• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry, Alan Wake 2 PC - Rasterisation Optimised Settings Breakdown - Is It Really THAT Demanding?

TwinB242

I was playing the Robocop demo on PC at max settings with DLSS and also experiencing a lot of similar looking grainy, shimmering visuals. Whatever is causing it is definitely not exclusives to consoles, its clearly a PC problem too (though i've yet to play Alan Wake 2 on PC to see how it compares to Robocop in that regard).

Last edited:

Soltype

Stop trolling at this point at reread my posts. You don't even know what I am saying.
I hate your gifs man. Let it go.
The game looks amazing overall but it goes from looking like this to this

Qr03hQB.jpg

h5SBkGu.jpg

to this. Was there really no other solution?
baLKSLl.jpg

And doesn't matter if you disable motion blur. That grain is still there. During any motion. And in all SSR surfaces.
Control also had this problem, it sticks out so bad .

hlm666

I was playing the Robocop demo on PC at max settings with DLSS and also experiencing a lot of similar looking grainy, shimmering visuals. Whatever is causing it is definitely not exclusives to consoles, its clearly a PC problem too (though i've yet to play Alan Wake 2 on PC to see how it compares to Robocop in that regard).
They are not using the same engine so the problems may not be related. Robocop is using ue5 and that problem could be from software lumen settings and/or ao/shadow settings. It's more than likely those "max" settings exposed in the menu are pretty conservative so they don't get the omg this game runs like shit blowback most ue5 games are getting. You could try grab unreal unlocker and dial it up settings or turn hardware lumen on if your machine is up to the task.

bbr1979s

Banned
He uses a Ryzen 3600. He has said it in one of his tweets.

I don't quite understand your point with or without v-sync. If the game was locked at 60fps with vsync it is true that we cannot know its real performance, but Alex has compared in stressful situations where on PS5 it drops to 50fps (approximately) and 80fps on a 3070. Vsync activated or deactivated would not make any difference. He have made the comparison correctly. It would be necessary to see if that 43% higher performance is on average or not, but there is nothing reprehensible here.

Vsync on or off It has no impact on performance.
Sorry. That absolutely not true. Vsync can have strong performance penalty. One guy said with vsync he have nea rlocked 60 and without vsync about 90. Another site mentioned serious performance penalty. So correct comparison with consoles only with vsync on as nx gamer always doing.

Bojji

Sorry. That absolutely not true. Vsync can have strong performance penalty. One guy said with vsync he have nea rlocked 60 and without vsync about 90. Another site mentioned serious performance penalty. So correct comparison with consoles only with vsync on as nx gamer always doing.

That's bullshit. Vsync doesn't have performance penalty, latency penalty - yes

Senua

EonXjc0.jpg

sinnergy

If they can move FSR 2.0 to post in Quality mode it could look splendid on consoles, but pc had a drop of 17 %. So I don’t know if consoles have that headroom, it would clear up the shimmering.

Last edited:

bbr1979s

Banned
That's bullshit. Vsync doesn't have performance penalty, latency penalty - yes
Bullshit is what you saying. See on reddit many posts about performance penalty on pc. So in Alan Wake 2 with correct comparison ps5 similar to 2080 super, series x will be better than 2080 ti. On ps5 this from 12 min

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Our friend was banned but this is performance penalty of vsync:

I posted pics of my fps with vsync on and off earlier in this thread and also saw no difference in performance.

Not sure what is so controversial. The PS5 convincingly beating a 2070S and performing like a 2080/S is pretty solid and within expected results. As is the Series X likely performing close to a 3060 Ti or so.

Top Bottom