• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake screens

Minotauro said:
This is perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever read on this forum. Do you bitch about movies with guns too?

I'm sorry every game can't have a watergun backpack.
You haven't been here long enough. I think this game could be brilliant and unique without having to flash a gun at us just for our agreed reaction that it's MATURE!

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
evilromero said:
You haven't been here long enough. I think this game could be brilliant and unique without having to flash a gun at us just for our agreed reaction that it's MATURE!

You Nintendrones have this mature bullshit on the brain. I mean, it's a horror game. Do you expect him to politely ask the enemies to go away?

Seriously, I've heard some stupid arguments in my day but lamenting the inclusion of a gun in a video game and alleging that its inclusion is an attempt to be "mature" really takes the cake.

sly

Banned
Minotauro said:
You Nintendrones have this mature bullshit on the brain. I mean, it's a horror game. Do you expect him to politely ask the enemies to go away?

Seriously, I've heard some stupid arguments in my day but lamenting the inclusion of a gun in a video game and alleging that its inclusion is an attempt to be "mature" really takes the cake.

:lol :lol :lol Quote of the thread!

I just read a plot description. This doesn't sound like SH2. Unless you're someone who believes that any and all horror stories involving the protagonist's wife are property of Team Silent.

It is hard to tell from these shots but it almost looks like his stubble is growing. I wonder if he becomes more disheveled as days progress which would be cool assuming that it reflects his mental health.

(...and now every game with a gun has one to be mature rather it being a part of the developer's overall concept of what the game should be?)

belgurdo

Banned
evilromero said:
My only regret is he's holding a gun. Can't we move beyond this point? Do guns still make games mature? This industry will never evolve if we must rely on such a facet.

We're so sorry that Alan won't be screaming "WOOHOO! WAHA~!" every time he moves and killing monsters with incendiary flowers. Guess you'll just have to wait for the sequel

White Man

belgurdo said:
We're so sorry that Alan won't be screaming "WOOHOO! WAHA~!" every time he moves and killing monsters with incendiary flowers. Guess you'll just have to wait for the sequel

But there will be butt-stompin', right? I personally find assplay very mature.

Ceb

RE4 vs. SH4 said:
I just read a plot description. This doesn't sound like SH2. Unless you're someone who believes that any and all horror stories involving the protagonist's wife are property of Team Silent.

It doesn't sound a bit like SH2?

SH2 spoilers inside:

Man meets woman. Said woman dies/disappears. Man head off for backwater town. Man meets a "clone" of his ex-wife. Monsters start to come out of the darkness to haunt him. It turns out that he killed his wife.

Hmm...

That said, I'm really looking forward to this.

In evilromero's defense - Isn't daytime supposed to be "safe" in Alan Wake? Meaning that he wouldn't have to walk around with a gun (or a flashlight for that matter).

jimbo

Banned
"My only regret is he's holding a gun. Can't we move beyond this point? Do guns still make games mature? This industry will never evolve if we must rely on such a facet."

Dude shooting something with a gun in a videogame is STILL one of the most instantly gratifying experiences and always will be. Guns in games will never go away, or even die down, and they shouldn't. It's just plain fun.

eso76

djm19 said:
why are there never people around?!

I always feel so lonely in these games :(

Actually the game is supposed to have a lot of people following their daily schedules in town, Shenmue like, or GTA like if you prefer. It appears that during the day, life in Brightfalls town will look perfectly normal.

I was also wishing they could make the game interesting without having to include guns, monsters and such, and maybe even out any form of combat at all...i guess we'll have to see, maybe the gun is there temporary for marketing reasons only : P

Anyway, i've read somewhere that Alan Wake is practically finished, while someone else stated we shouldn't be expecting this till late 2006..
If the latter is the case i can't let myself being hyped about Alan Wake yet; if the game is really more than one year away, i am afraid many of the features it's supposed to include may get axed, as usual...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I mean, it's a horror game. Do you expect him to politely ask the enemies to go away?
Probably majority of horror movies don't involve people trying to shoot their way through the "enemies". It's kinda you know - the whole point of horror genre - facing things you can't simply blast away all the time.
That's why stuff like Doom3 completely fails to be scary on any level - wtf am I supposed to be afraid of when all the "scary" enemies are, is my cannon fodder.

Has nothing to do with maturity either - Phantasmogoria was more packed with 'mature' content then most games and it didn't involve wielding any weapons whatsoever.

eso76

Fafalada said:
Probably majority of horror movies don't involve people trying to shoot their way through the "enemies". It's kinda you know - the whole point of horror genre - facing things you can't simply blast away all the time.

Finally someone who agrees
I hate how 'horror' games (Silent hill especially, which should rely more on atmosphere rather than action) fill every area with craploads of dumb enemies; the first one might scare you, but after that, they become a nuisance; putting monsters at every corner makes them annoying, not frightening; they have to be VERY few and far between, and much more lethal. There are ways you can make the sections 'between' enemies interesting without having to resort to blasting things.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Man, have you even played SH and SH2? This is as close as it can get to not became an exact rip-off. On top of all that Ceb said,
you also have monsters that materialize from the character's own imagination
- which is again the exact thing again that happens in SH2 and SH. Now, I know SH games borrowed ideas heavily from varous Japanese horror movies ad well as Jacob's Ladder, but damn the story in Alan Wake looks like someone took SH stories and changed the names around a bit.

I'm actually saddened a bit about that, as to me it seems like a taint to an otherwise really promissing game (it's one of the very few next gen games that seems genuinly next gen to me)

Sony fanboy. Get outta here. :p
Why? This is coming to PS3 after all :p

Dr_Cogent

Banned
thorns said:
People who think the lighting is very special in the last pic need to play Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (Xbox version) which has very similar quality lighting IMHO.

seriously, ps2/gc-only gamers will notice a BIG difference in lighting next gen..

Xbox gamers will see a big difference as well. Xbox doesn't have many shader pipelines and lighting would get gimped dynamically in Splinter Cell: CT. I've seen it happen plenty.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Marconelly said:
Man, have you even played SH and SH2? This is as close as it can get to not became an exact rip-off. On top of all that Ceb said,
- which is again the exact thing again that happens in SH2 and SH. Now, I know SH games borrowed ideas heavily from varous Japanese horror movies ad well as Jacob's Ladder, but damn the story in Alan Wake looks like someone took SH stories and changed the names around a bit.

I'm actually saddened a bit about that, as to me it seems like a taint to an otherwise really promissing game (it's one of the very few next gen games that seems genuinly next gen to me)

"Alan Wake, the game's protagonist, is a bestselling horror writer, who writes a novel about his darkest nightmares. In the game, those nightmares come true..."

the story sounds more like Secret Window or In the Mouth of Madness

just because both premises involve monsters springing from the imagination of the protagonist in some fashion, doesnt mean its 'stealing' from that game.

Amir0x

Banned
evilromero said:
My only regret is he's holding a gun. Can't we move beyond this point? Do guns still make games mature? This industry will never evolve if we must rely on such a facet.

:lol

evilromero deserves a title for this. Come on, you know he does. "This industry will never evolve?" Hahahaaha. Classic.

His title should be "Guns = Mature" or "Do Guns still make games mature?", something along these lines.

Marconelly said:
Man, have you even played SH and SH2?

Posted by me a week or so ago:

"Thank you. It's pretty annoying to hear people praise SH2 for it's "unique" plot, when it's really anything but unique. I loved the game, and think it's the best overall in the series, but people give the writer's creativity waaay too much credit. SH2 did not create the "OMG, the main character has really been the murderer all this time!" plot twist, but people sure like to act like it did.

It handled it well, though. I don't mind cliches as long as they're taken in an interesting direction, and SH2's was interesting enough. If you've ever done reading on the astral plane, Silent Hill 2's setting seems like it was designed heavily around those principles, so it was kinda neat in the sense that you could actually have that kind of experience (if you believe in astral travel and are that fucked up in the head).

A lot of people who love Silent Hill 2 complain about the murky plot of Silent Hill 1, but I think that was largely the point. It had a very Lovecraftian vibe, with the cult and the awakening dark god. As most know, Lovecraft's philosophy on horror was that fear is derived from the mystery of the unknown, and to reveal too much about an antagonist or group of antagonists removes the element of mystery. I agree with that philosophy and think Silent Hill 1 did a fantastic job with it; my own half-formed ideas of the game's events are much more terrifying than anything the writer could explicitly tell me."

This is as close as it can get to not became an exact rip-off. On top of all that Ceb said,

It (SH) also rips off a lot of western fiction and other western movies. Silent Hill isn't very unique, no matter which one you're talking about, so it's absurd to say Alan Wake is ripping it off; several other works of fiction lay claim to those ideas before SH.

What gave Silent Hill its freshness was how it handled specific details, rather than any broad new ideas (this goes for any modern work of fiction). Since we don't know any specifics about the plot of Alan Wake, I'd say calling it a rip off is jumping the gun.

And Team Silent is mostly a Playstation developer. A multiplatform game, or the team who's next game will probably be PS3 exclusive - I wonder who you'd irrationally defend? ;)

Don't get me wrong. For a Sony fanboy, you do seem more rational than others. But I sense something inside of you; a righteous rage boiling beneath the calm exterior. It comes through in the consistency of your posts, and the lengths you'll go to to defend everything that Sony does. I think you want to go on crazy Futami-like rants at times, but unlike Futami you can keep your rage in check.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Your psychobabble aside (trust me, I have much more important things to worry about right now than righteous rage of what console maker comes on top, debates about that are just a diversion for me), you should know that my expectations for SH5 are in fact at an all time low, considering that SH4 was 'just yet another SH', and Alan Wake is a lot higher on my 'could be great' list compared to future work of SH team. Doesn't change the fact that the simillarities are just inescapable. As I said above, SH games did borrow from several Japanese horror movies, Jacob's Ladder, etc. but it's already done. One series has already borrowed from those sources, why does another one has to borrow from the exact same sources, and end up sounding the same?

so has anyone deciphered the hip 'play-on-words' with the name Alan Wake yet? I mean, it was like SOOOOOOO cool that Max Payne was like MAXIMUM PAIN for the bad dudes that killed his wife...right?
Maybe Alan Wake is like ALWAYS AWAKE BECAUSE HE'S IN HIS OWN PSYCHOLOGICAL HELL?!?!

I think I'm on to something...
I'll update you guys as I wrap my brain around this.

Marconelly said:
you should know that my expectations for SH5 are in fact at an all time low, considering that SH4 was 'just yet another SH', and Alan Wake is a lot higher on my 'could be great' list compared to future work of SH team.

SH4 didn't start out as a SH project, as I'm sure you know. It probably would have turned out much differently had the developers been allowed to retain their original setting. After the name change, they likely felt obligated to include some of those SH cliches.

Doesn't change the fact that the simillarities are just inescapable. As I said above, SH games did borrow from several Japanese horror movies, Jacob's Ladder, etc. but it's already done. One series has already borrowed from those sources, why does another one has to borrow from the exact same sources, and end up sounding the same?

I think a huge difference here is that his wife never actually died, as far as we know. In SH2, we KNOW Jame's wife had died. It changes so many things from the outset. As far as monster's being created by Alan's mind... it's just been done way too many times to identify it with Silent Hill.

so has anyone deciphered the hip 'play-on-words' with the name Alan Wake yet? I mean, it was like SOOOOOOO like cool that Max Payne was like MAXIMUM PAIN for the bad dudes that killed his wife...right?
Maybe Alan Wake is like ALWAYS AWAKE BECAUSE HE'S IN HIS OWN PSYCHOLOGICAL HELL?!?!

Huh, I always figured the names were just rhyming the vowels of the creator guy's name, but you're onto something there!

TheJollyCorner said:
so has anyone deciphered the hip 'play-on-words' with the name Alan Wake yet? I mean, it was like SOOOOOOO cool that Max Payne was like MAXIMUM PAIN for the bad dudes that killed his wife...right?

Heh, I remember in the first Max Payne there was one line where he as like "They wanted pain? Then they'll see the payne!" I could tell Remedy was just waiting for the moment to use that one.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
TheJollyCorner is on to something, pay attention to his words.

Oh and of course the main character is going to have a gun, its being made by the developer of MAX PAYNE for crissakes.

Add me into the boat of those anxiously awaiting this game, so far it sounds like an absolutely stellar game

eso76

Well, i thought the word WAKE in his name was obviously there for a reason.

Best i could come up with is, it appears daytime is perfectly fine in Brighfalls town, and Alan's nightmares are inhabited by all sorts of aberrations, so, ehm, Alan, better WAKE up !

HEH, ok.

Actually i think it's not only in his nightmares at all and he is actually.... A. WAKE
Yes, you're probably supposed to read his name like this, Mr. A.WAKE

Top Bottom