copy release but these guys can’t.
image_3_3ddfdd36-4632-47ad-a7f2-c377ceff1ae0_1004x1626.png
Probably because it's published by Nintendo.
I expect they will probably only do a limited physical run and then shift all future sales to eShop.

Alan Wake

I certainly don't like it, and I don't buy the "explanation" Remedy has given us. It's BS. But since Alan Wake is one of my favorite games of all time I will of course buy the sequel. As a fan I could easily have purchased an expensive Collector's Edition of AW2 but apparently they don't want my money.

Kusarigama

I hope it doesn't take hold, as digital games are much more expensive than physical ones here. I will not be buying either of these games. If at all then much much later for little money. How about you folks? Do you not care or will you just not support digital only single player games?
I am hoping that after the release of the expansions, they do a complete edition physical release for Alan Wake 2. And I am not interested in Yakuza series.

Edit: Because of studies I couldn't play as much for last 3 years and I have a big backlog. So now I am having a blast going through it.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

You can also wait until they appear on services. LaD always appears soon enough anyway.

I will buy LaD day one though. AW2 not sure.

I will import the asia retail of Gaiden, it has eng subs!
Alan Wake 2, well maybe. I liked the first one, but not passionate.

SHA

I hope it doesn't take hold, as digital games are much more expensive than physical ones here. I will not be buying either of these games. If at all then much much later for little money. How about you folks? Do you not care or will you just not support digital only single player games?
Right, it's no longer about the number of units sold anymore.

Fabieter

Epic Store exclusive is a huge L, even if it added a lot to Remedy's budget.

Epic exclusivity made the budget. I never bought a single game on epic games store but this is fine case of exclusivity. No one would expect cs2 go epics way.

EDMIX

I will buy Like a Dragon from Play Asia physically. I refuse to buy Alan Wake 2 until it gets a physical (or I can get it for <5 USD from Steam).

Same and same.

Fuck em.

I really believe that consumers need their own law to protect their rights regarding this. This is nothing to do with any real legitimate issue on why they're releasing digital only this has everything to do with trying to purposely limit the market to a digital platform to try to hurt consumers to have them have only one method to purchase to control something.

This is no benefit to the consumer.

The fact that it's more expensive on console doesn't even help their efforts or arguing point.

So in my opinion I believe consumers need a law to protect their rights, any AAA game above a specific budget and deciding to market itself as a AAA game should have a physical release on console and I would even go as far as to argue that on PC as well.

When an online games servers are put offline and decommissioned the rights for users to then use their own servers to continue to play online should be permitted and the game should enter a sort of public domain. (they after all still bought a game)

So I want to make clear I'm not anti digital, I'm simply against a Industry purposely trying to eliminate a market to try to remove consumer rights.

Their entire purpose of trying to go digital only is to take away from the consumer the right to sell that game or to purchase it used or to have a market that they actually have to compete against and for them to have the ability to at any time pull the plug on a video game that you legally purchased to try to support some sequel that might be coming up in the future.

So trust me there are some publishers out there salivating over what they're seeing with overwatch 2 and they're probably trying to figure out how can we fucking do that with single player games, With gamers spending hundreds of hours playing some old game for all you know they're going to try to purposely remove those games to get you to buy the sequel like you saw with Overwatch 2 lol

I think with how expensive the game industry is becoming if anything people should be demanding physical releases cause if I'm going to be paying $70 for a fucking game I want to get the works.....

Even as much as you guys know I dislike CD Project Red at least they got it right with the packaging of Cyberpunk 2077 because it's presentation regarding the box art along with all the extras at the very least felt like what a AAA release should actually provide on physical.

ManaByte

Might be a rough gen for everyone, if game sales are lower than usual. I know some will convert, but will it be enough? Personally, I'll be just fine with my large physical collections and heavier wallet.
PC seems to be doing fine after being all digital for more than a decade.

Realistically the only one of the next gen consoles that will have a physical option is Nintendo because they control and produce the carts, and the ghost of Yamauchi will never let them give that up. Their entire company is built on it.

I don't expect the PS6 or next Xbox to have disc drives at all. By the time they're out there might not even be a single disc replicator plant operating on the planet.

fart town usa

Gold Member
You bet.
No physical release = bargain bin, if at all.
That's hardcore. I get it though.

Miss out on day one maybe, but not down the road. Is that such a big deal?
Nah, I get it. I sometime forget not everyone has trickled over to mostly digital. I used to get only physical but at this point so many games require massive patches that I just don't really care anymore. Only games I tend to buy physical copies of are RE titles.

Sleepwalker

Not interested in the Yakuza game.

For Alan Wake I will get it on PC, no point in a digital PSN purchase so I will just get it from the cheapest available region on Epic.

PC seems to be doing fine after being all digital for more than a decade.

Realistically the only one of the next gen consoles that will have a physical option is Nintendo because they control and produce the carts, and the ghost of Yamauchi will never let them give that up. Their entire company is built on it.

I don't expect the PS6 or next Xbox to have disc drives at all. By the time they're out there might not even be a single disc replicator plant operating on the planet.
I agree with your assessment of what next gen will likely be. PC is a different can of worms though, being an open platform with multiple marketplaces and no generational user bases. In order to keep MS and PS from having monopolies, other places will have to have code discounts etc.

ManaByte

I agree with your assessment of what next gen will likely be. PC is a different can of worms though, being an open platform with multiple marketplaces and no generational user bases. In order to keep MS and PS from having monopolies, other places will have to have code discounts etc.
MS and Nintendo already sell game codes at retail, so you can get them cheaper and aren’t tied to buying through the console store. Sony used to do that but stopped at the PS5 gen.

Nah, I get it. I sometime forget not everyone has trickled over to mostly digital. I used to get only physical but at this point so many games require massive patches that I just don't really care anymore. Only games I tend to buy physical copies of are RE titles.
I mostly buy Switch cartridges and a few PS5 discs these days. I'm all digital on Xbox since last gen making it easier to transition if disc drives disappear by next gen. Not a big fan of discs these days but I love those little Switch cartridges.

I've just ordered Like a Dragon: Gaiden from Playasia because I prefer phisical on consoles (unless dirt cheap) and I have all the other Yakuza/like a Dragon/Judgment games on disc. Cost me £46.90, though.

As for Alan Wake 2, I'll see if it eventually comes out on disc for PS5 or buy it cheaply in a sale on Steam (if it comes to Steam, that is) or the PS store.

Godot25

Banned
Since I don't remember when I bought physical copy of a game...yeah. Absence of physical edition of Alan Wake 2 don't bother me

Top Bottom