• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry, Alan Wake 2 PC - Rasterisation Optimised Settings Breakdown - Is It Really THAT Demanding?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Damn.

F9oNaNkXoAASLFv

F9oNckUXQAAhsTK

winjer

Gold Member
Thanks, sadly those specific GPUs aren't on the list. I was curious about your mesh (primitive) shaders/pixel fill rate theory since equivalent RDNA2 GPUs have higher pixel fill rates compared to Nvidia ones so in this context expected to have higher performance. Based on RX 6600 xt results here, this doesn't seem to be the case since it apparently performs worse than RTX 3060 which has a meager 85 Gpixel/s of pixel fill rate.

You might be right.
I just remembered a thing that could be limiting the 2070S and 2080Ti: PCi Gen3 interface.

Maybe someone with the game and NSight could take a look into that.

hlm666

You might be right.
I just remembered a thing that could be limiting the 2070S and 2080Ti: PCi Gen3 interface.

Maybe someone with the game and NSight could take a look into that.
Ampere they changed to the arch for dual float or int/float, some things like doom eternal managed to get a larger jump over turing because of it so maybe some of the difference here is because of that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Seeing stuff like this and yeah.. the ps5 version is shit in comparson. No 2 ways around it.
Heavy terrible shimmer and grain. Worst I've seen this gen. And that is quality mode.
Then it drops below 30fps a lot in forest areas.
I mean... the game looks great overall and is playable but cmon.... but then. I don't care for epic store and that pc costs a an arm and a leg....

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Seeing stuff like this and yeah.. the ps5 version is shit in comparson. No 2 ways around it.
Heavy terrible shimmer and grain. Worst I've seen this gen. And that is quality mode.
Then it drops below 30fps a lot in forest areas.
I mean... the game looks great overall and is playable but cmon.... but then. I don't care for epic store and that pc costs a an arm and a leg....

It's the FSR. They should just keep the resolution low and use a good anti aliasing solution.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's the FSR. They should just keep the resolution low and use a good anti aliasing solution.
It must be ssr too. It's grainy crap even if you dont move. When you move it's grain city
I am fine with 30fps, some dips and all. But eh controller acceleration is crap. The game controls mid at best. and The grain is inexcusable. Couldn't they use any different ssr technique or just remove it allthogether. Why use thisterrible grain. Wen you move your camera, the game looks like sand on the dirty beach
And somehow DF is saying "wow the consoles versions are good!" Bitch there is no RT at all, most grain in ssr and FSR breakup I've ever seen. And performance sucks.
And I was good even with forspoken on release.

Mister Wolf

It must be ssr too. It's grainy crap even if you dont move. When you move it's grain city
I am fine with 30fps, some dips and all. But eh controller acceleration is crap. The game controls mid at best. and The grain is inexcusable. Couldn't they use any different ssr technique or just remove it allthogether. Why use thisterrible grain. Wen you move your camera, the game looks like sand on the dirty beach
And somehow DF is saying "wow the consoles versions are good!" Bitch there is no RT at all, most grain in ssr and FSR breakup I've ever seen. And performance sucks.

It's too much for the consoles to handle well. People wanted next gen well now they got it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's too much for the consoles to handle well. People wanted next gen well now they got it.
Is it too much?
Couldn't they put some more damn effort?
Does Demons SOuls have any image quality problems?
Did they had to use this type of grain ssr and fsr? No. They didn't.
I understand no RT.... but image quality like that is their fault.

Mister Wolf

Is it too much?
Couldn't they put some more damn effort?
Does Demons SOuls have any image quality problems?
Did they had to use this type of grain ssr and fsr? No. They didn't.
I understand no RT.... but image quality like that is their fault.

Demon Souls is inferior to this game in all metrics.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Or just play with your 3080 at 1440p with DLSS Quality/RT off. Should have a far better experience than on PS5 and get like 80% better performance. You can turn off all this post-processing garbage.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Demon Souls is inferior to this game in all metrics.
No. I wouldn't say so. Not on ps5 at the very least.
Demons souls compared to pc Alan Wake? sure. but AW2 on ps5 is an image quality mess
Or just play with your 3080 at 1440p with DLSS Quality/RT off. Should have a far better experience than on PS5 and get like 80% better performance. You can turn off all this post-processing garbage.
No. If I were to play on pc, there is now ay in hell I am turning any of this shit off. Why play on pc otherwise :p

Buggy Loop

But he has to study the pcgamingwiki page for days!

edit- or spend a few minutes in the menu to basically match PS5 or better and forget about it for the next 20ish hours, that's too much as seen from his reply above.. FFS. A lost cause.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

No. I wouldn't say so. Not on ps5 at the very least.
Demons souls compared to pc Alan Wake? sure. but AW2 on ps5 is an image quality mess

No. If I were to play on pc, there is now ay in hell I am turning any of this shit off. Why play on pc otherwise :p

As you said the PS5. You are playing a handicapped version of AW2 where they are forced to use shit solutions like FSR and Low settings due to underperfoming hardware that can't get the most of of what the game and the Northlight Engine has to offer.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But he has to study the pcgamingwiki page for days!
Fuck and You.
fuck you.

I didn't want to create epic account. I have some damn integrity. An my 3080 is more trouble than it's worth with that 10gb of vram. nvidia fucked me over.
On ps5, I at least finished the game and didn't had a single issue. I was still amazed by the graphics. They didn't even tried though.

And I never expected ps5 version to be this grainy. Devs don't even try... and they had the ball to tweet "oh yeah console versions are great"... dude....
There is NO reason to use this shit techniques on ps5. PC to console ports are the worse because ps5/xsx is just a shitty pc to them. No imagination whatsoever.

Gaiff

Better image quality, better stability, higher performance, and getting rid of that awful shimmering. Don't wanna turn RT off? Then play at 30fps.

Whatever the case, you did it to yourself. You have a PC that's significantly better than a PS5 then decided to get it on PS5 anyway, only to turn around and complain. Your right to bitch about this game is revoked.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As you said the PS5. You are playing a handicapped version of AW2 where they are forced to use shit solutions like FSR and Low settings due to underperfoming hardware that can't get the most of of what the game and the Northlight Engine has to offer.
How are they forced to use ssr and fsr? Especially this grainy solutions?
There is no excuse.
Before FSR, there was none of this shit. The game would just be more stable, lower res with some of their internal techniques. Again - look at demons souls, tlou2, uc4

Gaiff

There is no excuse.
Before FSR, there was none of this shit. The game would just be more stable, lower res with some of their internal techniques. Again - look at demons souls, tlou2, uc4
It's a console. You take what they give you. This is the trade-off and has always been. You give up freedom/flexibility for convenience. You hate all that garbage post-processing on PC? You can turn it off. You hate FSR? Use DLSS or native resolution. This is nothing new and you perfectly know this. No one empathizes with your plight here.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Better image quality, better stability, higher performance, and getting rid of that awful shimmering. Don't wanna turn RT off? Then play at 30fps.

Whatever the case, you did it to yourself. You have a PC that's significantly better than a PS5 then decided to get it on PS5 anyway, only to turn around and complain. Your right to bitch about this game is revoked.
I am not bitching. I am complaining that they didn't even try with console versions. Even I could "optimize" their console releases just as they did. oh yeah that's a 2070pc? let's put it all on low and drop fsr on that. Dude. cmon.
I've explained why I went with ps5 version. I expected a bit more.
You are a fascinating man rofif
Well.. if I am playing on pc, then I am playing on pc.
If I am not maxing it out with cool features, why even bother. Then it's just a bit better console with extra steps.

again - you are not understanding me. I am not complaining. I could go and get 4080 tomorrow and call it a day. There are many other reasons I play on ps5

Mister Wolf

There is no excuse.

Before FSR consoles used Checkerboarding which was nothing to write home about as well. Fact is once you introduce "next gen" shit like mesh shaders and robust real time GI solutions these consoles start shitting the bed and have to cut massive corners in image quality.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Well.. if I am playing on pc, then I am playing on pc.
If I am not maxing it out with cool features, why even bother. Then it's just a bit better console with extra steps.
You ain't gonna max out shit with cool features with a little 3080. Best just sell it now if that's what you got a PC for. There's not a single AAA game you'll max out with all the bells and whistles with that GPU.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's a console. You take what they give you. This is the trade-off and has always been. You give up freedom/flexibility for convenience. You hate all that garbage post-processing on PC? You can turn it off. You hate FSR? Use DLSS or native resolution. This is nothing new and you perfectly know this. No one empathizes with your plight here.
Yes I know. I am not complaining about that. I play on pc and I use dlss. I am an early fucking adopter of RT with 2070 on release and then 3080 on it's release. cmon man.
I play on console for different reasons and I expect them to care at least a little bit. Throwing fsr and cheap shit ssr on your gae is a crime of laziness. It's reasonable I expected better
Before FSR consoles used Checkerboarding which was nothing to right home about as well. Fact is once you introduce "next gen" shit like mesh shaders and robust real time GI solutions these consoles start shitting the bed and have to cut massive corners in image quality.
Checkerboard was better than this. But upscaling is not the only problem.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
rofiff my man, why do you always do this to yourself? you have a 3080 which is roughly 2x more powerful than your ps5 in RT games. You have epic store selling it for $10 cheaper. you have native dual sense support on pc. you couldve bought it for $40 on GMG. Run ray traced reflections, use DLSS, use the high version of the post processing setting which is mostly responsible for shimmering you are talking about.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
rofiff my man, why do you always do this to yourself? you have a 3080 which is roughly 2x more powerful than your ps5 in RT games. You have epic store selling it for $10 cheaper. you have native dual sense support on pc. you couldve bought it for $40 on GMG. Run ray traced reflections, use DLSS, use the high version of the post processing setting which is mostly responsible for shimmering you are talking about.
That's totally not my whole point !!!
I am just very disappointed. That's all. I play on consoles for totally different reasons. (btw - dualsense features work only wired on pc...)

I am slamming the devs and I think rightfully so.
Shouldn't we expect them to at least fucking try a little bit? Let me explain few points:
-They dind't had to use grainy fsr.
-They didn't had to use ssr at all or at least this grainy weird solution
-They don't even have a single working mirror in the game. Max Payne 2 have perfect mirrors. Like fucking cmon. No rt, so let's be lazy and don't have ANY BACKUP SOLUTION. Gray grainy blobs. just don't make raster version at all. Keep it all at RT if you don't want to have backup solutions.

This is a lazy lazy lazy port that gets too much praise on consoles. Especially bad with image quality and performance.
The game overall looks almost identical to pc until you start moving the camera or enlarge to 4k or have very reflective scenes. It's not all bad. I am still impressed with the game. Just not with the port.

They didn't had to use any of these solutions. They just did that because they looked at consoles and saw a dirty low budget pc in the corner and lowered settings to minimum.
Look at Demons souls. Look at metro exodus Rt. look at many other games. You just have to NOT BE LAZY and have some decency to not just use all worst, cheapest solutions.
FSR is ruining console gaming. Not even motion blur hides how terrible it is in motion.

Or just don't release it on consoles at all if you are asking people to pay for the game and don't give any attention to optimizing it aside from tweaking an ini file.

Buggy Loop

But its much simpler on consoles

And then you bitch about how it looks

simple-jack-sad.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But its much simpler on consoles

And then you bitch about how it looks

simple-jack-sad.gif
Stop trolling at this point at reread my posts. You don't even know what I am saying.
I hate your gifs man. Let it go.
The game looks amazing overall but it goes from looking like this to this

Qr03hQB.jpg

h5SBkGu.jpg

to this. Was there really no other solution?
baLKSLl.jpg

And doesn't matter if you disable motion blur. That grain is still there. During any motion. And in all SSR surfaces.

GametimeUK

I've been quite heavily gaming on consoles instead of my PC this generation. Its good to see a game that is quite a considerable improvement if played on my 3080. I'm really happy with the game so far. I wish all PC ports looked and ran this good.

Senua

I've been quite heavily gaming on consoles instead of my PC this generation. Its good to see a game that is quite a considerable improvement if played on my 3080. I'm really happy with the game so far. I wish all PC ports looked and ran this good.
I mean the vast majority of games are gonna run better on your 3080 system than a ps5. Unless you're still rocking a 2500k or some shit

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

btw. Exactly my complaint in last question 1:41

Are per Alex's comments, you get what you pay for.

You PAID for PC already, that's why we're all flabbergasted by you Rofif, collectively. A 3080 would not run everything max with path tracing and so on, but still vastly superior to PS5.

Consoles are not aging well post crossgen titles as the gen goes on, sprinkling FSR into the mix because of AMD and it's a pixel soup.

SlimySnake

That's totally not my whole point !!!
I am just very disappointed. That's all. I play on consoles for totally different reasons. (btw - dualsense features work only wired on pc...)

I am slamming the devs and I think rightfully so.
Shouldn't we expect them to at least fucking try a little bit? Let me explain few points:
-They dind't had to use grainy fsr.
-They didn't had to use ssr at all or at least this grainy weird solution
-They don't even have a single working mirror in the game. Max Payne 2 have perfect mirrors. Like fucking cmon. No rt, so let's be lazy and don't have ANY BACKUP SOLUTION. Gray grainy blobs. just don't make raster version at all. Keep it all at RT if you don't want to have backup solutions.

This is a lazy lazy lazy port that gets too much praise on consoles. Especially bad with image quality and performance.
The game overall looks almost identical to pc until you start moving the camera or enlarge to 4k or have very reflective scenes. It's not all bad. I am still impressed with the game. Just not with the port.

They didn't had to use any of these solutions. They just did that because they looked at consoles and saw a dirty low budget pc in the corner and lowered settings to minimum.
Look at Demons souls. Look at metro exodus Rt. look at many other games. You just have to NOT BE LAZY and have some decency to not just use all worst, cheapest solutions.
FSR is ruining console gaming. Not even motion blur hides how terrible it is in motion.

Or just don't release it on consoles at all if you are asking people to pay for the game and don't give any attention to optimizing it aside from tweaking an ini file.
Nah, I am ok with you criticizing the devs for poor IQ. Dont get me wrong. I just dont understand why your reasons to play the game on PS5 would outweigh the reasons i gave that led me to buy it on my 3080 PC.

I think FSR2 sucks and I agree, a better solution needs to be on consoles. I was very happy with TSR in the Matrix.

That said, I dont think its a lazy port. The PS5 has 10 tflops. You can only do so much with it. The game on PS5 is performing roughly identical to equivalent PC GPUs, if not better. The PS5 officially doesnt support mesh shaders so clearly they werent lazy and spent extra work getting their PS5 primitive shaders working with their mesh shader APIs. The game as you said looks phenomenal which is a testament to a very well made game.

I thought the ssr was fine. i took some screenshots before turning on rt reflections and they are ok. Mirrors dont bother me. They are cheats anyway. They are not actual reflections, they just render the game twice for those mirror reflections. Or at least that what ND and Insomniac do for their reflections. I dont think its laziness. Just not something they wanted to implement.

I think this game looks way better than metro and demon souls. And that stuff comes at a cost. You get what you pay for. For a $400 console. This is what you get. Maybe sony shouldve targeted 14 tflops at $500 or $599 but they wanted to hit that ridiculous $399 price tag and held back the PS5 barely hitting 10 tflops. Then delayed the Pro by a full year. last time around, we had the Pro out by the end of the third year. I played everything from The Last Guardian to Final Fantasy 16, BF1, and Titanfall in higher resolutions. Its a shame that the pro will not be ready for spiderman, alan wake, and avatar.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are per Alex's comments, you get what you pay for.

You PAID for PC already, that's why we're all flabbergasted by you Rofif, collectively. A 3080 would not run everything max with path tracing and so on, but still vastly superior to PS5.

Consoles are not aging well post crossgen titles as the gen goes on, sprinkling FSR into the mix because of AMD and it's a pixel soup.
it's not about money. Of course my 3080 is 2x the power of my ps5. That's not why I play on console of course.
OK I got a nice way to sum up my rage post and I will try to make this my last on this topic :p

The point is that this reliance on fsr and pc techniques to port game to consoles (and almost every game is a port to console) is killing console gaming.
Consoles were never looked and never felt like "poor mans low budget pc". They were their own thing. Now, especially with some of these games and shitty modes. Console is just a bad pc in the eyes of devs.

RobRSG

Interesting. Im playing on a 3080 with a 11700k and found that i could get 4k dlss performance at 60 fps with no ray tracing dropping to around 50 fps in the city when staring at reflections. In the swamps though, it dropped to 35 fps. didnt feel too bad though.

I will try 1440p dlss quality rt maxed out and see if i can lock it to 40 fps without a big drop off in image quality. thanks!
Unfortunately this was not long lived, I will have to turn Off RT completely as I reached an area that pushes my machine down to the 20’s.

UnrealEck

Which games are not considerably improved on an RTX 3080 over either console? If they're not improved much graphically, they're surely vastly improved performance wise.

Bojji

Which games are not considerably improved on an RTX 3080 over either console? If they're not improved much graphically, they're surely vastly improved performance wise.

Only thing that I can think of that consoles can have better than 3080 is texture quality, in some games now in in the future players may have to lower texture setting to fit the game into vram but other than 3080 will have superior image quality and/or performance.

SlimySnake

Unfortunately this was not long lived, I will have to turn Off RT completely as I reached an area that pushes my machine down to the 20’s.
lmao. same thing happened to me. fine in the town. i go into the swamp. 20 fps.

i am going to keep RT reflections on and play the game at high settings. swamp still brings it down to mid 30s but its still very playable.

path tracing is for 4080s and 4090s and im not spending another $1,500 to get them.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

it's not about money. Of course my 3080 is 2x the power of my ps5. That's not why I play on console of course.
OK I got a nice way to sum up my rage post and I will try to make this my last on this topic :p

The point is that this reliance on fsr and pc techniques to port game to consoles (and almost every game is a port to console) is killing console gaming.
Consoles were never looked and never felt like "poor mans low budget pc". They were their own thing. Now, especially with some of these games and shitty modes. Console is just a bad pc in the eyes of devs.

Because consoles have to push a lot more weight then they used too.

PS4 area, 1080ti = 4x the performance of the PS4 gpu.
PS5 area, 4090 = 4x performance of a PS5, dlss + framegen is another 4x performance, RT is another 2x performance.

If i was mark cerny, i would start building a 4080/5080 laptop as PS5 pro.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

PS5 area, 4090 = 4x performance of a PS5, dlss + framegen is another 4x performance, RT is another 2x performance.

Those GPUs are large as the PS5 whole APU.

GametimeUK

Unless patched and fixed I've seen issues with shader compilation stutter on a load of PC games this year. Dead Space and it's traversal stutter had me buying the game on console. I am waiting for the latest Star Wars game to hit gamepass on console since I've heard it's been fixed there yet the PC version still underperforms (last time I checked).

I have just got round to playing Deathloop and was really enjoying it, but there is a memory leak issue that makes the game run poorly so I'll probably revisit it on console at some point. Ratchet and Clank on PC had weird texture issues so I'm waiting on a fix for it. Weirdly enough I want to play Outer Wilds and for whatever reason the game is so choppy on my computer and I'm not sure how to fix it. May have to try on console if the performance mode is any good.

The Last of Us is another one I was going to play. That one speaks for itself at launch. Not sure if it's fixed now, but I got access to the PS5 version from a friend so played it there instead.

I dunno... just feels like I'm not having much luck recently.

They can't afford Nvidia. Nvidia is expensive AMD is dirt cheap in comparison that and they need to stick with AMD for back compatibility since they depend on HW for BC unlike Microsoft.

Top Bottom