• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 Is Being Developed by Around 130 People; It’s The “Toughest” Game Done by Remedy

geary

Their last game, "Cross Fire" campaign kinda sucked, but that's not their fault since they had MS publisher
/s

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My dude, QB was great and Control was AMAZING, Remedy's soul was poured into those games.
idk.... QB lost the magic. Shooting was poor, story was poor. Main character had a stupid face and the show cutscenes were just bad.
And Control? Spongy enemies, square face protagonist, boring rooms... at least the shooting was great but I was so bored by the end.

Meanwhile I replay Max payne 1,2 and Alan Wake to this day

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You hate the game? It's not perfect for me either but I play every horror game, they're scares, I don't have arguments to my favorite genre, they don't matter to me.
I was joking about your grammar "They don’t seem ordinary devs.". Look at the title of the song :p

• LOL
Reactions: SHA

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’ll say it again the first Alan wake was a solid third person shooter poltergeist game, and am hopeful for the sequel.

Remedy is done for me. Tencent got them. Epic got them.
Qb was bad and control was even worse. Alan wake was their last truly good game that had this quirky remedy feel.

And no physical release. I am not excited
I quite enjoyed Quantum Break but Control didn't do anything for me. Really liked AW though and I like the setting of this so I'm optimistic.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Their "horror" in their games outside of the OG Max Paynes has been lacking. Alan Wake and Control were interesting and weird, but not scary. Quantum Break wasn't even going for horror.. their games are more like an amusement park horror-themed ride than true horror.

But Alan Wake 2 looks like they might pull off an actually-scary game based on footage of those shadow figures in the subway.
Did you play Control AW DLC? That shit has the perfect horror style for a SH game, the only game apart from the school section in Ghostwire Tokyo that made me love horror again, is not "modern audienced" horror, it's psychological atmospheric horror, they barely show you something but you're there feeling the pressure of the silence

Skitso

I fear these comments mean the game is short, unfinished, buggy or has poor performance... :/ hope I'm wrong.

Elysium44

Banned
Never got the hype over the first game, nor QB or Control. All very meh imo. Max Payne 1 & 2 were outstanding though and still stand up pretty well today, the gameplay, music, voice acting, story, atmosphere... but the games since haven't done it for me.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Did you play Control AW DLC? That shit has the perfect horror style for a SH game, the only game apart from the school section in Ghostwire Tokyo that made me love horror again, is not "modern audienced" horror, it's psychological atmospheric horror, they barely show you something but you're there feeling the pressure of the silence
You caught me--I haven't played that DLC. Makes me want to check it out!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's not every day someone name drops the school quest in Ghostwire Tokyo. You have my undivided attention.

I bounced off Control a while back and didn't make it that far. Quantum Break fully revitalized my appreciation for Remedy so I intend to try Control again. Got the DLC too.

Mr Hyde

Remedy has been hit or miss for me. Didn't like Max Payne or Alan Wake, but Control was probably one of past gens best games for me. Outstanding experience. I'm glad that the studio is still around making quality games with a solid output, even if some of their games misses the mark for me.

Last edited:
Control was fun but you could definitely feel the budget IMO between the samey environments, the focus on going back to the same locations over and over and the very low enemy variety (even some bosses are just powered up regular enemies)

Control bored me to tears

Alan wake 2 looks great visually but I’m worried about the gameplay

Xtib81

That's a pretty low number but lets see the game first.

Control was fun but you could definitely feel the budget IMO between the samey environments, the focus on going back to the same locations over and over and the very low enemy variety (even some bosses are just powered up regular enemies)

TLOU2 was more like 350, that's almost 3 times as many (before counting the 1000+ external people though I'm sure Alan Wake 2 has plenty of those too)
200 people apparently. Of course it doesn't include outsourcing.

Last edited:
Can’t wait to play it. Looks incredibly atmospheric and tense!

Also the first big release that has a digital version for a fair price on day one. Finally not forced to buy a shiny disc in a cheap plastic cover, just because it is cheaper..

bender

What time is it?
Never got the hype over the first game, nor QB or Control. All very meh imo. Max Payne 1 & 2 were outstanding though and still stand up pretty well today, the gameplay, music, voice acting, story, atmosphere... but the games since haven't done it for me.

Mostly with you. MP2 holds up extremely well. I didn't care much for Alan Wake when it released, the gameplay loop got old incredibly fast. I actually played it a few years ago just to see if my thoughts had changed and outside of admiring the competency in your co-op partners (along with my soft spot for Barry), I still found it to be an incredibly boring experience. The nicest thing I can say about Control is that it stopped Remedies downward trend from the low point that was Quantum Break, but the nicest thing I can say about it is that I was able to power through to the end.

The Max Payne 2 reveal was great as it looked like they were going for a classic survival horror experience and we don't often get those with a bigger budget (Sorry Resident Evil, I don't consider you that anymore with your focus on action), but all the footage we've seen since looks like it has the same gameplay loop as the original. It's probably my fault for assuming they would deliver something different.

flying_sq

Loved the first one, but this one has me uneasy with their commitment to horror. Not what I liked about the first game. Loved that it didn't take it's self too seriously.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I wish Remedy all the best, but I have this bad feeling that AW2 will be a commercial failure, despite being a critical hit.
Yeah, it doesn't look good. I had enjoyed playing the first game, and I generally like Remedy's games, but this one somehow didn't catch my interest. It might receive low scores in reviews too. Based on what I've seen, I expect it to score around 70-75 points. However, if it has a really compelling story, I might overlook the gameplay.

skit_data

Looking forward to it, Control is extremely under appreciated IMO. Slowly getting through Alan Wake Remastered and while it has some good atmosphere and story I'm starting to lose interest in shooting the same old lumberjack dude of varying size

Last edited:
So looking forward to play AW2 on autumns dark nights.

About Control. How did you feel about the strange Finnish stuff in the game and especially Ahti's Finglish?
I haven't watched many trailers of AW2 because of the spoilers but it seems there are Finnish "easter eggs" like the Ahma Beer (Wolverine Beer).

skit_data

About Control. How did you feel about the strange Finnish stuff in the game and especially Ahti's Finglish?
I haven't watched many trailers of AW2 because of the spoilers but it seems there are Finnish "easter eggs" like the Ahma Beer (Wolverine Beer).
I find it charming, it also puts a unique and possibly even more surreal flavor to some settings hearing finnish tango always coming from Ahtis cleaning cart. I'm swedish and can't really pick up on all of it but him muttering "perkele" and "satana" in between other words always gives me a chuckle.
I missed the beer, is it alluding to Karhu beer or is there something more to it?

I still find it strange that they went down the dual protagonist route in this game. Is this another bait and switch? If I’m buying a game called ‘Alan Wake 2’ I wanna play as Alan Wake. I’m not sure I really care about ‘Saga Anderson’. I really hope the new character isn’t over used.

Hudo

I still find it strange that they went down the dual protagonist route in this game. Is this another bait and switch? If I’m buying a game called ‘Alan Wake 2’ I wanna play as Alan Wake. I’m not sure I really care about ‘Saga Anderson’. I really hope the new character isn’t over used.
It's called Alan Wake 2 because you play him for 2 minutes.

Tomi

Why every developer needs to say for every new game they create that this is hardest, biggest, most imbabest game they created.
I actualy hate that approach, and i think they just lie so they get more sales

To all developers out there stop doing that because more and more people know what you wanna accomplish with that statement...

I find it charming, it also puts a unique and possibly even more surreal flavor to some settings hearing finnish tango always coming from Ahtis cleaning cart. I'm swedish and can't really pick up on all of it but him muttering "perkele" and "satana" in between other words always gives me a chuckle.
I missed the beer, is it alluding to Karhu beer or is there something more to it?

Ahti while in sauna is talking about a couple of guys with a Swedish descent whom are in the connected universe. Och samma på svenska ;)

Yeah it's an allusion to Karhu beer or that's how I interpret it.

PanzerCute

Not a fan of their game tbh. They feel very pretentious and quite hollow in the end.

No retail version = no buy, anyway.

Still wish this studio all the success they can get: they make singular and interesting products and we need them.

amigastar

Woke-fearing is getting just as bad as the woke themselves.
LOL, so true. It's becoming just a stupid phrase "It's woke, am i rite?"
Anyways game is looking really good, graphically and gameplay wise.

Last edited:
I haven't decided which one to get. The standard or deluxe edition.

Knowing Remedy I'm pretty sure the dlc will be good.

Control's AWE is still in my backlog because the PS4 save doesn't transfer to PS5 and I don't feel like playing the main game again.

Top Bottom