• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake screens

Redbeard

Banned
We've seen most of these from scans, but the last two are new (I'm pretty sure).

tilttv013tz.jpg

tilttv022ef.jpg

tilttv034xi.jpg

tilttv046fx.jpg

tilttv056ux.jpg

tilttv066lt.jpg

tilttv078ce.jpg

tilttv085mc.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
WHERE IS EVERYBODY ELSE

:lol

thorns

Banned
the game has a really unique style. Remedy is probably releasing shots with no other characters on purpose. It just gives a sense of desolation.
reminds me of lost highway for some reason.

aoi tsuki

i like the dusk lighting on the first four shots (which are old) better than the latter shots. Reminds me of Shenmue minus the Asian setting.

Wollan

The location in this game is practically a cut and paste from were I live(Norway).
Also, the exact same colours of the Norwegian flag in the scarf. Weird that they didn't choose white and blue which is the Finnish colors.

thorns

Banned
People who think the lighting is very special in the last pic need to play Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Xbox version) which has very similar quality lighting IMHO.

seriously, ps2/gc-only gamers will notice a BIG difference in lighting next gen..

Pimpbaa

thorns said:
People who think the lighting is very special in the last pic need to play Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Xbox version) which has very similar quality lighting IMHO.

seriously, ps2/gc-only gamers will notice a BIG difference in lighting next gen..

Considering Alan Wake is an open ended game and Chaos Theory is a mostly confined linear game, it makes Alan Wake far more impressive (much harder to get that quality graphics in an open world).

Chittagong

Gold Member
Notice the shadows on the road in shot number four - the amazing thing is that the trees, the fences, and yes - even the mountains - cast shadows on each other, and the shadows length and angle changes depending on the position of sun. In the shot in question, the sun starts to be pretty low as the shadows are growing longer. Fantastic to see from high above, by the way.

Borys

Banned
RE4 vs. SH4 said:
Is that just a joke about the barren town, or is this actually a horror game?

please say horror game

Not a joke.

Oh and yeah, it is kind of GTA clone but I fear that mixing horror and GTA just won't work :(

Did some reading up on this game, pretty cool premise (albeit, it does "borrow" from SH2 a bit). Loved Max Payne 1 and 2. Though, from what I can infer from the previews, it seems that the gameplay will be more akin to the nightmare sequences of the Max Payne games. :(

Any1

Does anyone know if they will retain the same gameplay as Max Payne? Looking at the screens, i'm guessing not. Although, i can't decide which i would like more, a spiritual successor to Max Payne or a GTA style horror game made by the guys that made Max Payne.

With those graphics, i will be happy with either, but damn it i hope we can get both games from Remedy this gen.

sammy

The game really does pull off a "creepy" look and still manages to avoid all the cliche's -

bravo to the art-team --- such a nice modest environment that's pulled off extremely well, it just seems like something is watching him.

My only regret is he's holding a gun. Can't we move beyond this point? Do guns still make games mature? This industry will never evolve if we must rely on such a facet.

element

thorns said:
please tell.
technology was amazing. it appears the game is more physics/puzzle based then action. The designer was very clear that the game was a psychological thriller and not an action game.

I was personally taken back how well done the art is. Remedy sent their entire art staff to Seattle and then stayed in North Bend to take photos and video. It really shows the talent of the team when someone that lives in the area can't see flaws.

dorio

Banned
evilromero said:
My only regret is he's holding a gun. Can't we move beyond this point? Do guns still make games mature? This industry will never evolve if we must rely on such a facet.
Freakin' hippy. :D

Tellaerin

evilromero said:

What would you like them to evolve into, exactly? We already have games where you wander around pretty environments and solve puzzles without resorting to nasty atavistic elements like gunplay to entertain the player. Unfortunately, I never found games like Myst to be particularly enjoyable, myself. I think I'd rather see that gun stay right where it is and take a pass on your so-called 'industry evolution', thank you very much.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
evilromero said:

This is perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever read on this forum. Do you bitch about movies with guns too?

I'm sorry every game can't have a watergun backpack.

Top Bottom